• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should Pok?mon make a true leap into 3D?

Should Pok?mon make a true leap into 3D?

• Yes

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Years
    • MD
    • Seen Mar 17, 2007
    Synchronize said:
    They need to make the 3-d Versions a mix between The GBA versions, XD and Stadium; a Storyline with gyms, minigames, Pokemon School, and gyms with more of a challenge than those in the storyline. Heck they could even have the GBA connect to the GCN and have them interact like they did in Luigi's Mansion or Mickey's MAgic Mirror.
    Well, of course the storyline and what not would have to get a major overhaul as I think we can all agree though the handheld games are great there very thin when it comes to story. In fact until R/S/E there was really zero story in the games which is why I like that those games finally added some real story.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    I was recently thinking about a new console version of Pokemon. It would take the graphics of XD and Colosseum, but provide gameplay that is reminiscent of the handheld games we have grown to love. Here were my suggestions:

- First off, I would have the game keep the text, but also add the voices. With today's tech and data storage, it is crazy that they didn't add that into XD. Crazy, I tell ya!!

- I want to keep the text, basically because it is a great reading tool for my youngest son. Sounds a little silly, but it is quite effective. Maybe a feature to turn on/off the text.

- My next suggestion would be to make the storyline longer and less structured. Get away from the typical game flow (starter, gym, E4, longass credits, gotta catch em all), and add more side quests. I understand the game is setup to help younger kids stay on course, but that can stay intact while at the same time give them more options. Keep the progression as such that a player can be as quick or as slow as they want.

- On a related note, change how you play the game. The player should be given the option to be a Poke trainer, Poke breeder, Poke researcher, Team Rocket/Aqua/Magma/Snagem/Cipher member, or even a Poke policeman. For instance, a Poke breeder could have their own Day Care, focusing on the breeding aspect, and having other AI/Real players take Pokes to train them.

- While I enjoyed how RSE began, you were still stuck with a choice of your three typical Poke types. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Mix up the types and the number of choices you have. The mixed starter types in RSE was a good start, now just abandon the Fire/Water/Grass fixation and open it up a bit.

- Make the area bigger. Give the player an option of starting in Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Orre, or even Orange. Each region has its own storyline that makes it unique. If you start in one region, give the ability to go to another region (like GSC), but scale back the storyline for that region (like GSC). More playability, more fun.

- Get rid of the National Pokedex limitation. If I want to trade in an Evee with its five evolutions to play the game that way, I should be able to do it. Just because I don't have the NP yet, shouldn't mean I cannot start out with Pokes from other regions.

- Give the option of having a Poke walk/run with you instead of lugging them around in their Poke Cell....errr Ball. I have seen a few screenshots from DP that this might be a reality, but we are talking about our own game here. Plus, if your Poke is big enough (i.e. Growlithe, Fearow, etc.), have an option where you can ride on your Poke instead of walking/running/biking. Flying on a Poke, while still being limited to the boundaries of the route, would simply own.

- With that in mind, instead of totally random Poke encounters in the grass, allow the player to see some of the Pokes roaming around. Sure, you could still get ambushed from time to time, but give more control to the user.

- When you use Fly or Surf or Dive, use the actual Poke pixel, not just a generic one. If I am surfing on a Linoone, I want to see my character on the back of one. Same as Fly.

- Speaking of Fly, allow the user to fly ANYWHERE on the map that they have visited before, not just to a PC or the entrance to the E4. At least to the beginning of any route you have visited.

- Have more random encounters with trainers too. Some can be stationary, but some should be roaming just like you are. Plus, as they are roaming, have their Pokes grow too. Similar to the reporter in RSE. Have the levels of the Pokes be similar to the levels of your own. Oh yeah, have the trainers let their Pokes evolve too. Seeing a Level 50 pre-evolution is just wrong.

- Even though Gyms are typically geared towards a specific type, give Gym Leaders a greater selection of Pokes, allowing them to cover obvious weaknesses. Also, get rid of the AI only using items on a Poke when its HP has reached a pre-determined level. That is too predictable and too easy to get around. Give trainers/leaders traits just as Pokes do. Some trainers use items religiously, some switch out, some are balanced. That would greatly improve the strategy in-game. Currently, players play one way in-game and then when they battle someone else, they try to apply the same techniques and get plastered. While more advanced, this option will make players better.

