• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Roleplay Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grif of Hearts

Que sera sera~
Years
Back to Grif's RP - If you call it Pokemon Unchained I may be forced to join haha, funny that you actually were watching Django though >:O
I think you'll be making the right decision going with the higher rating and I must say I love your premise for the journey. You should do a sketch of a region map using Texas as a base (like how Kanto through Sinnoh were made from parts of Japan).

Thank ye' kindly.

I had intended on creating a map for the region, yes. Because the regions in Pokémon are much smaller than Texas is, I might split up it up into a few separate areas and the roleplay would be set in one, or possibly two. Or I could simply scale down the area of Texas to make it fit.

Before I attempt to make one on Inkscape, there doesn't happen to be a program y'all use for creating game-quality maps for Pokémon regions, does there? It might be of some use to me.

OR AUSTRALIA just to annoy Sweet_Dreams because of deserts and whatnot.

I had forgotten that Australia in the 1800s had a similar society structure to the wild west. It's an interesting idea, but I think I'm more likely to go with the Americas. The generation V Pokédex gave us a general idea of what the wildlife in the game's version of North America is like, so it's giving me a bit of a head start.

@Grif of Hearts - Dear God name it Pokemon Unchained. I like the idea already, the setting and the story create for a unique yet realistic mesh between Reality and Pokemon, and that's already got me interested.

Going with that name is now incredibly likely... Even though the name "Django Unchained" refers to the fact that he has been freed from slavery and this roleplay will not focus on the idea of enslavement... Then again, rule of cool always beats logic, does it not?

And thanks. The idea appealed to me almost instantly, so it got some priority over other roleplay ideas.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Has anyone considered a game of thrones RP ( or possibly a pokémon crossover :o)?

Could work really well if it were to happen in a parallel world, or perhaps during the time of dragons. Characters could be split between the four main houses, lots of interaction, some combat, etc. The way there are so many stories going on in the book/TV series complements RP really well.

:o

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Has anyone considered a game of thrones RP ( or possibly a pokémon crossover :o)?

Could work really well if it were to happen in a parallel world, or perhaps during the time of dragons. Characters could be split between the four main houses, lots of interaction, some combat, etc. The way there are so many stories going on in the book/TV series complements RP really well.

:o

I think much of Aerion is based on Game of Thrones, albeit in a different world. Mostly the theme and feeling is meant to be the same. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though, Aerion players/makers.

Grif of Hearts

Que sera sera~
Years
I've been debating as to whether or not there should be a basic leveling system for the Pokémon. Obviously, Pokémon would grow stronger by leveling up and would only be able to evolve or learn certain moves once they reach the appropriate level, just as it is in the game.

I've seen it used in a few other roleplays here, and I think it's a good way to make sure people don't have outlandishly powerful moves from the start or evolve their Dratini into a Dragonite in the space of three posts.

How would everyone interested respond to this if I used it?

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
Years
I've been debating as to whether or not there should be a basic leveling system for the Pokémon. Obviously, Pokémon would grow stronger by leveling up and would only be able to evolve or learn certain moves once they reach the appropriate level, just as it is in the game.

I've seen it used in a few other roleplays here, and I think it's a good way to make sure people don't have outlandishly powerful moves from the start or evolve their Dratini into a Dragonite in the space of three posts.

How would everyone interested respond to this if I used it?

Well, from the sound of it you wish to take on a more realistic approach to the pokemon themselves? That's quite awesome, actually. I've been wanting to do that, and plan to whenever I get around to writing a fanfiction. So, in my opinion, I think it would be cool to see something along the lines of the pokemon growing naturally, rather than spontaneously evolving. Charmander could start to grow larger, small wing stubs forming on his back. Magikarp could begin to elongate, its scales turning blue (or remaining red, for a proper explanation of a "shiny") as it progresses into Gyaradoes. Dratini would grow longer, and eventually its scales would become gold and it would slowly sprout wings. Obviously some transformations would take longer than others, but that's often times reflected by high levels required for pokemon evolution.

Thoughts on that idea?

Also, @Shawn & Rika - Fine then, we shall! LET'S DO EET! xD

And, guys, off-topic: in the past three days, my nieces and I started watching Glee and have already progressed to episode forty. ERMERGERD, I'VE BECOME A GLEEK AND IT'S TORTURE. The show is surprisingly good, and I enjoy the actors. Three of which were on the show Heroes, and one of which was one of my favorites from Heroes, so that's cool. ;3

Grif of Hearts

Que sera sera~
Years
Well, from the sound of it you wish to take on a more realistic approach to the pokemon themselves? That's quite awesome, actually. I've been wanting to do that, and plan to whenever I get around to writing a fanfiction. So, in my opinion, I think it would be cool to see something along the lines of the pokemon growing naturally, rather than spontaneously evolving. Charmander could start to grow larger, small wing stubs forming on his back. Magikarp could begin to elongate, its scales turning blue (or remaining red, for a proper explanation of a "shiny") as it progresses into Gyaradoes. Dratini would grow longer, and eventually its scales would become gold and it would slowly sprout wings. Obviously some transformations would take longer than others, but that's often times reflected by high levels required for pokemon evolution.

