• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

should some people be forgiven?

XUMENG34

Banned
Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2011
    I have been known to hold some very deep grudges toward people, and will probaly never forgive them for the action they made while they were fully aware of the effects it would have.

While not actively doing anything toward them, I do hate them.
    and will try to minimize any interaction i have with them.

Even if they try to ask for forgiveness I would just say no
    and walk away.

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
    Years
  • Of course.
    If they are really sorry, then all you can do is forgive them. It always makes me feel better to forgive and forget. Maybe too much. :D

Anthraxinsoup

Professional Vidya Player
    Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2011
    I hate paedophiles, and will never forgive them, like I will not forgive many people.

ShinyMeowth

Gone forever
    Years
  • It really depends on their action. My opinion is murderers, rapists, pedophiles, and drug dealers should never be forgiven. Lifetime in prison or execution, that's what they deserve. Con men are a different case. They deserve torture, execution and then damnation to hell. Lighter crimes, however, should be dealt with more lightly. I am sure somebody who steals say 100000 dollars for his daughter's surgery should be given a second chance, after like 10 years of prison or so.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • Anyone who sincerely wishes to reform and seeks forgiveness should be forgiven, provided their actions reflect their wishes.

aruchan

I resent the title beginner :D
    Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2011
    I am really bad at forgiving people. Like my mom, I keep lists. xD

Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2011
    yes, there are people that shouldn't be helped out at all. And I'm a guy who has objective morals, rather, I have morals that can be based on measurable things and removing religion all together.

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    I do think some people should be forgiven. Like those two 10 year old kids who killed a toddler; they were neglected and were never taught any morals or what-have-you, so they didn't know what they were doing was wrong. 20 years later, they're living well in another country with different names. The only thing either of them has done wrong since was one of them committed a very minor offence.

Some people have no hope though. Those that have a deep seeded hatred or belief that what they did was right must be kept behind bars.

ICon men are a different case. They deserve torture, execution and then damnation to hell.

Are you serious? I don't think conning is that great a crime. I mean sure, it deserves a prison sentence, but execution? Besides, as bad as it must have been for the recipient(s), I can't help but laugh about that guy who conned some people into supposedly buying the Eiffle Tower, The Ritz Hotel and the Statue of Liberty to tourists. I mean he must've been damned good.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    "Should some people be forgiven?"

...Yes. o_O

I'm the only one in my family that doesn't hold grudges. My sister and mother both hold ridiculous grudges, even if the offense was against me and I've already forgiven them for it. Then they get angry at me because I forgave the person and we became friends. It's rather frustrating.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    My religious beliefs dictate that I be open to forgiving all who sincerely pursue my forgiveness.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • Anyone who sincerely wishes to reform and seeks forgiveness should be forgiven, provided their actions reflect their wishes.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

I'm a believer in the maxims: 'An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind' as well as a truncated version of Yoda's 'hate' speech: 'Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.' Putting them into practice is certainly harder than it may seem, but it's ultimately worth it in the end.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • Given that a person's actions do reflect the fact that they've changed and and they seem sincerely sorry for what they did, a person should be forgiven.

However, this simply doesn't apply for repeated offenses.

Personally, I forgive but never forget. Yes I do keep track. Do I hold any anger over what happened in the past? Not for long, I do forgive quickly. But anytime someone builds a decent history of misdeeds, it becomes harder to trust them.

However, while it's true that actions speak louder than words, not every action pertains to one thing. Refusing to forgive someone because they made the same mistake once before is not something I subscribe to. As the cliche goes, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

Some people annoy me for "shits and grins" sometimes. A small portion of those people go beyond "just shits and grins". An even smaller portion of the previous group actually are malicious. But, in all honesty I don't seriously hate anyone. I can take a round disliking to a person, and this is true for anyone who goes "beyond shits and grins" when they're messing with me, but this is only guaranteed to happen if you get malicious. Usually it doesn't and I can give back what I get in good humor most of the time. >D

Years
  • I never forgive anyone for anything, and usually I let things go. But things such as felonies...No. They had a choice of whether or not to do it. If they had a good reason for doing that, then I would forgive them, and see their actions as just.

However, rape, molestation, and kidnapping are completely different. Those things are rare mind you, but for a reason: What on Earth could posses you to do such a thing?

If you killed someone, I can sympathize. But those three things above, along with terrorism to a degree, I can't forgive. It would make me question my own human consideration.

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    I cannot see a reason that I would never forgive someone for their transgressions. I am generally not a person to hold a grudge towards anyone. It takes too much energy to constantly be angry or upset with someone. Life is too short, and that energy is better spent doing something constructive than refusing to let go of something.

I have been on this Earth long enough to know that to constantly hold a grudge against someone only serves to cause further suffering. This world would be a whole lot better if people would just learn to let things go.

I believe everyone should be given the opportunity to seek forgiveness. For if they can't, how do we expect them to learn from their mistakes and grow to be a better person?

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I'm really strict, and yet so stubborn when it comes to forgiving people. Because at times when I do forgive someone, they will do something else wrong, and that prompts me to be mad at them and not forgive them again. There are people that I've known over the past years that I *still* haven't forgiven them. It's hard to decide whether you forgive or not.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Aug 28, 2012
    Personally, I think the only people someone should consider never forgiving is a murderer. Anyone who's done less than that does at least deserve consideration in forgiveness.

But personally, I very much dislike people like you. Those who are completely closed-minded to forgiving people. If someone realizes their mistake, then you should at least give them the chance to prove themselves. If everyone had a one-stike policy as you do, the world would get nowhere. God, I'd hate so many people if I didn't forgive anyone that's ever pissed me off once.

Almost everyone deserves a chance at redemption. Use your own, well-developped judgement to decide who does and who doesn't. If you never forgive, then you'll never be forgiven.

Froslass

Ice Champion
    Years
  • I think people can be forgiven but sometimes it hard. It's hard to say sorry if they have done something bad.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I think people should be forgiven but sometimes people including me still hold a small sliver of Grudge but not enough that one hates the person...then there are others who never forgive...

Back