- Get rid of the E4. It has been played and played and been proven wanting. Not only can you destroy the W(eak)4 50 times, when you go back they act like you are still a challenger. Seriously, how many times do we have to watch Gary complain about losing the title to you right after he won it, even though you have destroyed him 50 times? Instead of the W4, do what the original cartoon had. Colosseum. Once you have all the badges, you go to the Colosseum in the region and battle the REAL way. You could even include the W4 as your last challenge to qualify for the Colosseum, although that seems like a stretch. Maybe if you beat the W4, you get a bye for the first few rounds. That would work.

- Once you are deemed champion of a region, have the game make you defend your title in regular Colosseum battles. Plus, give the option to leave the region and work on becoming champ of another region. Also, once you are champ, have champs from other regions call you for challenges.

- Similar to picking how you want to start the game, allow the player an option on how they want to continue the game. Give an option for the player to become a gym leader. Have the player pick their junior trainers and have regular battles with AI/real players. Also get the numbers of all your challengers so that you can see how they are progressing and let them challenge you again. As I suggested before, while you must have some certain Pokes that fit the type of gym, have the ability to use other Pokes too. Plus, in-between challenges, the player can take their Pokes out to get more experience or to level up new Pokes that you want on the team.

Well, that is a pretty short list of what I would LOVE to see in a new Pokemon game. A game like this would be in a word - WOW.

Years
    • MD
    • Seen Mar 17, 2007
    shanecdavis said:
    A game like this would be in a word - WOW.
    That's my point as a game like the one you mentioned would be awesome and it just begs the question what is wrong with Nintendo for not making a game like that yet.

All your ideas I have had in mind as what I like to see in a true 3D game, I personally think they should make two types. One in which its like Zelda in which you start out as a pre-selected characters and going on a specific journey. The second type would be a MMORPG version in which you can make up how you like your character to look, choose an occupation i.e. Trainer, Breeder and so on. And from there pick which region you like to start in though I will say I like to keep the games roots and still have the same ol' 3 starter types as I don't find them to be a snooze fest.

About the world being bigger, in a 3D landscape the world would obviously be made bigger in fact I feel the 2D games areas should be bigger as a town usually only contains a few houses which isn't a town in my opinion as its more like a 6th of a town.

As for what you said about riding your Pok?mon, they do that already with your Pok?mon that Fly and Surf though I do feel you should be able to fly anywhere as well as also teleport anywhere. Something I thought of was what if you could use Dig to get around like say you get a Diglett to do Dig then you could travel underground to say avoid trainers, wild Pok?mon and barriers made with small tree's where you normally have to use CUT.

I like all your ideas and I too have lots more like you do so like to chat more on the subject privately?

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    phunboy said:
    As for what you said about riding your Pok?mon, they do that already with your Pok?mon that Fly and Surf though I do feel you should be able to fly anywhere as well as also teleport anywhere. ?
    What I meant is that instead of Running Shoes or a Bicycle, you could choose to actually ride on the back of one of your appropriate Pokes. Imagine rumbling through a route on the back of an Arcanine or a Rapidash, or even flying through it on the back of a Charizard or Gyarados. As for Fly/Dive/Surf, what I want is to actually ride the Poke that has the move, not a shadow of a bird or the back of a Wailmer.

Chronos

Not named from YGO-GX.
    Years
  • As good as that sounds, I'm afraid I don't think Pokemon should go 3D. The slowdown would be awful, and it would take game designers well over a year to finish if they were to do it properly.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Hell, I would give them two years if they could come up with a product that addresses what most of us are wanting. Every year I expect something new, and every year they just dress up the same thing in more expensive clothes. Like many have said before, I don't want to replace the handheld games, but create a console game based on the same principles, but with major improvements. I don't know about anyone else, but seeing XD with only music and text was VERY disappointing. Just look at what EA Sports and EA Games are doing right now. There is no reason that Game Freak/Nintendo shouldn't be able to provide a high-end product that covers, at the VERY least, half of what I have outlined.

