• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Sea Mauville

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    So I'm not the only one who found this place really cool, right?

I thought it was just me, but it felt like this game had significantly better writing than the rest of the series. Sea Mauville pretty much sealed the deal.

If you haven't reached or explored Sea Mauville, I suggest you avoid the thread.

So let's talk about the brilliance of this place. The story of the cheating, the implied lesbian couples, Wattson's failure to help the environment, unemployment and overworking, the sudden appearance of Prof. Cozmo's father, Spiritomb, etc

It's all fascinating, and it was left to the player to figure it all out. That's brilliant. I really wish Game Freak told more stories like this, in places you have to find yourself.

It really sheds a whole new light on Wattson, to be fair. There are books dealing with unemployment, firings and employees that were horribly overworking and underpayed, and were forcefully obedient. There's even a mention of drinking drinks made from Seviper extracts, so the employees' health are really questionable. You feel bad for Wattson that his project failed despite his good intentions, but at the same time, you realize he's been treating his employees like absolute ****.

It's all so realistic, human and isn't some weird ghost story ****. (Spiritomb aside) I really appreciated this place.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Sea Mauville took me completely by surprise. I was expecting a copy-paste of it from Ruby/Sapphire but in 3D. Instead they completely re-did the design of the thing, inside and out, and gave it a whole backstory. I have to admit I was surprised and fascinated with the stories the old ship held, the not light-hearted story like there usually is; I didn't think that they'd ever try to put something in there like that again after Black/White.

I wouldn't call the writing in ORAS is best in the series, but it's WAAAAAAAY better than it was in the original Ruby/Sapphire. It's basically gone from being tied for the worst in the series to being the 2nd best (imo).

My only complaint with the whole Sea Mauville thing is that it's never expanded upon outside of the ship. I was hoping that New Mauville would do that, but it was rather disappointing.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    My only complaint with the whole Sea Mauville thing is that it's never expanded upon outside of the ship. I was hoping that New Mauville would do that, but it was rather disappointing.
    Actually, there's an old guy at Mauville that apparently worked at Sea Mauville who mentioned that he fired a guy. Months later he received a letter that came for the guy he fired because his family was worried about him, but it was after his firing. The guy didn't have the courage to tell the family the truth.

I'm sure there's more. I actually found that before I explored Sea Mauville.

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
  • Exploring the Sea Mauville was pretty good. I enjoyed finding a good amount of items to sell while checking the storage room. I think I only went back there once or twice after getting an item from Captain Stern. I also found something else about it so I will put it in a spoiler
    Spoiler:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Actually, there's an old guy at Mauville that apparently worked at Sea Mauville who mentioned that he fired a guy. Months later he received a letter that came for the guy he fired because his family was worried about him, but it was after his firing. The guy didn't have the courage to tell the family the truth.

I'm sure there's more. I actually found that before I explored Sea Mauville.
    Oh, I must've missed that guy. And I do hope that there's more things like that too. It'd be a shame if there wasn't.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
  • Sea Mauville surely took me. I imagined it'll be a copy-paste as well, but the mere sight of a tilted ship from far away made me think otherwise.

Plus, there's a story behind the place, unlike the abandoned ship of RSE. It makes visitting the place worth it.

Also, the treasure sidequest. The ending sure got me.

But man, when it began, all I want is the TM for Ice Beam in the Storage Room and I have to go back and forth a lot. I did not expect a treasure vault... or the fact that I could pick them all up. Did save me from a monetary crisis though.

Oh, I must've missed that guy. And I do hope that there's more things like that too. It'd be a shame if there wasn't.

He's at the Rooftop, the left side. You won't miss him 'cause he's sitting on the bench.

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen yesterday
    I was quite surprised with the quality of Sea Mauville.

To be honest, my favorite part of the whole thing is when you get to walk at an angle. {XD}

ShivaDF

The Scooter-riding Artist
    Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2017
    I loved everything about Sea Mauville, and I'm really glad the writers put it in the game. Children need to know about these issues.

I remember while reading the letters that I was thinking to myself
    Spoiler:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I remember while reading the letters that I was thinking to myself
    Spoiler:
    She's his laboratory assistant, though I suspect that she has feelings for Cozmo.

