• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that this section is for questions regarding the forum itself - it is not for fan game-related questions. If you have a question about a fan game, ask in the appropriate thread.

• Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Reputation announcement feedback.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    This killed all my fun when it comes to negative repping people with grammatically incoherent posts, but I can see the logic in doing away with it. Too many people are too immature to handle criticism. >_>

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    I would have preferred a system where people can only give positive reputation over simply getting rid of it. I think it would have solved a great many problems and still kept a relatively good system in place.

.Seth

.explorer.
    Years
    I would have preferred a system where people can only give positive reputation over simply getting rid of it. I think it would have solved a great many problems and still kept a relatively good system in place.
    Just think of how egotistical everyone would be.
    If anyone has a greater number of something you want (positive rep) than you do, you'll want it more. The more you want it, the more you'll dip down into cheating to get it (abuse).

That's why the points system failed.

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
    Another way it could have been done, is instead of being able to take away reputation, you just EARN reputation. For example, if someone likes my post, they just give + rep. If they don't like the post, they just don't do anything and it stays at a moot point
    I liked the rep system... And the idea of simply just adding rep rather than subtract it, seems like a good plan. Of course, it won't happen now...
    Here's the thing about having a system where you only get good rep.... they're too stuck up to get bad rep, or too immature to get criticized on posts. What's the point in having a system where you can only get good rep? Sure, the Staff wouldn't get any PMs from people saying "I got bad rep. ;.;". But then we'd have a broke system where rep parties would be the big thing on PC (happened with the system we just killed off, and happened the first rep system we had on PC). People would group together to run up their rep count. They want another rep bar, they want a higher rep power and so on. But at the same time they're not mature enough to take someone saying "Hey, I don't like your post.". What is the point in having a system where if your post is bad, or if someone doesn't agree with it then why shouldn't they be able to remove points from your rep? What's the point in having such a lop sided system? If we had something like that might as well call it "Add to my pip bar collection".

But seriously, I don't.. see why people miss it so much. Since post comments are basic and without positive and negative reputation... we should totally be able to see who gave us post comments, as they're generally positive... and since staff aren't going to do anything about bad post comments, the users should know so they could sort out their own problems? o3o;
    The whole reason why members can't see who gave them rep is to prevent them from going back to that person. Maybe bad rep them back, maybe flame them on PC, maybe send a PM to that person.
    So it might be pointless for them to rep the person back... but that doesn't mean they can't send hurtful VMs/PMs/posts.

If someone leaves a comment where it's flaming then it should be taken to an Admin. Because flaming is in the rules of PC, and it can't be done in posts, PMs, or post comments.
    But if I get a PM about a comment like "I don't like your post. HAHAHAHAHA" then they'll wish they had never taken the time to copy/paste that comment. <_<

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I never saw the point in the reputation system myself (apart from when I first joined and was excited to see what people thought of my post, despite knowing that I wasn't a bad member). It being changed to a post comment feature seems a lot more reasonable than completely deleting the feedback of other members, in my opinion... even though I can see the system become ignored completely by most of the members due to the fact that there aren't numbers anymore... but whatever.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    DARN! Now I'll never finish my journey on the "obvious road that is not too far from victory!" NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! :cer_cry:

Anyway, I think it was a good decision to remove the bulk of the so-called "rep" system (now renamed to 'Post Comments'). While I've been wanting my "rep message" and points, bars, etc. to go up, I'm not obsessed over it. At its core, it's just a value. Yes, it's essentially human nature to want large quanitities of "good" things and absolutely no "negative" things, but that doesn't mean you have to get greedy (i.e., circle-jerks for reputation, etc.) You don't have to abuse such a trivial (though nice-in-theory) feature.
    I could easily copy-and-paste a bunch of the green bars and put as much as them as I can in my sig, and say "Oh, I have more bars, so I'm better than everyone else! Haha."
    Obviously, I'd have "the most green bars", but it would be pointless and rude. The green bars aren't that important anyway. If the PC server is down, your rep won't matter anyway since no one can see it. Posts are entirely different matters; even if PC is down, the messages conveyed can still linger in the mind. All rep does is make you think of a number.

And it's annoying that some people can't handle criticism maturely. It's also annoying how people can't dish out certain criticisms properly. Yes, criticizing can still lead to upsetting people, but there's a way to hand out constructive criticism politely.

