• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Restarting Pokémon Games

Years
  • I never, ever reset the games that I'm currently playing or into. For example, I wont reset AS but I'll reset Y because I don't play Y nearly as much. Ill reset older games such as my Emerald and Crystal because I know I won't regret it. Usually for me it's a nostalgic thing when it comes to me resetting the older games

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    Yeah, I'm a restarter. I've been doing it since G/S/C era on my first game. Not even caring that I lost all my Pokemon, as I'd do it ages after the last playthrough. I have those games memorized due to that. Not sure why I did it so many times, as I don't SUPER love those games nowadays. Probably because they were the only Pokemon games I had for the longest time.

I still do it. I recently restarted my Y and plan on restarting Omega Ruby as well later. And probably will also restart Black as I've transferred all my Pokemon off of it. Nowadays with the ability to transfer your Pokemon to future games as well as Pokemon Bank, this becomes a lot less painful. I only don't like losing all my items. But that's okay. I'll just trade the Mega Stones to another game or something. I just like to do it because I want to try using different starters, as well as different teams.

Meng Jiaxin

Dragonlord of the Seas
    Years
  • I've restarted every single game I've owned multiple times (Platium, HG, SS, Black, White, B2, W2, X, AS), but the most has to be X which I've played through 4 times. I love just starting the game with my faves and not having to catch Pokemon at all in my restarts.

Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2016
    I restart my games every couple of weeks (Or more than that if I'm not enjoying the current playthrough team)

Only because I like to go through the game creating my own little story. Like one playthrough I'll be a character that would catch Pokémon that I would in real life and try to make it as real as possible. (Like a new trainer wouldn't catch Groudon a few hours into their adventure haha) and I like to make it a bit like the anime where all my Pokémon don't evolve straight away, don't use Potions or anything during battle, don't trade in Pokémon from other games etc.

I also like to give my Pokémon little background stories. For example, my character had just been introduced to WonderTrade and there was a big Pokémon WonderTrade festival happening in Slateport. (Stupid, I know) And so my aim as a trainer was to catch a Pokémon that I think another trainer would like and Wonder Trade it. (Only once, what I get is what I get) And an Absol came through. It turned out to be a breedject and had a number as a name. So I made up the story that this Absol that had came through had been part of an experiment and since it was born it wasn't even given a name, just a number, then was sent away because it was too weak. So I kept this Absol to train up and try to restore it's trust in humans. I asked if he wanted me to give him a proper nickname and knowing you can't actually do that to traded Pokémon the story was that he rejected the name change as he never wanted to forget where he came from. He wanted to turn that number into a badge of honour instead of letting it be a scar.

Anyway, I know it's stupid but that's the way I like to play!

NocturnLeader

Team Nocturn Leader
    Years
  • Currently I am going to Reset X after catching Moltres, I caught and did everything else and just updated my Pokebank Pokedex, I just need Moltres then have to reset to get the next bird. I thought each one was in the game but only get 1 which is LAME. So yeah wish that the 3ds GTS online would just transfer pokemon data to the new Reset but nope. So Thats out the window but in the mean time i am breeding pokemon in X til I get to actaully catch moltres, only 9 more times to find it before it becomes catchable!

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I don't tend to reset my games too much. I simply become too attached to them, so without a way to back up the save files, I don't like to start anew. In Red, I used to save my games to my MegaMemory Card and restart, and then I could reload them later, but since then, it's generally been one save per file. However, I do get both versions, so I do have multiple shots at playing the games.

This generation, however, I've started getting extra games that I can use as reset/challenge games. It started with extra digital copies of X and Y that I got for registering games I already owned and my 3DS/3DSXL, and then I bought extra copies of ORAS (one to use at a slower pace with a friend, and one for general restart purposes). I'm enjoying that new model, and with Bank there is a lot less trading involved than before to make it work well, so I may continue to get an extra restartable copy of the games in future generations.

tetsutaigas

your regular overlord
    Years
  • I reset all of my games a lot actually. I always play through them once and soon after I want a fresh start, most of the time. Maybe it's because I'm not very competitive when it comes to battling so I never have much to do post game!

Back