• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should I buy a DS?

Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2016
    I'm not sure whether to buy a Nintendo DS...

I'm really liking the new DS Lite released soon and I might buy it, but people are telling me the PSP is MUCH better because you can watch videos and play music on it.
    Can you play music/watch videos on the DS with special software?

I really want the DS so I can play 'Diamond or Pearl' when they are released. Please give me your thoughts :classic:

Twilight Itachi X

Twilight X. The ultimate.
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Sep 17, 2008
    Yeah the DS can watch movies with some software, but it is pretty expensive. But still, I wouldn't buy a gaming system to watch movies. My opinion, but PSP doesn't have that much good games on it besides the anime fighting games it gets (Bleach, Naruto: Narutimate Portable, etc.) and the system itself is expensive, then you have to get a memory stick which you have to spend even more money on. PSP's kind of overrated to me. I wouldn't spend that much on a portable. I'm thinking of getting a DS Lite on my birthday to get Diamond/Pearl and other games on it. And it's pretty affordable too. There's alot more games on want on DS than PSP anyways (I still want to play Pokemon Trozei and Naruto Saikyou Ninja Daikessu 4 on it!).

k.webb

noob
    Years
  • major DUH

ds is the FARTHESt theyve come in gameboy tech. and its got games u cant get on the gba. PLUS+pearl and diamond are only on nintendo DS!=FUN.all the games (most i should say) are fun!

Zero ex

Swordmaster
    Years
  • Thoug, for psp you do not need to buy other memory stick, unless you want to hear music or watch videos. Every savedata is of 50 to 245 kb and psp come with a 32mb meroy stick.

About the ds, that depends, don't buy it only for one game, check if there are more games or if there will be more games(by thati mean if you have seen cool games in e3 or something lol.) that you could like for the ds. and that goes to for the psp.

None is better than the other, some people like more ds's games than psp's games, and vice-versa.

Years
  • From my personal experience, get a DS. There is a better selection of games. It is cheaper. It is more durable.

Trust me. I have both a PSP and a DS and the DS is used a lot more.

Jeremy

<font color="deepskyblue">Sweetie</font>
    Years
  • DS and the DS lite has a great library of games, durable, and has a great price too.
    The PSP, is more like an oversized iPod...to me. XD

Yes you can play music and videos on the DS...using homebrewed apps.
    I would suggest getting a DS, if you want a better gaming experience, sweetie.

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
  • Click here
    Isn't that pretty, $800 dollars worth of hardware. XD

Both me and my brother own a DS and a PSP (as you can see). So I'm speaking from example.
    Buy a DS, it's that simple. But if you'd like I'd give a few reasons to go with a DS over a PSP.

PSP:
    MP3 player ~ If you got an iPod or a computer that has your music on it then don't worry about buying it for that.
    Movie player ~ DON'T buy it for a movie player if you got a DVD player. The UMDs (the discs for the PSP) don't hold as much as a DVD, so you'll be getting less stuff then what you would have on the DVD. On top of that, why would you want to watch a movie on that screen if you could watch it on your TV?
    Pics ~ You got a computer, why put the pics on your PSP?

So it comes right down to games. If you know of some good games you'd like to play on your PSP then go out and get one. But for me if I could, I'd go back and smack myself and stop myself before buying the PSP (and my brother would do the same to himself). I spent $250 dollars plus a $40 dollar game and I get no use for my PSP. I turn it on maybe once a month, and I haven't played that game in 6 months or more. So as you can see I get no use out of the PSP for what it's real reason is (a game system).

DS:
    Games ~ What else can you judge the DS on? Maybe lack of graphics (as in next to the PSP), but graphics doesn't make a game fun. Pong was a big hit, Pac-Man, Donkey Kong (the first game Mario was in), and others were great great big hits yet the graphics were bad. The games were fun and that's what mattered. Same with the DS, I got 3 DS games all are really fun. I got them because they looked fun, not because it has great looks. To me the DS is way way way way............. ahead of the PSP on good games. Not only me but most DS and PSP owners will say the same, and also game sites and shows (everything from GameSpot to IGN to X-Play says the DS is more fun then the PSP).

If you want game play then go with the DS. But if you have to have all them other things then go with the PSP. But before you buy one look at the thing you should be looking at the most. The games, if you find games you like on the PSP then get it, same goes for the DS. You're buying a handheld game system, not a home entertainment package. Yes most everyone that owns a PSP (who doesn't own a DS) says "The PSP rules!!!!!" mainly because you can watch movies, play songs, and view pics. I own both, and I've been on both sides (I've said that the PSP is way better then the DS), and I'm telling you, if I had to pick one I'd pick the DS.

