• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Secret Bases!

Universe

all-consuming
Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016
    I really loved the secret bases in Hoenn.

When I first discovered them in the game I was so amazed that I could make my own little spot in different places within nature. I always chose to place mine inside of trees because the inside looked the best to me. I love this aspect and all but sadly I never really made use out of it in my games.

I'd use it for a little while then forget about it entirely. ;A; It's probably because I wasn't so good about decorating or getting furniture as a kid...

I really need to go back and try to make an actually good base for a change... OTL;

Rayquaza2016

Hardcore Hydreigon Fan
    Years
  • I like Secret Bases.

Mine is at the south of the Mauville City and the Cycling Road. Near New Mauville, on the little island.

Years
  • Secret bases remain one of my favorite features in Pokemon to this day. It was a little confusing for me at first, but once I got the hang of it, I was hooked. Decorating for hours on end, I slaved over my various bases to make them as pretty and comfortable as possible. Although I sometimes regret spending so much time on a rather useless feature, it was nice to have a kind of building mechanic in a Pokemon game.

Cornflowerblues

Waterdancer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2014
    One of the best features ever, indeed. They aren't very useful but they are fun.
    Now that I restarted Sapphire, I still need to decide on a nice spot.
    I want somewhere by the ocean but with berry trees nearby. I'll be scouting ;)

Years
  • It's definitely a feature I hope to see return/be expanded on in the remakes. I really liked how when you did a record mix with someone they would appear in their secret base with their team for you to challenge. There is some great potential now we can connect our devices to the internet. I'd love to get dozens of other people's bases in my game with trainers for me to challenge.

bewbs

~Chloe~
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    I loved the secret bases. In partciluar I also liked how you could mix people's records and go to their secret bases and battle them and get experiance points. Looking back now it sounds like a great way to ev train a pokemon if you can set it up right.

I had so much fun on the musical tiles. Trying to play songs with the notes. And the dolls. Now my bedroom looks more like my secret base.

AluminiumOxide

Aka Ansirent
    Years
  • Yeah i agree that secret base made ruby sapphire and emerald a gold time games. But i was not sooo excited about the secret base. I used to live a while in a secret base. To store my dolls and toys and cution etc. It was a great day. And then i got it little boring.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    Oh God I still act as thought the Secret Bases are my houses in Hoenn. I get one in particular every single time and always decorate it the exact same way lol. The Secret Basses were just so cute, and I love pretending like I'm actually in the game while in one just lazing around in there watching TV on my Skitty shaped TV while laying on my giant Wailmer Doll. <3

tumblr_n2piq23aDz1tw4363o1_250.png

Years
  • I loved the idea of Secret Bases; last I recall, my SB in Ruby and Emerald are on the beach near Mauville, on the side where Fortree and Lilycove and all those places are. Loved decorating them a lot; I'd have at least a billion plushes in them XD (Well, more like three--loved having all three Hoenn starter plushes in it.) I also liked being able to go to others' Secret Bases and battling them/seeing how theirs were laid out; however, I lacked a GBA Link Cable and was nearing that point where other people around my age were starting to dislike Pokemon, so I didn't have many people I could mix records with :<

Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2023
    Secret bases are luv. Secret bases are lyf

Never really went into them that much, but I did definitely have one. It was the one near the entrance of that place where you could catch Solrock/Lunatone, haha. Probably the most common one >_<

Dying Light

Pegasus Knight
    Years
  • I honestly do not remember where my secret base was... if I played again I might remember though.

The secret base aspect was fun, even though at the time I only had one friend who could find mine. I really like customizing rooms and such, and it's a shame that the feature no longer exists, at least in the form I would like. Yeah, we had the Underground in D/P/Pt, but that didn't seem as fun.

If we had Nintendo WFC in R/S/E era, I think potential would be limitless. But alas, that's why I keep my GBA around.

Years
  • Oh man, secret bases were awesome. It really sucks that they got rid of them, they were really cool. Sure, there was the underground in D/P/P, but it didn't have the same feel to it. I really hope they bring them back in OR/AS. ^^

Pulsefire

The Prodigal Explorer
    Years
  • I loved making secret bases. Only thing that made me mad was that
    I could use it to heal my Pokemon. That would have been awesome.
    However, I can see why they didn't make that a feature, you could
    just easily cheat the game by level grinding and healing. For my
    personal reasons, I'd have liked it so I didn't have to go back to
    the Pokemon center constantly when I was in the routes.

I usually set mine up with a 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 combo.
    One Third for Fire, One Third for Ice/Water, and One Third for Grass.
    Was a great way to be a bit artistic in game.
    R/S/E
    Can you guess which types were associated to which game?

dresden_88

Warden
    Years
  • I freaking LOVE the secret bases! currently, my secret base is between meteor falls and fallarbor town, next to the kindler guy (cant remember his name). the inside of the base looks like a giant spiral shape. I get sort of Stircrazy after a while and migrate from place to place at least once a week and redesign my base every time, trying to get that perfect look to it. I used to say red/blue (or in this case) FrLg was the absolute best of them all, until I discovered RSE, they've captured my full attention and I have no desire to move ahead or back to any generations. BEST GEN EVER!

Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2014
    I loved the Secret Bases. The fact that you could make your own, personalized little space almost anywhere was so appealing. I used to look everywhere to find the most isolated bases on Hoenn and I usually chose the northernmost base on the map that needs waterfall and the acro bike :D. My favorite decorations were the glass ornament from the contests and the plants from the flower shop and in fortree (also spent a little too much time collecting ashes lol). Unfortunately I didn't have the opportunity to share records with anyone haha. From jumping straight from Gen. 3 to Gen.6 I was really upset and nostalgic to see it didn't survive; I'm rooting for RES to be remade :D.

Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2023
    I thought secret bases were awesome. I always tried to make my secret base in a tree and somewhat isolated. For me the perfect secret base would be a tree or bush, in its own little niche, and somewhat hard to notice but walking distance within a city. The bush near the pond west of lilycove was my base for a while but im still looking for a new one.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    I remember as kids, my cousin and I would trade each other's pokemon and level them up and trade them back to each other. Doing so made us want to try mixing records and we ended up getting each other's secret bases. I was always jealous of my cousin because he would always get more achievements done in Ruby than I did in Sapphire so he got all the cool furniture for his secret base. I still loved being able to battle his pokemon even when we weren't hanging out thanks to having his secret base in my save file.

Pterosauria

Not a dinosaur
    Years
  • Ahh, I remember the bases. Mine was usually in that rainy, grassy patch near Fortree. When I was younger, my friends and I got together and made gyms out of our secret bases. It was awesome.

Back