ShadowTails

I'm working on a better Avatar
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Mar 7, 2015
    ok, heres the real question, technically Pokemon Stadium/2 and XD and Colleseum were all 3D they used 3D models and everything, its just that the game view and such was technically 2.5D, much like sonic rush, but they would have to work really hard to make pure 3D pokemon, one thing, how would battles work? you control the pokemon? how would you dodge? I imaging A,B,X,Y would be attacks on the DS, L and R would be kinda dumb to dodge and block, not to mention other attacks like tail whip... if you ask me 2D all the way, all they have to do is make the textures 2D and keep them like that, unlimited pallet would be awsome, not to mention other effects, I still wonder about the DS game, will it have the battle screen on the top and the touch will be items/pokemon?... Its all confusing to me now... but I agree a revolution game wouldn't be too bad off, you could do much with that, but it would take years...

With other questions in mind, voices would have to be optional as to what language... I can't stand the english pokemon voices/names... ever since the 3rd generation they didn't make much since, I would also like to be able to choose wether pokemon could have the romaji version names or just pure japanese names. I like playing games in japanese then seeing what the idiots sound like in the english versions usually because english versions tend to lack emotion quite often.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2007
    I say keep them 2D. It's a dying art, which is unfortunate, because I really enjoy the look of high-quality 2D pixels.

Fl0W:HHGURU

Used to be pokEMOn UseR =]
    Years
  • Yep 2D all the way, pokemon wouldnt have the same feel as they do now, and anyway, i find myself playing my GBA poke games alot more than both my GC poke games ^_^

Synchronize

Donphan: My Fourth Love
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Oct 5, 2008
    Chronos said:
    As good as that sounds, I'm afraid I don't think Pokemon should go 3D. The slowdown would be awful, and it would take game designers well over a year to finish if they were to do it properly.

Im sure the DS can handle it.

Years
    • MD
    • Seen Mar 17, 2007
    shanecdavis said:
    What I meant is that instead of Running Shoes or a Bicycle, you could choose to actually ride on the back of one of your appropriate Pokes. Imagine rumbling through a route on the back of an Arcanine or a Rapidash, or even flying through it on the back of a Charizard or Gyarados. As for Fly/Dive/Surf, what I want is to actually ride the Poke that has the move, not a shadow of a bird or the back of a Wailmer.
    I know what you meant but Running Shoes or a Bicycle would cover short transportation needs therefore re hauling everything just to do something Running Shoes or a Bicycle already do would be a waste of time and effort though I will say I love to be able to do it as it make transportation more fun though if you would want them to do it like you want which means a different sprite per Pok?mon it be just alot of needless work. I may like to have such a feature but I am being realistic plus lots of Pok?mon wouldn't have that feature if it was used realistically like for instants when you start R/S/E alot of the first Pok?mon you come across couldn't carry you so you have to either wait awhile for them to grow into something that could or wait until you capture one that could. Like it never made sense how a small Pidgey with Fly could pick you up and fly you long distances, I mean maybe it could fly you a block at most but it be far too weak for the long haul across towns.

Chronos said:
    As good as that sounds, I'm afraid I don't think Pokemon should go 3D. The slowdown would be awful, and it would take game designers well over a year to finish if they were to do it properly.
    pokEMOn UseR said:
    Yep 2D all the way, pokemon wouldnt have the same feel as they do now, and anyway, i find myself playing my GBA poke games alot more than both my GC poke games ^_^
    Despain said:
    I say keep them 2D. It's a dying art, which is unfortunate, because I really enjoy the look of high-quality 2D pixels.
    Synchronize said:
    Im sure the DS can handle it.
    Once again your all thinking the 3D game be on a handheld, it would be on the consoles as there be no slow down, as I said 2D for the handhelds and 3D for the consoles. I don't see why you all still keep thinking I mean 3D for the handhelds.
    ShadowTails said:
    ok, heres the real question, technically Pokemon Stadium/2 and XD and Colleseum were all 3D they used 3D models and everything
    Yes, but they weren't a true Pok?mon gaming experience as you didn't earn Badges, battle Gym Leaders and capture tons of wild Pok?mon.

