• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Salamence, Altaria & Flygon

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    Yes, I used Salamence a few times when playing through the games. I may have used Altaria once, but I don't really remember. I didn't use Flygon at all in Pokémon RSE because I didn't like him until he got a boost in Generation 4. Salamence was my favorite in Pokémon RSE because he was so strong and seemed to just dominate the other Pokémon. I also like the look of him, and even of Shelgon and Bagon.

Normally, I would go to Meteor Falls and search and search to find a Bagon at level 30. From then I would train him forever, until he evolved into Salamence and was ready for the Elite Four. Luckily, he would be worth it though sweeping teams for me! He was definitely a star in Generation 3, and proved to be a strong competitor in later generations as well. My favorite shiny Pokémon however, was Altaria. I love the goldish looking color the Pokémon gets more than the other two. Then I preferred Flygon in Generation 4 because he was my premiere sweeper in competitive battling. So it really all depends how you use each Pokemon, but Salamence wins for Generation 3.

Universe

all-consuming
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016
    I believe in my original game I caught a Trapinch and went for Flygon.
    I can't remember if I actually made it to Flygon and kept it though, but I'm fairly certain that I did.

For me to not make any mental note of it, it's very possible it did decently if nothing else. Nothing too great, nothing bad, just another team member. But I do know I like Flygon's design the most out of this dragon trio, with Altaria coming in close second.

I'm currently nuzlocking Emerald and actually got the opportunity to catch Swablu and train it just the other day. I'm betting I'll really enjoy using Altaria especially considering I have no defensive Pokemon on my team.. so we shall see! It's a cute dragon, so I don't think I could really go wrong with this.

ShadowGeralt

Ultimate Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    Salamence was awesome! But due to the fact that it is pseudo-legendary, i never used it for the 2nd time. I just don't like OP Pokemons.
    Flygon is almost always in my team. He can learn Fly and has awesome typing. Really strong, helped me a lot.
    Never tried to use Altaria, it's just not my type of Pokemon.

Years
    I've used all three, but I think the one I used most was Altaria. I remember when I first got Ruby how difficult I found Winona's Altaria to be, and thought it would be a tough member on my team. At some point, I caught a Swablu and evolved it, and sure enough, Altaria was a key player, capable of taking down many foes. I personally feel it's underrated in-game-wise, not to mention it and its pre-evo. are adorable and fluffy <3

As for the other two, I've used Flygon at least once during a regular playthrough. It's pretty neat; love its design and typing. I think the main reason I haven't used it more is because it takes a while to evolve; given, it doesn't take as long as Salamence. Speaking of the dragon, I've never used Salamence in a playthrough, though I have trained one. I like its design and power, but it's difficult getting Bagon to its final stage, and there are plenty more Pokemon I can easily train to those levels. Thus, Salamence is a Pokemon I wouldn't consider using much for playthroughs.

Back