• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Religious beliefs

Evanlyn

Kidneys! I've got new kidneys!
Years
  • A god that's all-knowing and gave us free will? That's a logical contradiction that cannot exist.

I used to think that too, it does seem really contradicting.
    The thing is that God does know everything, so he knows what decisions we will make, but he doesn't 'program' it into us so we're like robots (hopefully that makes sense!) So, he knows every single path that we can make with our decisions, and he also knows what decision we will make - it is really confusing.

Are you apart of a religious belief?
    Yes
    What religious group do you belong to?
    The Catholic Church
    Are there any strict restriction that don't allow you to do something?
    Yes, I'm not allowed to do things, but I've been taught that having rules can set you free (somehow) :)
    Are there any strict restrictions on what you can and cannot eat?
    Not usually. Just in Lent (the 40 days before Easter) I'm not allowed to eat meat every Friday.
    How long have you been in this religion?
    My whole life.
    Have you ever thought of leaving your current religious belief for a different religion?
    I used to think about leaving to go into a different Christian church or something ('the grass is always greener on the other hill' type of mindset) but in the past few years I've decided that this is where I want to be and this is where I'm staying.
    How many times a week do you have to go to church(or a place of worship)?
    Once a week - on Saturday night or Sunday.
    How many times a week do you have to pray?
    I am supposed to pray constantly, and I am trying to - it just can be hard. I try to pray once a day, before I go to sleep.
    Have people ever judged you soley because of your religious belief and not getting to know you?
    Thankfully, no, I don't think so, not yet :)

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2012
    Are you apart of a religious belief?
    No.
    Atheism.
    Laws of course.
    Nope.
    About 3 years.
    Have you ever thought of leaving your current religious belief for a different religion?
    I've considered other religions in the past but not since I became an atheist.
    Zero.
    Zero.
    Have people ever judged you soley because of your religious belief and not getting to know you?
    Yes.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • This thread is only for discussion(no debates allowed!!!) so we can learn more about different religious beliefs.

Since man has ever walked the Earth there has always been a spiritual faith of some kind and they followed strict codes of conduct. And over time it's changed and changed again but does it really make sense these days to someone outside of the religion? No, it does not. If the media says someone... let's say a terrorists is of the Muslim faith, a lot of people will jump the boat and say that everyone apart of that religion is a terrorist. Now I know most of us aren't like that but we still don't know a lot about that religion, that's what this thread is for; learning and understanding so we can all work towards a better future where someone isn't discriminated based on their beliefs.

I'm going to leave some questions here to will help discussion, you don't have to answer all of them and feel free to ask your own questions(you don't have to copy and paste these questions into your post).

1. Are you apart of a religious belief?
    2. What religious group do you belong to?
    3. Are there any strict restriction that don't allow you to do something?
    4. Are there any strict restrictions on what you can and cannot eat?
    5. How long have you been in this religion?
    6. Have you ever thought of leaving your current religious belief for a different religion?
    7. How many times a week do you have to go to church(or a place of worship)?
    8. How many times a week do you have to pray?
    9. Have people ever judged you soley because of your religious belief and not getting to know you?
    1. No
    2. n/a
    3. Yes, it's called my moral compass
    4. No
    5. I have never associated with a religious group
    6. A few times; some branches of Hinduism are similar to my worldview, but only philosophically
    7. n/a
    8. 0
    9. Not that I can think of but I don't go around broadcasting my non-beliefs

Broken_Arrow

Paper Plane
    Years
  • Wait, but:
    "Believers, make war on the infidels who dwell around you. Deal firmly with them." (Surah 9:121-)
    "Slay them wherever you find them...Idolatry is worse than carnage...Fight against them until idolatry is no more and God's religion reigns supreme." (Surah 2:190-)

War generally includes killing, right? So then doesn't God say to kill? It also doesn't mention mercy for the old, for females or for children.
    Terrorism may not have a religion, but religion can lead to terrorism.

first..thanks for reading about my religion ^^

the first thing you put sura 9 ayah 121 is about prophet moses and the sorcerers it says litterly "saying:we believe in the lord of the worlds"..please make sure of the Ayah and surah name again is it the same number of ayah and surah? cuz this is what i have here i have a holy quran book in English BTW...so please make sure of the numbers again..i don't know any Ayah say that though.

