• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: ROM Hacking Daily Chit Chat

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
No it wouldn't be. I don't call my spoon, "Spoon" or my fork "Fork". They're both tools and names of items, just like repel. For you second point, that's not true at all. My first hack was Shiny Gold, it was also one of my first Pokemon games (after Red).

Chances are, if you're playing a hack, you've played Pokemon before. Of course there are exceptions, but I can guarantee for a fact that that is mostly true. Item names have their first letter capitalized as far as I know, at least since BW.

Blah

Free supporter
Years
Item names have their first letter capitalized as far as I know, at least since BW.

Oh, so they went from capitalizing the whole word into the whole letter. That doesn't change that it's grammatically the same problem. You see, even in current games, they're making sections for new users.

Also, when I need a beta test, I get my sister to play it (and she hasn't played Pokemon before).

Anyways, if you like decap it's understandable and fine. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with decapped hacks, I'm saying there's nothing wrong with "capped' hacks.

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
Oh, so they went from capitalizing the whole word into the whole letter. That doesn't change that it's grammatically the same problem. You see, even in current games, they're making sections for new users.

Also, when I need a beta test, I get my sister to play it (and she hasn't played Pokemon before).

Anyways, if you like decap it's understandable and fine. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with decapped hacks, I'm saying there's nothing wrong with "capped' hacks.

I wish my brother would beta test my hack </3

But okay, fair enough :D

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2020
Chances are, if you're playing a hack, you've played Pokemon before. Of course there are exceptions, but I can guarantee for a fact that that is mostly true. Item names have their first letter capitalized as far as I know, at least since BW.

In DPPt Gamefreak decapitalised everything except pokémon names, and then in Gen 5 they did that too. I'd much rather decapitalised hacks, even though leaving everything capitalised as in Gen 3 games wouldn't put me off playing a hack, but decapitalised just looks nicer, and more official. Plus it's really easy to do it these days.

OirlYx1.gif

Yeah, the best tester this world has to offer. Me :D

Sometimes it helps to have other people test things for you. They might spot minor errors you wouldn't notice, even if you did test things properly yourself. Though it's different you're the best beta tester in the world. :)

Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016
Obviously someone needs to make a CAPITALIZED patch.

I'm not really concerned whether its Decapped or untouched.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
I don't see anything wrong with capitalising of decapping. CAPS has a purpose after all, I just prefer to use colour to signify important words.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
CAPS has a purpose after all, I just prefer to use colour to signify important words.
I'm the same way. I feel that colored text does a good deal for game feel. When a word is colored differently from the rest of the sentence, not only does it stand out, but it also impacts the players senses. It tells them, "This is important, pay attention to this," and if the dispersion of colors is done well through different categories and terminologies, it can do a lot for the experience. Caps are one thing, but a player will feel more as if they've been awarded if they, say, get an item with the item's name being green (which can be used to great effect when combined with "item get" sound effects). They'll feel a greater sense of purpose when a person's name is written in red.

It's an intuitive thing, really. Caps are everywhere, but colors paint the words with meaning.

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2020
I agree that colours are good on important words, and even better when they're directions. I really liked what rijonAdventures did, all directions and places you'd have to go next to would be highlighted in green in the dialogue, which is something Pokémon never had, I think?

gMmfIHd.png

I also like coloured item names when the player receives them, but I wouldn't like any items/places to have different colours in the dialogue unless they're important.

Years
I don't see anything wrong with capitalising of decapping. CAPS has a purpose after all, I just prefer to use colour to signify important words.
I'm basically this way as well, the only thing that really annoys me is inconsistency, not only with capitalisation but with spelling and so on too. When hacks write "Pokeball" in dialogue, and then you receive "POKé BALLS", it's really jarring to me and just seems sloppy honestly.

I agree that colours are good on important words, and even better when they're directions. I really liked what rijonAdventures did, all directions and places you'd have to go next to would be highlighted in green in the dialogue, which is something Pokémon never had, I think?

gMmfIHd.png

I also like coloured item names when the player receives them, but I wouldn't like any items/places to have different colours in the dialogue unless they're important.

I love this style of Zelda-esque highlighting too, and try to use it in my hacks too.

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
I'd like to ask everyone to do themselves a huge favor and replace all CA E3 DF D9 E1 E3 E2 with CA E3 DF 1B E1 E3 E2. Replaces all instances of "Pokemon" with "Pokémon"

;)

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
I'd like to ask everyone to do themselves a huge favor and replace all CA E3 DF D9 E1 E3 E2 with CA E3 DF 1B E1 E3 E2. Replaces all instances of "Pokemon" with "Pokémon"

;)
See, and I know the lack of "é" bothers some people, but that's one thing that I'll probably never care about. I just can't bring myself to. Probably because it's said the same way regardless, and I don't really care for the extra trouble that is looking up and inputting Alt-commands.

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2020
It just bothers me when I see "Pokemon" in hacks' dialogue. I know it's not a big issue but it just looks wrong and as Dark Sneasel said you can just write "Pokemon" and then it's just a simple find and replace in a hex editor before you release your hack in public.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
See, but that's the thing, it doesn't really look wrong to me. Honestly, I didn't even realize it until it was brought up in this thread. It does make the word stand out more, I'll say that much, but I can't see it as being damning or even detrimental for a public release to forego it.

Back