• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Religion and Atheism

Years
  • Atheism has certainly come into prominence over the last century and has gained a great deal of attention and agreement in Western countries. At the same time, vast numbers of people around the world are still deeply religious.

The debate is by its nature a passionate one. I am an Atheist for many reasons, but I'm sure there are many people on here who are religious.

Years
  • I'm neither. Being agnostic I don't really concern myself with religion - it might be true and it might not be - but I don't really find it important. I tolerate people who are religious/atheist, however (and have lots of respect for most types of Buddhists). I'm not an in-your-face agnostic, I'll only talk religion if you bring it up with me.

As for the world, I think religion is going to become less important over time. A lot of children raised a certain way come to question the beliefs they've been taught where others never did and turn atheist or agnostic (I'm one of them, being born into a Catholic family). There will always be a concentrated group of people following religion, but if the current trends are anything to go by it's not going to be a big thing in the distant future.

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2011
    Obviously religion has lost its prominence over the years, that much can clearly be seen in America. My parents were Catholic, I was baptized, but they sort of just stopped going to church. I was never really expected to do anything more than pay lip service to my benevolent deity, and I think that's the case for a lot of people. People just get too busy, too bored, whatever, they became slowly more apathetic; they never got their kids into the spirit so to speak.

Also Agnosticism is the lazy man's Atheism, true story.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Seems like the world doesn't care for religion anymore...I reckon. I don't pay attention. I'm a Christian, though. Not the best to represent the title, but I do believe in God and all that jazz, but I'm not insanely religious or anything. Sometimes I honestly just...don't care. I guess that sounds bad to anyone else that comes to read this thread and is also a Christian, but hey, I don't care what people think of me.

I also think that Christians get a pretty bad reputation. Hey guys, we're not all knocking on your doors, passing out Bibles, and trying to get you to believe. Some of us actually accept how other people are. I'm not gunna think less of someone because they don't have the same beliefs as me.

The debate is by its nature a passionate one. I am an Atheist for many reasons, but I'm sure there are many people on here who are religious.

In my time here, I've found that most people on PC are agnostic or atheist. But maybe there are more religious people here and I just haven't been looking hard enough.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • You see, there's this little thing called faith that'll perpetually divide the theists from the atheists. People that have faith in their god will be reciprocated by feeling his presence while people that don't have faith are flabbergasted and bewildered that there are people that genuinely believe in a god to begin with.

Even though I'm of the former group, I'm not the kind of ill-reputed Christian that exists only to judge people and tell them that they're going to Hell for not believing in my god...mainly because that's not the kind of god I believe in. XD

I'm definitely a Christian, but there's more than a few things I'll disagree with regarding the Bible and church doctrine. It's all the work of men, and men have historically corrupted the concept of God to their liking. XD

All I believe is that God is a passive observer of the human race and He judges us based solely on our works...good deeds vs. bad deeds...not any superfluous and/or redundant declaration of faith. :P

Years
  • Also Agnosticism is the lazy man's Atheism, true story.
    Not necessarily. Atheism is a belief, just like religions. The only difference is that you believe there are no gods instead of believing there are. Agnosticism on the other hand is like having no real religious beliefs. That is why I am agnostic. It is a conscious choice, not something I choose because I'm "too lazy" to be an atheist.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • Well I'm atheist, but not because I believe there is a god, but because nobody has shown me scientific evidence of the existence of a god. The same way I don't think Unicorns exist even though they are mentioned in old legends from hundreds of years ago, I don't believe in a god just because of that.

But I also think that the mian point of religions is giving you a set of rules and morals to help you live a happier life. If I can have my own morals to be happy and make the people around me happy as well, I don't think I need to follow some set by any religion (which always include some... rather pointless ones).

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
  • There was a lot of negative questions raised and a lot of hate when Australia's first female PM, Julia Gillard announced she was an atheist. Being a Christian, mainly Catholic country that caused much hate of her by some :/ Having an atheist President or PM would not be something many countries would approve of, and in most religious countries that would never happen.

However I am an atheist. I was baptized a Catholic, I go to a Catholic school, I go to church on Easter, but I don't believe. I just don't by all those stories how Mary claimed she was blessed by the Holy Spirit and became pregnant with Jesus. I mean how do we know she didn't make that up to save her marriage? That is the main reason why I don't believe, there is just no reliable evidence :/ But that is just me.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • I consider myself atheist. I'm tolerant of most people, though, regardless of their beliefs. Obviously there are some exceptions.

