• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Same sex marriage..

Do you agree to same-sex marriage?

• Yes

Votes: 60 87.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 3 4.3%

• Total voters

Kakarot1212

Resident Programmer
    Years
    Same-sex marriage (also known as gay marriage) is marriage between two people of the same biological sex and/or gender identity. Legal recognition of same-sex marriage or the possibility to perform a same-sex marriage is sometimes referred to as marriage equality or equal marriage, particularly by supporters. The legalization of same-sex marriage is characterized as
    "redefining marriage" by many opponents.

According to Wikipedia, as of 9 May 2014, sixteen countries and several sub-national jurisdictions (parts of Mexico and the United States) allow same-sex couples to marry.

In our country, Philippines, this topic is not yet very well accepted to many, but many organizations fights for the right of same-sexed couples to be married.
    In your country, is it already accepted? Do you or do you not agree with this? I really want to know your side guys. :)

Very well then, DISCUSS!

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    My state is still against it, but overall my country is getting to the point where it's not as taboo as it once was. There a lot of people who are against it, but there are also a good number of others that are fine with it. To me, I don't see why people have such a big problem with it. You should be able to love who you love, and marry whomever you wanna marry, but I know it's disgusting to some people. Which is unfortunate and stupid, in my opinion. A lot of religions and beliefs, and family teachings teach about loving and understanding other people, but there are so many self-centered point of views.. :c

We don't whip out guns and shoot people because they're straight, so the same courtesy should apply to people who are gay, but what do I know.

I really hope that one day gay marriage is completely legal in the USA, or most of the world for that matter.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    I was born in a country where it's legal, I currently live in a country where it's legal, and I see it as normal as women suffrage or other things many of us have evolved into accepting. Because really, it's just the Government giving you bonus rights in exchange for creating a family, I don't see why the gender of the two people in question should matter.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    In my state, it's not legal, but like Yuri Lowell said, it's starting to become less taboo across the US, which is great. As someone who grew up under Christian beliefs and teachings through my life, I was taught to love and respect everyone. I was never taught this hatred that seems to burn in some Christians and it's something I'll never understand.

As far as I'm concerned, it's totally fine with me. I support it 100%! :) My biggest thing in life is that I want people to be happy. As long as you're not hurting anyone and you're happy, I support it. That's really my motto. Why anyone would ever want to get in the way of someone's happiness for selfish reasons such as their own personal religious (or even non-religious for that matter) beliefs is beyond me. The key word there is "personal." Your personal beliefs shouldn't have to hinder someone from happiness and love, especially an entire group of people. That's beyond ridiculous.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    One of the things I value more than anything else in my moral code is logical consistency; that is, if one thing is morally acceptable and another thing is similar to it, then barring extenuating circumstances that should be morally acceptable as well. This is what gay marriage falls under to me; there is no reason why it should be treated differently than straight marriage, no logical reason to separate the two, so I am pro.

I doubt there will be much discussion here on whether or not it's acceptable though, if only because those that believe it's not acceptable tend to do it on religious ground and there's not much debate to be had when there's no adherence to logic in the reasoning.

Years
    Quite frankly I don't care if gay people are allowed to get married or not. Before everyone jumps down my throat though, let me clear things up. If gay people suddenly are allowed to get married everywhere, that is fantastic and I'd be very happy not just for homosexual people I know but for gay people world wide and I think it is deplorable that homosexual couples don't have the same rights as heterosexual couples.

That might sound contradictory but basically the way I see it, as long as homosexual couples in a civil union or similar are allowed the same rights that are extended to married heterosexuals then I don't think it is really a big deal if they aren't allowed a religious marriage. Rather than focusing on the institution of marriage, I think it is more important that we focus on the rights and privileges that come with it (plus this approach can help with getting past hardcore religious nuts - kind of a win for everyone I guess).

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Quite frankly I don't care if gay people are allowed to get married or not. Before everyone jumps down my throat though, let me clear things up. If gay people suddenly are allowed to get married everywhere, that is fantastic and I'd be very happy not just for homosexual people I know but for gay people world wide and I think it is deplorable that homosexual couples don't have the same rights as heterosexual couples.

