• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Role Playing--Great!

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    Dun DUNNNNN. Boss battle time! =O

You were right about the Zubats (and probably Golbats later on). That Sandshrew was kind of confusing, how he proclaimed that they had to prove themselves and then lowering to a random match that doesn't really prove anything. Still a good chapter overall - keep at it! :3

Rabbit

where is my mind?
    Years
  • I've just finished Episode 1 and I give it a 5/5 with no reservations. There are some minor things, like the standard 'cute' family scene and a Vulpix that giggles (well, okay, maybe they do that in the anime), but you avoid the worst cliches with good use of details and even add some off-hand characterization - the manga on the carpet is a nice touch. Your grammar is spot-on and your sentence construction isn't awkward in the least. What a relief.

Ironically, your description of a fake RPG is far more life-like than most of the roleplays on this forum, and they play straight the cliches that you're making fun of. >_>;

I agree with Unchosen, though, that the humour content has gone down from the first episode. Descriptions of monster-whacking aren't incredibly fun to read. You introduced the cleric two episodes ago - add him to the group already!

Last edited:

EmeraldSky

Make the Colors in the Sky!
    Years
  • I didn't introduce the white mage yet, that's still coming up in the "game". The cleric we saw before was an NPC--the cleric I'm planning to introduce is someone different.

I'll also cut down the random battles--maybe just show the detailed fight the first time I show a monster, and a condensed version every time I show that monster from then on.

If you want to be notified when new episodes come out, let me know

Last edited:

EmeraldSky

Years
  • Episode 6: The Tongue-tied Boss

So, what kind of a boss will I be expecting to fight? Maya asked as she guided the hero up to the waterfall, where she could see something vaguely shaped like a tear hovering in the water. There it is, the Aqua Tear!

Sure enough, hitting SELECT prompted the mage to comment "Could it be...is this really the Aqua Tear?"
    Only one way to find out! Maya smiled as she manuvered the hero close to the tear shaped gem and examined it.

"A tear shaped gem hovers here in the air! Take it?" the game asked before offering Maya a choice dialog. She selected YES and watched a cutscene begin.

The scene opened on the hero and the mage looking at the shining blue tear shaped gem. "Amazing...this is the actual Aqua Tear!" the hero began.

"You sure? There could be a trap here." the mage cautioned.

"Oh, come now--that only works in stories!" the hero scoffed.

Hate to break it to you, hero; but yes, you ARE in a story; and yes, there's going to be a trap there. Maya smirked as the hero reached out for the gem. Right about... A Gyarados leapt from the waterfall seconds later, startling the hero! now...

"Surprise, surprise!" the Gyarados taunted. "Thought you could get away with my trittle leasure, did you?"

Whose idea was it to make this guy wix up his mords? Maya sighed. Spoonerisms were cute in some circumstances, but a boss? She had been expecting an epic personality for an epic fight.

"Who are you?" the mage demanded.

"I am the guardian of water, Mari, in Pokemon form!" the Gyarados explained. "It has been many years since I last met an explorer here...500 years, I tell you! 500 years waiting for the left--er, the right one to come..."

Aw, we were so close to saying one thing without mixing the words up! Maya smiled. Raye just giggled at Maya's bemused smile.

"But now's not the time for seetings and gralutations!" the Gyarados continued. "Since you have arrived here seeking the lost Aqua Tear, it's time for the troment of mial!"

Ooh, I'm so scared... Maya grumbled. What might you do to poor little me, Mr. Tongue Twisted Guardian of Water?

"Do you wish to ly your truck in battle for the Aqua Tear?" the Gyarados asked, prompting a choice dialog to appear.

Before we fight, I'm gonna read how you defeat this guy. Maya thought as she set the controller aside and got up to return to her PC, which was still conveniently on the GameHelp page for Raidiant Divinity VI.

Raye pictured the Gyarados and the hero lying down on top of a truck and burst out laughing so hard, she rolled on top of the controller and made it select "NO", prompting the Gyarados to say "No? After my 500 year wait for a chorthy wallenger, you do not want to try? Very well..." before disappearing into the water again, ending the cutscene.

Maya looked back in horror at the game screen and groaned--now she was going to have to sit through that cutscene again! It didn't help that the Gyarados had an annoying voice.

She gathered up the sticky notes with her hastily written strategies for the next few bosses on them and shooed Raye from the bed as she retrieved the controls again. I wish Raye didn't do that...

