• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen ~Shiny Hunters~

Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2017
    I'm currently attempting to hatch a shiny Solosis right now. I've already gone through a lot of eggs (a few boxes worth at least) but no shiny yet. Before I started breeding for Solosis I was casually breeding my Cofagrigus with a Japanese Ditto to get Yamask's Pokedex entry, and a shiny Yamask hatched out from the second egg! Wondering if I should put this on hold and try to get the Shiny Charm first, even though I've only caught 370 Pokemon so far.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    Once I cross the 700 mark, I'll look for the Shiny Charm. For now, I'm just being casual. I know I'll get there as I have a full Black Dex, but I do have a few Kalos ones to catch as well.

Years
  • I spent all of yesterday MMing two different Pokemon, but I didn't get any luck. So today I decided to try a different Pokemon, and I ended up getting a Shiny Dedenne after five eggs. This is now my third shiny using the Masuda Method in this gen (the others being an Eevee and a Yamask). I generally use this method while I'm breeding for competitive use, but unfortunately none of these guys had the proper IV spread - the Eevee has 2 perfect IVs and Yamask and Dedenne have 4. I'm going to try breeding Honedge next, so hopefully this one will work out better.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    Well, my highlight trade of the day: someone at Neoseeker was looking for a Shiny Eevee for a fresh playthrough of his game, and was offering a Shiny Metagross. I had Eevee clones handy, so sent one with the requested Fire Stone (I had offered an otherwise unobtainable Enigma Berry).

So I get the Metagross to the rater. Turns out the Metagross, already Lv.100, is 6IV. Attack IVs are maxed out, and both forms of Defense are bolstered to about half.

That's a hard one to top. Too bad I don't have Steel or Psychic in my Gym or it would be used.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    Am I the only one who hasn't encountered a single Shiny in any of my games?
    (Actually, I may have in previous generations but not recognised their coloring because I was new to Pokémon, but I know what they look like now and about their 'Shiny' effect and as far as I know I haven't found one in X at all, and most likely none of the others)

Maybe I got a really bad seed for the RNG...

Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2014
    I have a shiny beedrill and a shiny ditto I will trade either one for a shiny earls or honedge. FC 3969-4424-8985

Years
  • Just got my shiny 5IV Axew after only 105 eggs (too bad it's a female and not flawless but oh well, a shiny is a shiny ^^)! This shiny charm has been doing wonders for me.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    Just got my shiny 5IV Axew after only 105 eggs (too bad it's a female and not flawless but oh well, a shiny is a shiny ^^)! This shiny charm has been doing wonders for me.
    I really want that freakin' Shiny Charm... Damn Sycamore making me obtain the whole National Pokédex before I get it. I should start working on doing that, but it's gonna take quite a while.

Years
  • I really want that freakin' Shiny Charm... Damn Sycamore making me obtain the whole National Pokédex before I get it. I should start working on doing that, but it's gonna take quite a while.

Ya it took me a little more than a week just GTS trading after trading. It's a lot of work but now I'm using it effectively. Male Shiny Axew came just 2 boxes after the female one.

Years
    • Seen Mar 5, 2016
    In the last 24 hours I've been traded a Shiny 6IV ditto, caught a shiny Mankey in Friend Safari and hatched a 5IV shiny Aerodactyl.

Super fun times!

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    I finally got my first Shiny from chain fishing! It was a Shiny Alomomola! It looks very nice in purple...

Then, I did it again and found a Shiny Goldeen! I made the horrible decision to use Struggle Bug on it, and it was a critical hit and it fainted :(

But I kept chain-fishing and I found another one and caught it this time! It looks very nice with its gold :)

Years
  • I Muse Sullivan have finally recieved the shiny charm!! Froakie I am coming for you!........................for the 4th time (hoping for success).

8/10/14 9:02pm will always be a special day...........not really.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    Update: Got more Shinies! I got the Shiny Magikarp which is colored pure gold and evolves into the Red Gyarados! I also got a Shiny Luvdisc which is colored yellow and looks quite nice.

Am currently Poké-Radar-ing for a Shiny Pikachu.

Dragneil

Lightning Trainer
    Years
  • decided to shiny hunt charmeleon in friend safari after months of not playing got one within 30min of turning on my ds. I think the game is reeling me back in xD

Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2014
    Got a Shiny Horsea after 5 minutes of chain fishing (first time i tried it). Hopefully get this lucky again as looking for a Shiny Dratini (Like the look of the shiny Dragonair) :)

Rageon

Houndoom-Raised Ace Trainer!
    Years
  • How Do You Get Shinies!?

Hi Trainers, I see people boasting about there "Limited Edition Max IV Shiny Mew" and I wonder how do they do it. All the experienced Shiny Hunters out there, could you give me some tips? People will say "It's just Luck" but you see people with about 200 shinies so there has to be something to it! So if you have any tips (good places to luck etc.) I'd be grateful!

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Hi Trainers, I see people boasting about there "Limited Edition Max IV Shiny Mew" and I wonder how do they do it. All the experienced Shiny Hunters out there, could you give me some tips? People will say "It's just Luck" but you see people with about 200 shinies so there has to be something to it! So if you have any tips (good places to luck etc.) I'd be grateful!

Unless you cheat, it really is all up to luck. This gen I found shinies are infinitely easier to get (I only ever got one while playing the entire GameBoy Advance generation games and this gen I have probably a couple dozen) When you complete the Pokedex you get a Shiny Charm (I think that's what it's called) that doubles the chance of finding a shiny, and when you breed using at least 1 parent from a different region as you you get an increased chance of the offspring being shiny, but that's pretty much all you can do.

I personally have been finding a shiny pokemon approximately 1 every 100 hours of gameplay, but I have gotten lucky such as breeding both a shiny Fennekin and a shiny Chespin within an hour of each other, and a few days ago finding a shiny Hoppip in a horde and then a little while later that same session finding a shiny Skiddo. My luck though has been due to grinding. I level up all my pokemon from level 1 through battling. And not 1 pokemon battling with the Exp Share turned on either, but rather each and every single pokemon fights in battles itself to level itself up (I do use the Lucky Egg though) and because of the sheer number of battles I'm fighting all the time I am running into shinies every once in a while. There's things you can do to increase the odds (as I had previously mentioned, such as the shiny charm and breeding pokemon from different regions) but no matter what you do, it's not going to be a quick thing. It's going to take a lot of time so you're better off doing other things (such as levelling up, battling for money, etc, etc) and while you're not thinking about it, you'll eventually run into a shiny once in a while.

Back