• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Refurbed Graphics for the better :/ ?

Years
    • Seen Sep 6, 2011
    Hey all =)

I recently picked up pokemon saphire, began playing it on my DS and really enjoyed it even though it is fairly old and for the gameboy. So I decided I would purchase the new pokemon black, excited by having the latest version I loaded it up and saw the new 3D map (The bit where your man walks around mainly) and new battle arena graphics, I have to say I dislike them alot, although I havent played it much yet i far prefer the retro stylings of the 2D graphics. Now what does everyone else think ? do you like these new graphics, how long has it been like this and will I get used to them and grow to love them ?

mikeybx

Simmy93

Aspiring Emulator
    Years
  • Hey all =)

I recently picked up pokemon saphire, began playing it on my DS and really enjoyed it even though it is fairly old and for the gameboy. So I decided I would purchase the new pokemon black, excited by having the latest version I loaded it up and saw the new 3D map (The bit where your man walks around mainly) and new battle arena graphics, I have to say I dislike them alot, although I havent played it much yet i far prefer the retro stylings of the 2D graphics. Now what does everyone else think ? do you like these new graphics, how long has it been like this and will I get used to them and grow to love them ?

mikeybx

The third generation (sapphire) was the last generation to use '2D' graphics. Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HG and SS all used the new '3D' look however B&W took it a stage further. You will get use to it trust me, I Didn't like it at first but I really prefer it now.

Years
  • B&W's graphics tripped me out a little bit. I don't know why they downgraded though, why didn't they make the pokemon follow you? I LOVED THAT in HG&SS. :/

.,:;'`Ghost`';:,.

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
  • I kind of liked it. Except for the places like Castelia City and Black City. Those were kind of annoying.

But I like the 3D-like buildings better than the flat ones in GBA.

Years
    • Seen Sep 6, 2011
    Thanks all for the information :) and I guess I'd rather games on the DS which unfortunately cant handle the best graphics would have 2D and maybe "pixel style" and look good in it than have second rate 3D with Triacontagon pokeballs which are supposed to be round. What im getting at is that 2D graphics look like they are supposed to be like they are where as 3D smoother graphics can never be how they should look. You get me ?

Pikachukid

Conquest needs a sequel
    Years
  • I like them so far (I just picked one up recently too) except for Castelia City....Confusing and Waaaaaaaay to big for my taste...shoulda had another Solaceon city instead mumble mumble (lol)

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    2D graphics have their limits in RPG games, though. That's why nobody does it any more outside of DS games and purposely retro (and cheap) throwbacks like the Final Fantasy I/II remakes.

Unless you painstakingly draw multiple camera angles or pull off extremely ugly 2D tricks (see Mode-7 flying in SNES games like Final Fantasy) you're always going to be stuck in one view, usually the bird's-eye camera style of the earlier Pokémon games.

Using 3D graphics for the overworlds in Pokémon allows the artists to pull off much more detailed enviroments than they could do otherwise, and to play with the camera angle to enable far more dynamic views of the game world than we saw in Ruby and Sapphire versions, for example.

2D works in some circumstances. For most, 3D graphics work better and provide a far bigger scope for the game.

cazzler

Feraligatr FtW!
    Years
  • I used to hate playing B/W but it just grows on you, keep playing it and you'll begin to like it, I think its far serperior (pun intended) than the other graphics on previous gens.

Charicific

PkMn Trainer
    Years
  • The 3D Complexity shocked me, its just the filtering that wasn't right. Many edges looked Jagged. I also hated the in battle pixelated sprite. That's not their fault though, You don't expect a device like a DS to do Anti-Aliasing and Filtering too, that would be crazy! Of course, you get used to it. However, in my case...I have a solution to the pixelated art hehehe....

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    That's more of a case of "whoops our sprites are very quickly becoming inadequate for what we need to do with them, better get this out of the way with half-decent graphics."

Bowie

The one who came back
    Years
  • It doesn't really matter to me.. though I wish they would start using more high quality sprites for the Pokemon themselves as they still seem fairly similar to where they were when I first stopped playing after the original Gold Version, aside from the animations which are kinda meh for me.

oocyst

SOFTware
    Years
  • Like others said, you'll get used to the 3D. When I first started playing it was really weird for me, I never played 4th gen games so this was the first time with 3D. Some things aren't perfect yet, but it doesn't really bother me that much.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Well you're going to have to realise that the graphics do change every generation, from the black and white 2D sprites to the 3D renders B/W use at the moment.
    As for how I think they look. I honestly don't mind there isn't really much change in design at all, they use the same concepts but make them look better each region. (For example, adding colour > more definition > 3D render. idk if that makes sense to you)

I'm pretty interested in seeing what they do with the 3DS' capeabilities.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I loved B/W's graphics even when it was still in Japanese. The 3-D graphics that GF used have rubbed on me since D/P.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Definitely better. Don't want to go back to the full 2D days. They looked ugly in comparison. I can deal with the pixelated graphics in the games because although bad quality, they make the games look more realistic to me.

As for battle graphics, definitely better too. I don't even notice the backsprite issues anymore. I just wish they designed the actual battle scene better so it looks more realistic, but still - 100x better than R/S, etc days imo. :)

Years
  • [SIZE="a"]I actually really like the 3d graphics of black and white. It makes everything seem more life like to me which I think is what the games are going towards slowly. Though castelia city did annoy me just a little bit, I loved the buildings.[/SIZE]

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    I think the graphics are fine. Sure battles are really pixelated, but that's nothing future generations can't fix. Besides, it's the first time GameFreak has really went into giving full-on animations throughout a whole battle, and I like it.

quilzel

net start w3svc
    Years
  • B&W's graphics tripped me out a little bit. I don't know why they downgraded though, why didn't they make the pokemon follow you? I LOVED THAT in HG&SS. :/

.,:;'`Ghost`';:,.

Other than playing through Johto, that's what made the game my favorite.

I really like the graphics of Black and White, except for the sprites, The characters are all 2D, while the world is 3D. Don't get me started on the battle scenes. Sure the Pokemon look like they are breathing and you get to see their whole body (which is awesome) but they are all pixelated. Its like you have this beautiful world that has really good graphics( for a DS) and then bam, like a smack to the face, you get Minecraft graphics all of sudden. Now it wouldn't be so bad if wasn't just the Pokemon. But it is, It makes the battles seem pasted on.

Other than that I love it, the Dragon gym as so cool looking. Visually stunning imo.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Zooomed out White Forest makes me rage. Otherwise the graphics for the overworld were pretty good. I can't complain about them.

In battle, though, the graphics look terrible. And the fact that it zooms in on the Pokemon as an attack hits, showing off exactly how badly pixelated they actually are, makes it all the more annoying to look at. I would have gladly accepted non-animated battle sprites if it meant they looked better.

Back