• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Releasing pokemon; a burden on all of us.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
Years
  • This is a thread about releasing your Pokemon. A lot of us have to do it sometime or another, maybe that Pokemon is obsolete and you're a jerk of a trainer. Maybe you've just got no more room and the Muk you once befriended smelled so bad you couldn't handle it. Maybe you bawled your eyes out for freeing your Butterfree. Whatever the case, we've all got that option of releasing Pokemon to the wild to do whatever they please. So I've got some questions for you to answer.

Why is it that you release your Pokemon?
    How many Pokemon do you think you've released in your Pokemon Gaming days?
    What do you think happens to Pokemon after you release them?

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I only ever release Pokemon when I'm breeding for something specific, like right now my shiny Lapras. I breed 5, hatch 5, release 5, start over. I like to image that there are hundreds of Lapras in the Day Care's pool now, haha.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Why is it that you release your Pokemon?: I release Pokemon because I'm not happy with their natures, abilities and IVs.
    How many Pokemon do you think you've released in your Pokemon Gaming days?: I think at around 100+.
    What do you think happens to Pokemon after you release them?: I think they go off to the wild and look for other trainers or fend for themselves.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • I really my pokemon for PC space. At times I have literally had all my boxes filled with event pokemon. This was before I put them on file, so I really had no use since I was using the game for Trading purposes. I have no idea, I have done a lot of trading, and received a lot of junkers in return especially when I was doing services so I'd end up releasing a lot of pokemon. Their deleted and go back to Primary Village of course!

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    Why is it that you release your Pokemon?
    I never release them. Although most of them are waiting to see the light of the outside world again.
    Like I said, I NEVER RELEASE THEM!
    Deleted from the game
    I think they just go to the outside world and hide somewhere where no human has ever went to.

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
  • Why is it that you release your Pokemon? Wrong nature. or maybe a duplicate, triplicate, or replicate of a Pokemon I already have.

How many Pokemon do you think you've released in your Pokemon Gaming days? a hundred plus. Too many Axews, Magikarps, Eevees, and Riolus.

What do you think happens to Pokemon after you release them? They go to the wild, probably.

Pixel!

Smallest graphical unit
    Years
  • Why is it that you release your Pokemon? Accidental Catching,Accidental Releasing,Nuzlocke,Is useless and won't have an use again ...
    How many Pokemon do you think you've released in your Pokemon Gaming days? Dunno, 10-
    What do you think happens to Pokemon after you release them? Come back to the wild,but they don't show up to you never again

echolocated

rated R for robocop
    Years
  • Why is it that you release your Pokemon? I release my Pokemon simply because they take up too much space in my PC, though I only release the Pokemon that I have multiples of.

Only a few, usually never, except in Black.

What do you think happens to your Pokemon after you release them?
    They run back to the wild to find another trainer or they get deleted.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I don't think I've ever released a Pokemon. I certainly don't capture enough to warrant releasing for clear-out reasons, and I don't do any breeding either. I imagine if I did release a lil' critter, it'd just go back into the wild and frolic and play and be happy until another trainer ended up catching it. The circle of life and such!

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I accidentally released my event Mewtwo on my Japanese White the other day. Needless to say, I turned off the game, lol. But yeah, I don't release Pokemon like...ever. I don't have the heart. :(

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    I don't release my Pokemon unless, like nearly everyone else has said, it's a bad nature, IV, or I just don't like it. Other than that, I pretty much keep everything in my PC, waiting to see the light of day again. Sometimes I mark them to see if I can catch the Pokemon again. I think it's good fun.

For numbers, I'd say less than 20. I seriously don't breed that much to begin with, or I just don't care enough. They just go out in the wild when I do release them. I always think it's funny whenever I catch a Pokemon, the exact same one (at least I hope), since the markings are all the same. So yeah, they just go around being depressed since a trainer rejected them, meaning me. I'd be depressed anyway if I was thrown aside like dirty litter.

Lostworld

cosmic castaway
    Years
  • Why is it that you release your Pokemon? If I do, which is rarely, it's because I either pressed release by accident or I just had no use for the Pokemon.
    How many Pokemon do you think you've released in your Pokemon Gaming days? Not too many to be honest, the one I do remember releasing was the Croconaw I let go of by accident :(
    What do you think happens to Pokemon after you release them? I think releasing them is pretty much the same as abandoning a Pokemon.

Years
  • Why is it that you release your Pokemon? Duplicates of pokemon that are weaker then the others (Besides the Canidos Army!)
    How many Pokemon do you think you've released in your Pokemon
    [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]Gaming[/COLOR][/COLOR] days? probably less then 50...i don't like to release them...
    What do you think happens to Pokemon after you release them? I think that some of them go into the wild...then again one time I released a Bidoof cause it stunk...and all day long i only found/fought with bidoofs...e-e it was horrible...I think it was the same one too ><;

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
  • I normally release all the extra Pokemon I get through breeding. I released like 50 Bulbasaurs when I was trying to get a female one and inside I know they all found their way to Prof. Oak while he was in Sinnoh.

sherreamethyst

Dragonite's Momma
    Years
  • Why is it that you release your Pokemon?
    -To clean out and organize my PC. I hate releasing my Pokemon, so I only catch a few that I know I REALLY want. By the time I beat the game, I usually only have about 8-12 Pokemon or sometimes less.

-Probably about 30 to maybe even 60 or so. I have nooooo ideaaaa.....

-I think they get deleted off my saved profile.

Years
  • I've never really been in a position where I need to release anything - don't really have a lot of time to play the game too much.. I usually get distracted with a lot of other things..

But, given the situation, I'd try to trade them off usually in the trading center for something I don't have/something I want to breed and screw around with before releasing anything .. ya know the saying, another person's junk.. but thats largely based on what I don't already have.

I really wish they'd allow you to just give them away rather than deleting them, it's one of the things I loved about the Pokemon Stadium games.

In the future when I get serious about the metagame and breeding critters to my needs, and my dex is full, and no one wants my liter of Pichus, off to the wilds they go.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Bad natures, junk IV's, and even the wrong Hidden Power type. Basically, any that don't live up to my demands and expectations get the boot.
    At least in the 500-700 range. That *might* be a conservative estimate.
    Their data gets wiped off the game cartridge's RAM.

Years
  • I almost never release my pokemon. As I never try and play this game for stupidly serious gaming matters, I don't have a ton of pokemon nor care if some are inferior. When I used to breed a ton of pokemon I named every single baby and I kept them until they could find a new home.

Also, if anyone has read The Giver, you know what release really means. The anime and I think the games as well have talked about a problem with sharp increases and influx of pokemon in the wild. The manga also talks about having dangerously strong pokemon used to people out in the wild.

I'm pretty sure when you release a pokemon through the PC, (as opposed to outside like the anime) they are probably not transported to the wild, but to a facility. Like all facilities, they can only handle so much and have regulations to uphold. They probably get euthanized or sold to Team Rocket if they are not weak enough to be let out in the wild or cannot be adopted by a trainer/breeder. Much like animal shelters.

Years
    - When I accidentally catch a pokemon I didn't plan to have in my main team or as a HM slave.

- 4 to 5 pokemon, or so. I don't catch many pokemon aside from my main team.

- I like to imagine they just run out and frollick in the wild again, although I have some darker theories...

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • I release Pokemon only when I come across a Pokemon in my box that I find no use for. It's usually some crappy Pokemon with Cut that I tossed away at the start of the game. I don't release Pokemon that often so it's certainly not many. I've released about 20 as far as I can remember. They go home? idk

Back