After speeding through the cutscene back to the choice again, Maya selected YES and watched as the Gyarados replied "Wery vell, let us hattle band to band to see if you are worthy of having my trittle leasure!" With that, the scene swirled into battle.

Let's see if physical attacks will do anything... Maya thought as she directed both characters to attack. It tured out to do a litttle damage, but it would take a lot more attacks like it to bring the Gyarados down. The Gyarados tried breathing mist at the party, but it completely missed the mage and was deflected by the hero. Maya heaved a sigh of relief. Good thing that attack missed--I don't want to be grappling with blinded characters.

Then an idea from her own battles crossed her mind--if Gyarados was a water type, would using lightning based spells do major damage? She directed the hero to attack and the mage to cast Bolt and crossed her fingers.

"Strip away the ground with glistening blades! Bolt!" the mage called, making thunderbolts rain down on the Gyarados for much more damage than attacking alone. She kept up the strategy for the rest of the battle, only pausing to heal HP and Blind as needed.

She was down to her last bottle of Eye Drops and the mage was in danger when she delivered the final blow some minutes later.

"Well? Do you find us worthy of the Tear now?" the hero asked.

The Gyarados winced a little, then replied. "Yes, yes...fell wought! You are indeed worthy of having my trittle leasure after all! Although you seem small, very much like the gittle lirl I entrusted the Tear to 500 years ago, you are very strong!"

"Why thank you!" the mage smiled.

You took a beating before, and now you're fine? That was--oh wait, hero probably healed him. Maya thought.

"So you gave the Tear to a descendant of Quine, the fortune teller?" the hero asked.

"Our agreement was that she and her descendants would draw on the Tear's power so long as there was weace in the porld." the Gyarados explained. "And when the waterfall told me that the village she and her descendants had lived had been flisteriously mooded, it came back here to its plightful race. But that is not the only rumor the waterfall has told me about..."
    "Oh?" The hero was interested.

"I have also heard that the hagnificent mouse called the Chateau de Aozora was put under a dreadful curse, turning all of its inhabitants to stone, save for one brittle loy that fled into the world." the Gyarados continued.

"You speak true..." the hero replied. "I am the boy that fled, and I seek the Tear's power to turn back my family's heirloom towards the light and break the curse." At this, the scene switched to the "aged" black and white scene of the Chateau again. After a few tense seconds, a bright light broke down a balcony wall, and the entire structure began rapidly turning to stone. As the camera zoomed out on the quickly petrifying Chateau, a familiar sillhouette was seen running away down a path.

Some footsteps and hard breathing began the next "aged" scene of the young hero running down a path. He ran for a little while before stopping for breath at an intersection. When he turned to look back at the now petrified Chateau, a tear began forming in his eye. For some reason, his sadness gave him new strength to keep running, with the flashback ending with him running down the left path, tears streaming down his face.

"Vul pix..." Raye commented from the windowsill.

"...and when I looked back on my home, now completely turned to stone, I swore through my tears that I would find the eight Elemental Stones that lay scattered through Feras and unleash their combined song on the one that brought the curse." the hero concluded.

"Your story confirms to me that you were indeed that brittle loy the waterfall told me about, and your need for the Tear is great. Rake it tespectfully." the Gyarados replied before disappearing in the water again, leaving the tear shaped gem in the hero's hands.

A triumphant fanfare played as the hero did a small victory dance that culminated in his holding the Tear high. We did it! Maya smiled in agreement as the hero heard the Tear sing Take a melody... before unleashing a small amount of light blue energy, which the hero stored inside one point of a eight pointed star necklace before putting Maya back in control.

Since I don't want to go all the way back through here, let's cast Escape. Maya smiled.

"Take us away from this place of darkness! Escape!" the hero called, warping him and the mage outside to the cave entrance.

Now we'll see if Quine will be helpful. Maya smiled as she guided the hero back to town...

To Be Continued...

EmeraldSky

Years
  • Episode 7: A Trio Foretold

Okay, Quine--we got the Aqua Tear for you, so show us what you got! Maya thought as she guided the hero back into town and entered the fortune teller's house, where Muniya and Quine were waiting. Before approaching the table Quine sat before, she studied her characters' stats--the hero had grown to level 8 on the way back to town, and the mage was not far behind. Once satisfied with the stats, she approached the table, triggering a cutscene.

The hero walked up to the table and set the Aqua Tear in its proper place. "Here it is--the Aqua Tear, as I promised."

