• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Remember when there were only 150 pokemon?

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2010
    This. Seriously.

I really do look back on the old days with fond memories of trading cards, catching all 150 Pokemon, Glitch City, etc.

I just don't seem to get all of the fuss over Nintendo ruining Pokemon with more supposedly, "unoriginal junk." And when you think about it, there's still actually a fair bit of originality left (despite a rather large number of evolutions and prevolutions in D/P). Personally, I can usually find a fairly large number of Pokemon I like out of every generation. =P

Seconded. Though I have to say Nintendo has went downhill in designs for the major part. The new Pokemon don't feel that original anymore. Maybe it's because they're basicly making a new set with the same template (starters, weak bug type, normal type HM slave, bird).

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Seconded. Though I have to say Nintendo has went downhill in designs for the major part. The new Pokemon don't feel that original anymore. Maybe it's because they're basicly making a new set with the same template (starters, weak bug type, normal type HM slave, bird).

I think that is their way of including the classic feel of the first gen into the upgraded gens for all of us old school fans. I for on appreciate it.

Haza

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    (1) Hey, watch it, a mayority of fans of a games franchise don't remember everything they do in the game. I study and learn hundreds of new things every day, so less important matters, such as pokémon, will have to take a step back to make room for a little something called "life" and "important knowledge". So a MRI scan isn't really nessessary, unless you're just jealous that people aren't as hopelessly hooked at pokémon as you are. Pokémon is something meant to be used as a means of leisure, not to compensate for your shortcomings in the other aspects of life. That leads to the conclusion that it's perfectly normal not to remember a team of 6 critters among 400+ that one has chosen to have in their team, which also are among a determined set of favourites.

(2) I, for one, don't like 400+ pokémon since the franchise will start to shatter eventually. A 1000+ pokémon isn't manageable at all, and in a ten years, they'll be there at this rate and then the franchise will have to radically remake it's foundation. It's not because one can't count to 400- you see, unlike you, some people actually think further into the future, and they also come to the conclusion that to play and fully enjoy a game, one doesn't need to know every little bit of detail therein. Why is that? As I said earlier, "Pokémon is something meant to be used as a means of leisure, not to compensate for your shortcomings in the other aspects of life."

You're one of those arrogant, conflict-seeking sad little people who have the picture of their values and thoughts to be above all others. I pity you. You'll wake up one day and realize what harm it does, even in real life, when someone acts as an arse on the web.

Ouch, but good point but I think you may want to take the insulting parts out. I used to get infracted for putting the ignorant in their place.

airconditioning

Take it slow, bro.
    Years
    I study and learn hundreds of new things every day, so less important matters, such as pokémon, will have to take a step back to make room for a little something called "life" and "important knowledge".

Dude, you're on a Pokemon forum. You're in no position to look down on other people.

That leads to the conclusion that it's perfectly normal not to remember a team of 6 critters among 400+ that one has chosen to have in their team, which also are among a determined set of favourites.

You didn't really prove anything. You're saying that you can't remember six important Pokemon, yet can remember 150 other ones. That's kinda... strange.

You're one of those arrogant, conflict-seeking sad little people who have the picture of their values and thoughts to be above all others. I pity you. You'll wake up one day and realize what harm it does, even in real life, when someone acts as an arse on the web.

Because you're a paragon of human behavior. Dude, you're twice the prick that Yoom-tah is (that's saying something). Don't talk down to him. :/

Years
    Hey, hey please I don't like repeating myself but...

It just saddens me when fans of a franchise throw whatever at each other. If people are more united we would have true universal health-care here in the US....
    - The comment I posted towards "Maxim" and "Serebii" during the time they had a "discussion" about the scans in PC.

I mean isn't this forum just for fun. Not somewhere to put people down? I expected better from people here at PC...:disappoin

Z o M B ii 3

Upgrade your Grey Matter.
    Years
    ^^You can't remember a set of 6 pokemon? Man, you should get an MRI on your brain, that's a possible problem.

I did as a child, I have a memory problem.
    I can remember inportant things, like stuff I'm taught in school.
    Forgot what its called, haha.
    Go figure right?

Those were the days when moltres was the betst looking and Mewtwo was scary.

You thought Mewtwo was scary?
    Remember the Mew Sprite.
    Now which one scared you again?

Johnnyboi

Street Pokéster
    Years
    You thought Mewtwo was scary?
    Remember the Mew Sprite.
    Now which one scared you again?
    Hahahaha, good one!
    One thing I hate about the games RSE and forward is that the sprites for the original 251 Pokémon are so ugly. The colours really don't fit, and some of the proportions are just horrible. Look at the RSE/DP Ampharos sprite for example, a really small head. Look at the old Raichus, fat and lovely, look at the new Crobat, horrible colours. Compare the newer Politoed sprite to the old one. And hey, the old Snorlax sprites looked way better than the new ones. And also, check out the first Mewtwo sprites and then check the new ones, I actually prefer the Pokémon Green Mewtwo sprite to the Diamond/Pearl Mewtwo sprite.