Last edited:

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    phunboy said:

I know what you meant but Running Shoes or a Bicycle would cover short transportation needs therefore re hauling everything just to do something Running Shoes or a Bicycle already do would be a waste of time and effort though I will say I love to be able to do it as it make transportation more fun though if you would want them to do it like you want which means a different sprite per Pok?mon it be just alot of needless work. I may like to have such a feature but I am being realistic plus lots of Pok?mon wouldn't have that feature if it was used realistically like for instants when you start R/S/E alot of the first Pok?mon you come across couldn't carry you so you have to either wait awhile for them to grow into something that could or wait until you capture one that could. Like it never made sense how a small Pidgey with Fly could pick you up and fly you long distances, I mean maybe it could fly you a block at most but it be far too weak for the long haul across towns.
    I think we are on the same wavelength here, but if you read my suggestions again, I want the place to be much bigger. Runnings Shoes and a Bike do cover short distances, but I don't want many short distances in this new game. Like it was said before, I want a town to be a frickin town, not 4 lame houses and a PC/PM/PG. Colosseum (I cannot say anything about XD) had the right idea, but it was too linear. Each town should have storylines within it. Now, on the routes themselves, they should be bigger too. In Colosseum, all that ever happens is your character riding on his hog. Well, I want to add to that. Running from one town to the next would be tiring, as would pedaling your *** off on a bike. Nothing like climbing aboard an appropriate Poke and roam around on them. Of course you couldn't ride or fly on a Poke early, just like you cannot get the HM Fly early in the game either. Only a good trainer would have enough trust from its Poke in order to ride it. When you start out, you are going to be hoofing it. Gotta earn those privileges, my friend. That just opens up a lot of possibilities later in the game.

And once again, as you have said, my ideas are NOT for a handheld. What I am thinking about probably wouldn't even work on a DS either. No, this would have to be on a Nintendo console that rivaled PS3 or XBox 360. Not sure if they are planning on anything, but this would definitely give me incentive to buy it. I am already saving up money to get a DS so that I can play the upcoming DP version. Just my thoughts.

Years
    • MD
    • Seen Mar 17, 2007
    shanecdavis said:
    I think we are on the same wavelength here, but if you read my suggestions again, I want the place to be much bigger. Runnings Shoes and a Bike do cover short distances, but I don't want many short distances in this new game. Like it was said before, I want a town to be a frickin town, not 4 lame houses and a PC/PM/PG. Colosseum (I cannot say anything about XD) had the right idea, but it was too linear. Each town should have storylines within it. Now, on the routes themselves, they should be bigger too. In Colosseum, all that ever happens is your character riding on his hog. Well, I want to add to that. Running from one town to the next would be tiring, as would pedaling your *** off on a bike. Nothing like climbing aboard an appropriate Poke and roam around on them. Of course you couldn't ride or fly on a Poke early, just like you cannot get the HM Fly early in the game either. Only a good trainer would have enough trust from its Poke in order to ride it. When you start out, you are going to be hoofing it. Gotta earn those privileges, my friend. That just opens up a lot of possibilities later in the game.

And once again, as you have said, my ideas are NOT for a handheld. What I am thinking about probably wouldn't even work on a DS either. No, this would have to be on a Nintendo console that rivaled PS3 or XBox 360. Not sure if they are planning on anything, but this would definitely give me incentive to buy it. I am already saving up money to get a DS so that I can play the upcoming DP version. Just my thoughts.
    Never said your ideas were for a handheld its just everyone keeps thinking that and I will say some of your ideas could be used in the 2D situation like the one about riding your Pok?mon.

At the end of the day Running Shoes and a Bicycle is pretty much running fast so riding a Pok?mon be no different so if you get tired the using Running Shoes and Bicycle then you get tired of riding your Pok?mon as the only difference would be the fact you see a Pok?mon sprite under you when your moving fast. But it would pose as a nice alternative to using the other two ways of getting around fast, one way I think it could be useful is riding a Pok?mon that knows fly as you move fast but avoid all the wild Pok?mon except maybe for any flying types.

And yes I love to see areas be bigger in both the 2D games and the kind of 3D games they could make because if you think about it if you combined all the towns of one game really it be like maybe 3 small to mid sized towns instead of the many due to there being so few houses and people per town.

Last edited:
    Years
  • new disc technology is being made right now that holds alot of space...so i must say...this all just may be possible in about 5 years atleast...

