• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Request a Moveset / Simple Q&A / Breeding Questions

S+M staff are great

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Maybe

• Total voters
Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2011
    Online help

I need help deciding on a team to get me through the game and help me beat people. All i really have is Serperior I'll tell you his stats

Serperior lvl 61
    Coil
    Giga Drain
    Leaf Storm
    Dragon Tail

any ideas to add to my team? please and thanks
    ~Mycooly~

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2011
    I have some questions for more knowledgeable people.

All Questions refer to Gen V

Okay so, first question. I have a level 70 Hydreigon that I EV trained for speed and attack, but recently I had a Deino hatch from a egg and I was wondering if I should bother leveling this new Deino up and EV train it for something different. I'm a super noob at EV training by the way.

Second question: What does the nature and IV's have to do with the way I should train my pokemon? And what exactly are IV's and where can I see my pokemons IV's

Third: What is a good "Wall" pokemon in pokemon white? So far I have trained all my pokemon in Speed and Attack just because it was convenient.

Fourth: What is the difference between a pokemons attack and special attack?

Thats about it for now!
    Thanks in advanced to anyone who helps me out, I appreciate it!

-akaKidder

Haberdasher

suffers from nostalgia
    Years
  • I'm not that knowledgeable so I can't help with all of these, but I'll see what I can do.

2. IVs are numbers generated whenever a Pokemon is encountered/bred that determine how high its individual stats can go. They range from 0 to 31, and each number higher than 0 is one higher that the corresponding stat will be at level 100, all else being equal. IVs of wild Pokemon are roughly randomly generated; IVs of bred Pokemon somewhat rely on those of the parents. IVs cannot be directly viewed ingame as far as I know, but there are many IV calculators available online.
    Generally speaking, natures and IVs give an individual Pokemon certain strengths and weaknesses that usually should be taken into account by its EV spread. For example, a Jolly Alakazam with a 31 Speed IV and 0 SpAtk IV is faster, but less strong in Sp.Atk., than a Quiet Alakazam with a 0 Speed IV and a 31 SpAtk IV. Thus, you could choose either to make the first even faster and the second even stronger through EVs, or you could try to balance things out by giving the first one SpAtk EVs and the second Speed EVs. (Though given that Alakazam isn't good at anything but Speed and SpAtk, you might as well train in both in that case. :P)
    4. Attack determines how strong moves which make contact are, while Special Attack determines how strong moves which don't make contact are. Which moves are which can be found in-game on the summary screen showing the moves, and many Pokemon (but not all) generally rely on one of the two. With a few exceptions, moves which use the attacking pokemon's Attack hit the defender's Defense, while moves which use Special Attack hit Special Defense.

You might want to look at the relevant Bulbapedia/Serebii pages for this stuff, as they're more detailed and coherent than I can be right now. Hope this helped.

Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2011
    I need help deciding on a team to get me through the game and help me beat people. All i really have is Serperior I'll tell you his stats

any ideas to add to my team? please and thanks
    ~Mycooly~
    If you can take the time to try a few pokemon, then Braviary or Hydreigon are good additions. Pretty much the latar part of the game is managable with a few of these pokemon. Chandelure as well is pretty good with its high special attack. There are a load of good pokemon to choose from, you simply need to spend sometime raising them up to the ideal level.

All Questions refer to Gen V

Okay so, first question. I have a level 70 Hydreigon that I EV trained for speed and attack, but recently I had a Deino hatch from a egg and I was wondering if I should bother leveling this new Deino up and EV train it for something different. I'm a super noob at EV training by the way.
    This is a personal question you have to decide yourself. I find it annoying trying to EV train pokemon, so I try to do it only once per pokemon.
    Third: What is a good "Wall" pokemon in pokemon white? So far I have trained all my pokemon in Speed and Attack just because it was convenient.
    Confagrisus, Reniclus, Jellicent, and Ferrothorn are all decent pokemon in-game.
    -akaKidder

Detox

I would only recommend doing so if the IV's are superior.