about the second one..which starts with slay them...here's the whole Ayah

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

Fight in the cause of god those who fight you(which mean that they started the fight)but don't transgress limits;for god loveth not transgressors.190and slay them whenever you catch them and turn them out from where they have turned you out..till the end of Ayah

and by the way next Ayah says "but if they cease God is Oft-forgiving,most merciful"

what i mean that this ayah you bring was a bout people start a fight with Muslims...anyone start a fight with you i believe you have the right to protect yourself..Holy Quran never said kill for no reason..prophet Mohammed married a christian woman and she stayed christian..he never forced her to Islam..and she died Christian i guess.

what happened with you like this..Example:

i said to my friend "if you ever mess with my games like this again i will kill you" and someone came from outside and heard the part i will kill you..so that person would think i was threaten her..he didn't hear the first part..you understand what am i saying?

I'm a muslim..i want peace..i hate wars,i hate that people have to die for nothing...and i hate misunderstanding too..i have lots of dreams and i wish happiness to everyone i hate lies and i love honest i like music and singing i go to school i have friends...etc..i mean my life isn't different from your lives...and i hate to say my kind and your kind cuz we all human.

i hope you understand me and please make sure again from the first Ayah..^^

i hope i helped you to understand though :)

Zet

Years
  • Since I made this thread it is only fair that I make a reply to it.

I was born and raised as a Catholic with my dietary restrictions only being no red meat on a friday during good friday. The only real restriction with the religion I stick with is no sex before marriage since my moral compass already told me long before the 10 commandments that stealing and stuff is wrong. And I feel as though the 10 commandments were only made so people could get their moral compass on the right path. I used to go to church once a week when I was a kid but I rarely went when I was 11 to 13, and I stopped completely after that since I don't see why I should waste God's time when God knows I already love him.
    Lately I have thought of trying out a different religion to learn different religious beliefs and see if I find one that I like better than Christianity since it's a mockery of just about everything these past few decades. The only stuff that is preached is old testament stuff which is outdated and makes God look like a vengeful dick even though in the new testament he's this loving guy who loves everyone even if their sexuality isn't heterosexual.

Years
  • I used to go to church once a week when I was a kid but I rarely went when I was 11 to 13, and I stopped completely after that since I don't see why I should waste God's time when God knows I already love him.
    If you don't mind my asking, what exactly is it like to feel love toward a person (entity? deity?) who isn't physically present in your life? Unless there is a physical presence for you, in which case could you explain that instead? :) I try to see how this works for people, but I can never seem to understand.

Kano Shuuya

→ you're here, aren't you?
    Years
  • I really don't have much to say about religion, unless you really get me ranting about the fights that it seems to cause. In general, I have nothing against any of the religions nor the people who follow them, because I believe that people should follow whatever faith, or lack there of makes them the most comfortable. One of my best friends is highly religious, and it doesn't bother me. -shrug-

I was raised a Christian for such a small amount of time that I barely remember it. My mom started out religious but then strayed. My grandpa thought it would be good for me to go to Sunday School!Church when I was little, and be surrounded by it, so he took me. Though, by the time I was 5 or 6 I was apparently complaining about it, couldn't focus on it, or didn't care. During my first two or three times going to an actual church when I was 7 or 8, I decided I wasn't having any of that ever again. I've only gone twice since then, and that was going with a friend and her family. :|

So I guess.. I strayed away from it on my own, and have stayed separate from any region since then. My family didn't force me to go, because they said "We tried, you just didn't want any part of it". A lot of the morals "Love your enemies", etc, are things that I follow out of my own judgement, but I don't do them with the thought in mind that they're tied to any religion.

Edit: I guess I should also mention that at points in my life that are really bad, I do tend to "pray", or at least wish, and it's directed to God, so to speak. So I suppose that some part of me believes to an intent, it just.. doesn't come into focus beyond that. I never think about it.

Zet

Years
  • If you don't mind my asking, what exactly is it like to feel love toward a person (entity? deity?) who isn't physically present in your life? Unless there is a physical presence for you, in which case could you explain that instead? :) I try to see how this works for people, but I can never seem to understand.
    Isn't physical love just another meaning for sex? Though if you want to get down to it, some people say that a piece God is inside all of us, so I guess it's just a metaphor for loving oneself and accepting who we are.

