• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Red

Did you defeat Red?

• Yes

Votes: 87 84.5%
  • No

Votes: 16 15.5%

• Total voters

BonzaiMudkip

Senior Trainer
Years
  • i was able to defeat Red, it wasn't easy though since i had to level grind until my team was either at the same level as his or higher. though dispite being in a high level, his pikachu almost KO'd my first pokemon in 1 hit.

Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2011
    I found the battle to be rather easy. I was kinda disappointed by it =(

GaXeL

Feraligatr Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2012
    Yeah I used my monotypes, I taped it too lol... (sad I know)
    Feraligatr level 77
    Blastoise level 75
    Ludicolo level 74
    Wailord level 75
    Walrein level 73
    Cloyster level 72

MysticFlygon

Rookie Hacker
    Years
  • Even though Red's levels are higher, it seems like he's way easier now than hew was back during the original games. Every time I play through Soul Silver I beat him easily with a team of Pokemon usually in the 60s or low 70s. The only Pokemon I have trouble with is his Blastoise.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • I had to think back for a moment there. I finished the game quite a long time ago, but yeah I defeated him. It wasnt as much of a challenge to me as it was in the original games. Probably because I trained a lot more post-national dex.

Years
  • It was easier than I thought. I went into the battle with all of my Pokémon around level 70 and was able to take them down without too much difficulty. No legendaries or anything either.

jcsimpson

Sing into my mouth
    Years
  • My team is all lvl 59 right now so I'm not ready to face Red yet. I'm doing gym leader rematches until my team is all lvl 75 and then I'll take him on.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I was able to beat him twice. And both battles were hard. Both times I had a Tyranitar to change the weather from Hail to Sandstorm to cut the accuracy of the Blizzards of Snorlax and Lapras.

Fushigidane-Chan

Years
  • Not much of a challenge. His Pokemon need better attacks and better held items, and Pikachu needs to evolve (Lapras should be replaced altogether).

Sigilyph

local psychopath
    Years
  • I don't see how people find him challenging. I had a team all in their low 70's and kicked butt. My Golem did most of the work lol.

spike6958

TCG Collector
    Years
    • Age 35
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 30, 2021
    I beat him, like others have said he wasn't that difficult, just used the Pokemon team I had trained throughout the story.

Ryden

Friendly Lurker
    Years
  • I've yet to challenge him. don't actually plan to until I get around to beating the Elite Four second round

I suspect though like most of you, I'll probably feel it was easier then the metal gen counter part, however thats really should be expected. Think about it, most of us probably faced off against Red for the first time around 10 years ago. Through that time our Pokè Fu would of continuing to improve (providing your like me and been playing for those 10 damn years XD). What we know now, compared to back then should give us a great advantage, just in training our pokèmon alone

empty streets

Ace trainer ★
    Years
  • To be honest I have trouble almost every time I challenge him! No wonder he's the best trainer.. By "trouble" I mean that our battles are usually pretty time consuming, but I beat Red anyway.

RulerArceus

的なインターネッ? ??の最高級!
    Years
  • It wasn't that hard, and Soulsilver was my second PKMN game ever.
    But then Again, I had my level 70's Mewtwo and Ho-oh do most of the work.
    But they both died and my level 60 Typhlosion got lucky XD.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • In each of my playthroughs of HGSS (and GSC I suppose) I have beaten Red on the first attempt, despite usually going at him with no extra training, so with a team in the mid-50s or so. Mind you I do use a few healing items at times, and when I took him on with my grass-type only team it was...quite a stall war. XD

Back