• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Shopping bags: Plastic or environmentally friendly?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Which type of shopping bags do you get? Do you just take the plastic ones that come with your items, or do you buy an "environmentally friendly" bag, or perhaps even bring your own? For all three options, why do you do so? Do you think the environmentally friendly ones actually are environmentally friendly? Or maybe the shops you visit only offer plastic ones! Do you ask for a plastic bag for small purchases or do you just carry the items?

Nan and Pop have environmentally friendly bags but they sort of forget to bring them and just get the plastic ones anyway. I haven't seen the effects the plastic bags have yet, but that's probably because I don't get out to... dumps often. I believe I heard something about plastic bags no longer being used in a few years and if that does happen, I think that'll be great, but it might be more costly on our part, considering we'll need to purchase new bags.

Years
  • Depends on where I'm shopping, and how I'm getting the stuff home.

If I'm stopping by the local grocery store on my way to work or on my way home, or if I'm picking up something from the mall, I have my backpack with me, so I put everything in there. If I'm going grocery shopping when someone's driving me there and back, I get plastic. I really should get my own bags for that but I haven't gotten around to it yet. XD;

Years
  • My mum bought an environmentally friendly bag to go shopping whenever she's out and about, she's...so much of a shop-a-holic that she has her own environmentally friendly bag for practically every store she goes to.

As for me? I just go for the plastic bags that are there when I pay for my junk, it was never something I put too much thought into.

RockHardSemi

Lv 53
    Years
  • I have a few of those reusable bags for doing the weekly shop. For trivial things, I just use my backpack.

I'm not one for actively trying to save the world, but I also don't see the point in using something when there's no need. Why use different plastic bags every week (which you throw away), when you can just use the same bags over and over?

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
    Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    I love the reusable bags and have at least one for each most-visited store. Being eco-friendly is good of course, but I also use them 'cause they're way more comfortable to carry, they hold more, and they don't break. Some, like the ones from Publix grocery stores, even have cool designs :3

Eternal Nightmare

Stunningly Handsome
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2015
    Noone in this house owns and environment friendly bag anymore. My little bro got one from school but we have no clue where that went

As for shopping I just take whatever bag is offered to me. I never put much thought into it and I hate shopping so anything to get out faster I assume.

Bologna

One might call me "hip"
    Years
    • Seen Feb 20, 2014
    We use plastic bags and reuse them around the house for garbage bins and whatnot, they're quite handy.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • We just use the plain old plastic bags. And given the number of groceries we get per shopping trip, we'd need to buy at least 20 reusable bags if we did utilize them.

To be fair, we do reuse plastic grocery bags for (small) trash bucket liners, makeshift laundry bags, and for simply carrying stuff around.

Drummershuff

Ultimate Blargification
    Years
  • All the grocery stores make you bring your own shopping bag, or you pay £.05 for a plastic one. Most people around here have gotten used to bringing their own bags to the store now, so plastic bag usage has definitely declined. For myself, I have a couple of environmentally friendly bags that I keep with me in the car and whatnot, so I rarely use plastic bags anymore.

Lady Nicole

hello o.o
    Years
  • I don't usually buy many things at once cos I know I'll have to walk home with them. Most of the time I just shove my things inside my bag or carry it if it won't fit, but if another bag is neccessary I use a plastic one o.o

viridian doubletongue

the world's greatest thief
    Years
  • supermarket plastic bags make me angry. mainly cuz i have to give so many out, seeing people abuse them... grrr.... honest, the world would be (however slightly) a better place if everyone used their own storage. if it is possible i will carry shopping with my hands.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    I just use what they give me, more often so a plastic bag.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Paper and plastic are what is mainly used whenever the "big" grocery shopping is done. It means less bags because I can pack more in there, and I find them easier to carry on my arms to make less trips. Besides, paper bags are recycled where I live, and plastic bags I either use for garbage bags or recycle where I work.

I do have a few environmentally-friendly bags, but those are used more for carrying supplies whenever a trip is planned, rather than for weekly trips to the store. And, well, the store I work/shop at really doesn't have the strongest reusable bags around.

cyan.

▲ 愛してる .
    Years
  • my mom buys plastic bags when she forgets her environmental ones, and she uses them as garbage bags after she reuses them a few times.

Back