• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Remember when... Pokemon edition

chezhead

Thirty characters is not enoug
Years
  • I remember those link cables.

My next door neighbors, my only friends from ages 3-10, played pokemon obsessively. We stopped playing other games once Diamond and those came out.
    When we were younger, we would play pokemon cards ALL DAY, and not just the card game! We would pretend the pokemon came out of the cards like that one other anime (I don't remember).

We would play pokemorphs (I was ALWAYS the Alakazam) all day, ride to the gas station to get "revives" (Now and Laters) and "potions" (This sour spray stuff), and I still remember when my level 60 something Fraligator struck fear into their hearts...

Ah, those days were the best. Beating the E4 was awesome in my neighboorhood...

Oh, and the rumors going around about if you pressed those "gold" plate things you get from Burger King on the batteries of your gameboy would transfer that pokemon onto it...

Pressing B and down at the same time when the pokemon flashed after being hit would give it a critical hit... I still do that.

You know when GB games were put in the GBA, you could make it widescreen? Well in our neighborhood, we believed that you would do better when it was in the original GB screen size.

When I got Diamond, I would sit in our bathroom, as that was the closest to my neighbor's house, it was across another house's back yard. I couldn't connect to her game's underground, but I couldn't leave the house... so I just opened up the bathroom window, and saw her doing the same at the other house, and we CONNECTED THE GAME. I was standing in an uncomfortable position the entire time, so my back was sore for a bit after an hour of "capture the flag" underground.

If you released your pokemon into the wild, you could find them in grass and stuff... so I thought... I released my Fraligator into the wild, but couldn't find it. Good thing I didn't save the game.

Those chameleons we saw when we took trips to see relatives in California were pronounced Charmelion for me, my family had no idea what I was talking about.

I was at the dentist one day, and was playing Ruby when I was 7 or something. I saw some other kid playing Sapphire, and I wanted to trade with him to get all the exclusives, so I ran into my car to get a link cable (yeah, I kept those things in my backpack) and to my disappointment, he was gone. I was so sad...

EVs? I still don't understand those... I just loaded up all my pokemon on those Carbos and those things. That's what everyone did.

All the fun was over when my friend got a Action Replay, killing EVERYONE with her lvl 100 legendaries...

The only level 100 pokemon I even touched was my friend's legitimate 100 Swampart she got on Ruby that she traded to me for a day so I could beat something...

Last edited:

The Girl Once named Tracie

She who tames Celebi
    Years
  • Remember when we ran around, screaming pokemon names, pretending to be one?

Or how we never got bored of running into the millionth zubat?

Or when the were walls of pokemon videos at the local rental store?

Or when you found enough stones in the game for every evolution?

Or how there was only one safari zone?

Or when Cinnabar Island was put together?

Swimmer Ryan

Training Water Types Since '99
    Years
  • Remember when you could go to Wal-Mart and you had to stand for like thirty minutes in the toy aisle trying to decide which Pokemon toy you wanted to get. (This might just be me, I dunno!) Now, I'm lucky if I can find a pack of cards when I go out. >_>

Remember when the only types were normal, grass, water, fire, electric, psychic, rock, and fighting?

Remember when EVERYONE knew what Pokemon was, whether they liked it or not?

Remember when Onix didn't evolve?

I miss when Misty was the only girl in Ash's life. *cries* And I miss the original voice actors. I miss them so, so much.

The Generation I types were
    Remember when... Pokemon edition

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • I remember I used to get up on Saturday mornings at 8:50, fix me a giant bowl of Frosted Flakes or Captain Crunch and watch the full hour of brand new pokemon episodes. (johto and hoenn saga)

chezhead

Thirty characters is not enoug
    Years
  • i remember when my friend couldn't watch pokemon because his parents thought it was too violent.
    He watched that You Gi oh show instead.

Did anyone pretend food was items? Anyone?

HeidiMoose

[Insert User Title Here]
    Years
  • I remember when I used to wake up at 6 in the morning every day (except Sunday.. no Pokemon), and record the new episode of Pokemon on VHS.
    I have about 20+ tapes with nothing but Pokemon on them.
    Unfortunately, none of the original series episodes are in order until the later ones.. the first one I ever saw was when Ash and Co. were on Cinnabar Island.

I remember playing Pokemon with my best friend in his room and we would pick cards of the Pokemon we were going to use and acted it out as if we were the trainers and the Pokemon.
    Now his little brother is the only one who likes Pokemon.. and he's obsessed with the Generation 4 stuff.. always trying to show me his cards.. :P

Kaminari

Future Pokemon Master ✗✗
    Years
  • I remember I used to get up on Saturday mornings at 8:50, fix me a giant bowl of Frosted Flakes or Captain Crunch and watch the full hour of brand new pokemon episodes. (johto and hoenn saga)

xD Those were the days.
    Lol. I'd call my friend that I watched them with over the phone. We loved them but we'd always make fun of the stupidly funny things like when Ash could somehow jump like 50 ft into the air to Team Rocket's baloon.

I didn't act out pokemon with him though he was too cool for that I suppose...; acting it out was with another, cooler friend. (Lol)

piemeup

Pokemon FAQ Master
    Years
  • Yeah, things have changed now. They used to be kooler in the old days.

Haha, Yeah I agree. Makes me feel old reading this thread, the big 1-3 Haha. But for now to stay on topic...

Remember when we diden't have Wi-Fi connection?

Distortion World

Steel/Flying
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2010
    Do NOT remind me. I thank Wi-Fi for all my promotional Pokemon!

remember when Steel and Dark types werent types at all?

Lieutenant Unstable

Camelot Castaway
    Years
  • Man, I feel old reading this thread. And nostalgic, and sad. I remember everything.(I just read where Pokemon's gonna start airing on Boomerang, so that really made me feel old, LMAO)

Was I the only one that ever pretended to be TR's new sidekick? I always wanted to go up in that crazy balloon.

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
  • When we thought Charizard had an evolution.
    When Hyper Beam recharged after you killed the opposing pokemon.
    When there were no Steel and Dark-types.
    When Bug was Super Effective to Poison.
    When Ghost attacks couldn't hit Psychic.
    When Freeze couldn't be unfrozen without a Freeze heal.
    When Hitmonchan was bad. (Oh wait, thats still the case lol)
    When legendary pokemon were unique, and less common. :|

;____; Major nostalgia trip right there.

Izanagi

Jesus Saves.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 14, 2011
    Remember when you thought that if you surfed past the S.S. Anne you would land on an island where you'd be able to use strength to move a truck from in front of a truck, and inside the cave there'd be a Mew?

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Haha, I also remember when my twin baby cousins said that the characters on Pokemon Red and Blue (the protagonist) looked like burgers! XD it was quite hilarious when they said it.

Swolligator

Butcher of the Sands
    Years
  • Remember when Black and White were not considered racists and were speculated to be the next titles.(atleast black was)
    ^
    Remeber when there was no "3D".
    Pokemon were considered either boy or girl depending on what they looked like.
    the day care only took one pokemon and there were no such things as eggs.

Back