• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

ROM Hack's Recommendations

Sniper

ふゆかい
Years
  • LoL. What Version Pokemon Do You Play Now?

Only played ruby destiny series and other completed hacks. Not all in hack studio are complete. I only play completed hacks but currently, none. But I do recommend playing Ruby destiny series hack by destinedjagold

JJK

The chase is about to begin...
    Years
  • Good evening, ladies and gentlemen.

A bit of context first: due to circumstances in my life, I find myself with plenty of time to waste in transit. My cellphone is an ancient Nokia N70, but as it turns out, there ARE GB and GBA emulators compatible with it. I've played though all the main series (again) and one hack, but now I need something new.

The only hack I ever played was one I was rather involved in, and the sole reason I registered: ShinyGold. A remake of my favorite game of all time, executed near flawlessly, and with an X version with increased levels - a challenge I loved, rare for the series.

Bearing in mind that is my standard for hack, and I do reckon it's a fairly high one, I would kindly ask of you to recommend me some other hacks you find suitable for me.

Some of the things I'm looking for, albeit none of them in any way exclusive if you believe they'll fit my bill regardless:
    - No original Pokémon
    - Plays, "feels" like any main game, as subjective as that may be
    - Completed, or with extensive beta (see ShinyGold Beta 5, Johto + Eastern Kanto)
    - - Extra longevity is a BIG plus. I rate discovering you have access to Kanto in Gold as my favorite video game moment.
    - Preferably, more challenging than the series games. I prefer to tackle a fresh challenge put before me without constraints, rather than limit myself with something like Nuzlocke.

Bonus points for Gen1/2 hacks. My memory card is kaput, so I'm running with only 19 MBs of cellphone internal memory - and the GBA games are 16. I know they're a much smaller world than GBA/DS hacks, but I'd much appreciate it.

Apologies if this post comes off as too strict or convoluted: I'm just doing my best to put you in my mind.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2021
    Good evening, ladies and gentlemen.

A bit of context first: due to circumstances in my life, I find myself with plenty of time to waste in transit. My cellphone is an ancient Nokia N70, but as it turns out, there ARE GB and GBA emulators compatible with it. I've played though all the main series (again) and one hack, but now I need something new.

The only hack I ever played was one I was rather involved in, and the sole reason I registered: ShinyGold. A remake of my favorite game of all time, executed near flawlessly, and with an X version with increased levels - a challenge I loved, rare for the series.

Bearing in mind that is my standard for hack, and I do reckon it's a fairly high one, I would kindly ask of you to recommend me some other hacks you find suitable for me.

Some of the things I'm looking for, albeit none of them in any way exclusive if you believe they'll fit my bill regardless:
    - No original Pokémon
    - Completed, or with extensive beta (see ShinyGold Beta 5, Johto + Eastern Kanto)
    - - Extra longevity is a BIG plus. I rate discovering you have access to Kanto in Gold as my favorite video game moment.
    - Preferably, more challenging than the series games. I prefer to tackle a fresh challenge put before me without constraints, rather than limit myself with something like Nuzlocke.

Bonus points for Gen1/2 hacks. My memory card is kaput, so I'm running with only 19 MBs of cellphone internal memory - and the GBA games are 16. I know they're a much smaller world than GBA/DS hacks, but I'd much appreciate it.

Apologies if this post comes off as too strict or convoluted: I'm just doing my best to put you in my mind.

Thank you in advance.
    Liquid Crystal might be something you'd be into, it's similar to Shiny Gold but with Kanto + the Orange Islands. Only problem is I believe it's a 32mb expanded ROM. There aren't so many gen 1/2 hacks, but some of the best are brown and prism, of which the former is complete. There's also hacks like Pokemon Bronze, more recent but I personally haven't tried it.

Years
    • Seen Sep 8, 2015
    hi I'm new

Just want to say hello everyone and I would like to try some new hack games that are finished. If anybody can navigate me through this and show me where I can download some games that would be amazing!! Haha THANKS!!

Years
  • I really want to find hacks with Gen 6 :/

Hey guys, as you can tell from the title, I want to find a gba hack that includes most if not all gen 6 pokemon, I really like the starters heheheh. Other generations can be included too, as long as the hack is well done, too tired of playing glitchy hacks, any help is appreciated, thanks and have a nice day

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2022
    Life of Guardians or Light Platinum. Those two are the way to go. Or, Glazed. That's also a good one.

Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2023
    Pokemon Glazed has to be my favourite, the difficulty is well done, the starters interesting and it's got 3 regions as well as a world championship after you've completed everything else. On top of that it had a interesting storyline and was very attractive

Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2023
    Good evening, ladies and gentlemen.

- No original Pokémon

Thank you in advance.

Try Glazed it sounds like pretty much exactly what you're looking for

Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2015
    Hi, I'm looking for a couple of hacked ROMs to play... Help?