That might sound contradictory but basically the way I see it, as long as homosexual couples in a civil union or similar are allowed the same rights that are extended to married heterosexuals then I don't think it is really a big deal if they aren't allowed a religious marriage. Rather than focusing on the institution of marriage, I think it is more important that we focus on the rights and privileges that come with it (plus this approach can help with getting past hardcore religious nuts - kind of a win for everyone I guess).

The word "marriage" is no longer only religious. When people advocate for gay people to have civil unions while straight people have marriages, that extends to the law as well - unless you're saying that everyone should have civil unions under the law and send "marriage" back into the religious context it came from, which I'd be fine with. Not sure why that's not a more popular option as often the argument against it is that marriage is sacred, so taking it out of the legal realm and back into the religious would make everyone happy.

But not if one group gets marriage and the others get civil unions. That's separate but equal.

Years
    @Oryx - Sorry about that, my post was pretty poorly written. That is pretty much what I mean yes. I think that the way it should be is that marriage is strictly a religious domain but civil unions (for both heterosexual and homosexual couples) are a legal domain. Under that system though a couple who is married religiously should still be given the same rights and privileges as couples who are part of a non-religious civil union. That way everything is equal for everyone and the religions don't have to change, which let's face it they don't seem to want to. This would be the ideal way if you ask me, although I think that if this can't be achieved we should be complacent with separate but equal until society has evolved to the point where the ideal system can be put into effect.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    They should either legalize it for everyone or separate "marriage" into "religious marriage" (with no legal benefits) and some form of legal joining, like "legal spousehood" or something, which carries all the former "marriage" benefits.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Before you cry that I am denying your rights legally a spouse can be of either gender and have the same benefits. Fighting for an irrelevant label is extremely stupid, I won't support it.

This is patently false. In the majority of places, gay relationships cannot legally have the same benefits as straight relationships in the United States or the European Union (going state-by-state and country-by-country, respectively).

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
    Years
    I'm actually living in a State in the US where gay marriage is perfectly legal. I was pleasantly surprised to learn this, turns out it happened back in 2010. Unfortunately, because of this, I sometimes forget that other states are still treating this as an issue, it seems like such an obvious thing to have legal to me. So, yeah, I definitely believe it should be legalized everywhere in the US, at least.

Phantom1

[css-div="font-size: 12px; font-variant: small-cap
    Years
    It's recently legal in my state, just last year.

Obviously I am for it.

Thing is, it's not about civil union vs the word marriage. It's about equal rights. A civil union is not the same as marriage in the eyes of the law. They receive some benefits, but not all. It's about equality, not a word or religion. It's about being seen as a person, a person with a legal spouse, by the gov't.

Civil unions give simple graces, like hospital visiting privileges and shared property and estates. But a civil union is most assuredly not the equal of marriage. A civil union would not be recognized other states, as a marriage license is. Nor would a civil union be recognized by the federal government, but the state government only.

To sum up, civil unions are separate from marriages, all right, but they're scarcely equal. Marriage is a legal term now, not solely religious and shouldn't been seen as.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I would only have voting power in my own country, Australia, where civil unions and spousal recognition are present, therefore this is not relevant to me. The thread title is same sex "marriage". If it was about civil rights, not a ceremonial title I would care a little more, not much though.

But you talked about it as a solved issue - it is not solved. Just because it's solved in your immediate vicinity doesn't mean that people campaigning for it everywhere are looking for "revenge" and not just equality everywhere.

I'd also like to point out that by your logic, I should say I don't want you to get married because I know some deeply unpleasant straight people. But I can acknowledge that I shouldn't campaign to take away the rights of billions of people because the few hundred I met might have a large percentage of unpleasant people.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I really hope it's going to be one of those things people will look back on in class and be like "wow they only legalised it 30 years ago..."

At least Europe has been slowly making amends, except they're now arguing over revoking the legalisation *sigh* yet again, people whose opinion shouldn't matter, does, and they think it's okay to take away rights that harm nobody.

People try and claim it's just a title, and then when it's explained that it's not they choose not to listen. There's no reason to "debate" this anymore, religion and marriage are separate so that excuse can't be used anymore; it's been argued for years and there's really no good reason to go against it, the only thing opponents can come up with is "but I don't agree with it!" The west constantly demonizes countries in the middle east for their "barbaric" oppression whilst failing to justify it's own brand of oppression.

sort of regrettable that women are born not finding me Gods gift to them but whatever
    Straight women don't think this about you either.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    I would only have voting power in my own country, Australia, where civil unions and spousal recognition are present, therefore this is not relevant to me. The thread title is same sex "marriage". If it was about civil rights, not a ceremonial title I would care a little more, not much though.