"I knew you would return before too long...and you have done what Muniya has asked of you."
    Quine began. "Yet as angry as I want to be considering you delibrately disobeyed my first request to leave, I cannot be. You have returned that which my powers are drawn from, and for that, I must thank you both."

"Aw, it was nothing!" the mage smiled.

"Furthermore, I must beg yours and Muniya's forgiveness for being so rude before." Quine continued, tears welling up in her eyes. "I was so saddened by the loss of my power, I took my anger and frustration out on you all."

"It's all right, Mistress--for all you have done for me, the least I can do is forgive you when you fail."
    Muniya smiled.

"I'm not one to hold a grudge, so I forgive you too." the hero agreed.

"Wait...Muniya...what did you mean when you said 'for all you have done for me' when you forgave Quine?" the mage asked.

"Some years ago, a couple fleeing their home came to me--why they were fleeing, I do not know, but they entrusted me with the baby girl they carried, as they were too poor to raise a child." Quine explained.

Oh brother--time for the mandatory sob story. Maya groaned. Raye sighed in agreement.

"They asked if they were going to make it to a safe place--but I saw that it was not to be." Quine continued. "Although saddened by their fortune, the couple continued on their journey--and that was the last I saw of them."

Cue Muniya angsting and a flashback... Maya rolled her eyes, unimpressed with the sad story. Every RPG she had played had angsty dramatic scenes like this, it seemed, and this one was not triggering any tears from her.

However, Maya's expected scene did not occur. "And does Muniya know of any of this?" the hero asked.

Tears welled up in Muniya's eyes. "Yes...I know the whole story. But I hold no grudge against Quine--she was only reporting what she could see inside the Tear--what she enjoyed doing. And yet she took me in and raised me as her own daughter; and for that, I am eternally grateful."

"Aww..." Maya replied, a note of sarcasm in her voice.

"Now then--as a reward for your deed of bravery, perhaps you would like your fortune told?" Quine asked, prompting a choice box to appear.

We're not going to get anywhere without a fortune...but at least Quine doesn't take your gold like that fortune teller in Zelda takes Rupees... Maya thought as she selected 'YES'

"Please, sit down." Quine replied, prompting the hero to sit down in the chair across from her. The mage stood nearby. "Now...melody of water, sing to me about what has yet to come!" The Aqua Tear began to glow light blue as it sang Take a melody... before the light blue light suddenly grew brighter, prompting the mage to shield his eyes.

"What do you see?" the hero asked.

Quine hummed in thought for a moment, then replied. "I see a being that looks akin to a jester...breaking the southern checkpoint."

"Peroli!" the mage gasped, but the hero motioned for him to be quiet.

"This being is also responsible for flooding the town, killing Master Adin, and sending the Tear back to the cavern from whence it came." Quine continued.

"Do you know this being's name?" the hero asked. "Can you see that at all?"

"Yes...your friend uttered his name before--Peroli." Quine replied. "But it is not the same Peroli Master Adin trained...no...something evil has consumed him."

If I had to bet anything, that something was the final boss. Maya thought.

"Vul vulpix?" Raye asked, prompting Maya to continue the cutscene.

"That is all I can see concerning your question." Quine replied. "But perhaps if your friend wishes to have his fortune told, let him sit down before me."

The hero obediently got up from the chair and let the mage sit down. "We came to ask Master Adin about Peroli." the mage explained. "but as you have revealed to my master, he was dead long before we arrived. So my first question is, why would Peroli kill the one that taught him?"

The Aqua Tear glowed brightly again, but Quine had a perplexed look on her face. "The Tear has no clear answer for your question...he could be eleminating all that know him, he may have other motives, but I am not sure what the true answer is--you may find that on your journey."

"Okay...what can you tell us about Peroli's current location, or where he is going now?"
    the mage asked.

"Now that, the Tear has something for you to see..." Quine replied. The mage looked into the Tear's light, and saw a familiar black haired girl in cleric's robes with blue and green trim--the same cleric on the game box! "This girl is the high cleric of the village of Kyndale to the south. Peroli has slain her partner, and I see her joining your cause very soon."

"Can you see what her name is?"
    the mage asked, but sighed as the image of the girl disappeared and the Tear returned to normal.

"No--I could not see any more." Quine replied.

So now I know I'll be getting a third party member shortly... Maya smiled.

"I guess we know our next objective." the hero began. "To Kyndale."