Not necessarily. Atheism is a belief, just like religions. The only difference is that you believe there are no gods instead of believing there are. Agnosticism on the other hand is like having no real religious beliefs. That is why I am agnostic. It is a conscious choice, not something I choose because I'm "too lazy" to be an atheist.
    Apatheism is a better term to describe what you're talking about. Agnosticism is more the (rather obvious) idea that the idea of a deity or deities cannot be proven or disproven. It's an uncertainty about the existence of a higher power, which everyone is to some extent.

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    Atheism isn't a belief. It's a non-belief. When you don't believe in Santa it isn't called a "belief". I don't see why there is even a word for atheism.

Years
  • I don't see why there is even a word for atheism.
    People like to have terms to differentiate themselves from others, that way you can say things like "we're the similar-to-ourselves group and not at all like the different-from-us group over there." We're individualistic. We like to be able to say "I'm not like you" even if it means we have to form a collective to do so.

Years
  • Atheism isn't a belief. It's a non-belief. When you don't believe in Santa it isn't called a "belief". I don't see why there is even a word for atheism.
    What? You still believe that there is nothing. Why is a non-belief of existence any more valid than a belief in non-existence? :P

twocows, you're totally right, but the issue stems from people wanting a universally-known word to categorise their beliefs. "Apatheism" isn't exactly obvious to some people. Heck, many people will say they are Atheist, when they are either agnostic or apatheist, because everyone knows that it means they do not believe in a god. I hope you understand what I mean.

Years
  • Apatheism is a better term to describe what you're talking about. Agnosticism is more the (rather obvious) idea that the idea of a deity or deities cannot be proven or disproven. It's an uncertainty about the existence of a higher power, which everyone is to some extent.
    There are different types of agnosticism, but ultimately I'm only apatheist because I'm agnostic. I figure there's no way of knowing whether gods exist, and that's why I don't worry about it.

Atheism isn't a belief. It's a non-belief. When you don't believe in Santa it isn't called a "belief". I don't see why there is even a word for atheism.
    Atheism is a belief that there are no gods. If you think Santa is not real, then that's a belief that Santa is not real. I won't go any further than this because I'm replying to Jolene and that means I'm probably being trolled XD

Poster

Will pixel art for pizza
    Years
  • twocows has made a very interesting blog about the clarifications between Atheist and Agnostic.[/QUOTE]

Seems like the world doesn't care for religion anymore...I reckon. I don't pay attention. I'm a Christian, though. Not the best to represent the title, but I do believe in God and all that jazz, but I'm not insanely religious or anything. Sometimes I honestly just...don't care. I guess that sounds bad to anyone else that comes to read this thread and is also a Christian, but hey, I don't care what people think of me.
    I think that regardless of whether you care or not, you are aware that this opinion is entitled to you and won't sound bad to another Christian. Like it didn't sound bad to me. I'm a Christian, and even though in Greece this is a given, I've seen many people around me claim to be Christians but not care at all. Of course, being insanely religious, as you said, is the other side of the same coin as not caring at all is.
    I also think that Christians get a pretty bad reputation. Hey guys, we're not all knocking on your doors, passing out Bibles, and trying to get you to believe. Some of us actually accept how other people are. I'm not gunna think less of someone because they don't have the same beliefs as me.
    That's true. I never heard of the bible thing before, though xD
    It's even in our beliefs, Jesus said: "whoever is willing to, come after me". Freedom of belief is an extremely good thing in our world. It also marks the fact that you can be considered a good person no matter your religious beliefs, so one is not bound to it at all.
    In my time here, I've found that most people on PC are agnostic or atheist. But maybe there are more religious people here and I just haven't been looking hard enough.
    Oh, perhaps I'm one of the most religious people you'll ever find on PC (not bragging about it), but I don't talk about that unless someone wants me to. I guess you have been looking hard enough, but I haven't.

Yukimi

Nautical Star
    Years
  • I suppose the term "atheism" exists because it's only one word, whereas "I'm not religious" is three.

I'm agnostic. God and heaven sound wonderful, I sincerely hope they exist, but there are too many things that make it seem unlikely.

Emperte

はがねタイプ
    Years
  • I don't affiliate myself with religion simply because I think it's a manmade thing used to explain something extraordinary. My beliefs are my own and not inspired by any religion

Everyone Esplode Noaw

Resident Russia Fanboy
    Years
  • I am religious. But, like Sydian, I'm not too big on it at all. Yes, I accept God as my creator and Jesus as my savior, but the churches are all corrupted. Well, most of them anyway. I choose to avoid the subject of going to church because I don't want to hear someone telling me what I should believe.