Years
  • Are you apart of a religious belief?
    Sikhism
    Sikh
    (For the individuals that have been baptized)
    stay away from the five evils-
    ego, anger, greed, attachment, and lust
    -
    Cutting hair
    Intoxication
    Adultery
    Blind spirituality
    Material obsession
    Sacrifice of creatures
    Non-family-oriented living
    Worthless talk
    Priestly class
    Eating meat killed in a ritualistic manner
    Having premarital or extramarital sexual relations
    Eating meat killed in a ritualistic manner
    Since birth
    Nope
    at least once a week, usually Sunday
    No set amount, I try to pray everyday
    People have called me a terrorist, and have said that I am a Muslim (Not saying Muslims are terrorists). I've tried to explain that I am not, but it's of no use, guess some people are to thick headed.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Are you apart of a religious belief? Sort of.
    What religious group do you belong to? Islam.
    Are there any strict restriction that don't allow you to do something? I wouldn't call it strict, and I understand where it comes from: don't eat pork, non-halal food, don't kill people (no, really), um, sex after marriage, etc.
    Are there any strict restrictions on what you can and cannot eat? Pork, non-halal food.
    How long have you been in this religion? Since birth.
    Have you ever thought of leaving your current religious belief for a different religion? Not really.
    How many times a week do you have to go to church(or a place of worship)? Regretfully, never.
    How many times a week do you have to pray? Again, never >:
    Have people ever judged you soley because of your religious belief and not getting to know you? You wouldn't believe how many times I have been. People prefer me when they don't know my religion. It really, really bugs me.

Chiar

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2014
    1. Are you apart of a religious belief?
    No.
    2. What religious group do you belong to?
    None. I'm atheist.
    3. Are there any strict restriction that don't allow you to do something?
    No.
    4. Are there any strict restrictions on what you can and cannot eat?
    No.
    5. How long have you been in this religion?
    Since birth.
    6. Have you ever thought of leaving your current religious belief for a different religion?
    No, never.
    7. How many times a week do you have to go to church(or a place of worship)?
    8. How many times a week do you have to pray?
    9. Have people ever judged you solely because of your religious belief and not getting to know you?
    Yes, but it happens very rarely even though I live in a quite religious country.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • Are you a part of a religious belief? No, I'm atheist.

Are there any strict restriction that don't allow you to do something? "Don't do anything that you wouldn't want anybody to do to you".

Are there any strict restrictions on what you can and cannot eat? Not really, other than health-wise.

How long have you been in this religion? Not sure, technically since birth as I never did any religious rituals so I never actually joined any religion I could leave.

Have you ever thought of leaving your current religious belief for a different religion? No.

Have people ever judged you soley because of your religious belief and not getting to know you? Yes, and it was my fault for going to a Christian summer camp, I guess XD Only some stupid kids cared though, surprisingly any of the priests didn't say anything at all.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I was baptized as Christian/Catholic, but I've only been to church two or three times in my life for funerals, baptisms, communions of relatives (for support), etc, and I don't practice the religion at all. I don't consider myself religious. I am, however, a very spiritual person. If someone asks me what religion I am, I group that with spirituality, and say pantheism. Ultimately, I believe there is a god, and that nature, the universe, and god are one of the same. I think I take a lot of my beliefs from a lot of different religions, though. For example, I believe in reincarnation. I believe in a final resting place, but I also believe that it takes a lot to get there. I believe that the spirit goes on after the body dies, and enters a new life.

Ayselipera

I don't really know. I sort of have my own idea, but I never put much thought into it and I don't knock out any previous ideas. I don't think about it much at all anymore to be honest. I usually just say Atheist for convenience.

Anyways I used to be Roman Catholic to be specific and my parents forced me to go to religious school, go through communion, and confirmation. I used to believe and then I started questioning it when I was really young until by the time I was about 11 I think I had pretty much stopped believing, but never said anything because it wasn't worth it. All that time I had still been going to religious school and hated it so I eventually told my parents I didn't believe in it and they pretty much just laughed at me and forced me to keep going until it finally ended with my confirmation. According to them I will thank them later in life.

I haven't been to church in years and I never pray and never really did to begin with. I haven't had anyone not want to talk to me for not believing, but I have had people try really hard to convert me and I've had countless people tell me I'm going to burn in hell while they will be saved for believing. Which is in no way exaggerated.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • I'm part of no religious belief - I'm an atheist, and if I'm honest with myself, an anti-theist. I was thankfully not brought up in a religious household, but I did go to scripture classes in school and I guess I believed in God only through being taught by adults and not being old enough to know any better. It was in one of these classes in sixth grade, when I was 11 years old that I had what I refer to as my "lol wait a minute" moment and realised that while it was a very convincing story, none of it could possibly be true and stopped living my life in fear of divine retribution.

