• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Shh, there's younger children around!"

Years
  • It is kind of weird. I don't like little kids doing it either, yet I do it all the time. *Thinks* Yeah, I think everyone here has a valid point.

Years
    • Seen Jun 26, 2012
    Everyone swears at one point, reason parents are like this is because we don't want our children speaking like that. People sound really rude and disrespectful talking that way.

Aureol

Kanto/Electric-Type Enthusiast
    Years
  • I personally don't swear, but I don't have a huge problem with others using mildly colorful language around me (I have problems with some of the harsher 4-letter words, however). The reason these words are offensive though is primarily because of their definitions, though there are also large social connotations to them as well. We never hear, say, the f-word used in a pleasant way; it is always used when trying to explain a rather tasteless or unfavorable idea.

Besides, I feel that swearing hinders communication, because rather than try to explain how you feel, you merely say, "Oh, ----!" It is a lot easier to throw out some off-color word than to express in detail what you feel, and you fail to resolve the negative flow in your head: instead of breaking down and resolving the negative thought processes through constructive dialogue, you push them aside. And kids don't need to resort to this at an early age, when developing communication and critical-thinking skills should be of great concern.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    I, personally, think kids should be 'protected' from swearing.

Some words such as damn/blaspheming I don't really care about as much, but I feel like the f-bomb and derogatory words should definitely be avoided. As far as I know, swearing is kind of a portal to aggression, and definitely shows a lack of respect. Parents who let their kids get away with swearing are the ones that probably don't punish their kids at all.

Of course it's kind of a grey area of using the proper meaning of words and what is age appropriate, and what is not. I think from 16+ swearing is a lot more allowed, as long as they refrain from directing their swearing at other people.

Last edited:
    Back