• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Serena

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
Years
  • What does everyone think about Serena? How does she compare with Ash's other friends? Do you think she's an enjoyable character? What do you think her goal will be by the end of the XY series?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    Having a Goal will not improve Serena.
    Misty spend 2 season without any stable Goal yet she was popular .
    Because she had a Dynamic personality & Dynamic chemistry with Ash & Brock.
    That What matter the most .

What were your expectations for her?

Her to have most Dynamic chemistry with Ash due to being his childhood friend.
    But her chemistry with Ash is so formal .
    What was the point of her being a childhood friend if she still treated like a new girl.
    Some people think Ash treating her differently by being a Gentleman But Ash simply treating Serena that same way he treated Dawn & May when he first met them .
    But Ash started get closer to them So his treatment toward them change along the way.

Do you think it's a good trait or a bad one? Do you think she will become more aggressive later on?

Bad ,
    Being too passive is Bad .
    Pokemon is a Shouene based Kids Anime So Fans want a Tough girl with feminine side.
    People hated Shizuka's (Doreamon) girly personality so later the Aurthur gave her more Tomboyish personality . Its in the Wikia.
    Serena's the same .
    We know , Serena likes Ash but that doesn't mean she has to worship him . She need to See & Treat Ash as Ash , Not as Some Idol .
    Just like Popular Heroin like Misty (Pokemon) , Akari (Digimon) , Ran (Detective Conan) does !

As long as Serena Passive toward Ash While he act like a gentleman toward her , The chemistry will not be satisfying.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    She's not as bad as DP Brock for being in the background (who you would forget is a part of the show after a female CotD shown up) but wow, at times, it seems close. She adds very little to conversations, the group chemistry, to battles, to...well, anything. At least if she were actively pursuing her goal (I suppose that's performing, and will be more focused on in the future) we could get to know her a little better. But currently, Bonnie adds more to the show than Serena does, and she's not even a trainer!

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    Ash treatment toward Serena also affecting Serena.
    Since Ash treat her like a Lady , Both Serena Personality & Her chemistry with Ash become Dull.
    The Protagonist treatment toward other character is an very important factor !

For example , Gary didn't shown any Pokemon and battle Ash during Kento series But he still was a great rival .
    How ????
    Because Ash was jealous of Gary and he always tried to outdo him ! That Why .

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Serena, although very passive, has become one of my top 5 favorite characters. She has potential to surpass May as my favorite. However, she needs a lot of development.

Wobbu

Years
  • Serena, although very passive, has become one of my top 5 favorite characters. She has potential to surpass May as my favorite. However, she needs a lot of development.
    How do you think she could surpass May as your favorite?

Her to have most Dynamic chemistry with Ash due to being his childhood friend.
    But her chemistry with Ash is so formal .
    What was the point of her being a childhood friend if she still treated like a new girl.
    Some people think Ash treating her differently by being a Gentleman But Ash simply treating Serena that same way he treated Dawn & May when he first met them .
    But Ash started get closer to them So his treatment toward them change along the way..
    Do you think Ash will be closer to Serena later on in the series? If so, do you think Serena will be less formal with Ash?

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    Do you think Ash will be closer to Serena later on in the series? If so, do you think Serena will be less formal with Ash?

For that , You have to wonder , What is the difference between Serena & Dawn ?
    Both Dawn & Serena are girly .
    How Dawn manage to have such close & intimate chemistry with Ash in such a short time while Serena is distant despite being Ash's childhood friend.

Honestly , Pearlshipping is much stronger compare to Amourshipping but the writer decided to took pity on Kenny and made Pearlshipping Non-canon from both side.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • How do you think she could surpass May as your favorite?

If she can get some character development and build more courage and confidence, similar to how May did, in the anime. She could become my favorite.

If she would act more like she did when she first appeared in the anime when Fletchling pecked her while she was sleeping, she would become my favorite.

Lizardo

Public Enemy
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    Recent XY episodes are starting to reverse my biggest issue with Serena, which is that the writers refused to do anything interesting with her. Ever since XY039, Serena's goals are being addressed with a potential new storyline, she's going to be catching a Pokémon soon, and the recent show opening suggests that she may get more focus in general. The actual goal doesn't sound like something that would personally interest me, but I'm all for anything that offers an alternative storyline rather than having to sit through filler episode upon filler episode until getting to Satoshi's next Gym battle. I have to admit that for a while there, XY was starting to remind me of Jouto (albeit, not quite as boring).

Serena herself is okay. Her characterization isn't anything that appeals to me in the way that Haruka or Hikari did, or Citron and Eureka do, but there's nothing terrible about her either.

