• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rumors of Pokémon RPG for Wii

Years
  • I havn't even started and I alrady know this is going to be long.

First of all...this wouldnt ruin the feel of Pokemon, they would still have the gameboy games, they wouldnt go exticnt, its justa variety on the game.

I have played pokemon since the day blue/red came out, and ever since those days back when I was 10 I have always dreamed of a game like this. When I was probably 10 or 11 when Pokemon Stadium came out. When I heard about it me and all my friends thought it was going to be a 3D game...I was very disapointed. I personally think it would be great for nintendo, they need something new on the block besides the same old Mario and Zelda (as great as they are) if they really wanna stick it to Sony and Microsoft. Just imagine....

You create your own trainer, clothes, color of skin, age, gender, all the good stuff in character creators. You get a Rival, you can create and name him or just take a random one. Then you start off in some town in Kanto, and instead of choosing one of the three normal starters, you pick any (non-legend, and not too powerull) pokemon out of the original 151. I say this because in the show everyone starts with something different not everyone has a bulbasaur, charmander, squirtle. But if you want them you can. Your rival also gets some random Pokemon. Then you set off on your journey. Pokemon are seen running around and you can either go up and battle them, or some will be aggrisive enough to attack you. Any Pokemon can be caught just about anywhere. Even pokemon that could not be caught in the wild in previous games like the 3 starters. Battling should not be turn based and like someone else said like super smash bros, were you have full controll over your pokemon and they can learn MORE THEN FOUR MOVES! Really how many moves does pikachu use...thunderbolt, thunder, agility, volt tackle, quick attack, Iron tail. Once you win all 8 kanto bages, you go to the Pokemon league and do that tournament to see how you do.

After every succesfull region complete (and sometimes in the middle) you get your chances at ledgend pokemon. But once you catch them they can only be used in say out of gym battles and online play...it will make the game alot harder.

When your all done with everything in Kanto, you go to Johto, and have the choice to keep the party you have now, or scrap everyone but your original startet and catch this regions pokemon. If you dont scrap them the Gym leaders and trainer's you face will have higher level pokemon.

This trend continues untill you collect all of the 32 available badges and thus beat the game. This game might be a little for one game disk to handle, so we might have to go final fantasy on us and make it a 3 disk thing. I would personally pay more then 50$ if a game like this came out.

Ohh and sorry for the length :embarrass

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2015
    I think that if they make an RPG for Wii, then it should be an MMO, sorta like WoW (World of Warcraft). You start out, and get abilites, which would be your pokemon, or they could be the equivalent of a Pet in WoW. Which would mean, you have one trainer action bar, then on above it, is a seperate bar that has all the moves your pokemon knows.

Neko

PC's Traveling Artist
    Years
  • If there were to be a Pokemon rpg game for the Wii it shouldn't be turn-based like jmacz008 had mentioned before. It'd be sooo boring and take so long to finish a battle. God look at Pokmon Colesseum as an example! The battles....so...BORING! Ack *death*

See, I think the perfect fighting style, imo, would be either something along the lines of FFXII (I haven't played that game for a while, but I think I've played it long enough to know what the fighting styles are) or maybe something like Brawl where you walk around and each button is a different move, etc.

-Neko

Roy G. Biv

KHAAAAAN!
    Years
  • Well, they certainly didn't announce it at E3!

Then again they didn't announce anything worthwhile at E3...

Dukey

oh.my.gaskarth.
    Years
  • it shouldn't be turn based I agree, but when u use attacks it is faster and alot stronger than usual, so the battles are way shorter, oh and u can run from battles still

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Well, they certainly didn't announce it at E3!

Then again they didn't announce anything worthwhile at E3...
    *cough Pikmin 3 anyone?* ;) But besides that, not much else... a Pokemon spin-off sequel, and AC. Nintendo aren't going to give out info on EVERY game they release, and also would try to reap out max sales from each game by spacing out their release, same for Pokemon. Now it's Platinumj, and soon Poke Ranger as a spinoff game. Then later on something else big.

Well, a non-turn based version of Pokemon would be interesting, and have potential, but how feasible is it? Brawl, admittedly has a million and one things here and there, but not much space left at all. And how many fighters are there?

And Pokemon has close to 500. All the moves as well. Hmm. I'm not sure of the limitations and all, but to me it doesn't seem promising in terms of memory. And people ain't going to want 2-D sprtes for Pokemon for such a game.

If there were to be a Pokemon rpg game for the Wii it shouldn't be turn-based like jmacz008 had mentioned before. It'd be sooo boring and take so long to finish a battle. God look at Pokmon Colesseum as an example! The battles....so...BORING! Ack *death*
    Anti-Pokemon Colosseum examples are frowned on by me. ;) But admitedly, yes, battles in Colosseum did take time. But aren't they now faster in PBR? And I'm sure they could cut it done even further... or maybe have the same thing in the handheld games in that you can switch off the animations? Hmm...

And honestly, I don't know if they would want to go and change Pokemon's turn-based history, that has been used in all major game - other ideas saved for spin-offs. It's made them a lot of money thus far, and all they've done is rinse and repeat a formula. Don't see them changing that, but whole knows. But IMO if there is another RPG for the Wii, (which I think likely), then Genius Sorinity, makers of Colosseum, XD and PBR, would be the more than likely candidates to make the next game. Maybe they are already working on it now?