I'm glad that the new "feedback" system is also more opinion-oriented, which caters to the large number of users that were more opinion-inclined than quality-inclined when repping other members. I'll admit, I used rep more for 'opinions' than actual post 'quality.' When one disagrees, one thinks that his/her own opinion is better/correct over another person's. People probably want to be 'correct' themselves in terms of opinion instead of others being correct in terms of better quality (which makes other people seem smarter than you in terms of quality). Personally, I wouldn't want to praise someone who writes with excellent quality but agrees with everything I utterly despise. I'd just disagree and say what I feel is better.
    (Sorry if this seems confusing!)

IMO, the bars decorated the top-right corners of your post very nicely. Now that it's just bare text there, it's kinda bland...

One question though, is the system still anonymous? I hope not, since it'd be easier to see who's giving us the comment in case they flame.

But if it's still anonymous that's fine too. Hopefully this system will fix what ails this place.

That's what I thought, too. But if you see who neg-commented you, I think it'll just incite flame wars... Then again, you'd think users would refrain from flaming if their identities would be revealed upon flaming...but NOOO...

Anyway, can we at least see who gave us positive comments? Or have an option or something that lets you mark "This is a positive comment", which indicates that your name will be shown in the User CP. It'd be kind of disheartening if you find out all your positive "comments" were really just spambots saying "LOL", "Nice post", or other variants... (don't know if that's possible, but still...)

THANK GOODNESS!
    I think PokeCommunity will better themselves without the reputation clouding our eyes with it's evil ways, muahaha.
    But seriously, I think it is a good thing reputation was disabled, it makes the whole rumor going about "Having 2 or more Rep bars means higher chance at moderatorship" pretty much a load of bull eh?
    I'm glad, that was an annoying little rumor that was just plain untrue, and I like leaving little comments for people, so now I don't have to choose to give -rep or +rep!

That was seriously a rumor? Lol, those circle-jerks must've been so deluded... :P

I actually have to agree with Amachi here, I as well am disappointed with the change.
    The whiny members won't grow any intelligence from some feedback with no catch to it. They'll just complain to someone at how wrong the person is/was with their comment about the post that was given feedback, so the only change here is that members can still cry over negative reputation with hidden pips. Bravo Sir, Bravo

inb4pipsreturn!

Yeah...instead of whining about point reduction, they'll just whine about how someone said their post was "stupid", "immature", or "needs improvement", regardless of whether the claim is true or not. But people will whine about anything. Next thing, I bet people will whine about how someone disagreed with them in a "Visitor Message" or something...

I had a little over a thousand rep points and I'm the *furthest* thing from staff material there is. Rep was *intended* to be a system whereby people could tell at a glance by looking at somebody's postbit that they'd contributed to the community with posts that were intelligent, well written and above all; well received by the community at large. It was never supposed to be a popularity contest or a whizzing contest or a method of attack of "user moderation"; it was meant purely so you could tell in a very general sense the quality of a users contributions to the forum.
    [S-HIGHLIGHT]But it didn't work this way; and it never will in the form it existed. People are greedy, selfish and need that status symbol ~ I'll admit; I got a giddy little thrill when I'd get another pip; it's true. [/S-HIGHLIGHT] And it's perfectly fine to be proud of the rep you've earned; but setting up a circle-jerk with your friends so you can all have high rep is..well...cheating. And so is not accepting valid criticism or critique of something you've written that isn't well received. Yes, there will always be controversial posts and yes you probably will get negative reputation for it; but imo the reputation received should have no bearing on you as a member whatsoever and merely should act as a barometer for the climate of any individual post.

I'm not fully in favour of the point system being removed entirely; I'll admit this. [S-HIGHLIGHT]I think there should be a way for a user to be "rewarded" in some small part for making good and healthy contributions to the forum proper. [/S-HIGHLIGHT]But a single overarching number is no way to address it. I've been around a long time; forum-wise and I've seen implementations that vary from individual and visible post reputation [S-HIGHLIGHT](where each POST you make can have it's own reputation score but YOU have no score per se; just a chart in your profile that shows a % gradient of your quality posts)[/S-HIGHLIGHT]thru to the reputation system being used to generate in forum currency to purchase forum customizations. These are all valid systems and in the right hands so can be the numbered point score; but we don't have the right hands. We're not, as many will assure you; those other forums. We're The PokeCommunity; and we need a solution that works for our user-base. While I don't think we're there yet; I think this is definitely a step in the right direction.

Pretty much everyone got thrilled when they received a positive rep (including myself), though I'm not saying everyone was responsible for the problems that arose. You like it when people like you (or your posts), since it means you're right about something (in a sense). I also agree about the 'rewards for quality posts' idea... Maybe have people vote on quality posts (and only the staff can see the votes) and have a series of "Quality Posts" Emblems or something (if it doesn't exist already). Like 0-50 quality posts for one emblem version, 51-100 quality posts for another, and so on. The only problem is that mods would be required to "browse" through votes so often so giving out Quality Post Emblems to certain people would be justified.

