• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

----SHADOW---- It's the DARK Fan Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow Ball

I <3 ghosties the mosties! :P
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    I find that column pretty believable (and cool as well). If you don't agree, you don't have to, it's okay. I still see many things pointing to it being a dark type pokemon though. :]

Xilfer

Just won't die.
    Years
    I still see many thing pointing it to not be a dark type:
    for one, it learns more grass type moves than dark type moves
    and for another the moves it learns are many grass but also POISON and i beileve poison has nothing to do with being dark
    for one other, moonlight may refer to being nocturnal (as it already is as pointed out by shadow ball) but moonlight is not a DARK type move, this only points out to oddish being nocturnal wich we all know it is, it does not point out to it being DARK.

Shadow Ball

Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    Well, the reason it doesn't learn many dark moves is because it isn't dark, we're just talking about Pokemon we think should be dark. Poison and dark actually go pretty well together. Most dark types I know can learn a good few poison type moves, actually. I mentioned moonlight because Oddish is nocturnal - nocturnal being a good example of dark types, because many dark types prefer the dark and/or night. :]

Xilfer

Just won't die.
    Years
    Yes, but hoothoot and Noctowl are nocturnal and i don't see you guys debating them.
    besides, the fact that it's nocturnal isn't enough, and the mandrake....sounds like gibberish or ghost type to me, although i wouldn't make oddish ghost typed AT ALL!
    Oddish isn't a dark typed pokemon for all the reasons i said above, i am personally to tired to think of anything else for now except: come up with a better reason to make oddish dark, mandrake and nocturnal aren't enough.
    either way i don't see this:
    ----SHADOW---- It's the DARK Fan Club

turning into this:
    anytime soon.

Attachments

• ----SHADOW---- It's the DARK Fan Club
      untitled.PNG
      38 KB · Views: 2

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    @ Xil did you read the origin of species thing it is based on a Mandrake "a mystical magical plant that is connected to the dead and can kill people: pretty dark to me.

That's pretty awesome. XD;;

Well, the reason it doesn't learn many dark moves is because it isn't dark, we're just talking about Pokemon we think should be dark. Poison and dark actually go pretty well together. Most dark types I know can learn a good few poison type moves, actually. I mentioned moonlight because Oddish is nocturnal - nocturnal being a good example of dark types, because many dark types prefer the dark and/or night. :]

Yeah I always considered poison to be something dark even irl, because it... kills? XD; And causes pain, etc.

As for that Oddish, changing it to look like that (red eyes) has no real point, as it doesn't look any much darker than it already does. There's not much you can do to Oddish to make it look darker, other than darken its body as a whole and return it to the original black in the first few games.

Tribal Ebony

Blood is always satisfactory.
    Years
    JEEZ EVERYTHING'S BEEN TAKEN! thats just VERY annoying.
    ok, uh, Murkrow then, there, and if that's taken i don't want a partner!
    right, what's our topic? maybe i should make a side topic,
    What Dark type Pokemon is the best...say, speed in your opinion?
    I will answer this topic later.

Hmm, Xil, please dont randomly make new topics. As you can already see, there is a topic active....

Also, Reshiram Man has been dropped as Co-owner. I will be on the lookout for a new co-owner. If you would like to be a coowner, post saying so.

Last edited:

Shadow Ball

Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    I wouldn't mind co-owning, if that's okay with you. :]

Xil, dark type pokemon don't have to be scary and evil with pointy fangs and red eyes, a lot of them aren't. Hoot hoot may very well be nocturnal, but that's because it's an owl. I actually think Noctowl would make a decent dark type, they needed more in Johto anyway. I can't back up my reasons anymore than I have, besides the fact that most people are agreeing with me about Oddish. Which is pretty neat, because that was always something I was wishing the games would do.

Yeah, Dark and Poison always seemed compatible to me as well, because when I think dark I think sneaky and ninja like, and ninja's use poison! XD I wonder if Oddish was only black in the original games because of the lack of color choices they had? lol. Either way, I still think it and it's evolutions are the darkest grass types from gen I.

Xilfer

Just won't die.
    Years
    I never said it had to be dark and scary, it's a figure of speech!
    yes, but incase you haven't noticed, dark and poison are two different types, as granted by gamefreak, your not gonna discuss that are you?!
    seriously, you picture the cute oddish as a mandrake?! i'm dissapointed in the lot of you!
    although, i'd have to agree with you there shadow ball, Noctowl would make a decent Dark type.
    what does oddish in appearance have to do with a mandrake, you must not forget appearances!
    and the pokedex clearly states it as the weed (weed=grass) pokemon! do you see mandrake pokemon on there?! i think not!
    (although having a mandrake pokemon would be cewl)
    it's evo is a bulb and it's evo after that is a flower, a toxic one if ya ask me, making it poison typed, and most certain of all is bellossom, that has nothing to do with dark or poison wich is why it has been derived of its poison typing, when you said the oddish family, you carelessely included bellosom in that statement, and i don't see a hint of darkness in THAT!
    back to oddish, just because it's nocturnal dosen't neceserilly make it a dark type, if it was to be a dark type it should have more traits than just that, i compeletely disagree with the mandrake for above reasons, leaving it with nothing in it's artillery to be a dark type, besides, it disguises itself as a weed, thats clearly grass based, if you were to take away it's grass typing that would be ridiculous.
    so think about it, it's grass typing is why it's a weed, it's poison typing, i have no idea, but i can understand why its evos have it, and its dark typing...read the above.
    @Tribal Ebony
    anyone can start side topics, i didn't see a rule denying it, besides a side topic is a topic within the current one, it dosen't mean that the first topic is finished.