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    phunboy said:
    Never said your ideas were for a handheld its just everyone keeps thinking that and I will say some of your ideas could be used in the 2D situation like the one about riding your Pok?mon.
    Sorry, you are misunderstanding me again. I was agreeing with your early post about this not being for the 2D environment. For riding a Poke, I am taking the route GF did with the Mach/Acro bike. Riding a Poke would get you to your destination faster than a bike. With the routes being much larger, walking would be slower, biking would also slow a bit, making riding a Poke more valuable. I would also put in code that trainers would have to accomplish certain things in order for their Pokes to trust them enough to ride them. This would also encourage trainers to raise their Pokes correctly. Similar to the happiness model. Stuffing RCs down a Poke will raise its level, but not its trust. I got a bunch of ideas bouncing around my little brain on that one.

As for flying on a Poke, I would like you to be able to see the wild Pokes on the ground, giving you the control as to whether to swoop down and initiate a battle or not. As you said though, there would still be wild encounters with flying Pokes in certain areas too. I doubt we would ever see a Pokemon game that encompases all that I have suggested though. That is why I ended my original post with WOW. That game would simply own.

Years
    • MD
    • Seen Mar 17, 2007
    shanecdavis said:
    Sorry, you are misunderstanding me again. I was agreeing with your early post about this not being for the 2D environment. For riding a Poke, I am taking the route GF did with the Mach/Acro bike. Riding a Poke would get you to your destination faster than a bike. With the routes being much larger, walking would be slower, biking would also slow a bit, making riding a Poke more valuable. I would also put in code that trainers would have to accomplish certain things in order for their Pokes to trust them enough to ride them. This would also encourage trainers to raise their Pokes correctly. Similar to the happiness model. Stuffing RCs down a Poke will raise its level, but not its trust. I got a bunch of ideas bouncing around my little brain on that one.

As for flying on a Poke, I would like you to be able to see the wild Pokes on the ground, giving you the control as to whether to swoop down and initiate a battle or not. As you said though, there would still be wild encounters with flying Pokes in certain areas too. I doubt we would ever see a Pokemon game that encompases all that I have suggested though. That is why I ended my original post with WOW. That game would simply own.
    Well, obviously riding certain Pok?mon be faster than a bicycle I mean just imagine riding the super fast Arcanine. Course at the same time some may be slower like say a Snorlax.

As for your Flying Pok?mon I don't think that work for a 2D game but it probably work for a 3D one.

And ya if a 3D Pok?mon game was made the way you, me and probably alot of Pok?mon fans would like it would be awesome and probably re-vitalize the series as though Pok?mon is still popular its not like it was back in the day during the Pok?mon craze.

awkwardsilencer said:
    new disc technology is being made right now that holds alot of space...so i must say...this all just may be possible in about 5 years atleast...
    What are you saying, its possible now and in fact it was possible years ago. Maybe graphically it wouldn't look as good but it still was possible a few years back like look at the Final Fantasy series, that is practically the same in game structure as you control an avatar aka the Trainer and run around battling monsters. I think your thinking about a game where Pok?mon were visible and not invisible until encountering them and in that case yes I would say the game definitely couldn't have been made earlier and should be makable with the Next Gen Consoles.

Twilight Itachi X

Twilight X. The ultimate.
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Sep 17, 2008
    No, I don't think it should be 3D. Pokemon games are always better in 2D. Pokemon Colosseum and XD were pretty good, but not with the real feel like the good 2D games on the handheld consoles. It should stick to 2D.

Years
    • Seen Oct 15, 2008
    kohei said:
    ...even though I said 2D will be good, maybe 3D isn't so bad after all.

If Pokemon ever becomes first-person :p

Seriously, if Pokemon was from the first person perspective, you feel more "ingame", and it might add more to the role-play part of the game.

I agree, first-person Pokemon would be absolutely awesome!

Years
    • MD
    • Seen Mar 17, 2007
    Opal Pikachu13 said:
    Pokemon Colosseum and XD were pretty good, but not with the real feel like the good 2D games on the handheld consoles. It should stick to 2D.
    That's because those games didn't play like the 2D ones do, if they would of played like those i.e. you get badges/capture a ton of Pokemon and so on the games would of had the "real feel" as you put it and that is the kind of 3D game I am talking about.

Back