Second question: What does the nature and IV's have to do with the way I should train my pokemon? And what exactly are IV's and where can I see my pokemons IV's

The nature of a pokemon increases one stat by 10% and hampers another by 10%. for a full list of natures, check here. IV's stand for Individual values, they range from 0 to 31 and have a role, along with natures, in determining how high a pokemons stats can be. While you cant see them, there are several methods that allow you to check, such as the Action Replay code or the IV Checker in the Battle Frontier/ Subway.

Well Commomn walls are things like Jellicent, Skarmory, Ferrothorn, Blissey...anything with moderate to high HP and Defenses, and can take a hit and usually recover it off. Which one you want to use though if your own preference.

Fourth: What is the difference between a pokemons attack and special attack?

Attack is for Physical moves and Special Attack is for special moves.

Thats about it for now!
    Thanks in advanced to anyone who helps me out, I appreciate it!

-akaKidder

Comments in bold, hope it helps.

Detox

I don't know if that would be the best idea, you would virtually have to fit two different teams into one, and they are polar opposites, so I really don't think that would work.

Everyone Esplode Noaw

Resident Russia Fanboy
    Years
  • Hexing Chandelure

Request a Moveset / Simple Q&A / Breeding Questions

Chandelure - The Luring Pokémon @ Leftovers
    252 Sp. Atk | 252 Speed
    Timid Nature

--

Fire Blast

Hex
    Calm Mind
    Will-O-Wisp

--

Strategy / Explanation
    Chandelure is one of the better Pokemon in Generation 5, but its Speed is lacking, so we're gonna max out his Speed EVs in order to help that; The Special Attack EVs are because this entire move set is based around its very good Special Attack stat.

The strategy is rather simple, using Will-O-Wisp to burn your opponent and you use Calm Mind to "stage-up" Chandelure's already powerful Special Attack until you are ready to attack with Hex and / or Fire Blast to possibly knock out the defending Pokemon.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 20, 2014
    Quick question.

Can I train EV train a pokemon by giving it an EXP share? I got some freshly bred pokes and it'll be very hard for the 1st couple of levels so I am wondering.

Ex - I give Axew the EXP share and Serperior kills a Patrat. Will Axew get the 1 EV point? If not, can someone explain how it would work?

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Quick question.

Can I train EV train a pokemon by giving it an EXP share? I got some freshly bred pokes and it'll be very hard for the 1st couple of levels so I am wondering.

Ex - I give Axew the EXP share and Serperior kills a Patrat. Will Axew get the 1 EV point? If not, can someone explain how it would work?

From what I've been reading, it would work like that, the same as if you put your Pokemon in the front and then switched it out. Both Pokemon would get the EVs. As long as you get experience, you receive the same EVs.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    Anyone ever use two weather changes in one team?

I'm trying to use sunny and rain.

It seems really difficult to pull off. I'm assuming you have Politoed + two rain abusers and then Ninetales + two sun abusers? I mean, you cover two types of weather there but there's a third weather in sand (and another in hail). Plus, if you get stuck where you're down to Politoed + your sun abusers, it won't work. I think you'd be better off sticking to one theme, not two.

Years
    • Seen Sep 20, 2014

From what I've been reading, it would work like that, the same as if you put your Pokemon in the front and then switched it out. Both Pokemon would get the EVs. As long as you get experience, you receive the same EVs.

Ahh thank you. So pretty much both will get 1 EV point and it'll work. Thank you :)

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2011
    Need Help Breeding

I'm trying to breed the 'perfect' Hydreigon, perfect being in my eyes. I've been reading guides on how exactly to try and go about this and it seems very complicated. I understand how to EV train and what not. I'm more curious about the IV's.

How can I get the IV's where I want them? If at all possible?

