• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that this section is for questions regarding the forum itself - it is not for fan game-related questions. If you have a question about a fan game, ask in the appropriate thread.

• Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKS

Retired Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2013
    Here is my feedback on the reputation system. First of all, I would like to say, this is not a complaint or anything, just some observations and comments.

I really like the whole idea of a reputation system for this forum. Especially since this is a social forum (post hacks or games we created, post art that the members make, or talk in general) and not a support forum. I think it is especially useful for pointing out all the clever and useful posts being made around the community and the people making those posts.

I too have pestered staff about rep problems and I'm not trying to be a hypocrite here. The main reason for posting this thread is to show the appreciation for the reputation system. I heard the reputation was disabled in the past and I did not want that to happen again.

Years
    • Age 29
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Jun 1, 2024
    I agree. The rep system is great. I appreciate that there are still plenty of people who don't intentionally mess it up.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I really like the whole idea of a reputation system for this forum. Especially since this is a social forum (post hacks or games we created, post art that the members make, or talk in general) and not a support forum. I think it is especially useful for pointing out all the clever and useful posts being made around the community and the people making those posts.

Yeah, I'm the same. I think the reputation system is awesome when used properly, and that there are some posts that shouldn't be left unappreciated. And it would be even better if certain people (a very select few) stopped taking it so seriously and just moved on with their lives, but I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon.

A man can dream though, a man can dream.

GKS

Retired Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2013
    Lol at this negative rep I got for this topic:
    Reputation June 29th, 2009 03:10 PM You're pretty much beating a dead horse. So enough already

This wasn't necessary, but if you say so, I accept your opinion.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    I agree with you, the reputation system is a really great feature to have on a forum. It is great that some can appreciate it and not take it too seriously like it is a matter of "life and death." However, it is sad to see those take pride in it too much as well as it is sad for those to whine about it most of the time.

I wouldn't mind seeing it go as understanding of how many complaints about it may happen each day, but it'll be great if it can stay. I mean if the members on PC can understand how to use it correctly then great. I don't care if I get bad rep, as long as it is for something reasonable. Nevertheless, it's nice to have and I appreciate it too.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Just a thought:

At the rate that the majority of the members on PC are going, it's only a matter of time that the reputation system becomes so important, abuse is constantly being reported, and administration have no choice but to shut it down. :(

GKS

Retired Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2013
    Just a thought:

At the rate that the majority of the members on PC are going, it's only a matter of time that the reputation system becomes so important, abuse is constantly being reported, and administration have no choice but to shut it down. :(

I know what you mean by that.

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Guys/girls this wasn't a complain, it was just feedback. Why two negative reps for this thread?

It's just reputation, right? <A<; People just might not like the fact that you're continuing to mention rep- it's just the way things roll.

And what Abercrombie said. But it's nice to know that people think it's a nice system though, thanks for your sentiment.

GKS

Retired Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2013
    It's just reputation, right? <A<; People just might not like the fact that you're continuing to mention rep- it's just the way things roll.

And what Abercrombie said. It's nice to know that people think it's a nice system though, thanks for your sentiment.

I accept the neg reps as well, that's how it works. You have to take the bad with the good.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I've seen this happen in the past, but since then, I haven't really come across that many people who have had this happen to them, but I think a good thing to think about doing, that is, Higher Staff, is to start disabling rep like you guys used to do for certain members. That way, those who abuse rep and are known to do so, don't really ruin it for the others who actually either a) don't really care about their reputation points, or b) care, but don't go around saying how important it is to them and crying about it.

Years
    • Age 29
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Jun 1, 2024
    I think the only problem is that every time a thread about rep transpires, it ends up with 12+ members viewing at a time... a hint that people are taking this too seriously.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    I agree that the rep system could be a great system; however, there are people out there who are still unsure of what to give good and bad reputation for. If I may, I think I'd like to clear it up just a bit:

Good rep given for: Helpful posts & clever posts.
    Bad rep given for: Grammatically incorrect posts, mini-modding posts, & overall bad posts.