The other idea I have that apple.SHAMPOO referenced is each post has individual rep, using the 'rep system' we had before. This could be used alongside the current "Post Comment" system. This could be set so only the person who wrote the post gets to see how much rep was given... I'm just wondering if this feature could be 'abused' as well...

I love the new rep system. I never liked having those points, really. Especially when the negative ones tare right down into your soul, and then make you snap!

Lol, I know. Especially when you were close to racking up 50 points (which took you a long time to get, say a few months), and someone with high rep-altering power docked you down to 23 with a simple mouse click. I remember when I got lost a lot of points because I used excessive smilies in one TCTI post...

I miss my green bars. They made me feel important...and I was getting closer to four. -goes to cry somewhere-

All I know is that I didn't get to the end of the path toward victory! *cries as well* It gets really annoying when you put a lot of effort in making quality posts, when there are stupid circle-jerks who rack up rep points in mere days, with the only effort being organizing the group and the time of day that they rep. Grrr... :cer_pissed:

Well, I don't care if it's gone. Since a lot of members have abnormally huge rep points(I can list some of them), which mainly comes from abusing it, asking of forcing someone to give 'em, or making "side accounts" for reps. Well, those are my hunches though.

It still startles me that people would take the time and intimidate others to get rep or make 'side accounts'. We're supposed to be talking about Pokemon! If you want to rack up green bars, go to Microsoft Paint and get to work with the green pixels. If you want to rack up points, go get a calculator and start adding and multiplying positive numbers. Then post the results in your sig. IT'S THAT FREAKING SIMPLE!! *calms down*

Ah, so the bad apples had to spoil the whole barrel and ruin it for everyone. x3

If someone wants to comment on a post, he/she could easily quote and reply with his/her response instead of leaving a (usually) anonymous rep comment. So, what's the point of this "rep" now? |D

I guess I'll get posting.

Probably to save excess posts where you just comment on how well someone's post was written. The thing is, everyone knows your opinion about other posts when you put it in your post. So I guess that's a bypass to the anonymity with the "Post Comments" system.

A better system would have been to keep the reputation system in place, not worry about it, and if someone complains, they get banned or temp banned. Honestly, people shouldn't complain about such a thing in the first place.

Another way it could have been done, is instead of being able to take away reputation, you just EARN reputation. For example, if someone likes my post, they just give + rep. If they don't like the post, they just don't do anything and it stays at a moot point. That way, active members and members the community are fond of, can actually get what the system literally entails, "Reputation." Everyone else would have to earn reputation simply just by doing what they normally do in the community. If they keep doing something right constantly, or their posts are well thought out, then they would receive more rep, as they should. These people aren't going to complain about GETTING rep. In addition, someone who can't have reputation TAKEN AWAY can't get mad and moan and complain at their current reputation level. If their reputation level isn't going up, it would be because they aren't making interesting posts, or nobody actually cares about giving rep in that particular instance.

It seems like the fact that other users could "tarnish" another's rep was the root cause of your reputation system failure. If you had a system in place in which you just simply keep stacking up rep as you contribute something good, then there wouldn't be any problems. People would only have one thing to complain about, that they aren't GAINING rep... And that in itself is a silly thing to complain about, but the answer is obvious and self-serving, as if you're not gaining any reputation, then you're not making good posts, and you should try harder in the future. There shouldn't be a reason someone should PM Admins, Mods, etc for them not gaining any rep. In essence, it would be one's own fault.

I would think that, combined with a strict "don't pm us about rep" rule, would be able to keep the reputation system in place, and evolve it into something better.

But hey, that's just my two cents.

Except the darn circle-jerks completely nullify this option. Do they NOT have anything better to do online?

[jq]
    But seriously, I don't.. see why people miss it so much. Since post comments are basic and without positive and negative reputation... we should totally be able to see who gave us post comments, as they're generally positive... and since staff aren't going to do anything about bad post comments, the users should know so they could sort out their own problems? o3o;

I agree. I figured if your username is shown when you give feedback via a Post Comment, you wouldn't dare flame unless you want to be specifically targeted with malicious messages. Plus, it would make you come out of your "anonymity cloak", and it would be obvious that you're the one who's flaming.

