• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Secret Bases!

Apollo

怖がらないで
Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    Secret bases were, for me, one of the aspects that made R/S/E a fun, lively game. It made you feel close to nature which was the main theme of the games: interaction of humans and Pokemon with nature. Once you get the TM Secret Base, you're free to convert certain areas into secret bases.

What did you think about Secret Bases? Did you have a Secret Base? If so, where is it located?
    (Hopefully this link can help you remember!)

I can say that I've had a lot of secret bases! I always thought of them as the second home for my player character, like some place to unwind and relax. Accessories for my base were one of my priorities back then and I would always buy them when I get the chance. I remember the place where I kept my base the longest -- it was somewhere on the routes near Fortree. It had very tall grass protecting it, and yeah. :)

(Mods: feel free to move/lock/delete this thread!)

ObnoxiousOboe

The Musical Psychic
    Years
  • I liked the idea of Secret Bases because it is a lot like camping, and it make item storage a lot more convenient. I used to have a lot of them, but I think Route 111 (or the entire Mt. Chimney area) was the best area for them.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I loved this feature, and was really upset that it didn't make it to future games... well, it sort of did in D/P/Pt with underground tunnels and such, but... it just didn't have that same feeling, y'know? Anyway, I'm not exactly sure where my base was location, but I do remember it being quite big. I used to customize it a lot and move stuff around from here to there almost every day, haha. One of my most favorite thing about secret bases is that once you mix record with another player, they get added into your game; you could visit them in their base whenever you wanted and have a match. Battling them gave you experience, too, if I remember correctly, so it was a really good way to level-up your Pokémon. :]

Mesmerella

Preschooler
    Years
  • I loved secret bases!!! My favorite one that I ever had was on Route 115, in the area that is only accessible by surfing from Rustboro. C: It was really big, because I was lucky enough to have a Lilycove Department Store sale, so I could get some boards to cover the holes in there! I also loved how you could mix records with other players and see their bases... I remember I mixed records with my nephew, and I was unable to beat his trainer, since the first Pokemon in his party was a level 100 Swampert. XD

Mochika Rage

sickening, no?
    Years
    • uk
    • Seen Oct 1, 2017
    I loved them and was very sad to see that they didn't make it to the later games. I can't remember where mine was, as it was a very long time ago, but I hope that one day they will be implemented into a game, or if they make Pokémon emerald on 3DS, they definitely shouldn't forget that feature.

Years
  • I used to absolutely love the Secret Base feature of RSE. There were a handful of kids in my school who also played those Pokémon games (literally, two other kids), and it was awesome once we'd figured out that our Secret Bases transferred to each others games and we could battle each other daily for a tonne of experience. For me it was nice, because the fact that there were no real uber-trainers (like Red in GSC) to defeat in RSE (except Steven in Emerald) after the league was done was something I missed. This way, I could mix records with friends when they had an outrageously strong team, and just train against them every day. And it was pretty fun to discover the crazy big/fun items that you could put in there.

I think my favourite place used to be the tree on Route 114, on the left side. It was a nice symmetrical base, and reasonably spacey. I used to use the Note tiles to make little melodies as you entered and exited the base. :)

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
    Years
  • In the later years I've never really cared too much for the secret bases, since I usually try to save up my money for healing items for the E4 during the main playthrough, and often don't end up doing much in the post-game, thus never really getting around to actually doing anything with the secret bases. I used to really like decorating them when I was younger though, along with my friends, and we'd usually compare our bases to see who we thought had the coolest one. It often meant a lot of pokedollars blown on decoration though, haha. We quickly got bored with them though, so it often meant a few gaps between comparing the bases.

I can't quite remember which one that was my favourite, but I remember I'd usually just go looking for the largest one, which meant even more money spent on the base, due to more space to fill out, haha.

I used to absolutely love the Secret Base feature of RSE. There were a handful of kids in my school who also played those Pokémon games (literally, two other kids), and it was awesome once we'd figured out that our Secret Bases transferred to each others games and we could battle each other daily for a tonne of experience. For me it was nice, because the fact that there were no real uber-trainers (like Red in GSC) to defeat in RSE (except Steven in Emerald) after the league was done was something I missed. This way, I could mix records with friends when they had an outrageously strong team, and just train against them every day.
    I had no idea this was actually a thing :o I never really knew what mixing records actually did, but if I'd known it meant battling my friends and gaining experience at the same time, I'd definitely had utilized it. It's kiiinda too late now though, but that's awesome!

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
    Years
  • I think my secret base was on the island where I caught my one and only Feebas. But I don't really remember anything other than that. I just know that I didn't add that much to it and my friends always had better ones than me.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I always made one in a place by the water like east of Fortree by the Kecleon. But after I made it I usually never game back or put anything in it haha.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • I always built mine in the far northwestern corner of Rt.119...the grass pile that requires Waterfall and extensive use of the Acro Bike to even get to. XD

Since decorations were fairly limited in R/S/E, I never really fully decorated it. XD

...just another reasin why I'm so hungry for a Hoenn remake. :P

DanZC

Pokemon Trainer Dan
    Years
    • Seen May 13, 2018
    My favorite place to put my Secret Base was on Route 116 in the small opening area with the BlackGlasses trainer, because the area seems very easy to miss. I don't think anyone I mixed records with ever found my base.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
    Years
  • I always loved making secret bases :P The usual spot where I always make it is in the tree on the small island below Mauville City near New Mauville. I find that place really unique for some reason haha. It's really spacious as well!

Spoiler:

Yeah, you see that small island right below the north cycling gate? The one with the only tree and the sign on it? That's the place!

I always bought decorations for my base in the Slateport marketplace such as mats, Pokemon dolls, tables and chairs. I spend quite some time there whenever I can. It's kinda like a private little place for me to chill and hang out with myself.

Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2023
    i love secret bases, my favorite one was right of fortree city, where the kecleon is, i decorated almost once a week band new with a certain moto.

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
    Years
  • OMG I absolutely loved the Secret Base aspect in these games!! :3 I always made one immediately when I got the TM Secret Power ^_^ Most of the time you could find my Secret Base in a cave thingy near a beach or water ;) I just liked the view :3

I crammed it with cute dolls, posters, a desk and other fun stuff like a tent or a slide (rofl). When I got my first Clear Out Sale in the game (after the league, you could buy the most amazing stuff for your Secret Base), I bought the whole place out immediately I was like a kid in a candy store! xD

I was also happy that this aspect kinda returned in the Gen.4 games, where you could make a base in Sinnoh Underground (heck, even with a TV!), too bad this didn't return in Gen.6, hopefully it will in the future! :3

Zorogami

WUB WUB
    Years
  • Secret Bases were AWESOME!! I really wish they would bring them back in some way or another in future games...or in the RSE Remakes! I loved to find new spots where i could create my secret base, and no matter how happy i was with a place, whenever i found a new spot i had to try it out and see :D I especially liked the ones in trees, and if possible close to some body of water.

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    I really liked them, it's a shame some kid stole my Pokemon game and Gameboy in 2nd grade. ♥♥♥♥ that kid... Well anyways it's really cool, too bad I play on an emulator.

pyx

I will never repeat myself... I will never repeat
    Years
  • Secret bases were awesome! I really wish they would have kept them throughout the series :( Anyway, you could find my secret base in the desert area, you had to use the mach bike to get there. I had like every prop available XD including those glass tables and chairs that you had to walk through the ashes to get. I actually still have my secret base, I never reset my game so its still on my old emerald game.

Back