• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Should I wait for Z?

ubermola

He of the Obscure References
Years
    • Seen May 6, 2014
    When G/S came out, i bought gold, and thus missed out on crystal, which was better, but not better enough for me to justify spending 30-40$ on it. The same thing happened for RSE and DPP. For BW, however, buying white was a good thing because the sequals were essentially different games than the original. As such, my question is this, do you think that it is a good idea to wait for Z, or do you think that any new gen VI game will have as much new content as B2W2, which would make it a good idea to purchase XY now? Other view points that i have not even thought of would also be much appreciated. Thanks for chipping in.

Years
  • Pokemon"Z" is just a Guess of the name.
    Platinum was originaly called Opal before it came out.
    And no, I think you should just buy the games now.
    Tho waiting is also good tho to. This was the first pokemon game for 3DS so the next game(s) should be better.

ubermola

He of the Obscure References
    Years
    • Seen May 6, 2014
    Waiting will not be that much of a problem as i do not have that much time to play games, and have plenty of other games on my to play list (fire emblem:awakening being the most obvious). And yes i am aware that z is not necessarily the title, but zygarde made this a good enough guess to use in the thread title (x2/y2 is the most obvious case where Z would not be the title.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    If I were you, I wouldn't wait. Who knows, maybe Pokémon Z (or whatever they end up calling it) might not be the same as X and Y—maybe it's completely different with new story, new protagonists, antagonists, rivals, locations, etc, and etc, sort of like Black 2 and White 2? If that turns out to be the case, then anything that they had in X and Y, you're going to miss out on it. Hope that makes sense. Most of us have gotten these games already—so should you. (:

Caiustheblack

Breeder for the sake of it.
    Years
  • We are speaking about 3 new legendary events missing for x and y.... ..... this means at least 18 months until pokemon "Z" release.
    If you want a suggestion, wait for the Bank system to be released before buying the game. This way you ll be able to work instantly towards national dex and beat the game with your favourite team from the old gens' games (not to mention with december's sales going on price could drop a bit ^^)

LoudSilence

more like uncommon sense
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Aug 7, 2016
    The story between X and Y was already somewhat different with the different legendaries, so whatever they call the next interation, there is most likely going to be a different story again (meaning you won't be buying a similar product with minor improvements)

To be honest the 3rd game release did always fix certain things but was never enough to justify making a new purchase imo. You won't be missing out on anything by not waiting, whereas you may possibly miss some event giveaways and stuff if you do wait. I'd say go for X or Y man, you won't regret it!

Years
    • Seen Sep 6, 2014
    I would buy the game instead of waiting. I remember everyone was so exited for Pokemon Grey to come out and then Nintendo was just like JK we are just going to make Pokemon Black 2 and White 2. And I'm just guessing they might do that again for x and y but who knows. So if you have some extra money to spend I'd buy it.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    If you feel you can wait, go ahead. We might not know if Z will ever be a thing but at the very least we know there will be sequels of some kind. The sequels will likely have more post game content too.

That's only if you can wait though.

Personally I felt like the 5th gen had the most different sequels to the originals so far, so it might be worth getting both this gen too if possible.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    There is no guarantee that we're even getting a "Z" title at the end of this generation. Gen 5 broke the tradition of three titles within the same region as well as broke the tradition of the third game just being a slightly edited rehash of the originally released games.

We have 0 evidence that they will continue with old traditions so there is a chance we won't get "Z".

Same instance with other negatives like, we may not get a continuation and move straight into the next Generation after 2 more years. With a possible total of 3 years, we could easily move to the next game, if you want to trust the mysterious Hiker NPC's claim that we will be seeing another new region in the near future.

There were other possible hints that we'll move forward in a few of Gamefreak and TPC's interviews with them promoting the advancement of the Pokemon world, and with Matsuda dropping the "The Pokebank will have more use in the future and can transport Pokemon from today's games to future generations." Paraphrased as it was a translated statement with story.

Get the games while you can for that just in case scenario that we won't get extra games this generation.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • I always buy at least 1 version every release and if there is a 'Z', I'd gladly buy another to enjoy the "progess/ difference" between the games.

I'd say you should just get X or Y, and then the next game - Since there won't be a 100% promise there will be a 'Z', probably they jump to the next generation, or a revamp of a previous game (RSE anyone?), or it could be like Black and White with a continuing series.

