• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Shinies!

Sirfetch’d

Gen 4 was good to me with shiny encounters! I found my first gen 4 shiny when playing SoulSilver and it was a shiny Nidoran female! I was so happy as Nidoqueen is one of my favorite Pokemon ever haha. On the exact same route I found another one on the same play through! :D

Years
  • I found a lot of Shiny Pokemon in Generation 4. I don't know an exact count, but it was somewhere around 20. Too bad that I lost them all. :(

There was a time in Pokemon Platinum when I found a Shiny Graveler, caught it and when I went into the grass again, I found another Pokemon! I forget what Pokemon it was though.

Gigabeat

Professionals and all.
    Years
  • I was really lucky to get a shiny, even though I didn't have the intention of getting one. It's like that sometimes. Anyways, it was a shiny Gastly, and I really liked that turquoisey color. Too bad the shiny for Gengar wasn't really nice and / or eye catching, but still cool nonetheless. Oh, and I killed the shiny Gyrados. By accident, I swear.

Years
  • I found a lot of shinies in Platinum actually XD I found Staravia, Medicham and Ponyta :D But I couldn't use either of them because I found them during challenges with set team I had to use :(

Years
  • I got like 40+ shines from just chaining in Diamond, to me its the easiest method.
    I also got two RE's, shinx and ratata.

PunkPhantom

"midna's a cat" -vinny, vinesauce
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    I have encountered 3 shinies and successfully caught 2 of them in 4th gen. None of them were through chaining.

The first one was in 2010 in HeartGold. It was a shiny Rattata in the Burned Tower. I thought it was cool how it was golden and it was in HeartGold. I named it "Goldie" I believe. Unfortunately I decided to evolve it into a Raticate without knowing what the shiny looks like and it looked lame imo. Just a slightly orangey-er shade of brown. I later traded it to Pearl, my favorite game.

The second was a pink Wooper in the Great Marsh in Pearl in 2011. It was incredibly risky to catch as you can imagine, but I caught it with 2 safari balls! This time I looked up what shiny Quagsire looked like and it is purple which is my favorite color, so I evolved it! I named it "Purpse".

The final 4th gen shiny I encountered was in 2012. I was starting to notice the lucky, coincidental pattern of encountering one shiny per year. I was fishing in Route 220 in Pearl trying to catch a Lanturn because I was trying to complete the Pokedex and I was too lazy to grind a Chinchou to evolve it. I knew Lanturn was rare, but it seemed to be taking a ridiculous amount of time to find one, I just kept hooking a ton of Chinchou. I joked that at that rate I was going to encounter a shiny Chinchou before I found a Lanturn. But then it happened! I quickly sent out my at-the-time level 50ish Weaville with False Swipe that I always have on my team now in case I run into a shiny. I used False Swipe, but unfortunately I didn't know that Chinchou could learn Take Down and it killed itself :( It turns out if it had been one level lower it wouldn't have even known Take Down.

Those are the only shinies I've encountered in gen 4 besides the Red Gyarados.

Hero of Twilight

Rest in Peace Iwata.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 5, 2016
    i don't own HG/SS so i can't say i have a Red Gyarados, but i have found three shines by pure chance. found a bidoof on route 201, a weepinbell on route 229, and a wooper on 212, although i didn't catch that one. :(

Years
  • I don't believe I ever got a shiny Pokemon in a fourth generation game. And of course there is the Red Gyarados, but that doesn't really count.

mangamusicfan

The Lost one.
    Years
  • I Have a few of them, I don't like them that one's in this Game.
    You need to put really much effort to get them In this game.

shayminskyforme88

Collecting Events
    Years
  • Shiny Meditite from Diamond, Shiny Bunneary from Pearl, Shiny Gyarados, Shiny Graveler, Shiny Eevee, and Shiny Vulpix from HearGold.

Tek

Years
  • Like most, I caught the raging Red Gyarados. Hard to say why, it just has to be done.

I have two other shinies on HG. First is a Caterpie I found in the Ilex Forest, and with a Timid nature, no less! It's now a Butterfree named Freelabell and is one of my favorites.

The other is a Donphan I encountered outside of Mt. Silver, I'm not too crazy about it. I caught it on principle, figured maybe I could trade it for something nice eventually.

I may pick up a copy of Diamond version today and begin my first Sinnoh journey. If I do, I will be soft resetting to get a shiny Piplup :D

Years
  • I had traded for literally hundreds upon hundreds in my Diamond and Soul Silver, but those don't really count in my book. If I remember right, I caught a shiny Geodude and Meditite with a few days of each other in my Diamond, AND, I know I caught a few others in that game too - I just can't remember right now. I think I ended up trading them both, though. :/

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • I chained quite a bit in Pearl. My shiny haul was:

1 Corsola
    3 Absol
    1 Voltorb (while riding in a car)
    7 Ponyta (I accidentally fainted the 8th one)
    2 Nidoran Male
    4 Banette
    1 Skitty
    1 Shinx
    1 Buneary
    3 Buizel
    3 Ariados
    6 Venomoth

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • Just a shiny Medicham I ran away from in Mt Coronet. I thought my game was cursed at the time... :s 7-8 year old me was the worst version of me.

Years
  • The only shiny I got in the fourth generation was the Red Gyarados. I tried and tried to get a shiny Pokemon, but I never succeeded. I even did the Masuda method with a million Smeargle - no dice. ;_;

Back