Sorry if this is in the wrong area, I wasn't exactly sure where to put it. :[

Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2011
    Anyone ever use two weather changes in one team?
    I'm trying to use sunny and rain.
    I don't know if that would be the best idea, you would virtually have to fit two different teams into one, and they are polar opposites, so I really don't think that would work.
    It seems really difficult to pull off. I'm assuming you have Politoed + two rain abusers and then Ninetales + two sun abusers? I mean, you cover two types of weather there but there's a third weather in sand (and another in hail). Plus, if you get stuck where you're down to Politoed + your sun abusers, it won't work. I think you'd be better off sticking to one theme, not two.

Take their advice that dual weather on the same team won't turn out well. The better alternative to what your suggesting to do anonite might be to abuse the fact that your opponent might be running a weather team too. So, if you design your team around say water, then you add on a pokemon like garchomp. If you ever run into a sandstorm team, you have a pokemon to benefit from it in a way.

Years
    • Seen Sep 20, 2014
    Correct me if I am wrong please or simply confirm my math.

I am EV training my Axew using an EXP share and fighting Basculins. I did not use any vitamins so I started from 0. Basculin gives 2 EV points per kill so I would need to kill 126 Basculins to get 252 EV stat in speed, right?

Raichupacabra

Villain
    Years
  • Correct me if I am wrong please or simply confirm my math.

I am EV training my Axew using an EXP share and fighting Basculins. I did not use any vitamins so I started from 0. Basculin gives 2 EV points per kill so I would need to kill 126 Basculins to get 252 EV stat in speed, right?

Ask for Pokerus (x2) from Forever and get a Power Anklet (+4) so you will only need to fight 21.

2 + 4 = 6 x 2 = 12 x 21 = 252 (With PKRS and Anklet)

If you don't have access to this stuff. It's okay.

And yeah your calculations are correct.

Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2011
    Even though blaziken is suspect on our server, I was wondering about its moveset anyway.

Blaziken (F) @ Life Orb
    Ability: Speed Boost
    EV: 252 Atk/ 252 Spd/ 4 Hp
    Jolly (+Spd/-SAtk)
    - Baton Pass
    - Sword Dance
    - Brick Break
    - Shadow Claw

As a physical sweeper, does this set-up enable to effectively sweep? Or do the move changes alter its abilty to sweep?

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    Even though blaziken is suspect on our server, I was wondering about its moveset anyway.

Blaziken (F) @ Life Orb
    Ability: Speed Boost
    EV: 252 Atk/ 252 Spd/ 4 Hp
    Jolly (+Spd/-SAtk)
    - Baton Pass
    - Sword Dance
    - Brick Break
    - Shadow Claw

As a physical sweeper, does this set-up enable to effectively sweep? Or do the move changes alter its abilty to sweep?

a) Baton Pass is illegal on Ken; b) Brick Break and Shadow Claw aren't nearly as powerful as Flare Blitz and Hi Jump Kick, plus they aren't STABbed (well, Brick Break is, but it's weak as hell).

TBH, my favorite set for Blaziken runs Leftovers, as well as Adamant and Protect > Baton Pass (because that's illegal haha). The two moves that you have left give perfect coverage, but they're still really weak and it won't really make an more of an effective sweep than running Flare Blitz and HJK. Remember, you do have five other team members to take out what resists Fire + Fighting. ;)

Years
  • Thanks again. I wanted to confirm that if my pokemon e.g. Snivy battled wearing a macho brace, not only him but my pokemon with EXP Share would also get 2 EVs in whatever stat that corresponds with the pokemon battled. I say this, as I've read on 'serebii.net' that this is not the case and that the way to do this is to place the macho brace on the lower level pokemon (instead of the EXP Share) and send it out first and then change to my Snivy - meaning the lower level pokemon gets 2 EVs and the Snivy gets 1.

With regards to my team, I can't find a quick method to check the relevant IVs I want for my pokemon, so I may have to just EV train without knowing their IVs - Do you by any chance know where I could find a lv 1 Litwick, Deino andAxew with perfect/good IVs in SpAtk & Spd/Atk & Spd, so I could trade the pokemon for them.

Cheers :)

I sent this message a few days ago, but still haven't received a reply. I would be very grateful if anybody could share their thoughts on this topic.

Thank you :)

Back