Quinn

Shall we get down to business?
    Years
  • When G/S came out, i bought gold, and thus missed out on crystal, which was better, but not better enough for me to justify spending 30-40$ on it. The same thing happened for RSE and DPP. For BW, however, buying white was a good thing because the sequals were essentially different games than the original. As such, my question is this, do you think that it is a good idea to wait for Z, or do you think that any new gen VI game will have as much new content as B2W2, which would make it a good idea to purchase XY now? Other view points that i have not even thought of would also be much appreciated. Thanks for chipping in.

Black and white had no Gray ver, i think it is a gamble to wait because since they haven't done it since diamond and pearl, they might be shying way from it, i have already bought both and if another one comes out i will get it also, i would take the risk and just get the game now since you might miss out of the hole game if "z" never comes.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • I haven't played X or Y yet myself (but stoked to get them next week!), but if I were you I would get X or Y now. Reason being there's no telling when Z will come out. The third version isn't always a huge improvement over the paired ones. Emerald in particular wasn't really that much better than Ruby and Sapphire. So it might not even be worth the potentially 2 year long wait.

Plus, as others have said, it might end up being sequels rather than a separate version, in which case you'll need to have played X and Y.

So I say get them. Especially now, before the hype dies down :)

Last edited:

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • There is no guarantee that we're even getting a "Z" title at the end of this generation. Gen 5 broke the tradition of three titles within the same region as well as broke the tradition of the third game just being a slightly edited rehash of the originally released games.

We have 0 evidence that they will continue with old traditions so there is a chance we won't get "Z".

Same instance with other negatives like, we may not get a continuation and move straight into the next Generation after 2 more years. With a possible total of 3 years, we could easily move to the next game, if you want to trust the mysterious Hiker NPC's claim that we will be seeing another new region in the near future.

There were other possible hints that we'll move forward in a few of Gamefreak and TPC's interviews with them promoting the advancement of the Pokemon world, and with Matsuda dropping the "The Pokebank will have more use in the future and can transport Pokemon from today's games to future generations." Paraphrased as it was a translated statement with story.

Get the games while you can for that just in case scenario that we won't get extra games this generation.
    That is a possibility, though I wouldn't say it'll take three years if they are to pull such a stunt with only XY as Gen VI, they'll need something to fill in one of those years at least, if not then in two years they can move on to Gen VII, IF they are only doing XY that is.

White Raven

Working on The Mysterious Meteorite
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Sep 1, 2015
    You should get a game. Events may not rerelease for the third game, and you might miss out on a lot of good Pokemon!!!

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • Why wait? Whether we get a rehashed third version, sequels, RS remakes, or jump right into Gen VII, it's going to be a year or two before we hear any of these things. So I would recommend getting either X or Y and just play at your own pace. The games are incredibly fun, so I think you'd enjoy it.

Jeanne also makes a good point about exclusive events. Whatever event Nintendo might hold for X and Y, may not come around again for the next version(s) or for a long time. So you'd want to get those while you can.

DanteSolablood

Internet Celebrity
    Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2014
    Hey there, as people have already said there is no guarantee that there will be a "Pokémon Z", in fact with all the rumours about "other regions" around at the moment it's seeming ever more likely that the next Pokémon game will be drastically different than X & Y whatever it's called. It could be call Pokémon Z but be set in a whole new region!

Another good reason to pick up X or Y rather than waiting is that it's more fun to play online and with friends at the same time!! If you wait too long, most people will be at different stages in the game or have different levels of enthusiasm for the game and that is sooooooo annoying!

Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2014
    I'm not even sure they'll make any single release games in the Pokemon series ever again. Double releases just sells more copies for hardly any extra effort. Also, the legendary starting with Z is already in X and Y, so even if they do one, I don't think it will be Z.

I think X and Y are well worth getting. Besides the leveling curve being out of whack I don't see any obvious flaws in X and Y that a sequel would fix.

KittenKoder

I Am No One Else
    Years
  • I highly doubt there will be a Pokemon Z. Get X or Y, even if they did do a third, it won't have that much extra and will be released close to Gen 7's release, but if you wait and hope they make a third one, you'll miss out on a lot of Gen 6 after E4 fun, the wifi battles.

Each month (I think it's per month) they are doing "special" battles, it's a rating battle with unique rules. The current one is restricted only to Gen 6 pokemon, and I wager they will all be a lot of fun to participate in as time progresses. I don't have a viable Gen 6 only team so I haven't played in those yet.

If anything though, get X or Y for the story, it's the most beautiful story in any video game ever. The ending is ... perfect.

Back