So, I'm a forum lurker. Once every 6 or so months, I get bored and remember that hacked PKMN roms are a thing, and look for some decent ones, but I can never find any decent ones. The last one I played, about a year ago, maybe a bit more, was Light Platinum. I also downloaded Snakewood and it was alright, I played it for a few hours.

So, what I'm wondering is, are there any ROMs that actually provide a good challenge, have a good story, look good, last for a while (have a metagame), and look decent. Like, the graphics on Light Platinum were great, but the story was completely terrible and I don't remember it being anything special, so I stopped playing it a few hours in.

One of the ROMs I thought looked really good was Pokemon LIFE but the author hasn't released a playable version for it yet. Also, I have Glazed but I don't want to play that yet. Also, if it's possible for me to play the ROM on Android, that would be great. I prefer to do gaming on my phone. I got glazed, Snakewood, LP, etc, working on my phone and I'd rather not play any of these on my computer.

I really appreciate any responses! Thanks! Sorry if I sound too demanding, I'd just like to have something a bit... Different and unique, that's all. I'm a little sick of the cliche pokemon games.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    So, I'm a forum lurker. Once every 6 or so months, I get bored and remember that hacked PKMN roms are a thing, and look for some decent ones, but I can never find any decent ones. The last one I played, about a year ago, maybe a bit more, was Light Platinum. I also downloaded Snakewood and it was alright, I played it for a few hours.

So, what I'm wondering is, are there any ROMs that actually provide a good challenge, have a good story, look good, last for a while (have a metagame), and look decent. Like, the graphics on Light Platinum were great, but the story was completely terrible and I don't remember it being anything special, so I stopped playing it a few hours in.

One of the ROMs I thought looked really good was Pokemon LIFE but the author hasn't released a playable version for it yet. Also, I have Glazed but I don't want to play that yet. Also, if it's possible for me to play the ROM on Android, that would be great. I prefer to do gaming on my phone. I got glazed, Snakewood, LP, etc, working on my phone and I'd rather not play any of these on my computer.

I really appreciate any responses! Thanks! Sorry if I sound too demanding, I'd just like to have something a bit... Different and unique, that's all. I'm a little sick of the cliche pokemon games.

I moved your thread into this thread since it's very common for people to ask for which hacks to play, so why not take a look at the above replies to other people? I'm sure you can find good hacks to play from those posts.

Or you could just have a look at the Hacks Studio section, all threads there have mostly complete hacks, and there's also a stickied directory thread listing hacks with releases.

Years
    • Seen Apr 15, 2020
    Pokemon Dark Rising series is one of my favourite ROMs, difficult mode and completely different story to usual games. Wish there were more like it

Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2015
    I moved your thread into this thread since it's very common for people to ask for which hacks to play, so why not take a look at the above replies to other people? I'm sure you can find good hacks to play from those posts.

Or you could just have a look at the Hacks Studio section, all threads there have mostly complete hacks, and there's also a stickied directory thread listing hacks with releases.

Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction! I'll take a look. Sorry for any trouble I may have caused you!

Years
  • Can someone tell me the hardest ROM hack they can think of?

I would love it if someone could tell me the hardest ROM hack they could think of. Don't hold back. I love challenge in a game. Heck, I Wanna the Boshy is likely in top 10 of my favorite games. I also find Nuzlockes easy. The harder the better. Enjoy sending me games that will destroy me!

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2015
    Looking for a simple Emerald hack

I've looked all over this forum for a simple Emerald hack that doesn't make the game more difficult/change the story too much

This is basically what i'm looking for:
    Able to get all Pokemon without trading
    Use running shoes inside houses
    Re-usable TM's
    Teach a move over an HM (not too important)

Does anyone know of something like this? I don't expect there to be a hack with these changes and no other ones, but like I said I don't want a difficulty increase or story change.
    Thanks.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    I've looked all over this forum for a simple Emerald hack that doesn't make the game more difficult/change the story too much

This is basically what i'm looking for:
    Able to get all Pokemon without trading
    Use running shoes inside houses
    Re-usable TM's
    Teach a move over an HM (not too important)

Does anyone know of something like this? I don't expect there to be a hack with these changes and no other ones, but like I said I don't want a difficulty increase or story change.
    Thanks.

These posts go in the Hack Recommendations thread so I'm merging your thread with that one.

Have you checked out the Sideshow Showcase section? I'm pretty sure most of them will have the features you're looking for, though a few of them should also have some increased difficulty.

ItWasABadDream

Genwunner / born 1989
    Years
  • Good evening, ladies and gentlemen.

- No original Pokémon

Thank you in advance.

2 words: Complex Crystal...
    ...which you can find by clicking here.

You're welcome! {:3}

Back