Pogiforce-14

EV/IV Trainer
    Years
  • I'm expecting it to be Either the Ore region, or another region very similar. the console RPGs were both Based in Ore, so I could see the new Wii game being either in Ore, or connected to it.

Everyone wants a pokemon game that lets you visit every region, pick where you start, how you look, etcetera, but the plausibility of it is low. a game like that would take a lot of work and several years to make.

Guitar God in Training

Glam Metal Rules
    Years
  • There's no RPG being developed at the moment as far as anyone knows. Nintendo usually hints at things like this. for example, Nintendo have already revealed that they are making a new Mario game for Wii and two new Zelda games for Wii and DS.

I hope they do make a full RPG in 3D, it really bugged me that XD only had 9 wild pokemon.
    It would be awesome if they made a full RPG including gyms, a league and a battle frontier, but also included references to shadow pokemon in the plot.

I just hope we never have to capture shadow pokemon again. They annoy the hell out of me, every attack is super effective and you have to spend ages purifying them to even use them. Then you realise they have a terrible nature. Like my adamant Spheal and jolly Lugia.

Everyone wants a pokemon game that lets you visit every region, pick where you start, how you look, etcetera, but the plausibility of it is low. a game like that would take a lot of work and several years to make.

It wouldn't be that difficult, they already have the coding for the main gameplay mechanics from all the other Pokemon games and the code to change your appearance from Battle Revolution. They could modify the engine that Colosseum and XD used with the battle engine frm Battle Revolution.

We will probably never get a game with every region though, just one or maybe two if we're lucky. We will at least never get a fully 3D game with multiple regions as it would take up too much space on the disc.

Maybe Nintendo should consider making a 2D pokemon RPG for the wii and use the extra disc space to put all the existing regions in the game, and add new ones too.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2009
    Hopefully, it'll be in the vein of XD, but without Shadow Pokemon. The theme and idea was good, as well as the implementation. The Shadow Pokemon won't really fit in a full-blown RPG, they're wearing thin...

Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2013
    This does seem like a good idea. Hopefully they go through with it.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Two of those links seem to be the same...

Besides- doesn't seem to have anything clear-cut just yet - more like 'it *may* happen, but we ain't really denying or confirming anything', like what they said for a GS remake. Just more of the same stuff. And this thread started befor E3, where these rumours came from. (and a lot more rumours came from E3 as well).
    Unless for the last link where there's another one within showing the interview... unfortunatle it is in another language. Doh.

I wouldn't make anything of them yet, until a MAJOR source, like Coro Coro magazine or Serebii.net say anything. Or Nintendo does first. I don't think it would happen anytime soon though - for now they would be trying to garner as many sales from Platinum.

Alex_Of_Sadrea

Legendary Keeper
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2008
    If they made one for the Wii, I think that'd be awesome. Like, I have Diamond and I have the Wii's Pokemon Battle Revolution, but it's not really the same as a full-blown RPG on something other than a handheld system.

What did you guys think? 'Cause I can't really see what's wrong with it... The controls are basically the same. And imagine the graphics? The pixel-art is adorable, but if they could make actual 3D graphics for the settings and battles, I would be in awe.

Years
  • man, that would suck worse than pokemon mystery dungeon!!!!! lol
    seriously though, they should keep the rpg's limited to ds/gb/gba
    they would try and make it look 3d and it would ruin the feel of pokemon :)

wait. wouldn't Pokemon already be 3.5D. There are 5 dimensions. I'll list them all.
    1. Length
    2. Width
    3. Depth
    4. Time
    5. Life-After-Death (for those who believe in it).

Pokemon covers Length, Width, Time and a bit of Depth.

Anyways, back-on-topic. RPG's have already been made on GC but to make a full blown out one would be awesome. Get rid of the mission's and colloseums and put proper Gyms and an E4 system with all pokemon and stuff. Wouldn't be bad but meh, a bit too early for one. It isn't really that necessary at the moment.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2008
    I have been waiting for them to get on top of making something like this. Not saying it would be easy, but it seems like something that could be done and done well. A step up from what it is would be pretty impressive to say the least.

Would be great honestly if they came out with MMORPG involving Pokemon. The possibilities are endless, and it would provide a much more interesting experience when you can travel the Pokemon world and be battling with actual people you come across. Your character could go around being a trainer, perhaps a breeder, or do the contests, or a combination.

Kung Fu Quagsire!

woah there friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Jul 27, 2019
    It would be a cool idea, but I doubt it'll happen. It just wouldn't... feel right. It might work, but I doubt that these rumors are true.

damion

Dragon Trainer
    Years
  • you know there will be a new wii version out but everyone wants a rgp which is a bad idea
    the home versions are used for the big screen battles

yes GC had two rgp types but they were short (to me anyway)

i used the two games for the arenas

B/r/y = stadium I

g/s/c = Stadium II

R/s = Colloseeum

E/LG/Fr = XD

D/P = PBr

you get the point

Back