• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should doing drugs be a crime?

Bay

Years
    I want to point out something.

Almost all cases where a drug addict is being trialed for drug use or anything of that matter, they are giving the option of jail or rehab.

Most however choose jail, because there are ways to get the drugs they crave in jail
    One way is by bringing a Boggle game. :P

Considering the fact that doing drugs is illegal, I think it should be illegal.
    Hm, I thought I heard there are some countries that legalize the "bad" drugs or don't enforce the drug laws at least, but I think it also depends on the countries and which drugs are okay over there, so it varies.

Dealing drugs should be illegal, doing drugs shouldn't be.

Prisons are full enough with murderers and white collar criminals who deserve to be in there.
    If that is the case, how will the people be able to get it without resorting to underground? If doing drugs is fine, then there must be a means of a free competitive market where the people can buy drugs with no hassle. Making something illegal sets a limit on something and can't be bypassed (how people are able to find loopholes and such though is another story).

Anyways, I know at least in my country drug laws are enforced, so pretty much it's a crime no matter what. Part of the reason why I'm okay with that is because it's one way to make easy money, which can leave huge consequences on the drug user, the drug seller, anyone connected to them, etc.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Many people are arrested simply for possessing it. There isn't any evidence left in the body that the person smoked it with the exclusion of marijuana.
    I think that people should have the right to do what they want with their body if they are fully aware of what they are doing.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Well I'm a bit on conservative side and I think drugs are harmful to people. We should offer subsidized rehabilitation services to people with severe addictions that are an immediate health risk but I it shouldn't be a crime because they are addicted.

Cases that are that really life threatening can see people being civilly commited.

P.S.
    The federal government actually does have authority in drug crimes anytime the substances cross state lines.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    If that is the case, how will the people be able to get it without resorting to underground? If doing drugs is fine, then there must be a means of a free competitive market where the people can buy drugs with no hassle. Making something illegal sets a limit on something and can't be bypassed (how people are able to find loopholes and such though is another story).
    Legalize, tax it, and then sell it in pharmacies then.

blackwell

Minarchist
    Years
    Fed dosnt have such an authority to fight their tyranical drug war. Legalize and tax it. Prohibition is a perfect example people didnt stop drinking they just went undergound with it. The drug war simply is not worth the cost.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Fed dosnt have such an authority to fight their tyranical drug war. Legalize and tax it. Prohibition is a perfect example people didnt stop drinking they just went undergound with it. The drug war simply is not worth the cost.

Are you saying they don't or shouldn't have that authority?

Because the federal government has had the authority to regulate interstate commerce for a long time now.

blackwell

Minarchist
    Years
    They dont, they can not and should not overide the states on drug issue. It isnt considered commerce because its illegal to buy sell or own in the first place. ( BTW judicial review is horse ****.)

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    They dont, they can not and should not overide the states on drug issue. It isnt considered commerce because its illegal to buy sell or own in the first place. ( BTW judicial review is horse ****.)

It's interastate commerce whenever goods (legal or illegal) cross state or national borders.

blackwell

Minarchist
    Years
    No trade of the good needs to be legal for that to apply... Its a power grab from the states dont pretend otherwise your citing that power extremely loosely.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    No trade of the good needs to be legal for that to apply... Its a power grab from the states dont pretend otherwise your citing that power extremely loosely.

Take this example:
    A drug traffiicker has narcotics created in New York and has them driven or flown to California for sale.

Without the federal doctrine of intersrtate commerce, he (or she) could be prosecuted in every state those narcotics passed through on it's journey without violating the double jeopardy clause of the Constitution because each of those states is it's own sovereign jurisdiction.

Under the federal system, the states will leave him or her to be tried in federal court only once.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
    I agree that dealing drugs should be a crime, they're ruining the lives of other people just to make a profit, and that should be punishable. The addicts area actual the victims in the situation, as the dealers are the ones who make them addicts...

(I'm not including marijuana in this statement through... but that's a whole other discussion.)

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    I agree that dealing drugs should be a crime, they're ruining the lives of other people just to make a profit, and that should be punishable. The addicts area actual the victims in the situation, as the dealers are the ones who make them addicts...

(I'm not including marijuana in this statement through... but that's a whole other discussion.)

Maybe using marijuana isn't too bad but dealing it should still be criminal.
    We still outlax selling tobacco and alcohol without a license so it makes sense that non-licensed persons would be prohibited from selling marijuana.

PokemonLeagueChamp

Traveling Hoenn once more.
    Years
    Weed and crack=illegal. They should stay that way.
    Acid, shroomies, meth, and ecstacy=scary stuff. DEFINITELY needs to stay illegal.
    Tobacco=should be illegal.
    Alcohol=needs more restrictions to prevent overuse and things like drunk driving.
    That's all I'll say.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    Considering the fact that doing drugs is illegal, I think it should be illegal.
    Come on, Zet, you're better than this. Unless you're referencing this, in which case, kudos.

No, drugs should not be illegal. As a matter of fact, any crime that doesn't specifically hurt a person or entity shouldn't be a crime in the first place. If a person wants to hurt themselves, we should try and help convince them otherwise, but punishing them for it isn't just a waste of time and money, it just doesn't make any sense.

Last edited:

PokemonLeagueChamp

Traveling Hoenn once more.
    Years
    You really don't know what drugs do, do you? They make you want more and more and more, so you WILL steal to get money for more(criminal act). If the dealer pisses you off, or someone has money and won't give it to you, you'll likely kill them(criminal act), all in the name of drugs.
    They are NOT worth legalizing.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    You really don't know what drugs do, do you? They make you want more and more and more, so you WILL steal to get money for more(criminal act). If the dealer pisses you off, or someone has money and won't give it to you, you'll likely kill them(criminal act), all in the name of drugs.
    They are NOT worth legalizing.
    I was referring more to marijuana and hallucinogens and such, but yes, there are drugs that have a tendency to create victims, like cocaine and such. These ones should not be outlawed either, but the distribution of them should be illegal. Punishing those who are fooled into using such crap are victims, themselves; giving them a criminal record isn't exactly going to make their lives any better (people with criminal records almost never get hired, so how do the get money? Answer: by selling drugs).

Back