I was lucky this happened when I was 11, because when I figured out I was gay the next year, the mental outcome could have been entirely different - catastrophic, even.

While I became an atheist at a young age, it wasn't until I was around 16 that I bothered reading up on things and confirming my beliefs. Now I'm happier than ever and I can live freely. There are no restrictions on what I can do or what I can eat, I don't have to waste my time praying or attending weekly mass, Christmas Day can just be a day of relaxation... I really am 'living the dream' as it were, a life without fear.

What I've learned through both my readings and my sporadic encounters with religion that each one is an institution based on fear and control. When you are deeply religious, your mind belongs to them and your life becomes a giant manic preparation for the afterlife. I personally can't fathom an existence where a person could be so presumptuous as to take for granted that they're going to get a second life after death that they'd waste the life they know they have trying to ensure its quality.

I don't judge people for believing in God. I understand that it's sometimes a thing that people need to feel safe in the grand scheme of things. Belief in a deity is a psychological safety net. It's just a shame that religion had to come along and regulate it and corrupt it so absolutely.

In the end, I guess you could say that I only trust religion as far as I can throw it. I respect that people are religious, but I don't respect religion. It gets too much of a free pass in this world just by virtue of being religion. It is somewhat sacred, like "oh no you can't do/say that, religion wouldn't be happy". I don't believe in that at all. I'll do and say what I like and I'll live my life how I wish, regardless of what anybody says.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    A question for those who follow a particular religious belief; what do you think of other religious beliefs and teachings? For one example, if you're a Sikh, what do you think of Christian ideas, the bible, etc.?

-Jared-

Certified Responsible Adult
    Years
  • A question for those who follow a particular religious belief; what do you think of other religious beliefs and teachings? For one example, if you're a Sikh, what do you think of Christian ideas, the bible, etc.?

I just wanna state here, even though I have done so elsewhere, that I am Lutheran.

Basically, I am VERY tolerant of others beliefs or lack thereof. And I don't know much about other religions, but from what I do know, most of them have ideals that I feel are good ways of living. Therefore, I think that anyone should be able to just believe whatever they want to believe (or not believe, as the case may be. xD).

Zet

Years
  • A question for those who follow a particular religious belief; what do you think of other religious beliefs and teachings? For one example, if you're a Sikh, what do you think of Christian ideas, the bible, etc.?

Honestly, I don't know what to think. I know very little about different religions(Muslim, Hinduism, Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormonism are some I know about) to form a strong opinion, but I hope to learn more from this thread.

Briar

how do you make coffee sexy?
    Years
    i'm not very knowledgeable of other religions, although i know a little bit on islam. correct me if i'm wrong, but the muslims don't believe jesus christ to be God's/Allah's son. rather, they believe He is just a prophet. this conflicts with my beliefs as a christian, but i never let it bother me. after all, it's just from a different perspective, but it still is one God. as for other religions, in general, i have a sort of "to each his own" mentality. after all, don't we have one thing in common? the belief that there is something/there are things bigger than ourselves, be they god/gods/goddesses or just spirits? but of course, i'd want to also be educated in the beliefs of those coming from different religions and/or sects.

Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2011
    True, Muslims do not recognize Jesus as God's son, they believe that God "hasn't been born, has no son" something along these lines. I know quite a lot of Muslims where I reside. What I know, and do correct me if I'm wrong or overstepping any lines, is that if you do abide by your religious duties (fasting in Ramadan, praying), express faith in Allah and don't question what's in the Holy Qur'an, and remain righteous throughout your lives, you are bound for Heaven after death; otherwise, you're bound to Hell. There are cases which I am not well-aware of that states that sometimes you'll suffer in Hell then go to Heaven? No quite sure about this. I know about the pilgrimage to Mecca known as the Haj which is an objective to Muslims who properly practice the religion (they believe every Muslim is expected to make that religious journey once in his/her lifetime, for every sin, every misconduct he/she did will be forgiven, forgotten). Women are not oppressed in Islam as I heard some do believe that; in the Qur'an there states that a good man is a man who treats his wives, his family well. Muslims generally tend to stay away from anything not labeled as Halal, such as pork..

This is some that I know of. There are more, but I cannot seem to properly express them in words. And again, this is what I know from my friends so do correct me if I said something inappropriate or wrong.

This somehow conflicts with my religious beliefs but there seems serious logicality in their doctrines, their beliefs which I am not entitled to either attack or contrast.

Back