• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

RM2K/3 Pokemon Battle System

Are you planning on using the battle sys in your game?

• Yes

Votes: 88 61.5%
  • No

Votes: 23 16.1%
  • Not sure yet...

Votes: 21 14.7%
  • I don't care

Votes: 11 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toothache

Deepsea Toothache
Years
santadidit102, MatiZ Master, don't spam please. Thank you.

And yes, while HP can be done simpler, this is the method Nintendo/Game Freak use, and I'd rather this was implemented alongside any simpler system you care to use. I'd rather use a CBS that was authentic, rather than one that's just a bunch of cool ideas that probably don't work very well.

Booda Sack

Sphere Master
Years
I agree with toothache.
And I don't want to offend but anybody that works on a pokemon battle system really should know about IV values.
They are pretty much the bases of stat calculations in pokemon games other formulae for calculating stats without IV values would make the battle system just a like a generic rpg battle system.
You pobably read about how pokemon of the same type never have the same stats and how its better to catch a pokemon at earlier level and raise it rather that catch a high level pokemon in the wild or why your pokemon stats are so low if you raise it with just rare candies.
Thats what EV and IV values do.

Last edited:

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
Years
I may have to discontinue this project
That's gotta be the worst news I've heard all day. If that's the case, I'll take over a lot of the "programming" in my free time, and I may be able to find someone to help.

It's been ages since I've seen someone use the right word ;)

I guess if Meerkat's leaving I'm gonna have to fool around with these EVs and IVs. IV doesn't happen to stand for Independent Variable, does it? That's what it stands for in science experiments...

But I guess it makes sense to have it authentic. On the flip side, we know each pkmn's type and we don't need to use a formula to determine this. So we may as well use the resources we have to make things simpler for determining type. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just being open to ideas.

What does anyone else think?

Toothache

Deepsea Toothache
Years
Yeah, the Hidden Power type is totally independant of the Pokemon's type.

IV stands for Individual Values, and these are a number between 0 and 31 which is added to the actual stats of the Pokemon, at L100. Say, you have a Dodrio, which has a normal L100 Speed stat of 236, and he has 14 in IV. Simply add the two numbers together, and this Dodrio's final Speed stat is 250.

Of course, IVs are also passed on via breeding, at least 50% of them are. The child gains 3 IVs out of six from it's parents, the rest are determined randomly. Between the two parents, the male can supply either one or two, with the female making up the rest.

Booda Sack

Sphere Master
Years
Actually thats not how you use IV's.
Here is how you calculate a stat:
Stat = Math.Floor(
(( BaseStat * 2 + IV + Math.Floor( EV/4 ) ) * Level/100 + 5 ) * Personality
)

For personality,just say you were calculating attack and the pokemon's personality was brave,this increases attack so you replace personality with 1.1 but if the persoanlity does nothing to the stat you are calculating it stays 1 and if lowers it you lower the value.

HP Calculation is different because perosanlity isn't involved.

HP = ( BaseStat * 2 + IV + Math.Floor( EV/4 ) ) * Level/100 + 10 + Level

Years
Booda Sack said:
Actually thats not how you use IV's.
Here is how you calculate a stat:
Stat = Math.Floor(
(( BaseStat * 2 + IV + Math.Floor( EV/4 ) ) * Level/100 + 5 ) * Personality
)

For personality,just say you were calculating attack and the pokemon's personality was brave,this increases attack so you replace personality with 1.1 but if the persoanlity does nothing to the stat you are calculating it stays 1 and if lowers it you lower the value.

HP Calculation is different because perosanlity isn't involved.

