• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sad News - Maddie Blaustein has passed away

Years
    I couldnt believe it when i saw. But yes, she will be missed. I dont know much about her but i know she was the best performer of meowth. I dont really think they could joke with the death of a person. Just wondering, why did the original VA for meowth leave.

4Kids lost the dubbing license, and so all of the main VAs were changed. Some pop up every now and again in minor roles (Rachael Lillis, who was the voice of Misty, voiced Maylene recently, and others such as Dan Green have performed recently).

Miss Reyna

Happiness~
    Years
    Years
    Rest in Peace Maddie...Every time now my sis' watch the old VHS of PKMN.... D=
    I do agree with Dogasu that at least he fandom has been united in this. I might actually watch Ch.5 on Sat. (CW4Kids) Dinosaur King looks nice =/
    I never got the chance to ask a question on that Q&A thread on serebii. =O

Years
    It seems like Maddie will live on a bit longer by the anime since it seems like there is a character in this week's new epiosde that looks a lot like her.

Excuse the biting cynicism for a moment, but are you actually suggesting that the animators knew that Maddie Blaustein was going to die in December while they were working on an episode that aired in July? Because the Japanese obviously know everything. -_-

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Ouch. I think Miss Reyna was just suggesting they based the look of her on Maddie, rather than because of her death...although I don't think they would base it on a random American voice actor

Years
    Good bye Adam Blaustein. Or as you would want to be called Maddie Blaustein. He/She's in the great city in the sky now, and she didn't need to use any HMs to get there.

Years
    Good bye Adam Blaustein. Or as you would want to be called Maddie Blaustein.

Could you at least have some respect for her? Transgendered individuals prefer to be referred to by their chosen name and their chosen gender, not by their birth name. I find it quite disrespectful of you to not honour these wishes of her with her recently departed.

Miss Reyna

Happiness~
    Years
    Excuse the biting cynicism for a moment, but are you actually suggesting that the animators knew that Maddie Blaustein was going to die in December while they were working on an episode that aired in July? Because the Japanese obviously know everything. -_-

Yeppie. That what I meant. Just the idea that maybe they base the character off of her is nice to think about. Still I do think she does resumeble and could be base on Edna but who knows. Teeheehee

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Wow, I feel so sad...I surely do hope she RIP and that she will come back to earth again one day!

Pechachu

Indifference, I choose you!
    Years
    I had heard this over in 4chan's /a/ a few days ago, and hoped it wasn't true. I guess it is... D:

My prayers go out to Maddie's family, and I hope that she's gone to a better place.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
    *Crys*
    no it cant be true... Why?
    *Sniff*
    S-s-she Cant!!! *Sobbs*

I hate Death's hand!!!!! I hate it!!!! *Sobbs*
    Maddie*Sniffs* You won't die in vain. May you Rest in Peace.

Years
    I caught the news on Dogasu's site, so.

Y'know, I never thought this 10 years ago, but I rather enjoyed her Meowth in the grand scheme of things. I know, "the Japanese voice is better!" and all that, but I finally realize that she did an excellent job with the character. Of all the voice swaps, I took hers the hardest (that and James'). No matter who voices the character next, it will never be the same to me. I now say this, not because she'd dead, but because she was around to give life to Meowth. I now firmly believe that.

So, I'll definitely miss her for that. I also thought she did a good job with Surge, for what it's worth.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I caught the news on Dogasu's site, so.

Y'know, I never thought this 10 years ago, but I rather enjoyed her Meowth in the grand scheme of things. I know, "the Japanese voice is better!" and all that, but I finally realize that she did an excellent job with the character. Of all the voice swaps, I took hers the hardest (that and James'). No matter who voices the character next, it will never be the same to me. I now say this, not because she'd dead, but because she was around to give life to Meowth. I now firmly believe that.

So, I'll definitely miss her for that. I also thought she did a good job with Surge, for what it's worth.

I'm at a loss for words, honestly..

But what Charaxes said pretty much sums it up for me. She was one of my favorite voice overs in general, not just for Pokemon. But the fact that she was part of Pokemon makes it that much worse, to me. ;~; Because this series, games, comics, anime, voice actors, the like is something that means so much to me, I pretty much freaked when I heard about what happened with Maddie. Unfortunately, I wasn't one of the fans who could say 'Oh, its false info~!', and leave it at that.

If anyone still doesn't believe it, it was confirmed by 4Kids, because it plays at the end of the credits after she played roles in. That's how I found out. Now I'm sitting here missing the Yugioh 5D's dub, typing this, because I ran to the computer to search it after I saw it in show credits.

This isn't happy.. ~ T_T It's a shame it happened during the holidays, too.

R..I.P Maddie. <3

You will be missed.

Mr. Pokemon

Still rockin' the DS Phat
    Years
    Maddie Blaustein passes away at 48

From 4kids.tv:

It is with great sadness that we note the passing of our friend and colleague Maddie Blaustein. Maddie was a voice actress for hit shows such as Pokémon [as Meowth], Chaotic: M'arrillian Invasion, Dinosaur King, and Sonic X. She was a wonderful actress, friend and inspiration. Her talent, friendship and laughter will be missed by all.

In Loving Memory Of
    Maddie Blaustein
    1960-2008

Back