• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Request a Moveset / Simple Q&A / Breeding Questions

S+M staff are great

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Maybe

• Total voters

SUTANRII

The New Guy
Years
    • Seen Jul 30, 2010
    So i was previously told that North/West Waters of Cerulean City were good for EV's for Attack (Goldeen/Seaking) and that has worked.

I was wondering, in Soul Silver, does anyone have places for

Defense (I assume caves with Geodude?)
    Special Attack ??
    Special Defense ??
    Speed (Magikarp?)

----

Also, I have a question. Does it have to be a chain? Like, I can ONLY level up on those type of monsters for the EV's. Like, I can't level on any other pokemon until it levels up? I saw a video where this guy leveled up on Magikarps for speed and then after around 20 or so Magikarps used a Rare Candy and still gained EV's. That works in Soul Silver, correct?

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
    Years
  • 4 EVs = 1 stat point at a random (not really, but it eases the explanation) point during the pokemon's leveling process.

20 magikarp will give 5 Speed Stat points, thus increasing the speed stat by 5 extra points at some point in the leveling process. Rare candies just level up. You won't gain EVs, but some of the points you've earned may be used.

Spike Kintarin

Don't run! It's just ham!
    Years
  • Okay, so, in EV training Bulbasaur from level 1...

I'm using a Macho Brace, and I'm fighting goldeen/seaking in Cerulean city.

Now, for example, every time I kill 4 Goldeen, that equals +1 Attack EV, correct?

With Macho Brace, when I kill 4 Goldeen, that equals +2 Attack, right? Trying to figure this stuff out. >_<

^.hydro

Missingno's Homie
    Years
    • Seen Apr 18, 2010
    So i was previously told that North/West Waters of Cerulean City were good for EV's for Attack (Goldeen/Seaking) and that has worked.

Special Attack ??
    Special Defense ??
    Speed (Magikarp?)

For Special Attack...The ruins of alph are pretty good for low lv pokemon

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
  • So i was previously told that North/West Waters of Cerulean City were good for EV's for Attack (Goldeen/Seaking) and that has worked.

Special Attack ??
    Special Defense ??
    Speed (Magikarp?)

For Special Attack...The ruins of alph are pretty good for low lv pokemon

I assume you are talking about Unowns, but they actually give off 1 SpAtk, and 1 Atk EV per kill, iirc.

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2010
    quick q.
    im new to ev training. im trainging my magbu for sp atk. ive been fighting gastlys and using sp atk vitamins on it. it got to the point that it says that the vitamins wont have any effect but the effort ribbon lady says that it still needs to work harder. is this because its used up all of its ev points for one stat and i must use the leftover evs on another stat? or what? whats the deal with that?

also why, when your ev training, do you still gain +2 or whatever in other stats? not that im complaining cus id have a magby with 20 hp otherwise but im wondering how this all works. i thought you only gained points in a stat if youve battled the right pokemon for that stat. im a bit confuzzled

subby

Subby
    Years
  • Hey whats a good moveset for Dragonite and Tyranitar? I've looked up a lot but a lot of people say a lot of different things for both of them. So far I have..

Dragonite Lvl 100
    Outrage
    DD
    Draco Meteor
    Hyper Beam

I'm unsure about the last two moves?

Tyranitar Lvl 100
    Dark Pulse
    Hyper Beam
    Stone Edge
    Earthquake

Any advice?

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
  • quick q.
    im new to ev training. im trainging my magbu for sp atk. ive been fighting gastlys and using sp atk vitamins on it. it got to the point that it says that the vitamins wont have any effect but the effort ribbon lady says that it still needs to work harder. is this because its used up all of its ev points for one stat and i must use the leftover evs on another stat? or what? whats the deal with that?

also why, when your ev training, do you still gain +2 or whatever in other stats? not that im complaining cus id have a magby with 20 hp otherwise but im wondering how this all works. i thought you only gained points in a stat if youve battled the right pokemon for that stat. im a bit confuzzled
    The lady will give you the effort ribbon if the pokemon you're currently training (in your case, Magby) has all 510 EVs.

If you're training in Sp. Atk, you're doing the right thing by training on Gastly. Just think of it like this. 4 EVs = 1 more point in that stat when you reach level 100. So every 4 gastly you kill will give you one extra point in Sp. Atk

Pheonix_slayer

WASUP YALL?????
    Years
  • umbreon

lol, game freak is weird not to teach umbreon crunch.
    i have look at egg move charts and etc., but to no avail, can i teach umbreon crunch. is there a good dark type move to teach it (cross breeding or not), and/or could i teach it crunch using cross breeding or whatever?

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
  • lol, game freak is weird not to teach umbreon crunch.
    i have look at egg move charts and etc., but to no avail, can i teach umbreon crunch. is there a good dark type move to teach it (cross breeding or not), and/or could i teach it crunch using cross breeding or whatever?
    Umbreon cannot learn Crunch. I don't even know why you're aiming to use Umbreon as a sweeper Pokemon. The best possible move for Umbreon is probably Payback, since Umbreon is generally slow and Payback gets STAB and double the power if it goes last.

