• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

September Spriting Contest - Discussion Thread

Izzy

=O
Years
    • Seen May 31, 2006
    I honestly do not see how hard it would be to go to google, type "final fantasy <insert number here>" in google image searches @_@

Well... anyways. Super Heroes is a nice theme.. good break from all the mont themed ones. :X

Ionem

.biomechanic.
    Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2005
    What the ****? Changing the **** topic because some people can't use google?

I don't play Final Fantasy. I don't like Final Fantasy. I don't consider it a real RPG. But still, who has honeslty never even heard of it? Especially here, at a site based on games.

I don't have the time to make a new sprite, and while I do know that it will be accepted, I really don't think that it's right to completely change it.

Why not change the theme to Popular Console RPGs or something instead of superheroesp, whish is way too far from the original. Hell, it's too late now, but wouldn't simply broadening it have been better?

At least put FF in parentheses in the thread after the theme, so people don't get congused and think that I'm an idiot for turning Exeggutor into Cloud.

Forest Grovyle

Resident Reptilian Artist
    Years
  • In a situation like this it's virtually impossible to please everyone, and changing the theme for a third time would only confuse and possibly annoy people. Apologies to those who already made FF-based sprites - as I've said, they will be accepted as well if you've already made them so your work doesn't go unnoticed.

I think it's best and safest to stick with the current theme so that everyone knows what it is, and continue from here. If you'd like to ask any questions, PM me, but please try to keep further discussion of the theme out of this thread as it could lead to flaming.

--FG

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jun 2, 2014
    I finished my entry. It's obviously inspired by Calvin & Hobbes. Here it is again for those of you who don't feel like going over to the other thread.

Izzy

=O
    Years
    • Seen May 31, 2006
    Allstories said:
    I finished my entry. It's obviously inspired by Calvin & Hobbes. Here it is again for those of you who don't feel like going over to the other thread.

Aww :( I was going to do Calvin in his stupendous man outfit.. he's so cool @_@

Izzy

=O
    Years
    • Seen May 31, 2006
    I'm not allowed? Aww... but it was so fun.. :(

*pokes ideas*
    I still don't know what to do.. :P

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 19, 2016
    My entry (yes, another morph entry) is based on a superhero MMORPG char of mine.

gothsinn23

PC's Biggest Terra Fan. ^^
    Years
  • Allstories said:

-Mouth is agape- Aw man, that makes mine look like roadkill. That's just awesome..

Hehe, it's a good thing I made my sprite after the topic was changed. If you wanna see him, go ahead and check the entry thread. His name is Super-cross. ^^ Hehe, corny.

Ionem

.biomechanic.
    Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2005
    Thanks for editing the line about how it was previously final fantasy. That's all I wanted, just do people don't think I don't know what a superhero is. :x

By the way...

I don't know, but it looks like the picutre was justt aken and pixelated. I really don't want to seem like a **** or anything, and it is an awesome job, but still, should that really be allowed in a sprite contest like this against people that are doing more original things or actual sprite edits?

Edit:

Upon further inspection, it does look like the image may have only been used for reference, but still...

Meh. Maybe it's just me. :x

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jun 2, 2014
    Even if I used an image as a reference, I fail to see how it's anywhere near as unoriginal as recolors or edits of existing Pok?mon sprites, which account for about 90% of the sprites on this site. Sorry, you don't get to out-complain me.

EDIT: Ah-ah. I see the confusion. Yes, I used the picture for reference, but did it completely from scratch in Paint with lots of help from the curved line tool.

Last edited:

Dragon Lover

Oooh, words under my name.
    Years
  • Allstories that sprite makes mine look like a recolour of a Pikachu from a person who only uses default colours =P

I made one and it's entirely based on body pats from the games, Flannery's leags, Brawly's hair due [Couldn't resist XD], guitar dudes head, lance's cape and arms and Normans body. I might make another one, possibly my secong scratch sprite since they look awsome...

Random:
    Oreos and cheese don't match.

~DL~

Ionem

.biomechanic.
    Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2005
    I just think that a spriting contest should be limited to sprites...

(and don't give me bull**** about sprites can be any size. Yeah, they can, but things like that aren't sprites.)

Really, don't get me wrong. I'm not going to deny the awesomeness of that. Especially now that I see that the picture was only ued for reference. I like it a lot and I respect your work. I'm not a totally bad guy. ;)

But, I dunno, I mean, to a spriter like me, I see making huge images using the curved line tool and stuff as not fair to those of us who actually draw the ting, zoomed in 8x, with the pencil tool, going pixel by pixel. I mean, isn't that the essence of spritework?

I've noticed that lots of you people here deny that pixel art and spriting can be different. You're both wrong and right. Spriting is a form of pixel art, and as such, pixel art can often be seen as spriting. But really, actual spriting is getting into the nitty-gritty and not using any sorts of "tools".

Meh, whatever. I'm probably just in a grumpy mood. :\

Back