• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Salamence, Altaria & Flygon

Years
    I used Flygon in one of my playthroughs just because I wanted to try something new and I wasn't disappointed with it. It looks cool and he became pretty fast after evolving to Vibrava.

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
    Years
    Not being a big fan of Dragon type Pokemon, I actually like all three of these! My Flygon in Sapphire was my love <3 I also liked my Altaria too!

I never got a Salamence because Bagons were SO hard to find.

Years
    I have never used Altaria in any of my runs, I don't even know how'd it go.
    FOR GOD'S SAKE, HOW IS THAT THING A DRAGON? I might try using Altaria next time to see how'd it go.

Salamence and Flygon... THEY HIT LIKE TRUCKS, so of course I have used them.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    When I first played the game, I never saw a single dragon type because both Swablu and Trapinch aren't dragons/look like dragons. So I ended up whining that Drake gets these big, strong dragons and I don't. Then when I trained Trapinch, I realized that Vibrava is a dragon type and used Flygon. That's why I prefer Flygon lol

Years
    I never got a chance to use Salamence on most my play throughs, simply because it was hard for me to level him up quickly enough before the E4. However, post E4 I used a Salamence rather frequently.

I loved Flygon, it was one of the few Pokemon I got to level 100, and it's even good as a Vibrava. It just takes a little bit of EXP Share to get it to where it needs to be.

Altaria, I use extremely frequently now. You can get it pretty early in the game and Swablu is actually pretty good with Secret Power. Then you get Altaria. I taught mine Ice Beam to deal with Drake I believe? And it also helped a lot in general. Altaria is an excellent Pokemon with a cute design and good movepool.

CelticsPhan

Get Poke'd
    Years
    I didn't realize the potential of any of the three Dragons until after I fought Drake, who has all three of them. When completing my PokeDex, I got all of them and wished I had included them in my original team.

Salamence has been one of my favorite Pokemon ever since.

Trainer 781

My encounter with a flygon was a very dramatic one:
    I am player that played ruby 8 years ago. Didn't learn about dragon type at that time. Forgot so much about pokemon, especially the Gen III ones. Then 2 years ago, again started playing pokemon, but Gen IV and V. Then played fire red for the sake of completing every game.

Then my friend gave me to play a GBA hack called liquid crystal. I was in the blackthorn city, in which I encountered an pokemon breeder who sent a Flygon first. I didn't remember it or did not learned about it earlier. I thought it was useless flying bug, because it looked like a bug and had the word 'fly' on its name. I sent a machamp as the lead. I selected the move thunderpunch for machamp (the hack has the pss split) thinking that it would hit flygon super effectively.

The flygon started with an earthquake as it was faster. When machamp executed the thunderpunch, I was surprised to see this message, "It doesn't affect the opposing flygon". I went for cross chop then but the flygon demolished it with an critical earthquake. I thought it was still had the bug typing.

And then, I sent my typhlosion thinking that it would roast Flygon with a flamethrower. I used flamethrower, but the opposing flygon took a paltry of damage. And the battle message yielded "It is not very effective" and flygon instantly nailed my typhlosion with a super effective. I was thinking what the hell was going on.

Then I check serebii.net for information about this mon. I was surprised to see that it was a ground dragon and was impressed by this. Therefore, I decided to use it in my EMERALD playthrough. It was a very good part of the team. Its STAB earthquake hits very hard and used it for flying around the hoenn region.

Salemence:
    Salamence is a pseudo-legendary as has massive attacking stats and a greate mixed sweeper. But it is obtained to late in game as a Bagon.

LetsPlayALoveGame

Wielder of the Disco Stick
    Years
    • Age 31
    • he/him
    • Texas
    • Seen Mar 9, 2023
    Never really cared for Salamence, but Flygon was always something I enjoyed using, especially in Colosseum. I named mine Boomhauer.

orangeralts21

Newfound Respect for Wobbuffet
    Years
    Well. Let's consider this. My regulars in Challenges are Swablu. I'm Momma Altaria. There's an Altaria in the forum splash. I had a raffle for shiny Swablu and a shiny Altaria for my birthday last year. There's a shiny Altaria in my promotion post in the updates thread. With all that being said...Altaria is one of my favorite Pokemon. Not only did I think the design was great, but it's a Pokemon that means a lot to me now because of the challenge community here. It's my baby. <3 I use it whenever I can and I never get bored! :)

Salamence and Flygon are great too, of course! I used to use Flygon a lot actually. It's a bit difficult to use Salamence because Bagon is so late in the game (8 badges in) and then it evolves later than Vibrava and Swablu. Still worth it though, I'd say. But out of the three, I prefer Altaria.