Last edited:

airconditioning

Take it slow, bro.
    Years
    Yup, RBY had way better sprites than DP.

Remember when there were only 150 pokemon?

YOOM-TAH

Piplup Fanatic
    Years
    (1) Hey, watch it, a mayority of fans of a games franchise don't remember everything they do in the game. I study and learn hundreds of new things every day, so less important matters, such as pokémon, will have to take a step back to make room for a little something called "life" and "important knowledge". So a MRI scan isn't really nessessary, unless you're just jealous that people aren't as hopelessly hooked at pokémon as you are. Pokémon is something meant to be used as a means of leisure, not to compensate for your shortcomings in the other aspects of life. That leads to the conclusion that it's perfectly normal not to remember a team of 6 critters among 400+ that one has chosen to have in their team, which also are among a determined set of favourites.

(2) I, for one, don't like 400+ pokémon since the franchise will start to shatter eventually. A 1000+ pokémon isn't manageable at all, and in a ten years, they'll be there at this rate and then the franchise will have to radically remake it's foundation. It's not because one can't count to 400- you see, unlike you, some people actually think further into the future, and they also come to the conclusion that to play and fully enjoy a game, one doesn't need to know every little bit of detail therein. Why is that? As I said earlier, "Pokémon is something meant to be used as a means of leisure, not to compensate for your shortcomings in the other aspects of life."

Wow buddy. I didn't think there was that much malice in my words. I was mostly kidding. I usually don't give people benefit of the doubt on these forums when it comes to other things going on in their lives, mainly because most people on a pokemon forum don't have so many other things to deal with. I apologize for that. However, if you care so much more about other things enough to demean Pokemon itself, as well as others here, I question why you're even a part of a pokemon fan forum in the first place.

I think to the future plenty. I even made a thread about ideas for pokemon to change once they get to the point of 1000+ pokemon. Obviously at that point, while I myself wouldn't have too much of a problem, I'm sure plenty people would, and it may actually hurt their sales drastically.

I play Pokemon ONLY for leisure. I do it as something I enjoy. I just happen to ENJOY it even MORE when there's more pokemon and more content. It doesn't mean I live and breathe pokemon and "compensate for my shortcomings."

I personally think that before you make such rude and demeaning comments as calling me arrogant and questioning my character as well as my personal life, you should look at yourself in the mirror, since you did way more of what you were accusing me of than I actually did.

PS - Lol at the Sprites thing, can't believe they were that terrible back then.

moments.

quixotic
    Years
    I actually like some of the RBY sprites better than the new ones.
    Sure they lack the graphic appeal of the newer ones, but they just bring back so many memories and the designs are great for some of them!

Haza

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    I actually like some of the RBY sprites better than the new ones.
    Sure they lack the graphic appeal of the newer ones, but they just bring back so many memories and the designs are great for some of them!

I cant point out any one that actually looks better than a DP sprite.

moments.

quixotic
    Years
    Well they may not look better but if you applied that pose/design with modern day graphics, I think they would look way better. And I think they should have used that for LeafGreen and FireRed.

Johnnyboi

Street Pokéster
    Years
    I actually prefer most of the RBY sprites to the DP ones. Call me crazy, but really don't like the D/P sprites for the old Pokémon. They use the wrong colours and it just looks wrong. The G/S/C sprites were AMAZING IMO! The perfect style/colours used for pretty much all of those Pokémon, exept maybe Vileplume. The Pokémon Crystal animations also rocked the shitazzle [yea, I made that word up] out of the Emerald/D/P animations. Overall, I don't think they have improved one little bit with the sprites since Pokémon Crystal, sure, the "graphics" are better, but the proportions are horrible, the colours don't fit, the animations are quite lacking and they don't have the same polished feel that the G/S/C ones had. Quite frankly, I dunno if Platinum will improve on this, and I wouldn't mind switching to Pokémon Crystal sprites for my Pokémon Pearl game.

moments.

quixotic
    Years
    I actually prefer most of the RBY sprites to the DP ones. Call me crazy, but really don't like the D/P sprites for the old Pokémon. They use the wrong colours and it just looks wrong. The G/S/C sprites were AMAZING IMO! The perfect style/colours used for pretty much all of those Pokémon, exept maybe Vileplume. The Pokémon Crystal animations also rocked the shitazzle [yea, I made that word up] out of the Emerald/D/P animations. Overall, I don't think they have improved one little bit with the sprites since Pokémon Crystal, sure, the "graphics" are better, but the proportions are horrible, the colours don't fit, the animations are quite lacking and they don't have the same polished feel that the G/S/C ones had. Quite frankly, I dunno if Platinum will improve on this, and I wouldn't mind switching to Pokémon Crystal sprites for my Pokémon Pearl game.

This guy has the right idea! *gives a cookie*
    I mean they are the originals! I still reckon that the way the Pokemon were drawn and their poses are just superior to the newer ones.

Back