I know I already posted in this thread, but I have a point to get across that I feel I should say.
    (I know people probably already know this, but I wanna say it still, lol)

As I said before, I am glad reputation is gone, but I have more of a reason now...
    Now people won't think a certain person isn't so great because of the number of green squares near there names, and can now focus on the quality of said person's posts.
    I still think it would be nice to have the option to hide your number of posts as well (As to stop people from thinking that post numbers count as well. I can't hide it, [S-HIGHLIGHT]I too used to think that post numbers played an important role in a person's status on the forums[/S-HIGHLIGHT], until I had THIS little epiphany.)
    I personally think that would be a nice feature, along with the removal of reputation, what y'all think?

I used to have that opinion as well, though I'm gradually growing out of it. :( Members with really higher posts do tend to be more recognizable and have more quality posts, IMO... However, it should not be used to explicitly judge others. For example, I recently read that there was someone on the Smashboards forums with <7 posts (being a 'Smash n00b') but actually placed very high in a tournament or something... So post count is just a count of your posts, whether quality-filled, decent, or spam-filled. Simple as that.

Speaking of Smashboards, they could use this new 'Post Comment' system, too, rather than just banning reputation entirely.

This killed all my fun when it comes to negative repping people with grammatically incoherent posts, but I can see the logic in doing away with it. Too many people are too immature to handle criticism. >_>

Lol @ the first sentence. But people do need to learn that not everything they do is perfect (hence the need for criticism), and not everyone is going to agree with them (which is why we have opinions).

*My only minor suggestion of the new system is: can't we have notifications? I see nothing wrong with them. I'm not the type who is obsessed over rep points or feedback, but if we aren't notified that we need to improve, how will we improve our posts? I might miss a few comments every so often since I don't make it a daily obligation to check that area of my User CP...

Another feature that could be useful (but not necessary) is if we could save all of our received (and given-out) feedback, so we could delete them as we wish. I don't know if server space would be compromised, though...

Anyway, good alternative to completely wiping out the rep system, and I hope we can all improve in our posting habits (this means you, circle-jerks and people making incorrect/uncalled-for/made-for-no-reason complaints! :pirate:)

Sorry about the lengthy post!
    ------

Oh yeah, and as of now, I'm still laughing at all the circle-jerks who wasted their time organizing "rep groups" and "side accounts". While I'm annoyed that they're partially responsible for the downfall of PC Reputation and helped ruined the system for the rest of us, it's still funny that all of their work is gone with a mere reformatting of the rep system. :laugh:

Last edited:

.Seth

.explorer.
    Years
    I had a thought. What about an option within the Comment box area, you could have an option to show your name?
    It could be a checkmark box titled "Show my username.", but by default it would be off, keeping those who don't want to show their name anonymous, and it could be easier than typing or Ctrl+V-ing your username into the comment box. Also it could show the comment poster's name in the specified box in the UCP's "Latest Post Comments Recieved" area instead of where it would show the comment if they chose to put their name in the comment

Just and idea, though.

Years
    • Age 29
    • he/him/his
    • Seen today
    I had a thought. What about an option within the Comment box area, you could have an option to show your name?
    It could be a checkmark box titled "Show my username.", but by default it would be off, keeping those who don't want to show their name anonymous, and it could be easier than typing or Ctrl+V-ing your username into the comment box. Also it could show the comment poster's name in the specified box in the UCP's "Latest Post Comments Recieved" area instead of where it would show the comment if they chose to put their name in the comment

Just and idea, though.
    If you really want the person to know who sent it, just sign it at the end. eg

Good post imo -非常に高いレベル

twocows

Years
    Here's the thing about having a system where you only get good rep.... they're too stuck up to get bad rep, or too immature to get criticized on posts. What's the point in having a system where you can only get good rep? Sure, the Staff wouldn't get any PMs from people saying "I got bad rep. ;.;". But then we'd have a broke system where rep parties would be the big thing on PC (happened with the system we just killed off, and happened the first rep system we had on PC). People would group together to run up their rep count. They want another rep bar, they want a higher rep power and so on. But at the same time they're not mature enough to take someone saying "Hey, I don't like your post.". What is the point in having a system where if your post is bad, or if someone doesn't agree with it then why shouldn't they be able to remove points from your rep? What's the point in having such a lop sided system? If we had something like that might as well call it "Add to my pip bar collection".
    Then how about a system where only moderators can give reputation? Or alternatively, perhaps users can have an option to recommend a post for reputation, but there has to be some confirmation, either by other users or a moderator before they'd receive it. And reputation would be weighted by some other metric than reputation received, perhaps total posts and seniority could be taken into consideration. Or the amount of reputation that could be given would be limited; you could only rep once or twice a week, then you'd have to wait until next week.