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2010
    The lady will give you the effort ribbon if the pokemon you're currently training (in your case, Magby) has all 510 EVs.

If you're training in Sp. Atk, you're doing the right thing by training on Gastly. Just think of it like this. 4 EVs = 1 more point in that stat when you reach level 100. So every 4 gastly you kill will give you one extra point in Sp. Atk

i know that what i mean to ask is A) if the magby wont take anymore calcium does that mean ive hit the limit for special attack and i have to now train in a different stat in order to reach the 510?

and also what determines the other +1's when you level up. like since im fighting all gastlys thats special attack. but when my magby levels up it doesnt get only sp atk. so what else contributes to the stat increases at level ups?

Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2015
    does anybody know how to rng abuse for perfectly hatched pokemon? i really need help, if you have some suggestions please leave me a vm.

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
    Years
  • i know that what i mean to ask is A) if the magby wont take anymore calcium does that mean ive hit the limit for special attack and i have to now train in a different stat in order to reach the 510?

and also what determines the other +1's when you level up. like since im fighting all gastlys thats special attack. but when my magby levels up it doesnt get only sp atk. so what else contributes to the stat increases at level ups?

You're missing parts of the puzzle. You already know that a pokemon can learn max 510 EVs. What you probably didn't know is that a pokemon can have only 255 EVs in one stat. Basic EV spreads are often 252/252/4, to maximize two stats and to place one stat point in another. As for the other numbers, those are normal stat gains. The EV gain are added onto normal stat gain so often a person can't tell if their pokemon is gaining their EV'd stats unless they're EV training something that's a really high level and gain unusual amount points such as +8 or +10.

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2010
    You're missing parts of the puzzle. You already know that a pokemon can learn max 510 EVs. What you probably didn't know is that a pokemon can have only 255 EVs in one stat. Basic EV spreads are often 252/252/4, to maximize two stats and to place one stat point in another. As for the other numbers, those are normal stat gains. The EV gain are added onto normal stat gain so often a person can't tell if their pokemon is gaining their EV'd stats unless they're EV training something that's a really high level and gain unusual amount points such as +8 or +10.

yea i knew the 252/252.4 thing i was jsut checking to make sure thats what was happening and i didnt mess up some how. thanks

thats exactly what i needed to know.

above someone was talking about rng abusing? what is it? ive never heard of rng

is it somthign like action replay?

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
  • yea i knew the 252/252.4 thing i was jsut checking to make sure thats what was happening and i didnt mess up some how. thanks
    thats exactly what i needed to know.

above someone was talking about rng abusing? what is it? ive never heard of rng

is it somthign like action replay?

It abuses a Random Number Generator (RNG) built into all games (DPP is the easiest to abuse though). Its not considered cheating.

Smogon has a really good guide on it which can be viewed here: https://www.smogon.com/ingame/rng/dpp_rng_intro

Izzy_

Breeder-in-Training
    Years
  • Here's a new team I'm thinking for Battle Frontier. I call it the Punishment Team

Drifblim @ Wide Lens
    Ability: Aftermath
    Nature: Timid/Jolly
    EVs: 252HP,126Def,126SPDef
    Moves:
    Hypnosis
    Stockpile
    Calm Mind
    Baton Pass

Houndoom @ Expert Belt
    Ability: Early Bird
    Nature: Hasty
    EVs: 252SpAtk,252Spd
    Moves:
    SolarBeam
    Flamethrower
    Dark Pulse
    Sludge Bomb

Umbreon @ Leftovers
    Ability: Synchronize
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 252SpAtk,252Spd,6HP
    Moves:
    Dream Eater
    Shadow Ball
    Psychic
    Hidden Power GROUND

Here's how I think it'll go. As the battle starts, Drifblim comes out and puts em to sleep with Hypnosis. Then she can either Stockpile for Houndoom or Calm Mind for Umbreon before Baton Pass-ing it to them. I'll choose which one depending on the Pokemon we're facing.

How does it sound? Does Umbreon and Houndoom have good enough type coverage?

Years
    • Seen May 18, 2010
    I'm making my Soul Silver team and I need some help with moves. With the emerald pokemon I will be transferring them from my emerald which I have completed. Please feel free to add moves. Which pokemon would be best?

Salamance: Dragon Claw, Earthquake, Dragon Rush, Crunch
    Garchomp: Dragon Rush, Sword Dance, Fire Fang, Draco Meteor
    Lucario: Swords Dance, Close Combat, Extremespeed, Ice Punch
    Ampharos: Substitute, Thunderbolt, Focus Punch, Thunderwave
    Aerodactyl: Stealth Rock, Taunt, Earthquake, Rock Slide
    Dragonite: Superpower, Draco Meteor, Flamethrower, Thunderbolt
    Tyranitar: Stone Edge, Crunch, Pursuit, Superpower
    Metagross: Meteor Mash, Earthquake, Explosion, Bullet Punch
    Alakazam: Psychic, Signal Beam, Focus Blast, Shadow Ball

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    How many EVs would I get for knocking out a Pokemon worth 1 Attack EV if my Pokemon is infected with the Pokerus AND is holding the Power Bracer?
    How many if that item was a Macho Brace?

Back