• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Shiny Pokes vs Pokerus

Would you prefer to get Pokerus or a Shiny?

• Total voters

PickupTeam

Free Item Abuser
Years
  • Both extremely rare, I think anyone who has either has the right to brag.

So, which would you rather get?

I prefer Pokerus hands-down, for its usefulness. IMO, shinies are just a gimmick and completely NOT worth all the effort it takes to try and find one with the Poke Radar.

Have you ever gotten one or the other?

I've gotten Pokerus on my own in HG, and from trading in Black. Shinies are still elusive, I've never gotten one except for a lame Cacturne in a trade.

gameplayer56

Loving Latias Forever
    Years
  • So, which would you rather get?
    Shiny Pokemon, PokeRus are common for me (+ I prefer a Shiny Latias <3 then Pokerus).

I've gotten both, I got my first Pokerus in 3rd Gen & every since that day, I've been getting Pokerus rather through in-game or trading. As for shines, I've gotten mostly through trading, except for Tentacool & an Audino.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I was just having a conversation about this the other day!

I would hands-down, no contest prefer a shiny to Pokerus. I mean, EV training isn't hard at all without Pokerus. I don't care honestly to make the "kill 20" turn into "kill 10", it's not a big deal at all for me. I'd much rather have something pretty. I've never had either though.

BenjiTheKid

Cooltrainer Benji
    Years
  • So, which would you rather get?
    I'm not a fan of either. They both take way too much time to obtain generally speaking and I don't EV train so have no use for Pokerus. That said, I prefer Shiny Pokes to Pokerus as I like the fact that shinies are "unique". But I still don't really "hunt" for either of them and don't care if I get one either way.

I found a shiny Houndoom on dumb luck alone. (As in, I wasn't shiny hunting. It was just pure luck.) Aside from the Red Gyarados in G/S/C and HG/SS, that is the only shiny I've ever had, though. I got Pokerus via the GTS. But the Pokemon was a hack, so, I released it. Because I didn't really care whether or not mine got Pokerus from it. Other than that, I've never had a Pokemon with Pokerus.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    I hate those people who are loco over shiny Pokemon. They made me hate shiny Pokemon on the first place. So I'll choose Pokerus over...shinies any day. I mean, its not I don't like the looks of shiny Pokemon, its just these people who are loco over them shinies that makes me want to stray away from shiny Pokemon.

/2cents

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I want shinies. Not into EVing Pokemon too much and shinies are just aesthetically pleasing imo. Except shiny Dragonite. lol

Tyranee

Can't read my Poke'-face!
    Years
  • Pokerus. It makes your party that much stronger. I got one in Gen 5 through trading with a friend. Shinies are still awesome but I hardly ever find them.

PickupTeam

Free Item Abuser
    Years
  • I want shinies. Not into EVing Pokemon too much and shinies are just aesthetically pleasing imo. Except shiny Dragonite. lol

Wat.

*just looked up shiny Dragonite*
    It's awesome. I'd totally Masuda method one of these in Black. That is, after I've done everything else there is to do. :P

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Which would you rather have?: Pokerus. It doesn't show up often, but it's useful for EV training.

Have you ever gotten one or the other?: Yes; I got both. I got lucky in Platinum, having owned 4 total shinies there before losing it. I was also lucky enough to preserve the Pokerus I got in that same Platinum game and was able to transfer it over to HG/SS.

Seeds Horizon

Gotta love that feeling~
    Years
  • Rare candies all the way.

Both are useless to me, cause Pokerus sounds like a Pokemon version of ToysRUs...>_>. Plus..It only helps with EV/IV training right? Guess what..I dont do either ^_^. I dont want to waste my time spending countless hours breeding and whatnot when im just going to reset my game anyway.

As for shinies...I mean, the chances of you getting a useful one, that I would actually maybe even a small chance of using once or twice, is extremely low. Id probably just trade it off for a Pokemon that I like...

So yeah..Id rather get a Rare Candy than both trying to get Pokerus or Shinies. Hey, its a free level right? Especially at the later levels when it takes agessssss to level up.

SuperSaiyanII

Cool Story Bro!!
    Years
  • I don't do too much wi-fi battling nowadays because way too many people rage quit right when I'm about to win so I don't need Pokerus. I'd much rather find a shiny just for the purpose of showing off.

Years
  • As a lowly AI killer I do not find Pokerus too useful, it keeps happening in the worst possible situations. Such as when I was doing a Hoenn Smoochum/Jynx solo maybe a year ago and got Pokerus before Rustboro - just to realize the first Pokemon in the game you can encounter that gives the SpA EVs I would have been keen to farm under these circumstances is Spinda. Or at least I'm pretty sure it is.
    And that one time I actually did serious EV training and had Pokerus around it just confused me and I kept messing up my calculations.

Shinies don't have any such disadvantages besides maybe suboptimal IVs (but who am I to care about sucky IVs), but they don't have any advantages either, besides that vain aesthetic aspect of course.

I don't particularly want a rare candy either, I keep saving them up and almost never use them, so all they do for me is eating up an item slot.

pokewalker

If it ain't Dutch,it ain'tmuch
    Years
  • Shinies of course, seing I'm shiny hunter :D But I also EV my shinies, so I also need PKRS. But I prefer shinies, yes :)

Years
  • I'd want the shiny pokemon more than pokerus. Shiny pokemon have always been interesting to me.

I have shiny pokemon, but I only got one legitimately. My shiny Hoot-Hoot from my Silver game. The rest are from trades or AR.

jespoke

Still do monotype challenges once in a blue moon
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2020
    I like shiny's more, because i have only EV trained a single pokemon in my life before. I have 2 shiny's, and legimate pokerus.

The way i got my Pokerus:

A friend of mine caught and traded me a pokemon, with happened to have pokerus. He hadn't any pokerus infected pokemon himself, but he didn't care so i kept it :P

Back