• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Roleplay Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

<Challenger>

Goodbye PC...for now.
Years
  • I would be interested in a Fire Emblem rp.

As a side note, I feel like creating my own RP, now that I'm back. I'm only limiting myself to five roleplays now, and I want my fifth one to be one of my own. Would anybody be interested in a Halo RP, from a squad of ODST's point of view, or maybe regular marines, maybe Spartan 4's?

Years
  • So I'm starting to write up one of the most low-maintenance RP's I think I've ever thought of and want to know if there's any interest before I finalize it.

The RP in question is a Pokemon Stadium spin off where there is essentially no plot and, like the N64 game, just focuses on Pokemon battles between players. The idea is to have it so people new to Pokemon RP's can get a feel for battling through text rather than statistics and such as well as allow characters from other RPs who would otherwise never meet have the chance to interact with each other and battle on various fields.

One thing I do want to have is the option for people to participate in Gym battles and face the E4 of all Gens. My plan is to have a revolving cast(maybe 10+) of RPers(You guys) take turns being Gym Leaders against each other, but the main attraction is intended to be the PC battles.

The only thing stopping me from fully going through with this are these three questions; Is there enough interest in this type of passive RP? Is anyone actually willing to be apart of the Gym Leader roster? and finally, since the RP section has a plot requirement, which this RP would be lacking because the main appeal is to focus on battling, would the mods be lenient on that rule since one of the main motivations behind even thinking of the RP is to be a place for newer RPers to basically get a feel for typing out Pokemon battles?

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Well if the focus is on battles, I'd just recommend creating a generic or sub-generic setup for the RP. It shouldn't be that hard. After all, if you don't do that, you'd just be plopped into a blank realm with infinite freedom and no direction other than to battle.

I'm interested, as battles have always been something I've had an interest in but rarely get into. They're fun to write, though, and can get really exciting with good writing.

Years
  • If you want to do something like that I do have an idea on how you could pull it off.

Set in a modernised/industrialised setting where pokemon battles are conducted in the same manor as organised sports today. Where trainers can compete in various leagues and tournaments across the region at will as a "professional trainer". To give room for development you can just have them begin as noobs to the scene with only a starter or a team of three or something. That could cover for your plot issue to a degree and give you more of a premise.

I'd be open to being one of your gym leaders or equivalents if I had the time but I don't really like the idea of playing an existing character that much.

Grif of Hearts

Que sera sera~
    Years
  • I would also be willing to take part as a gym leader or a member of the Elite Four, if you'll have me. It's been a little while since I've done much in the way of Pokémon roleplaying, but I'm sure my knowledge of battling hasn't slipped that much. ^_^

I'd be open to being one of your gym leaders or equivalents if I had the time but I don't really like the idea of playing an existing character that much.

He never specified that they were existing characters. It might be a case where we create brand new gym leaders/Elite Four members. I think that would be fun, allowing us to create a brand new Pokémon league. There has yet to be a normal type Elite Four member, and by Arceus I want one!

Sweet Dreams

[I]are made of these~[/I]
    Years
  • Hmm. I actually quite like the idea of a newbie-oriented battle RP. It would be a good experience for newcomers to learn how to write an engaging battle without giving into the temptation of godmodding or bunnying. But if you are directing this towards newbies, how do you plan to "encourage" them to follow these rules and learn how to lose? Or limit the battle length?

It might get really messy if you have a lot of people in unrelated battles in the same thread? Unless you go with the tournament idea gimmiepie had, but then it could take ages for some RPers to get to actually battle.

So how would the RP work in a technical sense?

ナギ

P r e p a r e .
    Years
  • even though i would actually qualify as a 'newbie' in this case, would you consider me as a possible gym leader for the battle RP too? perhaps as (one of) the first in line, so trainers can see the level of battle prowess going up as they move on in the league, and at the same time i could get a good taste of when i should accept defeat. i think that especially is one of my flaws; tending to overestimate my Pokémon's stamina, and perhaps drawing out battles too long to make them 'impressive'...
    but if the entire league is filled up with (capable) leaders and E4 already, i'd of course just participate as a challenger. but still!

... it's also a little intimidating though, to do battle with much more experienced RP'ers. i'd start feeling like i'm doing something wrong easily. {XD} but for my and all the other newbies' sakes, i really hope you go through with it.

Years
  • In regards to all the plot suggestions, this is the problem I'm having. The RP I have in mind would be akin to Instant Action on most video games. Player X challenges Player Y, they duke it out, and that's about it...just like in Pokemon Stadium. Just picture Pokemon Stadium except without the N64. The intent is to have it be low commitment for new comers so they can get a hold of the concepts and take the lessons learned into other RPs.

Also, when I made the notion of using already existing characters from other RPs on the forum, I meant to mention that it would be optional, and more for everyone to use as a 'What if' situation and players can RP as Random Mook #837 in place of an actual character if so desired.

