• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that users with less than 6 posts will have their threads/posts go to the approval queue if it has links or messages. This counts edits made to threads/posts after they were already approved and is intentional anti-spam behavior that is unfortunately necessary. Once you reach 6 posts, this will no longer occur.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Shin Pokemon Red/Blue/Green/JP builds (Bugfix, AI, and QoL patch)

Years
    • Seen Jun 3, 2024
    Wait, you're using the yellow front 'mon sprites aren't you? Are you using the replacement main.asm? That modified main.asm is actually out of date and doesn't INCLUDE certain files. You might want to consider going off the lite_dev branch instead.

Ha! That's exactly what I ended up doing and everything went fine. The GBC colors look nice (it's the main reason why I'm back into this). However, as soon as I get to Oak's speech, it looks like this:

Shin Pokemon Red/Blue/Green/JP builds (Bugfix, AI, and QoL patch)

It looks this way all the way through until you get to the player's room.

EDIT:

In the other thread, I mentioned that some sprites had some corruption artifacts, and sadly the problem remains:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    In the other thread, I mentioned that some sprites had some corruption artifacts, and sadly the problem remains:

Delete your local branch and start over. I'm not sure what's causing your sprite corruption, but I cannot replicate it from my side.

EDIT: Just pushed a commit to the dev branches that fixes the red background for oak's speech. It was caused by a function clearing out most of the wram data when a new game is selected, and it zeroed-out the palette pointers along with it. While it might have made for a cool creepypasta, the default palette just needed to be reinitialized.

EDIT2: I created a branch called lite_dev_yel that uses the yellow front mon pics. You can see a comparison of what was changed. Some other unknown changes you have are causing the sprites to decompress wrong, so I suggest purging everything and starting fresh.

Attachments

• Shin Pokemon Red/Blue/Green/JP builds (Bugfix, AI, and QoL patch)
      Capture.PNG
      46 KB · Views: 4
    Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 3, 2024
    The only other change I made, aside of changing some move types like Gust and Sand Attack, was calling the Yellow trainer sprites for Red, Brock, Misty, Erika and the Rival.

But I'll give a try to that new branch and report back.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 3, 2024
    First of all, thanks for the help so far.

Having tried the new branch, it now works with the Yellow sprites. However, the Nidorino in Oak's speech doesn't get its proper color:

Also, if you try to compile with the back sprites from 'swmonback', you get the following error:

Code:
    ERROR: main.asm(769):
        Section 'Pics 4' is too big (max size = 0x4000 bytes, reached 0x4013).
    make: *** [Makefile:42: main_red.o] Error 5

Years
    • Seen yesterday

Having tried the new branch, it now works with the Yellow sprites. However, the Nidorino in Oak's speech doesn't get its proper color:

Also, if you try to compile with the back sprites from 'swmonback', you get the following error:

Code:
    ERROR: main.asm(769):
        Section 'Pics 4' is too big (max size = 0x4000 bytes, reached 0x4013).
    make: *** [Makefile:42: main_red.o] Error 5

That is it's proper color. Check it out in super gameboy mode. Mon pics for the title screen and oak speech use the trainer pic palette. I've done the title mons as an added touch, but I haven't gotten around to the oakspeech nidorino.

So there are 19 bytes that need to be cleared out of rom bank C. Where did that come from? I'll look into it.

Years
    • Seen yesterday

Okay, give this one a go. You can see how I changed main.asm and UncompressMonSprites to shift the mons across the 7 banks. It's just a matter of making room. You just have to keep the mons in their index order in main.asm (except for mew), and then adjust UncompressMonSprites for the shift.

EDIT: A new commit has been pushed that gets the oakspeech nidorino palette loading.

Also, do note that you have extra work to do to get spaceworld back sprites uncompressing properly. This is detailed in the "how to change pkmn sprites" guide.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 31, 2024
    How do you raise the level cap to 250, is that standard

If you do end up changing the level cap, unfortunately the starter Pokemon isn't affected. It will still max out at 100 (Not sure if this problem was addressed, it was the case a year ago)

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    If you do end up changing the level cap, unfortunately the starter Pokemon isn't affected. It will still max out at 100 (Not sure if this problem was addressed, it was the case a year ago)

Outdated info maybe? I compiled with max_level=101 and ran a test using pikasav. A level 100 charizard gains exp and shows it needs 33446 more exp to get to level 101. It will also level up to 101 when it reaches the next exp threshold.

Years
    • Seen Aug 12, 2020
    Hi, nice rom. But, I turned on the trainer level march but, I have a lv 14 bulbasaur and when I face the rival, he have pidgey lv 16 and it's ok but, when I catch a lv 3 Pikachu and face it again, his pidgey is lv 8.
    Would be possible to make trainer level match with your higest level pokemon instead of the average of all of them?

Thanks

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Hi, nice rom. But, I turned on the trainer level march but, I have a lv 14 bulbasaur and when I face the rival, he have pidgey lv 16 and it's ok but, when I catch a lv 3 Pikachu and face it again, his pidgey is lv 8.
    Would be possible to make trainer level match with your higest level pokemon instead of the average of all of them?

Thanks

This was done back on Jun 14th, 2020. Please make sure you are using the latest patch. If the problem persists, then you have to post your .sav file so I can directly see what's going on in wram.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    V1.15 is go for launch!

