• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Search Engines

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • By Search Engines, I mean websites such as Google, Yahoo, or even Ask!

Which of course the obvious question here is, which search engines do you use and why? But here's another question: why do you prefer that particular search engine over the others? And that being said, which search engines would you detest using, and if you had the power on changing the layout, schematics, or anything else you can think of about a particular search engine, what would you change and why?

How about for particular and specific things like GIFs and other images - do you use a particular search engine to find good, quality images for example.. tumblr's search engine, or maybe even photobucket's? Feel free to share any thoughts!

For example, some years ago, I used to use Yahoo's search engine, but I found it became infested with Ads and such and so it became pretty slow with my computer, ugh. Still though, it wasn't bad, but, it became such a chore to even load up. Which lead me to Google's search engine, and it's pretty much the website that I use for stuff. Well, other than GIFs images, in which I use tumblr for that, haha.

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2015
    I mainly use Google because the other search engines I find don't tell you everything and they miss out on some searches plus I also use Google whenever my internet goes just to see when my internet is back. I don't really use BING (Because It's Not Google) just for that reason lol, I never really used BING at all.

Years
  • I use Google because...really, because it's just what I've been using. The layout is just something I've gotten used to over the years, and it's odd going anywhere else. Plus I feel like of all the search engines I've used, Google seems to be the most comprehensive, like I'd have the best chance of finding something on Google even if it's really obscure. Not sure if that's true or not, but it's been my experience over the years.

Yahoo! search is also decent, but I feel has too much other clutter going on, and I was never interested in Bing. Too much pushing from Microsoft in the form of commercials has turned me off even trying it. I guess there's also DuckDuckGo, but I've never tried that as I haven't ever felt a need to do so.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I'm using ddg all the time. Thankfully it allows searching through other search engines, especially Google, as well. I've tried a couple other search engines as well, but most of them just can't come up with the results I'm looking for.

Years
  • Well, I've been a Google user for years, before Google started offering all of these extra products and becoming more prominent in real life.

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
    Years
  • I use duck duck go for privacy reasons - I later discovered the convenience of their short cut system. Sometimes it doesn't give the results I want so I go to Google.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • I've been using Google for years. I certainly wish search engines didn't have to use auto-lists for whatever first few letters you've typed and save what you've recently searched, because it messes things up, and some of you don't want others to see what you were looking. *wink wink*

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • I just use google. I'm used it and know it really well. So, I use it all of the time when searching various things. It can frustrate me at times though. I don't really know why I don't like other search engines. I'm also the kind of person who likes things to stay the same, so I wouldn't really change anything.

I feel like I get better results from google than others. I don't know why, but it's just how I think. *shrug*

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • I refuse to use anything except Google. I used to use one with a dog on it but Google still gives me consistently good results.

Omicron

the day was mine
    Years
  • Google for me. I love Google. It is, in my opinion, undoubtedly the best search engine.

Never heard of DuckDuckGo before, I'll go check it out right now.

Years
  • I always use Google, since it's the most reliable and it can give you more than just a search engine. It has its own social media, e-mail and of course YouTube.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • Lately I'm using DuckDuckGo because of privacy, even though I still use Google at times, because usually Google is one of the most reliable in terms of search engines.

Years
  • Google is the most basic search engine, but it's by far the one I get the most usage out of since my home page is set to it, i'm like hey why not. But Safari's URL bar searches at Yahoo, which I don't prefer.

Years
  • Joining the Google bandwagon. It's basic and simple plus very very fast; I've no need to use anything else, really. DuckDuckGo was a brief option when mentioned in the last thread but I just couldn't stick with it with how long I've been using Google. Probably impossible to pull away at this point. ;(

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    For a good amount of time, I was with Yahoo.

One reason behind me siding with this particular search engine is because, well, back then (I'm sorry if my post gets a little off-topic here), I used to have a Yahoo e-mail address which I'd actively use, and due to that, I did find myself kind of sticking to them. Their website seemed to have a lot of other things incorporated here and there as well, such as news, music, videos, and so forth, which was definitely a nice touch.

Eventually, however, my Yahoo account began to receive spam mails, and after a while, I'd grown tired and decided to do something, with two of my options being either to create a brand new profile, or try some other site to see if they're any more safe. This had led me to Google; once I was there, thanks to them seemingly being more secure and whatnot, I instantly started to use this site for more or less everything, including searching.

Aurora

seven years here and i finally figure out how to d
    Years
  • The Ask toolbar is literal cancer (making the search engine guilty by association), Bing has nowhere near as comprehensive an index as some other search engines, and Yahoo! is both literal cancer and devoid of a comprehensive index.

That's why I use Google.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
  • Back in the time I used NorthernLights. It was cute and fast. Again, for the time.

Nowadays I most of the time use Ixquick aka Startpage, which is basically Google without the tracking and privacy violations. That's for general searching; when I need topical searching I switch to DDG or to any of a predefined set of search "bangs" for various domains such as Wikipedia, Bulbagarden, Wolfram Alpha or IMDB.

Back