The Gym Leader challenge I'm not 100% sure on how I'd like to see it come in regards to the actual gym leaders themselves, but allowing the revolving Gym Leader cast to create their own sounds interesting. The idea I first thought up was that, for example, if a person was facing their first gym on the totem pole, any member of the revolving cast who is up for the battle can volunteer and state which out of any gym leader from the five generations they wish to be and then RP accordingly. Leniency on skill would be up to the RPer in question, but I don't think I should have to make a rule about Brock not being nigh impossible to defeat. But with either system, the premise of fighting 15 battles would be the same in execution.

But if you are directing this towards newbies, how do you plan to "encourage" them to follow these rules and learn how to lose? Or limit the battle length?

Micro-chip implants to the skull. It's pretty simple. By having them practice with a friendly community of RPers that will offer advise and their own personal Trainer Tips, which is the sole reason for the RP. Studies have proven the fact that learning via a hands-on approach is the best way to learn and completely outclasses reading how or being shown how.

You can read how to change the brakes in your car, and I can show you the steps to do so, but you won't have a full understanding of it until you try to do it yourself. And you won't be the best on you first shot, but you improve the more you work at it.

It might get really messy if you have a lot of people in unrelated battles in the same thread? Unless you go with the tournament idea gimmiepie had, but then it could take ages for some RPers to get to actually battle.

I've already thought of the solution to that. Every arena would have an assigned letter, and every battle that takes place will have a number. So let's say the water arena is letter G and we're both participating in the 42nd battle, our battle would be designated G042. A rule would state that each post of a battle must have the designation within it so players can distinguish between them. (also will allow players to use CTRL+F)

even though i would actually qualify as a 'newbie' in this case, would you consider me as a possible gym leader for the battle RP too? perhaps as (one of) the first in line, so trainers can see the level of battle prowess going up as they move on in the league, and at the same time i could get a good taste of when i should accept defeat.

I'd be glad to have you on board, as well as the others who have currently showed interest, even with your modest modesty. :P But like I mentioned earlier in this post, it will be a revolving cast, so you won't always be the first Gym Leader, but if you were in the roster and preferred to be fairly early on I'm sure your peers would respect that decision....most of the time. You'll have to get out of that shell at some point.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024

✜ If a PLAYER is slain, the KISS has to be given to the corpse and the DREAMSELF will come alive.

✜ If a DREAMSELF is slain, the PLAYER will nevermore dream on the MOONS.

✜ If a PLAYER with a dead DREAMSELF is slain, the player enters the AFTERLIFE.

CHECKMATE
    : r...e...d...u...x

I am here to advertise the RP Checkmate. We have two spots open, if you feel like you can catch up and write the two important opening and entrance posts pretty soon. The opening post can be as detailed or brief as you want to make it, but the entrance post should have all the steps included in the posts you can read in the IC thread. It's pretty important ;)

The open spots are for one Knight and one Mage. Lots of plot and shenanigans will be thrown at you in this RP, so if you are ready for strangeness, join!

KNIGHT - focuses on attacking and offense, being rather straightforward about things. Simply put, bonus for attacking. The offensive class.

MAGE - focuses on altering things and bringing about changes, both literally and metaphorically. Gains bonus for using their aspect (magic). The dramatic class.

ナギ

P r e p a r e .
    Years
  • But like I mentioned earlier in this post, it will be a revolving cast, so you won't always be the first Gym Leader, but if you were in the roster and preferred to be fairly early on I'm sure your peers would respect that decision....most of the time. You'll have to get out of that shell at some point.

... oh, derp. i must've misunderstood somewhere along the way. i thought you meant RP'ers could play two roles; one deginated Gym Leader/Elite Four spot and one Challenger, the latter of which would be used to battle the other Leaders.
    but um, yes. revolving. that works too! {XD}

the coded battle system sounds good to me, and i fully agree that learning something like this hands-on is by far the best way. i'd still suggest to show one 'example battle' between experienced Trainers before having all the newbies jump in, though. but either way, i'll be a part of this!

Crunch Punch

fire > ice
    Years
  • I would love to be a gym leader, sounds like an excellent idea. Count me in if there's like some kind of reservation list or something haha

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    We're running out of spaces pretty fast over at Game of Pokémon. If you're thinking about joining it might be a good idea to reserve a space and start working on your application!

HelloAsha

Spoiler Alert!
    Years
  • ORegan, I like your idea for the Pokemon Stadium RP. I totally agree with you about learning via. the hands on approach, that couldn't be more true.

I still think an all battle RP lacks a much needed plot. Even if it's all about battling, learning how to conduct a battle, and improving your writing style all at the same time. I can't imagine sending my character there for no reason.

Between battles what will the characters do? Why are they all there? What are they competing for? Are battles happening day & night?

Major questions that should be answered before I'd consider signing up for an RP like this. At the same time I do love the idea, I'd just like to see it more refined.

Xilfer

Just won't die.
    Years
  • Hey! Guess what?

2_zps6256de44.png

The great Pokemon Oblivion saga is starting soon. Grab a spot for a wild ride that spans across worlds!

pokemongarnet

CAT-BUS!
    Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2016
    I don't know if anyone has ever tried one, but I have an outline for one that's been sitting in my PM box for a while. xD

It's certainly a fun concept to explore, no doubt. What would be your ideas for one?

I actually don't have any ideas at the moment, but it's such a fun and easy concept to mess around with. There are tons of possibilities.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back