HP = ( BaseStat * 2 + IV + Math.Floor( EV/4 ) ) * Level/100 + 10 + Level
Umm... Sorry I only understand half of that.. Anyway since we are using rm2k3 could you please keep it to rm2k3 coding..? Thanks :)
Booda, you are making it sound like we don't know anything about our battle system and it's just a childish rpg battle engine.
If you open up the battle system in rm2k3 you will see that there is actually some pretty intense coding there. Instead of IV's and EV's I developed a formula which uses ferocity as an IV.. It greatly affects attack if changed.
Attack is determined by the ferocity and basic attack of pokemon. Anyway the whole thing has been fully tested by me and the rest of PC. Why do you think I released a demo so soon? I'm not quite sure how to use IV's and EV's (like what affects them and how to raise them) so I have made do with what I could and it stayed relatively the same.
Booda Sack said:
You pobably read about how pokemon of the same type never have the same stats and how its better to catch a pokemon at earlier level and raise it rather that catch a high level pokemon in the wild or why your pokemon stats are so low if you raise it with just rare candies.
Well in answer to those statements,
1. Of course not. Pokemon stats are determined randomly before the battle so you will not be able to catch 2 of the same type with same stats.
2. That's possible with the current battle system. Wild pokemon are always weaker than pokemon you caught yourself and trained (when you battle with them), I made the battle system that way.
3. I haven't made the rare candy item yet but when I do, It's effects will just be half that of leveling up normally.
Darkmage31 said:
It's been ages since I've seen someone use the right word ;)
Well of course, Formulae is the plural. :P

Last edited:
Years
Please don't spam. If you don't understand then don't say anything. I was trying to tell everyone that the battle system is still authentic and works the same way. It can never be completely authentic because they use hexidecimal and we use rm2k3 to code. This is what I'm getting at, just because we do things a simpler way doesn't mean they aren't as affective.
santadidit102 said:
can some1 plz speak english???lol
And you're making a pokemon game..?

Toothache

Deepsea Toothache
Years
Krazy_Meerkat said:
If you open up the battle system in rm2k3 you will see that there is actually some pretty intense coding there. Instead of IV's and EV's I developed a formula which uses ferocity as an IV.. It greatly affects attack if changed. Attack is determined by the ferocity and basic attack of pokemon.

Whoa, I thought you were trying to make the CBS as authentic as possible. It seems to me you're changing everything about the original Pokemon battle system, and not in a way I like or will work effectively, IMO.

BTW, I never said that quote, Krazy, there's too many typos for one. :-p

Years
Toothache said:
Whoa, I thought you were trying to make the CBS as authentic as possible. It seems to me you're changing everything about the original Pokemon battle system, and not in a way I like or will work effectively, IMO.

BTW, I never said that quote, Krazy, there's too many typos for one. :-p
Yeah sorry bout that quote I used the wrong name..
It doesn't really sound like you know a lot about rm2k3.. To make anything, you need to start from nothing.. We had nothing at all, and we tried to simulate the original pokemon battle system as best we could without knowing the exact formulae etc. etc.
If you have actually tried the battle system then you would know that it doesn't greatly differ from the original one. That's why it's called a "replica" if it wasn't anything like the original one then I wouldn't be trying anymore.
Nobody is perfect and if you knew the frustrations of having to code EVERY detail of the pokemon games EXACTLY the same as your game then you wouldn't be perfect either.

Now please, this is the battle system thread and I don't want to hear things like "I don't like it" and "It's not exactly the same as pokemon games"
I don't want to end my last few weeks at PC badly so please.. Constructive critisism is requested, If you don't know how to fix a problem then don't complain about it.

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
Years
I'm not sure who's side to take on this :(

You've both made convincing arguments.

Purists:
1) It's gotta be authentic
2) It just wouldn't be the same if it's not exactly the same

...other people
1) It's too complicated to do in RM2K(3)
2) Why work so hard when there are logical workarounds that grant the same effect

There should be a poll. What does everyone think?

Barry

Pokémon Trainer
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 16, 2018
Well I really don't understand but I have a question. Will it still be the same as it is in RM2K3 defaults battle systems (where there isn't one person attacking at a time, it's attack whenever you can).

Or will it be like the Pokemon games where you alternate in turns.

?

rubyrulez

Back in Action...again...
Years
Krazy Meerkat said:
Now please, this is the battle system thread and I don't want to hear things like "I don't like it" and "It's not exactly the same as pokemon games"
I don't want to end my last few weeks at PC badly so please.. Constructive critisism is requested, If you don't know how to fix a problem then don't complain about it.

I think that you and everyone else is doing a great job on the battle system. Nothing gets more authentic then that. Just all of the features need to be added is all, I don't understand why anybody would complain that it isn't authentic and isn't good. And I didn't know you were leaving, Krazy! Are you coming back?