Of course, the 'overall bad posts' and 'clever posts' differ from person to person, which is why, when one receives rep they don't agree with (be it good or bad), it is classified as 'abuse' and reported. Than when the rep isn't taken away, said person is enraged and then proceeds to bash the staff/post about it in the Community Questions & Feedback forum. I've given out bad and good rep before with my screen name signed. When this happens, those who received the bad rep confront me about it and then proceed to hold it over my head. Why? Because they're not mature enough to handle the bad rep. This is why reputation gets bashed immensely.

Adding to that, there are people that abuse it immensely. I do admit, in my newbie days, I was absolutely terrible with rep. I had no idea who to give it out to and why I should be giving it out. I just up-repped posts I liked and down-repped posts I didn't like, and for the all wrong reasons as well. And I do so hope no one says they never had the same troubles because I know that everyone has had this problem.

I'd normally agree to removing it, and I still stand by that, but I think if people learned how to use it properly, it can be salvaged. Instead, I have to wonder: What if all reps were taken away so we can start anew with the system? (i.e., just have Rukario disable and then re-enabled rep so everyone can have a fresh start with it). That way, we may actually get somewhere.

Before this becomes even more tl;dl, I just have to say this: I hope that someday PokéCommunity will become mature enough to handle rep.​

Reactions: GKS

GKS

Retired Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2013
    I've seen this happen in the past, but since then, I haven't really come across that many people who have had this happen to them, but I think a good thing to think about doing, that is, Higher Staff, is to start disabling rep like you guys used to do for certain members. That way, those who abuse rep and are known to do so, don't really ruin it for the others who actually either a) don't really care about their reputation points, or b) care, but don't go around saying how important it is to them and crying about it.

Again I agree with what you said. But wouldn't it be too difficult for staff to find all the rep abusers.

I think the only problem is that every time a thread about rep transpires, it ends up with 12+ members viewing at a time... a hint that people are taking this too seriously.

Lol, I haven't noticed that till now. This wasn't meant to be serious, it was only mere feedback by a fellow user.

Years
    • Age 29
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Jun 1, 2024
    I agree that the rep system could be a great system; however, there are people out there who are still unsure of what to give good and bad reputation for. If I may, I think I'd like to clear it up just a bit:​

Good rep given for: Helpful posts & clever posts.

Bad rep given for: Grammatically incorrect posts, mini-modding posts, & overall bad posts.
    Mini-modding? No, that's (part of) what the report button is for...

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    (i.e., just have Rukario disable and then re-enabled rep so everyone can have a fresh start with it).​

Well the thing about that is the fact that Reputation has been re-enabled in the past and look where that got us... nowhere, to be honest. The same thing's happening again that what happened in the past.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    Mini-modding? No, that's (part of) what the report button is for...
    Lemme make this a bit clearer:
    You use rep to tell people what you like and you didn't like about their posts, basically. You help them make better posts with the rep. Just reporting mini-modding obviously doesn't help them understand what they did wrong.

Well the thing about that is the fact that Reputation has been re-enabled in the past and look where that got us... nowhere, to be honest. The same thing's happening again that what happened in the past.
    Third time's the charm.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Again I agree with what you said. But wouldn't it be too difficult for staff to find all the rep abusers.
    Higher staff already have a clear idea of who abuses the reputation as it is, so it wouldn't really be too difficult. The only real problem would be moderating it, because a member of staff wouldn't want to just sit there in the reputation page of the control panel and just stare and study the reputation sent and received from person to person, and with all these reports of abuse,... yeah.

Giraffes? Giraffes!

ラヴィ・ヘッド
    Years
    Why don't you guys turn off negative reputation and turn on only positive reputation? That would mean less complaints and negative reputation has done nothing but cause trouble apparently. I've seen a few forums where there is only a positive reputation system and everyone seems fine with it. If you want to tell the person they're wrong why not do it in the topic you disagree with instead of negative reputation..

This is just a suggestion, theres really no point for negative reputation anyway, imo.

Reactions: GKS

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I like the rep system, but I'm tired of all the problems it's causing, and the fact that people seem to care too much about rep points in general. x_x How many little green pixel boxes you have under your avatar, on a Pokemon forum, shouldn't be that big of a deal. D: Sometimes it's fun to leave positive rep, or see the comments.. but people are focusing too much on it.

>_> There's my two cents. Infact, I think I'm gonna go disable mine.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back