• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

RM2K/3 Pokemon Battle System

Are you planning on using the battle sys in your game?

• Yes

Votes: 88 61.5%
  • No

Votes: 23 16.1%
  • Not sure yet...

Votes: 21 14.7%
  • I don't care

Votes: 11 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toothache

Deepsea Toothache
Years
Weird stuff

Ok, I'm not too hot on the RM series (although I have played around with RM2k a bit and now have RM XP).

Any idea how you're gonna get the very weird stuff to work in battle?
I'm thinking of stuff like Substitute. I just can't seem to think of an effective way for that to work. Any ideas anyone?

Brendan Trainer

Let's battle!
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 9, 2005
Well, it can be done...

1) Remove 15% of the full HP from the user
2) Summon a token with Total HP of substitute=15% of user's life
3) If the user's HP is equal or less than 15% of its total HP, the attack fails...

I don't see there's no chance of making substitute...

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
Years
There's nothing that can't be done in RM2K(3)!

Except... erm... online play. But ANYWAYS.......

Another "weird" example I guess would be Metronome. For that each attack would be assigned a variable (1). Then we'd take a random range of the number of attacks there are (2). Then, if 1=2, use this random attack. So yeah, nothing's impossible

Except... erm... online play

;)

santadidit102

GFX Artist
Years
Help!!!!

3 questions

1:How do you add/ change the pokemon?
2:How do you add trainers before the battle?
3:Can someone fix my intro?

Last edited:
Years
Toothache said:
Any idea how you're gonna get the very weird stuff to work in battle?
I'm thinking of stuff like Substitute. I just can't seem to think of an effective way for that to work. Any ideas anyone?
Well with the battle system you program the attack's effects yourself..
For a move like substitute you minus 15% of the hero's HP which is put into a variable for substitute HP and turn on a switch called substitute or something.. then make it so that if the switch substitute is on then the damage is taken away from the substitute's HP.. etc etc I dont have to explain everything do I? The idea with the battle system is that we do the battle engine and everyone else does what they want in their games..
I am currently working on the item system.. Two item areas are complete so far.. Pokeballs section and Items section.. I have only completed one item so far and it is the pokeball item... fully tested.. now you can re-name your pokemon from battle when you catch it.
I don't feel like working today i need a rest... Maybe another point in today I will get to work..

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
Years
Remember that readme I said I'd do a long time ago? Well, I've worked on it. I've added the terms for using it (Terms o' Service) and various other pieces of "technical" information. Should we release it under the GNU or my custom liscense (remember from the old tech demo installer)? Also, we should distribute it in .rar, .zip, and.exe (installer) format so we can cater to as large a population of people as possible.

And finally, I've been working on a cool .doc format of essentially the same thing. I'll post both when I'm done with both :)

Years
Wow I guess everyone is getting to work lately.. Umm... Release it under your own custom license because you were quite specific in what you give permission to do.
Hmm.. If we put in a whole heap of work (when the battle sys is completed) do you think it would be possible to create and installer? I'm not quite sure about it.. What if people try to install it to their game's directory? It will override their variables/switches and anything with the same name... Like the map files..
I was planning on .ZIP because winrar has support for .ZIP files so there is no problem.. We just give out a download link for winrar to be on the safe side.

I am going a little offtopic here but oh well... I had a job interview today and they asked me to come back tomorrow for some trial work and I'm going to celebrate tonight :)
I also failed my drivers license by 1 question on monday..:(
This is why I haven't been able to do much work this week.. Well... I will cya later..

P.S. Planning on doing a whole heap of work soon for all this inconvenience.. Sorry :P

Toothache

Deepsea Toothache
Years
Well, here's what I've found. Lot of formula here, but it's pretty easy to understand. It only needs a few extra variables, all the rest are derived from IVs pretty much.

HP Type = (T1 + T2 + T3 + T4 + T5 + T6) x 15/63

where

T1 is 1 if the HP IV is odd, otherwise it's 0
T2 is 2 if the Attack IV is odd, otherwise 0
T3 is 4 if the Defence IV is odd, otherwise 0
T4 is 8 if the Speed IV is odd, otherwise 0
T5 is 16 if the Special Attack IV is odd, otherwise 0
T6 is 32 if the Special Defence IV is odd, otherwise 0

Round any decimals normally, and you should get a value between 0 and 15.

If the type number is 0, HP Type is Fighting
If the type number is 1, HP Type is Flying
If the type number is 2, HP Type is Poison
If the type number is 3, HP Type is Ground
If the type number is 4, HP Type is Rock
If the type number is 5, HP Type is Bug
If the type number is 6, HP Type is Ghost
If the type number is 7, HP Type is Steel
If the type number is 8, HP Type is Fire
If the type number is 9, HP Type is Water
If the type number is 10, HP Type is Grass
If the type number is 11, HP Type is Electric
If the type number is 12, HP Type is Psychic
If the type number is 13, HP Type is Ice
If the type number is 14, HP Type is Dragon
If the type number is 15, HP Type is Dark

And to determine the power of the move. We use this formula:

HP Power = (P1 + P2 + P3 + P4 + P5 + P6) x 40/63 + 30

Where:
If the IV of HP divided by 4 has a remainder of 2 or 3, P1 = 1, else 0
If the IV of Attack divided by 4 has a remainder of 2 or 3, P2 = 2, else 0
If the IV of Defence divided by 4 has a remainder of 2 or 3, P3 = 4, else 0
If the IV of Speed divided by 4 has a remainder of 2 or 3, P4 = 8, else 0
If the IV of Special Attack divided by 4 has a remainder of 2 or 3, P5 = 16, else 0
If the IV of Special Defence divided by 4 has a remainder of 2 or 3, P6 = 32, else 0

Simply put, if the value of the IV is these values, then it activated the P conditions in the formula, else they are not added: 2, 3, 6, 7, 10, 11, 14, 15, 18, 19, 22, 23, 26, 27, 30, 31.

The number that comes of the HP Power formula determines the base power of the Hidden Power of the Pokemon. Again, round normally, and the number you get will be between 30 and 70.

I hope that sums things up enough (yeah, it's not completely easy to understand)

Years
Wow.. I think that's rather complicated for something which can be done a much simpler way...
So you want HP to be based on stats..? I have a simpler method for determining pokemon type anyway, there are variables for which pokemon is which eg. var [0001:Pokemon1] equals 1.. I could just make some code which recognises that pokemon 1 is flying type etc etc..
Or if worst comes to worst then I will just make a pokemon type variable and add it to the stats..

HP is done manually.. If you receive a pokemon from someone then you add the stats yourself.. If you catch a wild pokemon then their stats (which you code before the battle begins) will become your new pokemon's stats..

I have already been through a lot of coding and I don't want to do a lot of complicated coding for something which was already available..
There are charts for pokemon HP and stuff all over the web.

Umm.. I don't know what an IV is, or P conditions... I think the T3 things are variables..
Sorry if I sound uhh... grumpy or something.. I need sleep.

P.S. Guys, I have to tell you all something. I got the job and I went to look at my new house the other day.. When I'm ready I will move into it so I may have to discontinue this project (on my behalf).. This does not mean the project will be discontinued, it only means that I will probably not be working on it anymore.. I will try to get as much work done as possible before I move out, then I will upload it and you can all have what I have been putting together.
DM, I am really sorry to do this to you but it's something I have to do.. You are the project leader and (if you want) you can continue the project. I might come and see what you have done someday...

We have a lot of great programmers/spriters/mappers etc here and I think of you all as close friends. It was a lot of fun working on this project with everyone :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back