That wasn't really what I was going for as far as realism is concerned. It's an interesting idea, and I had pondered the idea for a previous setting, but I think for the sake of keeping with what he know about Pokémon that evolution would still take place.

I just wanted to know if people would prefer a leveling system stripped straight out of the game or if they'd prefer to have their Pokémon learn these new skills and eventually evolve whenever the roleplayers felt it was necessary.

Nakuzami

Years
Haha, I know, I just thought it would be cool. ^-^;

Well, to go by the realistic aspect of it, I think the latter would function better. It would feel too mechanical to have a solid leveling system in place, if you get what I mean?

Lt. Col. Fantastic

The Arianator
Years
Personally I think a more natural feel is better for leveling. Like the thing where they learn moves and evolve over time and when roleplayers feel neccesary. Set in stone levels, moves, and evoution is both boring and hard to keep up with. (like exp and such, aint nobody got time for that)

but yeah, thats my input for the week. ill pop back in here sometime in june

EDIT: if you include native american type characters then hell yes im interested

Grif of Hearts

Que sera sera~
Years
Well, to go by the realistic aspect of it, I think the latter would function better. It would feel too mechanical to have a solid leveling system in place, if you get what I mean?

Personally I think a more natural feel is better for leveling. Like the thing where they learn moves and evolve over time and when roleplayers feel neccesary. Set in stone levels, moves, and evoution is both boring and hard to keep up with. (like exp and such, aint nobody got time for that)

I understand where you're both coming from. I'm just going from past experience with these kinds of roleplays. One roleplay I had previously been in on this website, called "A new Professor in town" I believe, was an incredibly long running roleplay that I jumped into near its final days. It used a leveling system akin to the games, with the person running the roleplay granting the player's Pokémon a level up when they felt that they had earned it. I had always thought it was rather effective, and it encouraged me to work towards something rather than just granting my Pokémon some additional power whenever I felt in the mood.

Then on another hand we have an old one I ran with Ray Maverick a few years ago. It just seemed like as soon as we announced that the players were free to explore the immediate area outside of the championship that everyone caught two dozen Pokémon, taught their current Pokémon an entirely new moveset and evolved every one they had. It just seemed a bit unrealistic, even for Pokémon's standards.

As I said, it depends on which method is more popular, not my personal preferences. I just have to hope that in the case of the latter that everyone is sensible.

EDIT: if you include native american type characters then hell yes im interested

I think they'd be less likely to join the convoy, but I really don't see why there couldn't be someone playing a native American. I had certainly intended on them being involved in some way.

Nakuzami

Years
I understand where you're both coming from. I'm just going from past experience with these kinds of roleplays. One roleplay I had previously been in on this website, called "A new Professor in town" I believe, was an incredibly long running roleplay that I jumped into near its final days. It used a leveling system akin to the games, with the person running the roleplay granting the player's Pokémon a level up when they felt that they had earned it. I had always thought it was rather effective, and it encouraged me to work towards something rather than just granting my Pokémon some additional power whenever I felt in the mood.

Then on another hand we have an old one I ran with Ray Maverick a few years ago. It just seemed like as soon as we announced that the players were free to explore the immediate area outside of the championship that everyone caught two dozen Pokémon, taught their current Pokémon an entirely new moveset and evolved every one they had. It just seemed a bit unrealistic, even for Pokémon's standards.

As I said, it depends on which method is more popular, not my personal preferences. I just have to hope that in the case of the latter that everyone is sensible.

Good ol' slls81. d:
Yes, I was in that roleplay as well, so I know exactly what you mean. I've been in a few roleplays with a similar leveling system since then, and I myself have even utilized the method in a few of my own. But, from experience, I think the more natural approach is preferred. Often times the roleplayers here can be trusted to be sensible with such things, and if they happen to take an angle that seems slightly unrealistic, I believe it's perfectly acceptable to address that and ask them to fix it.

On the other hand, I myself did such things in my early days of roleplaying. Well, mainly catching a plethora of pokemon, and I even did that in A New Professor in Town. I don't think I ever really leveled my pokemon too quickly or made them overpowered, but I can understand the appeal if you're not as experienced with the setting. In such a case, you just need to ask for the roleplayers to abide by certain guidelines. I think it's entirely reasonable to do so.