"I thank you again from the bottom of my heart."
    Quine replied.

"You are welcome to return when you don't know which way to go on your travels--Mistress should point you in the right direction." Muniya agreed, ending the cutscene and putting Maya back in control.

To Be Continued...

Last edited:

EmeraldSky

Years
  • Episode 8: The Grieving Cleric

After restocking on supplies and guiding the hero out on the main road, she started down the winding path to the southern checkpoint, fighting off red jellies and Loveslugs all the while. Then, she turned south down the checkpoint's road, noting the destroyed bridge on the way down the path. She had barely gotten halfway across when she ran into a Sandshrew with a tiny bow and a mushroom-like being.

More easy peasy enemies... Maya sighed. Evil Shrooms aren't too bad if you don't let them put you to sleep. But she gasped as the Evil Shroom sprayed a pink mist at her party, putting the mage to sleep. Great--the mage is the only one with a permanent Pokeflute, and one use ones are expensive... she grumbled as she selected "Flute of Waking" from the hero's item list.

"Wake up, sweet prince!" the hero commented as he retrieved a small flute-like instrument make of blue crystal and played a short little melody, waking the mage. The Sandshrew archer fired an arrow at the hero, followed by the evil shroom attacking. The mage then knocked both enemies down, defeating them.

"Vul pix." Raye growled at the TV screen as the scene of the hero on the overworld returned.

"That's right, Raye, good riddance." Maya smiled as she grappled with fuzzballs. Once the fuzzballs were defeated, she took a left down another path when she saw a small village in the distance That must be Kyndale... She took a moment to admire the simple stone houses with thatched roofs and a large ornate house dotted around the area, with shops clearly marked with their respective icons.

Just then, two boys surprised the hero and the mage as they walked inside town. "Halt! Who goes there?" one demanded.

"We're--" the hero started.

"Don't waste your breath! I can sense bandits coming a mile away!" the boy bragged.

"But we're not--" the mage started to protest.

"This is for Lord Lucas!" the boy called before motioning to the other boy. "Come on, Jefia, let's get'em!"

"Yessir!" the other boy replied.

"I hope they realize we're stronger than they are..." the hero sighed as he drew his blade.

Just as the scene swirled into battle and the battle music began, it was suddenly cut off by a record scrape as an older female voice interjected "What on earth are you two doing? Stop this at once!"

The scene returned to the two boys whirling around to notice an older woman standing behind them. "Have you forgotten your manners? That's no way to welcome travelers!" she scolded as she whacked the boys on the head, sending them to the ground in a swirly eyed daze.

Annoying brats are unable to battle! Old lady wins! Maya smiled over the shot of the two swirly eyed boys.

"Furthermore, didn't Lady Dawn ask you two to do something for her? This is no time to play!" the woman continued.

"I forgot!" Rubei protested.

"Then you'd better run along before Dawn finds out!" the woman replied.

"Yipe!" Rubei whimpered as he and Jefia hurried away.

The old woman then approached the hero and the mage. "My deepest apologies, both of you--those two don't mean any harm...yet our village has been through a lot as of late. Ask around and you'll see."

"Strange...it looks perfectly fine to me..."
    the mage noted.

The old woman smiled. "There's nothing wrong with this place, mind you...please, make yourselves at home."

"I thank you for your kind offer of hospitality."
    the hero smiled as he sheathed his blade and motioned for the mage to follow him, putting Maya back in control.

That big house must be where the clerics of the village live... Maya thought as she guided down the hero down the path south to the large house, passing some shops and a save point by the inn. Let's go in there!

With that, she breezed past what clerics were milling about on the first floor and wound up the house's ornate staircase and up to the second floor. The cleric nearby began "This village is always led by two high clerics--and with Dawn recently losing her partner, Lucas, I am having to serve with her and the other clerics until a new partner for her can be found."

Ooh, plot point! Maya smiled as she approached a sage clad in an elaborate white robe with gold and silver woven among the blue and green trim. "I am Sage Nikeru, leader of the Order of Hikari, the highest ranking order of clerics in Feras. I came when I heard Lady Dawn's partner Lucas had been called home by the Goddess."

Oh come on--what's wrong with just saying Lucas died? Maya thought.

"How well is Dawn coping?" the mage asked.

"She's taken the loss very hard--she loved Lucas almost like a brother." Nikeru replied. "In fact, she has confined herself to her chamber to grieve, and asked two boys to guard her door. I can only pray that the Goddess wrap her in the comfort only She can give."