I was going to say a few negative things about my experiences with Altaria but I'm just going to hush.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I was going to say a few negative things about my experiences with Altaria but I'm just going to hush.

I mean, to each their own. I personally love using Umbreon in-game and a lot of people struggle with that as well. I think people tend to use Pokemon of lesser strength more effectively when it's something they really like.

Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2020
    I never used any of the three very extensively in the original games. Bagon comes too late in the game and Salamence takes too long to evolve (though I do have one that I evolved in the post-game in Emerald). Trapinch is pretty nice for an NFE, but much though I like Vibrava, it's sort of a hassle to use, so I could never stick with one long enough to evolve it to Flygon in time to actually use it before the E4. The only one that I evolved early enough to actually use was Altaria, but I never used it much, just because defense doesn't appeal to me as much.

I just recently started another playthrough of Emerald though, and one of my goals in this game is specifically to use a Flygon. I still doubt that I'll get around to using a Salamence though.

I trained all of them. <3 These guys were among some of my favorite Pokemon in all of Hoenn and definitely my top dragons so I just couldn't leave them be, hah. Salamence especially was very hard to raise but truly worth it because how good it was in battle. Crunch + Dragon Claw whoot.

Altaria was weaker but had a really pretty design and I made a habit to teach mine plenty of special-based moves like Flamethrower and Ice Beam as a kid as it didn't feel right without it. Flygon was the last one I jumped aboard to train since I wasn't much into the Trapinch/Vibrava leveling phase but once it evolves it's great.

LavenderTownGhost

Returning to Hoenn
    Years
    I absolutely love all three of them, but since you can't really obtain Salamence until the end of the game, I tend to go for Flygon or Altaria, instead. They are all wonderful, and so worth the raise. Right now I have an Altaria named Alyssa. ^_^

Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    When Altaria first was introduced it quickly became my favourite Flying-type, I always use it for the bird Pokémon in my team whenever I can. I loved Flygon, too, but I kind of hated having to train a Trapinch for so long. When I first caught it I was like "I can't believe this guy evolves into a dragon" haha

Melodi

Trying to catch my fame!
    Years
    That is always my question when im about to play R/S/E because of my playing style, i go usually with salamence. Salamence is just so awesome, just only to look at it:D Flygon is good too tho, used it couple of times, but still somehow feels like something is missing? (anybody else gets that feeling?)

And altaria is fine, but dont like it that much. used it too couple of times but i get always bored of it.

So i go with salamence!

Shadowraze

ur mum
    Years
    Salamence \m/

The guy's freaking awesome too bad he can't learn outrage in Gen III the attack stats are way at the top and ev training it just makes it more awesome. Flygon is great as well used it on Ruby before mainly used it as a mixed attacker since I didn't knew EV's and stats variations before.

blue

gucci
    Years
    Ironically Altaria, Salamence and Flygon are my favourite Dragon types of all. I've used Altaria plenty of times and I plan on using one in ORAS too. :)

Years
    I used Flygon in my first run of Sapphire. I almost gave up on it once my Vibrava hit level 40, but I kept going, and turned out I only needed five more levels haha. Glad I waited it out, Flygon is quite the powerful Pokemon. It's no Salamence, though. I never trained one from a Bagon in-game, but I've used one a few times in competitive teams, and he can dominate a battle, for sure. Altaria is one of my favorite bird Pokemon designs, so I've used her on numerous occasions. It's a pain to train Swablu, though, with their low stats and limited move pool. Once you evolve them, it's worth it. :]

Years
    I've used Salamence and Flygon in many playthroughs of RSE, particularly the former. That one does take a while to level up, especially since you get it so late in. And Flygon while not having the best Special Attack I like using on occasion. But their major downside is that since you only have one Dragon Claw TM, they don't get a good Dragon-type attack for a while unless you're willing to part with it.

Back