Booda Sack

Sphere Master
Years
Sorry Krazy_Meerkat I didnt mean to make it sound like you were coding a childish rpg battle system.
What I ment was that your battle system was different.
Like a standard rpg battle system,not a childish one.
In response to your statement about pokemon stats being randomly generated before a battle.
That is true and it isn't.
This is because of base stats which are set and no one can change them so if you were unlucky enough that every pokemon you caught had all its IV's on zero then those pokemons stats would be the same unless you battle them a bit and thats where EV's come in.
Because if you battled just pokemon that give you attack EV's then your attack would go up the most.Thats why you would get something like +3 points in attack or +1 in defense or +0 in some others when you level up.
And yes it can be completley authentic(in theory) because they do not use hexidecimal to code.
I say in theory because short of actually asking the people making the game for the forumlae the only thing you can do is get pretty close to it.
Also im not saying is has to be completley 100% authentic.
I dont know exactly what they use to code but it is more than likey ASM mayby even C++.
I could be way off but I know that they do not use hexidecimal,that is what people use when hacking the games.

Years
rubyrulez said:
I think that you and everyone else is doing a great job on the battle system. Nothing gets more authentic then that. Just all of the features need to be added is all, I don't understand why anybody would complain that it isn't authentic and isn't good. And I didn't know you were leaving, Krazy! Are you coming back?
Whenever I get a chance I will come and visit. :)
Thanks for your nice comments I still have a bit more of the bag still to do..
I think after it is done I will make one of those demo things and upload it.. DM how big is the demo builder? I can't download too much on this computer..
It doesn't bother me if it's not 100% authentic I just want it to be 100% customizable :D
Barry, Yes it is turn based like the pokemon games, it does not use the dbs at all.

Years
Booda Sack said:
Sorry Krazy_Meerkat I didnt mean to make it sound like you were coding a childish rpg battle system.
What I ment was that your battle system was different.
Like a standard rpg battle system,not a childish one.
In response to your statement about pokemon stats being randomly generated before a battle.
That is true and it isn't.
This is because of base stats which are set and no one can change them so if you were unlucky enough that every pokemon you caught had all its IV's on zero then those pokemons stats would be the same unless you battle them a bit and thats where EV's come in.
Because if you battled just pokemon that give you attack EV's then your attack would go up the most.Thats why you would get something like +3 points in attack or +1 in defense or +0 in some others when you level up.
And yes it can be completley authentic(in theory) because they do not use hexidecimal to code.
I say in theory because short of actually asking the people making the game for the forumlae the only thing you can do is get pretty close to it.
Also im not saying is has to be completley 100% authentic.
I dont know exactly what they use to code but it is more than likey ASM mayby even C++.
I could be way off but I know that they do not use hexidecimal,that is what people use when hacking the games.
Ok fair enough.. But the stats aren't really random I just gave it some randomness.. Like if the standard pokemon's HP was 45 then before the battle it goes
set variable [pokemon hp] rnd 37-52
It is still random but creates a chance to vs some pokemon which are stronger than others.

The leveling system is a maze within itself.. I'm not quite sure how to explain it but all of the stats level up with the pokemon.. The attack EV or IV or whatever will go at a different pace.. Even if ferocity doesn't level up then your pokemon is still stronger.. If it does then the pokemon's strength doubles and then next level it goes 1/3 up and next level it goes 1/4 up etc. etc. But the aren't very high odds of that happening.. I don't remember exactly but it was something like
set variable [randomness] rnd 1-14
If var [randomness] equals 1
*varifying that the ferocity might now go up
set var [randomness] rnd 1-30
If var [randomness] less than 4
var [ferocity] increase 2
Else
If var [randomness] greater than 18
var [ferocity] increase 1
Meh it has a good effect after a few levels

Sorye HK

Looking around here and there
Years
  • Seen Dec 1, 2021
Krazy, you're leaving PC? Does that mean you won't post at all? Or you
just don't have time to help with the group project? Will you still be here
at Oct 9th?

Sorry for all the questions. It's been a while since I've logged on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back