Years
    • Seen Sep 27, 2006
    I prefer the DS. It's got a lot of fun games, and you can play GBA games on it. The PSP is fun too though.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Jeremy said:
    DS and the DS lite has a great library of games, durable, and has a great price too.
    The PSP, is more like an oversized iPod...to me. XD

Yes you can play music and videos on the DS...using homebrewed apps.
    I would suggest getting a DS, if you want a better gaming experience, sweetie.

I agree...DSs DO have better games. Plus all the new Pokemon games are coming out for the DS later on... < Thus why I'm getting a DS Lite later this week. x3
    Plus...DS has a touch-screen.... PS doesn't have a freaking touch-screen! XP Thus DS = better. XD

I've played both due to friends, and the DS, in my opinion is much better, since its more fun.

Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2021
    I was wondering, can you use the GBA-GBA, GBA-GCN, or the GBA wireless link on the DS/DS Lite??

Forest Grovyle

Resident Reptilian Artist
    Years
  • I absolutely love my DS :) I play on it a lot and really recommend getting a DS Lite (I couldn't wait that long! XD)

As far as I know you can't use those cables, they're GBA-only. But the DS should be able to link up with Nintendo's upcoming Wii console.

--FG

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • corganzero:

No, no, and...no.

The DS and DS Lite are not compatible with any Game Boy Advance accessories. Which is a bit depressing. I wanted to use my e-Reader on it and hook it up to TWW and Animal Crossing.

Rena Ryuugu

はぅ〜
    Years
  • I'm currently saving up for a DS lite. I From what I've read in this thread... Get a DS or DS lite. Otherwise you couldn't play Diamond, Pearl, or Pokemon Ranger.

Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2021
    TRIFORCE89 said:
    corganzero:

No, no, and...no.

The DS and DS Lite are not compatible with any Game Boy Advance accessories. Which is a bit depressing. I wanted to use my e-Reader on it and hook it up to TWW and Animal Crossing.

crap. cause right now i'm doing my gba gaming on an original gba with no battery back, a scratched up screen, and speakers that have had iced tea poured inside on two seperate occasions.

Years
  • Get a DS i got one its got some great games like advance wars DS but more importantly the new pokemon games will be on it. If i would wanted to listen to music as i travelled i would buy an ipod not a bulky PSP

MOON~DANCER

All I've got is insane.
    Years
  • yes you should get a ds...and you should also get Animal crossing wild world, mario kart ds,super mario 64 ds those are the main games i suggest for the ds ^^

Skitty-chan

Give her a hug! DO IT! > _ <
    Years
  • Yeah, the DS is way better then the PSP. One of the reasons I think so... has already been stated. But another reason is that Nintendo has always made games for gaming purposes. They always kept that promise that they will always base their game systems on games not to watch your movies on or listen to music, but to just play games. Not to mention, of course this my opinion, the only games I find fun on the PSP is... Yeah, I don't like any of them. Oooh! Another WWII shooter. Fart on that. And then Nintendo has WarioWare Touched! (Which I want by the way...)

Yeah, get a DS if you want to play games. Get a PSP is you want to show your friends your summer vacation pics.

Kraka-chan

From the Kraka Club
    Years
  • tommyonline said:
    I'm not sure whether to buy a Nintendo DS...

I'm really liking the new DS Lite released soon and I might buy it, but people are telling me the PSP is MUCH better because you can watch videos and play music on it.
    Can you play music/watch videos on the DS with special software?

I really want the DS so I can play 'Diamond or Pearl' when they are released. Please give me your thoughts :classic:
    I'd like to get a PSP, but they're really expensive. <sighs>

I would really recommend the DS though. Most of the DS games make terrific use of the touch screen function. My personal faves are: Wario Ware: Touched, Nintendogs, Animal Crossing: Wild World and Mario Kart DS.

Oh, and I've heard somewhere that once you get either the DS or the PSP, you'll not want to get the other. After all, I do have my reasons for not getting a PSP.

marshmello

i'm a star :)
    Years
  • no, spend your money on something more intresting and soething that has more use, something that makes you like it everytime you go on it - a psp, it has so many more uses than a DS, DS's you can, touch it and move it...wow. save up and get a psp. :classic:

Back