Lt. Col. Fantastic

The Arianator
Years
Well yeah, you cant really let people go rampant with the leveling up and moves and such.

I think a system where they would have to get the gm's permission to learn skills and evolve would work best, so the gm would still have control over the...exp flow as well as allow the roleplayers to have a more natural, freeform experience. (like i guess what im saying is you still are in charge but without having specific numbers.)

Sweet Dreams

[I]are made of these~[/I]
Years
I think that the natural way vs the systematic way are suitable for different kinds of RPs. It depends on what you want to focus on, really. If you let your RPers level up and evolve, etc, naturally (with some regulation) then there would be more of a focus on character interaction and plot, as opposed to the level grinding you might get otherwise.

Personally I get bored easily if I'm forced to grind in-RP to keep up with everyone else. I do that enough in the games. I RP for the people and plot. ^^

OR AUSTRALIA just to annoy Sweet_Dreams because of deserts and whatnot.

We will be having words, Rika! *shakes fist*

Reactions: SV
Years
Yes yes and more yes to the Pokemon western. I call dibs on the Gene Autry of the game. :D

I think a system where they would have to get the gm's permission to learn skills and evolve would work best, so the gm would still have control over the...exp flow as well as allow the roleplayers to have a more natural, freeform experience. (like i guess what im saying is you still are in charge but without having specific numbers.)

I agree with this. From past experience I found that it's best to allow players to not have to worry about levels to create a more natural flow than to have everyone need to consider what level their opponent is. It also negates the need to level grind in a roleplay. Here's an example. :P

Grif of Hearts

Que sera sera~
Years
I'd make sure y'all wouldn't have to grind for anything if we did ever go with that sort of thing. I just thought it'd be a good idea to keep everything stable as far as power levels go, but if the general consensus is not to add it in then I'll just have to trust y'all with it. c:

Karma Police

Arrest this man
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
Damn, when I had joined PC I had actually thought of making a Western Pokemon RP along with -Nocturnal... I had some basic outline worked out but it never really materialized.

The only difference was that mine was overly complicated. It had everything ranging from a notoriety level to a fame system to a presidency system, bounty system, and a different class system.

It basically gave players the option to be bounty hunters, thieves, w/e they wanted to be and tied it to the reward system for missions and a fame or notoriety level based on the actions of the player, and it even had an option of players becoming potential presidency candidates and fight a sort of election to become a president of Wild Unova.

It also had a grand train heist taking place. But like it can be seen in this post, it was way too complicated with too many systems and really messy, so I had dropped the idea at least for the time being.

It took place in an alternate timeline which charted the rise of democracy and the Train system in Unova set during the time of cowboys and aliens

YellowGardevoir

"Intend to? I already have."
Years
  • Seen Jul 26, 2015
So what do you guys think of a Fire Emblem RP? I was thinking a Pokemon X Fire Emblem crossover, or perhaps a sequel to Awakening(tentatively named Fire Emblem: Re-Awakening.) I've got a pretty good idea for a story, but I was wondering if anyone would even look at it.

SV

See You Space Cowboy
Years
  • Seen Feb 7, 2022
So what do you guys think of a Fire Emblem RP? I was thinking a Pokemon X Fire Emblem crossover, or perhaps a sequel to Awakening(tentatively named Fire Emblem: Re-Awakening.) I've got a pretty good idea for a story, but I was wondering if anyone would even look at it.

I'm interested in a Fire Emblem RP. But Pokemon X Fire Emblem crossover not so much. What's the story?

YellowGardevoir

"Intend to? I already have."
Years
  • Seen Jul 26, 2015
I'm interested in a Fire Emblem RP. But Pokemon X Fire Emblem crossover not so much. What's the story?

Yah,I don't like the crossover that much either, I was just throwing that out there. As for story, basically in Awakening, Chrom doesn't let Robin kill Grima, instead electing to use the Exalted Falchion to put Grima to sleep. Long story short, 400 years later, the Grimleal find a way to wake Grima back up, so Chrom's descendant, wielding the Falchion, has to stop it. Obviously with more filler/plot.

SV

See You Space Cowboy
Years
  • Seen Feb 7, 2022
Yah,I don't like the crossover that much either, I was just throwing that out there. As for story, basically in Awakening, Chrom doesn't let Robin kill Grima, instead electing to use the Exalted Falchion to put Grima to sleep. Long story short, 400 years later, the Grimleal find a way to wake Grima back up, so Chrom's descendant, wielding the Falchion, has to stop it. Obviously with more filler/plot.

I haven't played the new FE yet, but I think I'd still probably be interested in signing up regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back