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2017
    I strongly Agree with Famon. This is why I wished that Dawn would be a remaining Character like Brock was. Ash and Serena may have past meetings, but that doesn't make their chemistry anymore stronger that it already is. With Dawn, she had a strong connection with Ash.Honestly she could be the Female Ash. I like Serena and all, but she needs somewhat of a purpose or she's going to become a dull unwanted character just like Misty turned out to be.

Wobbu

Years
  • For that , You have to wonder , What is the difference between Serena & Dawn ?
    Both Dawn & Serena are girly .
    How Dawn manage to have such close & intimate chemistry with Ash in such a short time while Serena is distant despite being Ash's childhood friend.

Even if both are girly, it doesn't mean they are the same. Serena is very shy when it comes to expressing her feelings for Ash, unlike Dawn. I would bet Serena's timidity is the reason why her chemistry with Ash isn't as intimate as Dawn's chemistry with Ash was, despite the fact that Ash has known Serena far longer than he knew Dawn.

If she can get some character development and build more courage and confidence, similar to how May did, in the anime. She could become my favorite.

How do you think Serena's character could be developed? Do you think pursuing a goal would be her first step for development?

The actual goal doesn't sound like something that would personally interest me, but I'm all for anything that offers an alternative storyline rather than having to sit through filler episode upon filler episode until getting to Satoshi's next Gym battle. I have to admit that for a while there, XY was starting to remind me of Jouto (albeit, not quite as boring).

I agree wholeheartedly. Even though I find XY's episodes to be entertaining, it can get monotonous before Ash earns his next badge. We've seen a few episodes about Serena, but it's not a lot compared to the other female companions' episodes. But, even if she does pursue a goal or add something new to the series, what do you think would be the most entertaining things she could do?

I strongly Agree with Famon. This is why I wished that Dawn would be a remaining Character like Brock was. Ash and Serena may have past meetings, but that doesn't make their chemistry anymore stronger that it already is. With Dawn, she had a strong connection with Ash.Honestly she could be the Female Ash. I like Serena and all, but she needs somewhat of a purpose or she's going to become a dull unwanted character just like Misty turned out to be.

Like I said, though. It could all be a matter of Serena's personality causing her relationship with Ash to slowly progress. I think we'll have to wait a decent length of time to see her develop, bit I have a feeling it will be worth it.

I can't help but think that Serena's intentionally characterised as someone looking for a goal. We've all been there. Perhaps she'll find her purpose in life at some point. And we'll keep thinking "what is she here for" and "what purpose does she serve"—but perhaps that's what the writers are playing at.

I'm almost certain she will pursue a goal at some point in the series. My guess is that the writers have something planned, but are waiting to execute it. I don't know why it's taking so long, but I'm sure everything will eventually add up.

My only doubt is that her goal is simply traveling and exploring the region with friends. If that's the case, then I'd be slightly disappointed. It's an excellent goal, but it's no different than what everyone else has been doing.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Serena definetly needs to have a goal and it would help a lot. I think she will become a movie star or something.

Who knows, maybe there will be a new episode with people asking Ash, Clemont, Bonnie and Serena in it.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • She had the potential to be an improvement from Iris, but instead, she's actually worse than her, as she's given the role of being a forced loved interest for Ash, when it was already stated years ago that romance has no place in the anime, thus putting Serena's role to waste. There's also the fact that it took the producers this long to try give her a proper goal during the summer camp arc and how lackluster she is in battles.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    I think the problem is that the show Canonize Serena's crush too Quickly.
    Kids didn't even had to wonder.
    Writer believe any girl is fine as long as they are cute.
    However , Writer should have considered Ash's current Personality and What kind girl would create more better chemistry first !
    But Writer were incompetent Shoujo-Freak who're into story where A shy girl for head over the heel for a Kind guy who saved her once and waste the whole wondering how to bang that guy.
    For example , Read this--
    Celem & Serena Doujin
    Just looking at picture is enough ! Here Celem has similar personality as Ash But Serena has more Calm & Serious personality .
    However that made it cute.
    Because Celem's polite & Kind Personality match well against That Serena's Calm & Serious Personality.
    So you see , If Ash has a Cute female rival who has a Cold , Serious , Mature & Calm attitude while hiding her cute girly traits then That Girl will become more Popular then Serena and Fans will start shipping her with Ash.
    She had the potential to be an improvement from Iris, but instead, she's actually worse than her, as she's given the role of being a forced loved interest for Ash, when it was already stated years ago that romance has no place in the anime, thus putting Serena's role to waste. There's also the fact that it took the producers this long to try give her a proper goal during the summer camp arc and how lackluster she is in battles.

Your wrong ?
    Kids Anime has more romance then any other Anime And Doreamon is a proof of that.
    However , Kids Anime has its own type of Romance ! Kids Anime just not fit for your typical Doki Doki Shoujo Romance.

Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2016
    Quite underwhelming after seeing game Serena. It's understandable that they wanted to do something a little different, but the writing has been so poor. Aside from amourshipping, what actually makes her interesting? Sure she can be different, but she doesn't need to be relegated to the background while effectively only partaking in feminine stereotypes. Don't get me wrong, there isn't anything wrong with being "girly", but that can't be the only thing the character does. Probably the worst I've seen of her was during the Korrina arc when they were looking around town for stones, and it just shows her gawking at materialism.

In an anime where we've seen girls doing stuff while also keeping various feminine traits, Serena just seems out of place, especially since said game counterpart is a kick-butt rival. I had the same problems with Kotori from Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    Here how a True childhood friend stereotype react -------

(Ash is sitting sadly after his defeat against Viola! )

Ash : Viola so strong ! I wonder if I can beat her .

(Serena approach him with his Bag )

Serena : Jeez You seriously dumped about one defeat ! That not like you !

Ash : huh

Serena : Here , Don't wonder off without your bag ! shesssss I hoped you finally grow a brain by now . But your still the Kid who would thoughtlessly sneak into Prof Oak lad .

Ash: How do you know that ?

Serena : Because you use to drag me with you , Remember ?

Ash : Dragg You ! (Ash tries to remember & a flashback of a girl show up). Noway Your S-Serena .

Serena : Oh , You remember me ! That quite surprising for you to actually remember something.

Ash : B-But Serena , How did you become So girly

Serena : I ALWAYS WERE A GIRL YOU MORON .

(Serena hit Ash )

Ash : Nope , Your still the same Serena.

(Clemont & Bonnie show up ! Ash introduce them to Serena While she tease him again. Later they go to get Ash's Pokemon.)

Nurse Joy : Here , Your Pokemon are fine & ready .

Ash : Okay guy , Are you all ready for Special training ,

Pikachu : Pikaa

Serena : WoW , Your that you Pikachu .

Ash : Yep , He's my very first Pokemon & Partner .

Serena : Really , Wait , Didn't Prof Oak give Bulbasaur , Charmender & Squirtle to new trainer ?

Ash : Well , A lot happened !

Serena : Let me guess , You were too excited and couldn't sleep So you wake up late . By the time you reach Prof Oak , all the Kento starter were taken But Prof Oak took pretty on you and gave you an Random Pokemon to start with !

Bonnie : Wow , Noway

Clemont : Did that what really happened Ash ?

Ash : (Embarrassed ) Well , it not entirely , I-I mean

Serena : Anyway , You must have to tough to look after that Boy , Aren't You Pikachu (Pet Pikachu's head )

(Pikachu nood his Head to Serena's response)

Pikacha : Pika Pi ka chu

Serena : (has a sly face) See , Even Pikachu agree with me !

Ash : W-well , let go for training .

(Ash fall against gust & having second thought. Serena approach with a Handkerchief)

Serena : Ash , Here !

Ash : Thank you !

Serena : Don't get so gloomy ! Remember how Others use to laugh at your dream .

Ash : I don't remember that much.

Serena : But they did ! But you always stand up & Say ''I will Never give up ! I can know I don't try'' . I kind off jealous off you for that .

(Ash look at Serena and break into laughter with Serena being Stunned )

Ash : Thank Serena , I got what I need .

Serena : Did his head hit a rock or something .

(Conversation between Serena & Alexa)

Alexa : Ash really motivated ! May be it cause off you .

Serena : (Blushed Tsundere face) Noway , He was always like that !

PS : I skip some part like showing Froko and meeting Alexa .

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I don't really know much about Serena to have any real comment regarding her actual character (specifically whether she's a Hina stereotype [ie, characters like Maron from DBZ, the Love Hina characters, the Battle Vixen characters, the Fiorello Fangirls from Princess vs. Princess, you know, stuff like that] or not). Aside from the issue about her goals (more on that later), the only real bone of contention I have is the revelation that she knew Ash since childhood, largely because it meant Misty wasn't Ash's first female friend, even when it was stated that she was (and I blame that more on the writers than Serena herself).

That being said, she doesn't exactly have a goal yet. Even May managed to actually get a goal by this point and time (and she took the longest as Misty was already implied to have the Water Pokémon Master goal since Kanto). Not to mention, while it may not have actually been named in Johto, Misty's goal was strongly implied since Kanto to be Water Pokémon Master, especially considering the few references to her goals were catching Water Pokémon or Pokémon related to water somehow [like Oddish], and focusing on Water Types as well, not to mention her backstory involving her sisters, so even Misty had a goal by that point.

Not to mention she isn't catching any Pokémon at all, and even the one Pokémon she does have she doesn't even train it at all. Even Misty at least got segments of training into her Pokémon.

Back