• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: ROM Hacking Daily Chit Chat

Imafroggy

King
Years
  • I don't think this has been done before, but I'm not very good with ASM, and my scripting skills aren't top notch like your guys skills! :)

I don't know why it occurred to me but I don't think any hack has done this either. It's a small little detail but it sounds like a lot of fun!

Wouldn't it be cool to have like a "TV show" type of thing when you talk to the television. Sort of like the Teachy TV only with regular shows. Maybe 4-7 little skits of shows. The shows could maybe change during the day or something... I don't know. Just a thought :)

Trainer 781

Pokemon Altair/Sirius, the prequels of Pokemon Vega have been completely translated to English before October 2014. Anyone aware of this?

Just downloaded the translated patch yesterday.

Izarinoi:Akira

Master of Iron
    Years
    • Seen Feb 10, 2015
    What's keeping Pokémon ROM hacks in the third generation on the GBA platform? I don't see many DS hacks of Diamond/Pearl/Platinum or HeartGold/SoulSilver or Black (2) and White (2); what's difficult about DS hacking?

Xela

Do you believe in yourself?
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2024
    What's keeping Pokémon ROM hacks in the third generation on the GBA platform? I don't see many DS hacks of Diamond/Pearl/Platinum or HeartGold/SoulSilver or Black (2) and White (2); what's difficult about DS hacking?

I believe it's mainly because there isn't enough research done on it and there isn't much to go off on. Meanwhile for the 3rd generation games we've progressed too far to move away from it and there's a lot more you can do there than we can currently do with 4th gen and above hacking. Not to mention that we're not done researching them either.

Master of Iron
    Years
    • Seen Feb 10, 2015
    I believe it's mainly because there isn't enough research done on it and there isn't much to go off on. Meanwhile for the 3rd generation games we've progressed too far to move away from it and there's a lot more you can do there than we can currently do with 4th gen and above hacking. Not to mention that we're not done researching them either.
    The 4th gen was released in 2006-07 and still so little progress in eight years? That is crazy! I have thought about a remake of Pokémon Vega (hack of Japanese FireRed) based on Black/White 2, modified to include things like the Fairy type and other changes in the 6th generation and yet, I still see FireRed and Emerald hacks all over!

Xela

Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2024
    The 4th gen was released in 2006-07 and still so little progress in eight years? That is crazy! I have thought about a remake of Pokémon Vega (hack of Japanese FireRed) based on Black/White 2, modified to include things like the Fairy type and other changes in the 6th generation and yet, I still see FireRed and Emerald hacks all over!

That's the results of the research recent members have been able to do on FireRed and Emerald. It's just a much more "safer" base to work on right now because there's been extensive research done on it already in the past. I'm not saying there hasn't been any progress on the 4th gen games, but it's very little compared to what we can do already on the 3rd gen ones. I'd love to see 4th gen be used as main ROM bases one day.

Master of Iron
    Years
    • Seen Feb 10, 2015
    That's the results of the research recent members have been able to do on FireRed and Emerald. It's just a much more "safer" base to work on right now because there's been extensive research done on it already in the past. I'm not saying there hasn't been any progress on the 4th gen games, but it's very little compared to what we can do already on the 3rd gen ones. I'd love to see 4th gen be used as main ROM bases one day.

So it's basically an issue of path dependence where the 'network effect' advantages of staying with the common platform outweigh the benefits of the newer platforms?

Xela

Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2024
    So it's basically an issue of path dependence where the 'network effect' advantages of staying with the common platform outweigh the benefits of the newer platforms?

Yeah, I'd say you could put it like that. That pretty much sums up the whole ordeal about 3rd gen vs. 4th gen hacking, it's just a much easier platform to work on and it's a lot more common.

Blah

Free supporter
    Years
  • Newer generation games don't have enough research on them for tool makers to do their work. And without a decent map editing and scripting program, hacking will be very tedious. That and you can pretty much flawlessly import any non-graphical aspect of a newer generation game over to third generation. I'd say the only drawback is that we don't have as much RAM space to use, so larger scale hacks require smart implementation.

Shhwonk

always with the games, etc.
    Years
  • Pokemon Altair/Sirius, the prequels of Pokemon Vega have been completely translated to English before October 2014. Anyone aware of this?

Just downloaded the translated patch yesterday.

Wait...really? Geez, I was looking at those games for months and really wanted to play them, but I was reluctant to because, well, I don't know Japan. That's awesome, I'm gonna look into it. Thanks :-)

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    Quick question, do you guys think this weather effect is ugly?

rwNtQ.jpg

And more on topic, what is that one feature that makes you wanna not play a hack?

For me, it's the lack of decap. I mean, I could definitely play with it, but I'd much rather play a hack with decap than without it

CosmicBlazer

Batman
    Years
  • Quick question, do you guys think this weather effect is ugly?

rwNtQ.jpg

And more on topic, what is that one feature that makes you wanna not play a hack?

For me, it's the lack of decap. I mean, I could definitely play with it, but I'd much rather play a hack with decap than without it

Is that the stormy one with the rain? Or is that some weather I don't know about o.o? If it stays like when your in that area than yes it is ugly. IMO Idc but I might get annoyed by it later idk lol.

EDIT: Lack of a interesting story or just doesn't make any sense at all. Like Fluorite. Its so bad xD

klingt

Living Poetry
    Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2015

The beta curse. Seriously, release a new version someday ever. Don't be another halfway hack or I'm not bothering with you. I know it's hard, but that's the kind of task you're undertaking.

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    The beta curse. Seriously, release a new version someday ever. Don't be another halfway hack or I'm not bothering with you. I know it's hard, but that's the kind of task you're undertaking.

Well you can't really blame someone for not finishing a hack, and discarding a hack simply because it's not completed doesn't seem very fair in my opinion...

klingt

Living Poetry
    Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2015
    The issue isn't with the idea of beta itself or trying and giving up because it isn't worth it; rather the sheer number of unfinished hacks there are, made by people who may never interact with the community again. I understand all the things that can get in the way, but in my opinion, if you're going to do something, finish it.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    The issue isn't with the idea of beta itself or trying and giving up because it isn't worth it; rather the sheer number of unfinished hacks there are, made by people who may never interact with the community again. I understand all the things that can get in the way, but in my opinion, if you're going to do something, finish it.

I disagree. Though there are many unfinished hacks, rushing just to get it finished and get it over with is worse in my opinion, as it usually results in very bad quality hacks.

People usually do this as a hobby, and if they actually care about making something decent it takes quite a while, which is why most end up giving up.

Dionen

deprived of sleep
    Years
  • I disagree. Though there are many unfinished hacks, rushing just to get it finished and get it over with is worse in my opinion, as it usually results in very bad quality hacks.
    People usually do this as a hobby, and if they actually care about making something decent it takes quite a while, which is why most end up giving up.
    They rush their betas
    They release something with tons of bugs and low quality
    They receive a feedback that was not what they wanted
    They give up

That's what happens most of the time, unfortunately. The feedback is often the only thing you receive from hacking, and that may ruin the whole thing.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    I quite like getting feedback. Not from betas necessarily, but isn't that the reason people post updates and screenshots.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    I quite like getting feedback. Not from betas necessarily, but isn't that the reason people post updates and screenshots.

I love getting feedback from updates or screenshots. It'd always keep me motivated to work more and post updates more frequently. There were times I'd rush to finish a small map just so I could post a screenshot with a minor update. :P

Back