.Seth

.explorer.
    Years
    Then how about a system where only moderators can give reputation? Or alternatively, perhaps users can have an option to recommend a post for reputation, but there has to be some confirmation, either by other users or a moderator before they'd receive it. And reputation would be weighted by some other metric than reputation received, perhaps total posts and seniority could be taken into consideration.
    1. Seniority, no. Egotisticalness is bad.
    2. If mods had to approve rep, when it doesn't even count (numbers/pips wise), do you realize how much work that would be? No one would want to do it. And don't be like Spey and suggest "Rep Mods". No one, unless yourself, would be willing to do it. And you yourself would get sick of it after about twenty reps.
    3. Why would they "recommend" a post for rep? It just seems like an unnecessary step to give a comment, which would deter users from using it.
    4. "What's the point of having a system if only a handful of people could use it?" Notice the quotes.

jasonresno

[fight through it]
    Years
    Haha, I think this is ironic. Finally without the threat of a bombardment of bad reputation I can speak completely free:

No system can truthfully work here. 95% of this site can't handle any sort of logical system.

And finally I think the whole point of reputation, at it's core, is to judge the quality of the poster. And now we can do that without any need for unnecessary ego/pip issues.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Then how about a system where only moderators can give reputation? Or alternatively, perhaps users can have an option to recommend a post for reputation, but there has to be some confirmation, either by other users or a moderator before they'd receive it. And reputation would be weighted by some other metric than reputation received, perhaps total posts and seniority could be taken into consideration. Or the amount of reputation that could be given would be limited; you could only rep once or twice a week, then you'd have to wait until next week.
    lmao. That would go on for about a week, not even, and then most of us won't be bothered with it anymore. Besides, what's the point of a system if only 30 or so people have the power to comment on posts. :|

I don't see why so many people are suggesting alternative solutions when they know already that most of these solutions have been discussed and the outcome is... well, this. And look how long it took for this decision to arise from it. Having another discussion on it seems like... something that isn't going to happen.

If you're concerned how a moderator feels about your post, just ask them or something...? I know I'll be perfectly happy to tell someone how I feel about their post and I'm sure others would be as well.

Years
    My guess is that the majority of people suggesting new systems (+rep only etc.) are the ones who want to be able to stroke their e-peens based on the number of small green images appearing in their postbit. Rep's gone, and it won't be coming back at any time in the foreseeable future, if at all.

twocows

Years
    My guess is that the majority of people suggesting new systems (+rep only etc.) are the ones who want to be able to stroke their e-peens based on the number of small green images appearing in their postbit. Rep's gone, and it won't be coming back at any time in the foreseeable future, if at all.
    Maybe you shouldn't presume when you have absolutely no idea what reasons others have for doing something. I heard it makes a pres out of "u" and "me"... or something to that effect. And since when was it a crime to make suggestions, anyway?

I really don't see what the problem with having an all-positive rep system would be. So what if people abuse it? How many people have complained to you about positive rep abuse so far? I mean, sure, you know it happens, but how many users have actively complained about it?

Perhaps it should be more obvious that it is a for-fun system. Replace the word "reputation" with something less reliant on one's character; perhaps Kudos or Cookies or Thanks or something like that. I don't think anyone would have a problem with getting cookies. Of course, it would have to be positive-only; anything less discourages people from stating their opinions.

Update:
    it's ASSume, way to NOT make an ass out of anyone else
    WOOSH!

Last edited:

.Seth

.explorer.
    Years
    Maybe you shouldn't presume when you have absolutely no idea what reasons others have for doing something. I heard it makes a pres out of "u" and "me"... or something to that effect. And since when was it a crime to make suggestions, anyway?

I really don't see what the problem with having an all-positive rep system would be. So what if people abuse it? How many people have complained to you about positive rep abuse so far? I mean, sure, you know it happens, but how many users have actively complained about it?

Perhaps it should be more obvious that it is a for-fun system. Replace the word "reputation" with something less reliant on one's character; perhaps Kudos or Cookies or Thanks or something like that. I don't think anyone would have a problem with getting cookies. Of course, it would have to be positive-only; anything less discourages people from stating their opinions.
    I think Cookies would be a funny system to have. Funny as in hilarious.
    But the only problem with an all-positive reputation (not Cookies XD) system would be the egotists, and braggarts, and the basic full-of-themselves people.
    It would turn a lot of people into that. Which is bad for the forums.
    That's what Get Innocuous! means by e-peens.

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010
    Well I think that's a little all-encompassing to suggest; Mikey ~ I know where you're coming from and understand your intention with regards to the implication; but it's also worth understanding that not *all* suggestions for a new system to move to are ego-driven.

monkeyman2092

Aipom Awesome!!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2009
    I have a question. Is there a way for a user to turn off rep for themselves only?

Back