• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sequels or Remakes?

KillerTyphlosion

Champion
Years
  • From the way masuda talks about the games, it seem to be like the old 3rd versions. Same world , alternative story. The character shown is even the same character, so no way it's a sequel. Just like the old 3rd versions, new clothes, some small modifications and that's probably it.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • From the way masuda talks about the games, it seem to be like the old 3rd versions. Same world , alternative story. The character shown is even the same character, so no way it's a sequel. Just like the old 3rd versions, new clothes, some small modifications and that's probably it.

This is what I'm expecting.

Hopefully the story includes the Ultra beasts more. I wonder if these could be Solgaleo and Lunala reverting back to their Ultra beast form... Maybe Necrozma was created from something they casted away to adapt to the Pokeworld.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Alternate storyline does sound questionable, but I suppose it could equally mean it is a sequel with a different focus. Interesting to see it's two games rather than one in regards to the whole third game concept.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    If it's an alternate reality then a part of me wants to see Guzma as the professor and Kukui as the leader of Team Skull. I think it would be interesting to see old characters with altered histories.

I know it sounds like a cheesy fanfic but I think it could be good anyway. Alternate reality is your chance to shake things up so you might as well take it and run with it.

TequitoClown

Swim swim. Swim sw- Tentacool
    Years
  • I'm pretty sure he said it's an alternate story? Given the wormholes, maybe it's an alternate reality? Hmm... I'm excited to find out =D

This all day! If I had to place my bets down, it's not either. It's another "universe." A remake this early would be... boring to me. Same story, but with necrozma? Eh. Remakes would be cool, seeing how all your friends grew through the years after the events of the first game. I'm going with with this being a "but what if ___ happened instead of ___?" story. Very interesting to think about, but it might be too early to tell right now.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    They're not sequels guys. If they were they would've made it clear from the get-go. The wording used in the Direct far more implies something like Emerald or Platinum, but with two versions.

Or, possibly, what we should've gotten November last year.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    I think remake is the wrong word here. Third version might be better, even though it's two of them.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Because "alternate" is the word being used, they're more than likely to be third versions. By definition, "alternate" implies a different version of something; you'd never use "alternate" as a synonym for "sequel," which is something that takes place after a series of events.

Compare this to B2W2, which made a lot of effort to clarify that they were sequels and not "third versions" or "retellings" of BW during its pre-release period--although the "2" in the titles should have made it clear. I would think if USUM were real sequels, that would be made clear from the get-go.

These are definitely looking to be third versions, but split into two--likely to maintain the "day-night" cycle difference between Sun and Moon.

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
    Years
  • As Colours mentioned, I believe this isn't remake but its also not a sequel, at least with current knowledge. IT's got a similar vibe to BW2 of course, with the two games and the fusion of what is most certainly Necrozma with the SM mascots. The problem with it being sequels is that, as of now, there has been no indication that these games occur after the events of SM. In addition, in the previous sequels, BW2, there was an antagonist that was present in the first games, Ghetsis. In SM, all the main antagonists were dealt with in some way, Lusamine is in KAnto, Gladion is reforming Aether and Guzma, besides the fact he isn't capable of hatching such a plan in the mold of Lusamine, Ghetsis, Cyrus, etc..., is on the road to reform, kind've. So where could the new antagonist come from? Plumeria is a possibility though unlikely since she was pretty loyal to guzma and mainly just wanted to protect her "brothers and sisters". Faba seems a bit more likely but with Gladion keeping a close eye and Faba not being as sharp as you'd expect, I find this route unlikely as well. So unless the plan is to change Plumeria and Faba's personality as well as expand their role/introduce a completely new character, the direct sequel route seems very unlikely to me.

As for it being a remake, besides it being way too early compared to previous remakes, the phrase "alternate storyline" holds a lot of meaning. Now Platinum, Emerald, and Crystal are all technically alternate storylines, features stayed the same pretty much besides the sootopolis gym leader/champion situation. In addition, it was made a point to say it was an alternate storyline, which leads me to believe it will be very similar to SM but with changes such as, (this is an example and not what I think exactly) gym leaders instead of trials (bad example but makes my point). The best I can explain this is through a comparison to The Flash and Legends of Tomorrow TV shows. I like to think US/UM are going to be on a different timeline, like ORAS was in comparison to RSE.

Simply put, I see these games as existing on a timeline separate from SM (maybe the same one as ORAS?) with enough changes to seem like a sequel a la BW2 but enough similarities that call back to its originals a la ORAS.

As such, I think this will essentially be a a third version but with two version of said third version. In addition, as some have noticed the characters look a bit different, so this is where my alternate timeline piece comes in.

Hope that all made sense, I'm still trying to wrap my head around some bits of this too :)

Edit: I think Rivvon, evil chameleon and others explained this as well but in a lot less words than myself, as I definitely overexplained xD

Last edited:
    Years
  • They outright said it was an alternate story, showed the same protagonists with slightly different appearances (if it's not them then there's some seriously bad character designing going on here), and showed the protagonists coming out of the same house on Route 1.

Pretty sure it's the old obligatory third version but split into two separate games because gimmicks. And, like what has already been said, what we should have got in November in the first place.

smocks

fiat lux
    Years
  • I personally feel like its clearly a sequel, especially coming right after the release of SM.

SM's storyline kinda gave us a cliff hanger of Lillie going off to Kanto & Hau going off to train (same as Gladion). Plus, with the newly released photos of Gladion in Aether attire just scream SEQUEL to me.

Years
  • I personally feel like its clearly a sequel, especially coming right after the release of SM.

SM's storyline kinda gave us a cliff hanger of Lillie going off to Kanto & Hau going off to train (same as Gladion). Plus, with the newly released photos of Gladion in Aether attire just scream SEQUEL to me.

That pic of Gladion was unfortunately confirmed fake, for now.

Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2017
    I definitely think that they're going to be third installments similar to Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, and Platinum. If they were sequels, they would have a 2 in their titles like B2W2.

Anyways, I'm hoping for the Battle Frontier in these games.

Back