God, I believe, is a forgiving one. And with that, I believe if you are a truly good person, you will have eternal peace and happiness.

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2017
    I wonder what a clear term could be for describing me.

I am deist in the sense that, I believe that there is a God, but that God has just made everything including the laws of physics and nature, given us a mind to be able to think on our own, and then decided that now that God has made a system that supports itself, God wants to see what the human being or other living being does given the existing system and the freedom to decide for or against something with equal probabilities.

I'm an atheist in the sense that, other than God and some ideas of religion, I disagree with the other 95% of religion which deals with forcing other beliefs and ways of life. There are only a few things that I take from religion, like believing in afterlife. The rest I can choose whether to believe or not based on logic and morals.

Sometimes in the past, I have had agnostic mindsets for a while, because that was my transformation stage from being forced to be a theist to becoming my true self and not fearing anymore to accept what I believe in.
    So, in the end, maybe you can just call me a deist after all.

I have no problem with people who are theists or atheists, as long as neither of the groups are trying to be just annoying. You can share your beliefs, but please, don't force them on me. Nobody has been able to logically prove that their stance is indeed correct because it is, after all real. In the end, it's always a belief, and I'm very accepting of the fact that everyone has a different one.

I try not to bring up any discussion of who is right or wrong, because that normally leads to bad things.
    You can tell me your religious belief, and I can tell you mine, but don't force things, and don't judge people based on their beliefs. I am open and accepting towards the other more 'normal' atheists and religious people as much as I can be accepting.

I always believed, and still believe that, God is not just superior in most ways, but in all ways. So, that would include God having an open and accepting mind. But the way religion is portrayed isn't something in total that seems like the product of such an open logical being in my opinion.
    I believe that near the beginning of a lot of religions, and after that throughout the ages, the original ideas of religion, whatever they might have been, has been corrupted to great levels by people who spread these beliefs first. They have done so to their liking.

The part about religion that I like the most is that, it is mainly just a way of life that was at least designed to allow people to live a life as greatly as it can be lived. This composes of beliefs, rules, and morals. But then, it went to be practised in a way that I don't like most points about it.
    I have my own small box of beliefs, the word 'rules' just sounds bad as it is forcing people, and the word 'moral' is just another sort of belief that is sometimes logical.
    As for me, I make up my own beliefs, i.e. deism, I completely dislike the word rules in this context, and most importantly to me, I make up my own morals and codes to live by, after judging what I feel is wrong or right, or what I feel should be done in a situation.

I'm positive that religion is going to become more diluted and twisted over time, until one day when it stops existing and people choose to instead live by rational thinking, healthy thinking, and their own morals. I'm actually happy about that being a greater possibility, at least from what I think.
    Laws wouldn't be made if people were just good to begin with, or if people accepted that different people have different beliefs about all things. In the same way, religion won't need to be there once people just know not to do things that harms, not to do things that even they believe is wrong, and just learn to be happy that way and keep people happy. But then again, a good part of being unhappy about someone else often arrives from the idea that they have different beliefs and opinions, rather than the reason that they have harmful ways of doing things. Once people learns to accept beliefs and opinions based on logic and not just pure instincts, and just give other opinions a break, I believe all will be fine without religion.

Sorry for the long post, but that's just me. I don't want to help myself from saying all that I want to in these topics.

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
    Years
  • I'm totally Atheist, as all of you can see. :D

Actually, no. In all seriousness, I'm a Catholic, and I'm... fairly proud of it.

Yes, I've shown the obnoxious Religious Crusader side on this forum a lot, but I do have my reasons...

While I'm fine with Atheists and Agnostics (Doubt is useful in building beliefs, after all), I can't stand the mindset of some Atheists, nor can I stand the mindset of some religious.

People that believe in religion are not "superstitious fools", nor do we cling to some useless tradition out of blindness and weakness. We do not believe in Christ as a cheap joke, and we do not regard religion as "just another part" of life. This is why I honestly...

I honestly despite "lapsed" Christians. You're a practicing Christian, or you aren't. Simple as that.

And, now that I've ripped on Atheists...

I also, however, despise Christians/Muslims/Whoever who are just as bad as their potential converts. The people that feel a need to preach to all others, or to spread their religion by violent means...

Meh, it's life. It's the world.

But is wiping away all religion really the answer?

Is forcefully creating religious hegemony really the answer?

Back