The hero gave a respectful bow. "If you can speak to her, tell her she has our deepest sympathy, and that we both are willing to support her in her time of loss." The mage nodded in agreement, ending the cutscene.

Maya suddenly noted Rubei and Jefia guarding a door to a room across the hall. That must be Dawn's room. she thought as she approached the door.

"I'm sorry about before, but that won't be enough to let you in here." Rubei explained. "Lady Dawn explicitly told me not to let anyone inside." Maya sighed as she began exploring the house's other rooms, picking up what items she could find. Yet when she entered the food storehouse, she saw a Rattata skitter across the floor, surprising the hero and the young cleric shuddering atop a chair.

"Eek! Don't scare me like that!" the young cleric gasped. "There's a Rattata in here! I hate Rattatas!"

"Shall I set a trap for you?" the hero offered, seconds before the Rattata ran into a hole in the wall.

"Oh...Lady Dawn's room is on the other side of that wall! I dread to know what would happen if she discovers that Rattata!" the young cleric shuddered.

Geez, it's only a Rattata... Maya sighed as she guided the hero to the hole in the wall and examined it.

This hole is just large enough for a small Pokemon to fit... the game began. Send Pikachu into the hole?

Oh yeah, the mage has a Pikachu! Maya smiled as she selected YES. Let's see what's in this little hole!

"Okay, Pikachu...go see what you can find!" the mage cooed as he set Pikachu on the ground, where he skittered inside the hole.

Once Maya was in control of Pikachu, she guided him down the stairs, through a maze of human feet, up a broomstick, and across a stack of books before she noticed a piece of paper on the dask by the books. This letter seems to have Dawn's writing on it--take it? Maya selected YES, then retraced her path back to the hole.

"Pikachu!" Pikachu smiled as he offered the letter to his master.

"A letter?" The mage was piqued.

"What does it say?" the hero asked.

The mage carefully unfolded the paper and began to read. "To whoever finds this letter...please understand that I am sorry to cause even more strife and suffering on top of that which we have already suffered. I am going to the Diamond Tower in the East to pray over Lucas' remains, and from there, find and punish the fiend that took him from me far too soon. Nikeru, I understand that the village needs me in this time of mourning, but this journey is meant to give me some closure as well. As a High Cleric, I must listen for and obey the will of the Goddess--and I feel She has called me do this. If I have strayed from the path of light, forgive me. And to Rubei and Jefia, I'm sorry for lying to you and beg your forgiveness too. With Her blessings, Dawn."

"Oh my..."
    the hero sighed as the mage folded up the letter. "I hope that her journey is a safe one."

"At any rate, the sage and the other clerics deserve to know what has really happened here."
    the mage added before the game put Maya back in control.

Maya retraced her steps downstairs back to Dawn's chamber. Rubei is adamant about not letting anyone inside...show him Dawn's letter? the game asked.

Cut the shocked reaction in three seconds... Maya thought as she selected "YES".

Sure enough, Rubei got a shocked look on his face as the mage read the letter again. "Funny...how could her Ladyship give you a letter if she's been in her room the whole time?"

"It sounds like the real thing..." Jefia added.

"Okay...I'll check her room...and if she's inside, leave this place and never return!" Rubei challenged.

"Deal." the hero smiled. He watched as Rubei gingerly opened the door and peeked inside.

A few seconds later, Rubei sputtered "Wha...she IS gone!" He raced back to the mage and the hero. "Lemme see that letter!" The mage handed the paper to Rubei, who studied it for a moment. "This is definitely Lady Dawn's writing...but if she really did go to the tower to pray, she might end up like Lord Lucas! This is bad...the tower's overrun by monsters now, and we have to do something!"

"If it makes you feel any better, would you ask Nikeru to open the way to the Tower?"
    the hero offered.

Rubei thought for a moment. "Okay...I'll ask the sage to open the tower door, but I hope you know what you're doing."

"Relax, I'm a professional." the hero smiled, ending the cutscene.

So next stop: save our third party member! Maya smiled as she made her way outside and back to the overworld, where she guided the hero down the left fork from the village.

To Be Continued....

Last edited:

Clouddyl

Playing battle tower doubles!
    Years
  • I love this story :D

Don't let the lack of feedback put you off, its really good^^

I would post somthing more helpful, but it's really to say I like it :S

Back