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
    Years
    a Mandrake is a plant you know :) ?

and usually new topics are reserved for Owner/Co-owner and maybe some higher ranking members though it is not always stated it is a rule of thumb

anyway back to oddish people believed mandrakes could not be pulled up during the day due to they would shriek and cause the person who pulled it up to die. what does oddish due as described by some canons? shriek if pulled up. one thing in common with the mandrake. there are more but I do not want to list them all oh and Oddish is poison typed because wait for it .....Mandrakes are extremely poisonous oh and bulbapedia states

Oddish is most likely based on a mandrake.
    heres he link its at the bottom under origin.
    https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Oddish_(Pokémon)

AshPikastar

It's Question Time!
    Years
    Yeah, Dark and Poison always seemed compatible to me as well, because when I think dark I think sneaky and ninja like, and ninja's use poison! XD I wonder if Oddish was only black in the original games because of the lack of color choices they had? lol. Either way, I still think it and it's evolutions are the darkest grass types from gen I.

I always thought of Poison being Dark types since most Poison Pokemon do look like dark types like Croagunk which is a poison and fighting but I always thought it was a dark and fighting. It would have made since for it to be a dark type.

angel

Kairi's Nobody
    Years
    Xilfer123 said:
    yes, but incase you haven't noticed, dark and poison are two different types, as granted by gamefreak, your not gonna discuss that are you?!
    Nobody said anything about them not being two different types, clearly they are. What IS being said is that Posion and Dark fit together, both have dirty qualites to them.

Xilfer123 said:
    seriously, you picture the cute oddish as a mandrake?! i'm dissapointed in the lot of you!
    You need to remember one thing though, EVERY pokemon is based off an animal, besides Rotom which is based off a machine. So if Oddish isn't based off a Mandrake, what animal/mythlogical creature is it based off?

Xilfer

Just won't die.
    Years
    Um, a WEED! thats obvious in the Pokedex.
    i think im not offtopic since we are discussing oddish..
    and who said that EVERY pokemon is based off an animal, Oddish is a weed Bellossom is a flower...thing, and what's ghastly based on then? a floating ball of ghostlyness, i can understand haunter but YOU tell ME what ghastly is based on!

angel

Kairi's Nobody
    Years
    If you believe its a weed then theres only a short step to Mandrake.

Yes, I forgot a couple exceptions but most are based off animals or mythlogical creatures/legend.

Ghastly's name should give it away, its a spirit. Its what the artist wanted to draw a spirit to look like.

Xilfer

Just won't die.
    Years
    I figured you'd say that,
    Gastly is...i dunno, haunter is a spirit! HAUNTER like a haunting spirit.
    a weed is a hundred million kilometeres (figure of speech) away from mandrake, now you're talking giberish.
    and sure, most are based off animals, but in the note of vileplume gastly haunter gloom oddish and many others, they are not based off animals, it dosent mean they all have to based on animals, and a mandake is not an animal! hah!

Shadow Ball

Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    I don't see this conversation going anywhere, lol. Xil has his own thoughts and we have ours, and neither side is going to agree with each other. I still think Oddish could be a perfect dark type, and the likely fact that it's based off a Madrake makes it perfect. It's most likely true, just type in "Oddish" and "Mandrake" in google and there are countless examples saying Oddish is based off one.

angel

Kairi's Nobody
    Years
    No Ghastly is a spirit, many times in movies and games spirits are floating balls of light. Ghastly isn't a haunting spirit like Haunter or a dream eater like Gengar but it is a spirit.

And a Mandrake is a Mythlogical creature described in a legend, you don't see gardners dying because they pulled up a Mandrake do you?

Shadow Ball

Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    Of course since this is pokemon, even with Oddish being based off a Mandrake it would be made less scary for the younger audience. It just makes sense. Just because Oddish is cute doesn't mean it can't be a dark type and just because it looks like a weed doesn't mean it can't be a mandrake...because that's what mandrakes are anyway. xD

And yes, Ghastly is a spirit! I see it as most likely a spirit which has yet to manifest itself yet and is still in a gaseos state, thus his name.

Xilfer

Just won't die.
    Years
    Yeah, well guess what, its not a creature, i don't care what google has to say, oddish being based off a mandrake is going too far, do you even see a similarite in the root of a mandrake and oddish? the pokedex clearly states it to be a weed, an ordinary weed not some kind of mandrake weed, gastly, on the other hand, is maybe a spirit, but that dosen't mean im owned, bellosom vilplume oddish, they're all based on plants, it's not all animals, and rotom is another example, your not gonna say that thats a spirit are you?
    oh yeah, and putting that in your sig is going too far.

angel

Kairi's Nobody
    Years
    Ok, I can see we're not going to agree so lets move off the Oddish=Mandrake agrument. Does anybody have another pokemon they believe should be Dark?

Oh, and what in my sig is going too far?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back