In every country I've ever visited, including the U.S., Germany, Norway, Denmark and Sweden, marriage is regarded as a fundamental right, even though not specifically labeled as such in the Constitutions of those countries. So your labelling it as strictly a ceremonial title just doesn't fit with reality. Also marriage as an institution predate any and all religions. It was primarily about property rights (and still is to a good degree) and ensuring the legitimacy of one's offspring. Those claiming that marriage is a religious institution don't know their history very well.

lozzop

Monkey slut!
    Years
    Of course I am for gay marriage :) Everybody should be able to marry who they love, regardless of race, gender or beliefs. And I'm so glad that marriage between two people of the same gender has been made legal in the UK now, my aunt is planning her wedding at the moment.
    I don't want to live in a country where people can't get married because of their gender, which in my opinion is not an important variable of love. I want to grow up and be able to say to my friends and family that I've fallen in love with a girl and I want to marry her, and for them to not really care that she's not a dude.

So yeah I'm pro gay-marriage, if you want to fall in love then it's none of anybody's business but yours what gender the person you love is. Marriage is a right, not just a privilege for straight people.

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    Of course I am for gay marriage :) Everybody should be able to marry who they love, regardless of race, gender or beliefs. And I'm so glad that marriage between two people of the same gender has been made legal in the UK now, my aunt is planning her wedding at the moment.
    I don't want to live in a country where people can't get married because of their gender, which in my opinion is not an important variable of love. I want to grow up and be able to say to my friends and family that I've fallen in love with a girl and I want to marry her, and for them to not really care that she's not a dude.

So yeah I'm pro gay-marriage, if you want to fall in love then it's none of anybody's business but yours what gender the person you love is. Marriage is a right, not just a privilege for straight people.

It's easily apparent to me that you've already gown up, quite a bit more than some adults have.

Last edited:

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
    I'm for it. No reason two people shouldn't be able to get married just because they're the same gender. Common sense, really. To date, I haven't heard any good arguments against it, and most of them seem to boil down to "It makes me uncomfortable, so no one should be allowed to do it".

I've actually tried asking people who are against gay marriage "How will your life be negatively affected by the legalization of same sex marriage?" I have yet to get an answer.

Years
    Ahem, you can oppose gay marriage without shooting people. That type of persecution is not present in Western countries.
    Well ACTUALLY...

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2014/03/...s-gay-man-is-beaten-murdered-and-set-on-fire/
    https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2014/03/...ned-200-punching-gay-son-calling-dirty-queer/
    https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2014/03/...er-leaving-home-town-third-homophobic-attack/
    https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2014/03/...-lack-public-response-homophobic-attack-teen/
    https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2014/03/07/nyc-50-people-failed-help-homophobe-attacked-gay-couple/
    https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2014/03/...eye-socket-greenwich-village-anti-gay-attack/
    https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2014/04/14/uk-teen-found-guilty-of-stabbing-gay-man-in-heart/

... it is. Maybe not with a gun, but homophobic attacks are still widespread in the western world. Also, this is like the third or fourth time I've pointed this out to you in a debate thread so it'd be cool if you could listen.

It is socially acceptable to be with whomever you want
    No it's not. Also see the links above.

Fighting for an irrelevant label is extremely stupid, I won't support it. Just so you know I think religion is also stupid but they can have their marriage.
    Basically what Moogles said. You might be able to sit on your throne of straight privilege and call it an "irrelevant label", but it's far from it. Gay people aren't fighting for their partnerships to be called marriage, they're fighting for the actual rights that come with it which they are currently being denied. [State] marriage isn't just an arbitrary title.

If it would make gays feel better they could make their own unionship club where straights aren't invited.
    You really need to cut out these pissy comments. They do nothing but make you look like a raging homophobe.

Sopheria said:
    I've actually tried asking people who are against gay marriage "How will your life be negatively affected by the legalization of same sex marriage?" I have yet to get an answer.
    Most of the people against gay marriage (well, over here anyway) seem to be making the argument that children should have a male and female guardian and therefore no marriage for gay people. Which is ridiculous for a variety of reasons.

Back