• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sequels or Remakes?

Years
    I feel most of the cameos in S/M felt like they added nothing to the plot, like Grimsley. And considering US/UM is marketed as an "alternate universe" I can't see how that will be addressed.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    The fact that the player starts at the same house as the one in in the original SuMo means that its not a sequal, unfortunatelly..

And this from the official site confirms that they are the same player characters from Sun and Moon-
    The look of the main characters' outfits has changed from the first trip through the Alola region—just in time for them to begin a new adventure! Choose the Pokémon that will become your partner, and set out on a journey through the world of Alola!

Aka the same as Brandon and May getting new outfits and Emerald, and Dawn and Lukas getting new outfits in Platinum.

And then there's this- Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon have been powered up with new additions to the story and features of Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon! These titles are coming to the Nintendo 3DS family of systems on November 17, 2017.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    So this is a third version. I guess i can get back into third versions. I loved emerald and platinum.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    So this is a third version. I guess i can get back into third versions. I loved emerald and platinum.
    As did I!

Fun fact: This will be the first time since Crystal that the 'third version' doesn't have a dragon mascot. Even if one includes the Gen V sequels, that's still the case xD. Unless, if the mascots suddenly gained the dragon typing :/ xD.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    As did I!

Fun fact: This will be the first time since Crystal that the 'third version' doesn't have a dragon mascot. Even if one includes the Gen V sequels, that's still the case xD. Unless, if the mascots suddenly gained the dragon typing :/ xD.

Well is it really a third version if there's 2 versions? :p
    More like 3rd and 4th :p

Years
    I think it's fair to say US/UM is a third version and a sequel in one. The protagonists aren't completely new, but just the S/M protagonists with new outfits. The last time that happened within games of the same generation was Lucas and Dawn's outfit changes between D/P and Platinum.

However, US/UM is following an entirely different story, much like B2/W2 had a very different main story from S/M.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    I think it's fair to say US/UM is a third version and a sequel in one. The protagonists aren't completely new, but just the S/M protagonists with new outfits. The last time that happened within games of the same generation was Lucas and Dawn's outfit changes between D/P and Platinum.

However, US/UM is following an entirely different story, much like B2/W2 had a very different main story from S/M.
    That seems a bit farfetch'd to me. A third version and a sequel? That doesn't seem possible to me. It sounds really weird.

Just notice the thread title is wrong. It should say sequels or third versions. Third versions and remakes are not the same. That is fact.

Last edited:

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    not sure why we always have to categorize these things. why can't they just be an unconnected game that also happens to be set in Alola, not like that's kind of what they told us anyway.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    not sure why we always have to categorize these things. why can't they just be an unconnected game that also happens to be set in Alola, not like that's kind of what they told us anyway.

That's what it seems like to me. You can't really describe it with any of the current terms.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    I've heard it referred to as a "Director's cut" which also makes sense. Third versions would fit under that as well.

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
    Colress had nothing to do with the Kyurem fusions. Drayden's family passed down the DNA Splicers generation after generation.

Finally somebody pointed this out. People forget that the DNA splicers didn't originate with Team Plasma to begin with, they were stolen from Drayden who had it in his family.

Regarding 3rd versions, here's an interesting thought. Emerald and Platinum had all 3 Pokemon of their Legendary Trios play a part in the story. USUM seems to be pulling a BW2 in that there is only 2 Legendaries out of the 3 that are playing a part. If USUM were a singular game with Solgaleo, Lunala, and Necrozma in it, then I would consider it a true "3rd version". If the storyline is totally different than in SM, that would deviate it even further away from being a 3rd version. It would be an entirely alternate game, I think.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    Remakes - games remade from originals that are no longer compatible with the current ones.

Third versions - an enhanced version from the first pair of games of their respective generation.

Remakes and third versions are two different things. This is fact. USUM are more third versions than sequels as they do not have events that are year apart from SM. USUM are not remakes.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Third versions are really only a pokemon thing. Any other series would probably call it a "remaster" or something.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    Third versions are really only a pokemon thing. Any other series would probably call it a "remaster" or something.
    I don't agree but i leave it at that. Anyway USUM won't have the story a year after the original since this games have an alternate story.

Phyrrhic

It's not very effective...
    Years
    I like Mudkip's "Directors Cut" idea. It seems like the game will be a remake, with some parts following up on the events of the original.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    I like Mudkip's "Directors Cut" idea. It seems like the game will be a remake, with some parts following up on the events of the original.
    No it isn't. Remakes are games like FRLG, HGSS & ORAS. USUM are not remakes and not sequels. That is fact. The events in USUM are not following up from SM. USUM has an alternate story. That is it.

Back