• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Roleplay Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 31
  • AU
  • Seen Feb 18, 2023
oops i kind of disappeared for a few days then. how about a new topic?

how do you get into character?

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
Just read what was written and think "What would Ginny do?" -- that generally works quite well.

Sapphire Rose

[I]Only thorns left on this rose.[/I]
Years
How do you get into character?

Depends. I have one character that is based on myself, I just write down what I would do if I was in her situation. My other characters usually have a very fun personality which makes it easy for me to get into them.

Years

Most of my characters are either the more serious type or contain various other elements of my own personality so it tends to be quite easy for me to get into character. I have more difficulty when I RP as character who are nothing like me at all - like the ridiculously outgoing ones and all that - so I tend to look to other people I know or characters for inspiration and then put my own spin on things.

Sephear

Believe in the you that believes in cheese
Years

Well I must admit I am not as creative and "Out there" as some of the other roleplayers out here, and I respect them for it, but most of my characters contain enough me to go off of. But even with the ones that are different enough I just think of what kind of character I claimed they were and think of what I was imagining when I first created them if I'm having trouble, and it flows from there.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
Questions for you guys:

1. What kind of role generally entices you in an RP?
2. You want to have the option of being a good or bad guy, or is that situational with the RP you're applying for?
3. Do you think you should be equals with your fellow players IC, or superior and inferior roles are needed?
4. And if there was this kind hierarchy, would you be able to handle superior roles?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Hmmm. I often go back and re-read my own SUs before I make a post, to make sure that I stay true to the character I envisioned while writing said SU. Then I try to get that overall feeling and theme that my character is meant to have, and I let them do what they are most likely to do in the given situation. Sometimes I of course steer a bit since I want certain things to happen - I don't leave it all up to the character's natural whims. Rather, I try to make what I want to happen, happen, but in a way that feels fitting for my character.

Generally a happy, energetic and maybe nervous kind of person. If you mean what kind of role I enjoy playing. Then I vary that basic set with different family bonds and interests.

2. You want to have the option of being a good or bad guy, or is that situational with the RP you're applying for?
Um, I really suck at playing bad guys. Mostly because I don't like when people are being mean towards my characters and it's supposedly okay to be mean towards bad guys xD

3. Do you think you should be equals with your fellow players IC, or superior and inferior roles are needed?
Equals is good, so that everyone can feel like they are participating in an equally important way. But the GM(s) can have superior roles, that's of course okay. To move or control the story or create a believable situation for the other players.

4. And if there was this kind hierarchy, would you be able to handle superior roles?
Depends on the RP. Most often not :p Because I tend to not be overly detailed or realistic with a lot of things and in the past people have made their characters point out flaws for my characters that I didn't mean for them to have and I kind of hate that :p I prefer to play a lower rank or what to say.

Sephear

Believe in the you that believes in cheese
Years
Hard to say, a lot of things do but mostly I suppose being a protagonist of a story alongside other people.
I think it's very interesting when some of the Roleplayer's in a story are on different sides of a conflict, and makes the story as a whole much more complex.
I believe it depends on the story and the world you're in, I don't feel bad about someone "outranking" me if you will, as long as they seem to deserve it.
Good question...I like to think I could because I'm pretty smart and I am usually considerate of other's feelings, haven't had anyone complain about be although I don't garner specific praise. Maybe one day I'll test it.

SylveonStar

Sylveon
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 15, 2017
I'm back from camping but will not be posting until tomorrow. I got into a car wreck last night, no one was hurt but I am still very shaken. If just one thing had happened differently I could have been seriously injured or worse. I'm just out of sorts today.

YellowGardevoir

"Intend to? I already have."
Years
  • Seen Jul 26, 2015
Spots are available in Fire Emblem: Re-Awakening! If you are interested, post in the OC thread or send me a message!

Geras

Roleplayer
Years
@Ray Maverick:
None in specific, rather the fact that an RP has a large variety of roles is what entices me. I like to have the freedom to choose to make many different types of characters.

As I said, I like having a choice. Bad guys can be loads of fun to play if done right.

That's something I think is situational. In some RPs it can help add depth to the roleplaying and make for some interesting situations, but in others it can sow discord and cause conflict between RPers.

I should be able to adapt.

@Genevieve: Well, as long as you're safe. I hope the camping was fun at least.

<Challenger>

Goodbye PC...for now.
Years
I like all kinds of characters, from the goofy comic relief to the bad-a** villain. There is no favorite for me, although I tend to do better with awkward characters.

I think it depends for me. In JNathan's, Naruto: A New World, I signed up for the villain characters because I friggin' love the Akatsuki, specifically Itachi. In some roleplays, like my own Tenkaichi, I like playing the heroes because I can use the Spirit Bomb and Kamehameha.

I think that, if necessary, there should be ranks.

Well, it depends on if I could motivate myself. I'm very, VERY lazy, but I'm intelligent. I'm pretty bad with decisions, though. I'm always trying to please other people instead of the right decision.

Years
I just want to apologize to all those in my RPs and all those who I am RPing with in general for my lack of activity lately. These last few weeks I've been running rather dry on creativity but I'm still around and I certainly haven't abandoned my GMing responsibilities.

Chalifoux

:: Certified Granblue Fantasy Nerd ::
Years
I try to do as many different characters as I can, playing them as realistically as possible, but I'm somewhat drawn towards the awkward ones... it comes so easy to me to make comic scenarios with them :p

I suppose it would depend, and even then, I'm not particularly intrigued by the idea of playing an evil mister bad guy. I suppose I can go with anti-heroe or just somewhat who seems evil but is actually a tiny ball of fur (see: Alaric).

Other than the GMs level rank thingy, there are no reasons for a Roleplayer to be in a higher rank than another, I think :3

I consider myself as a nerdy nerd who sticks his face inside books and computers 24/7, but I get stressed with ease, and am also somewhat lazy, put these things together and you'll see why I should never be assigned an important role :]​

Also, I'm back, sort of~
Trying to push slowly thru that LoA of mine since I've sorted some stuff out already, and am just trying to solve some scholarship-related stuff now :3

Years
  • Age 31
  • AU
  • Seen Feb 18, 2023
Questions for you guys:

1. Well, anything really, though specifically, I kind of prefer the dumb kid who doesn't really know whats going on but tags along anyway.

2. I don't mind. If there is a good and bad guy situation, I prefer to be good because being a bad guy hurts me on the inside sometimes ";( though lately, my character Imogen in Atlantis has been real fun to play!

3. I guess it depends on the RP. I believe the GM should always be in a position of superiority so that they can control the story. There are some instances where players assume superiority and really should learn where they stand, I spose... but whatever the GM prefers.

4. I'd like to think so ;)

And whoa hey Swifty what DO I CALL YOU NOW?!??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back