Dunnydude

Too Spooky
    Years
  • Sea Mauville was pretty much one of my favorite places in ORAS.
    I discovered every little thing you could find in this place, so unfortunately I don't have any reason to go back, but seeing it while I soar by always tempts me to stop there xD

KostK2Boss

Europe Confirmed!!!
    Years
  • The first time I went to Sea Mauville, I didn't pay too much attention to all the hidden journals and stuff, but after reading this thread I felt like going back to the place and trying to see it all for myself. Chibi Cozmo's letters were adorable and now it makes more sense why his father went out of his way to find the Skitty doll. Even though it doesn't make him any less of a horible person, it is kind of sweet. We also get some backstory for Wattson, Stern, Dock and the man who eventually became Mr. Bonding which is pretty nice too.
    I like how GF is aware of their adult fanbase and puts serious things like that in the games, while also keeping the overal bright and colorful atmosphere of the games intact.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Yeah, I kinda assumed she had a thing for him.

But yeah. Dang. Caught me by surprise too. Like others I came for the Ice Beam and was delighted with the layout (it really does look nice!) and the bits of stories left behind. Please tell more stories like this, Game Freak, maybe even a main plot to this level. :V I also appreciate the themes in it.

s0nido

turn up the engine
    Years
  • I really liked what I found at Sea Mauville. I went there to find the Beedrillite initially, and was thoroughly taken in by the writing done there. It seems like everything in the games associated with the word "Mauville" is tainted, somehow. Once you get to Mauville Hills, the same dark feeling emanates from there with all the mature themes being discussed.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Wow, I must've missed something while staying there. I didn't read anything about Mr. Bonding, or maybe I simply misread it since some words were snippets...
    Btw can you capture Spiritomb? I kept frighteningly going across the boat, afraid to run into it.

Also when battling Wattson his smile pre-battle kind of scared me. Now that I think about it perhaps his smile is...You guys don't think perhaps his perpetual smile is false? Perhaps he repents about what he did but doesn't show it...

I found the boat more difficult to navigate in Gen III compared to this generation's version of it, and out of all the places this one seemed to have the most different layout compared to the original (all Mauville related things are).
    I was pleased to see later in the game that Infinity Energy mentioned in the ship's diaries was mentioned. I had expected it to be saved for Z xD.

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
  • Wow, I must've missed something while staying there. I didn't read anything about Mr. Bonding, or maybe I simply misread it since some words were snippets...
    Btw can you capture Spiritomb? I kept frighteningly going across the boat, afraid to run into it.

Also when battling Wattson his smile pre-battle kind of scared me. Now that I think about it perhaps his smile is...You guys don't think perhaps his perpetual smile is false? Perhaps he repents about what he did but doesn't show it...

I found the boat more difficult to navigate in Gen III compared to this generation's version of it, and out of all the places this one seemed to have the most different layout compared to the original (all Mauville related things are).
    I was pleased to see later in the game that Infinity Energy mentioned in the ship's diaries was mentioned. I had expected it to be saved for Z xD.

Actually you can capture Spiritomb. It is found in the room where the Odd Keystone is mentioned. After reading where the Odd Keystone is mentioned, attempt to go to your bag. Then the Odd Keystone appears right behind you. Then you can proceed to battle and catch Spiritomb.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Actually you can capture Spiritomb. It is found in the room where the Odd Keystone is mentioned. After reading where the Odd Keystone is mentioned, attempt to go to your bag. Then the Odd Keystone appears right behind you. Then you can proceed to battle and catch Spiritomb.
    Thanks, I knew there had to someway to get it. I never would've figured that way out on my own. I must say that is down right creepy.

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
    Years
  • I genuinely thought that I had forgotten more about that abandoned ship than I realised upon reaching it in the remakes. Then I learned that they had fleshed it out a lot more, which was quite unexpected! More reason to like the remakes. Can't wait until I go and face *you know what* there. :)

Rylee Xylph

Fairy Tale Boy
    Years
  • I really enjoyed the Sea Mauville subplot! In a way it harkens back to the diary notes in Cinnabar's burnt out mansion, only it's even more heart wrenching.

Fantastic piece of worldbuilding IMHO

Years
  • Am I the only person who preferred SS Cactus over Sea Mauville.
    I like the idea of a ship that ran aground and was abandoned for nature.
    Whereas am not sure what Sea Mauville is meant to be is it an oil/gas type rig or some kind of converted ship.
    I was really expecting an epic story after reading this thread but went back and looked around properly and was a bit underwhelmed reading the notes etc.

Back