EDIT: Just realized this is post 151 of the thread. How appropriate.

Master branch patch notes:
    #Hack-Induced Bugfixes & Adjustments since last version:
    -----------
    - Female trainer default name changed from YELLOW to VIOLET
    - AI routine #3 favorability for 0 bp moves has been corrected.
    - Fixed an issue where enabling gender symbols could cause a status screen crash
    - More graphical fixes to the route 22 rival
    - Female trainer has correct overworld sprite in intro

#New features & adjustments since last version:
    -----------
    - GBC color palettes have been back-ported from Yellow-version.
    - Scrolling mons on the title screen have their own palettes loaded on the GBC.
    - In the blue version intro, jigglypuff has it's own palette loaded on the GBC.
    - Oak-speech nidorino has its color palette on the GBC.
    - The formula functions for exp now have underflow protection.
    - General RNG improved to the one used by Prism and Polished Crystal
    - Female trainer now has her own fishing sprites

Lite branch patch notes:
    #Latest Fixes (most recent ips patch):
    ---------------
    - The Gameboy Color palette functionality from pokemon Yellow has been back-ported into the game
    - Scrolling mons on the title screen have their own palettes loaded on the GBC.
    - In the blue version intro, jigglypuff has it's own palette loaded on the GBC.
    - Oak-speech nidorino has its color palette on the GBC.
    - Ai routine #3 has a correction involving favoribility of 0 bp moves
    - Minor graphical fixes to route 22 rival

Last edited:

darthbr

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    Battle system is not good yet. I mean The AI. They switch when pokemon is on Red Life HP. then put another one. IF this one faint. They return The Red hp one again. Also pokemon use dumb moves constant. Like leer or tail whip. Even in e4. Im not complaining. Just saying The original vanila is stupid. So The AI can be better.

IF i have a raichu. And trainer have gyarados. He Will switch to a krabby. Doesnt make sense.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    They switch when pokemon is on Red Life HP. then put another one.

Yes, this is intended.

IF this one faint. They return The Red hp one again.

This will happen if the other possible switch-ins are determined to not be good choices either. But I can adjust the AI scoring so that red health is penalized more heavily.

Also pokemon use dumb moves constant. Like leer or tail whip. Even in e4

The battle engine chooses moves randomly even if AI is active. The difference is that it will randomly choose between the most-preferred moves. If multiple moves are in the most-preferred list, then each one has an equal chance of being chosen. Pokemon with mostly non-damage moves tend to skew this preferred list. There's not a lot I can do, but I'll see if I can tweak it some more by occasionally discouraging these moves.

IF i have a raichu. And trainer have gyarados. He Will switch to a krabby. Doesnt make sense.

Yes it does. The krabby is scored higher than the gyarados because krabby has a 2x weakness to your raichu as opposed to the 4x weakness of gyarados. The other switch-in choices were scored either equal to or less than the krabby. However, I can look at giving a harsher penalty for type weaknesses.

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    Really good stuff. I'm just wondering if it is possible to implement custom movesets for Gym Leaders and Elite four similar to how that is handled in gen 2? The AI could really shine with beefed up movesets.

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
    Years
    • Seen May 23, 2024
    Really good stuff. I'm just wondering if it is possible to implement custom movesets for Gym Leaders and Elite four similar to how that is handled in gen 2? The AI could really shine with beefed up movesets.

Yep! Trainer_moves.asm and trainer_parties.asm in the data folder should be what you're looking for.

darthbr

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    Started to play shin pokered master version, awesome, just wondering, could u make those 2 guys in oak lab like ''yes or no'', i mean, not just talk and activate, make it like ''rematch'' system.

I have kids, they just talk to the npc and the game becomes harder (the npc that makes pokemon stronger), and keeps me asking why hahahaha, so i have to change it, anyway, its just a suggestion...

Also, can u make the game start with ''set'' option? i have been playing with SET, and its awesome, not very difficult, but not very easy.. perfect

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Started to play shin pokered master version, awesome, just wondering, could u make those 2 guys in oak lab like ''yes or no'', i mean, not just talk and activate, make it like ''rematch'' system.

I have kids, they just talk to the npc and the game becomes harder (the npc that makes pokemon stronger), and keeps me asking why hahahaha, so i have to change it, anyway, its just a suggestion...

Also, can u make the game start with ''set'' option? i have been playing with SET, and its awesome, not very difficult, but not very easy.. perfect

These are all simple requests. I'll make a note to do them.

CadmiumRED

Johto Enthusiast
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2024
    On my deviantart page, I actually attempted to make "devamped" GSC Spaceworld '97-style sprites of some of the Pokemon from Gen 1. I might attempt to do more later on if it can aid in this project.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Really good stuff. I'm just wondering if it is possible to implement custom movesets for Gym Leaders and Elite four

As Chronosplit posted, those two files control trainer rosters and custom movesets. This is what Gamefreak did to get custom movesets working for Yellow version. I just backported it into red & blue. It's not super elegant, but it works.

darthbr

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    I have found a minor minor error. When u give a drink to The girl on Last floor of celadon store. Appears a "N" into The Middle of The boarder.

Back