• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should the legal age for marriage be raised?

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
What if a couple feels they want to marry at let's say... 15?

I was like that, but I waited to see how living together would work out. It's a big step, living together. At 15, I don't think you've lived with that person yet :\ and that's one of the biggest things about marriage and being together "forever".

100th post!

Code

Stealcase
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 23, 2021
If you're having sex, it's illegal.
Izanagi:

Actually, it's not, unless the parents object. Maybe in American Law, but not Canadian - and I live in Canada.
I just realized you're from Canadia. Legally, my mistake, but I still disagree with your opinion. Including the 16 year old girls being more mature than 19 year old boys. I'm more mature than alot of people I know, especially teenage girls.
Wow, how mature of you going into the subject of sex, asking for a reply on someone's personal life, and then boasting about how mature you are. XD

Marriage should have at least 18 as an age limit. People go through crushes and rushes, and some of them don't last. Why marry someone if it is just going to last for a short time? There and then you might think that "This is different. This is gonna last forever" but there are couples beyond counting who have thought that. What makes you so special? Nothing. People should really give it more thought. I hate divorces.
18 is the age where you are an "adult", so then it should be legal. Anything higher would be crazy. There are people who truly love each other, so they should be allowed to marry. I just think people need to put more thought into it.
That's hebephilia and it's still generally not accepted. Also, with the age difference it is very borderline pedophilia. Let me put it this way, I'm assuming he's seven years older than you as you said when he is 40 you will be 33. When he was 15 you were 8. Eight. Fifteen to eight. Do you remember when you were 15? Can you imagine having a commitment based relationship with someone who is eight? Seven year age difference is very high, and outside of the wealthy is generally frowned upon, more-so if the two are both under the age of 21 when the two start the relationship. In the United States it is very common for any male over the age of 18 who is seeing anyone 16 and younger publicly to be placed on Child Molestation watches. He most likely is.

This isn't really my business, but I felt it'd be nice to share some of the things I've learned in my line of work.
Wow, that was the most insane comparison I have ever seen....XD
Although, numerically the difference between the age I mentioned and the age you mentioned are literally identical. As far as maturity, I think your last post speaks loads on if you're mature enough to get married.
Lol, that's crazy. Man, are you for real? XD
The age comparison is crazy because 8 and 16 are VERY different.
Me and my brother are many years apart. My mother and her sister were as well. They saw each other as child and grown up respectively. But as they grew up, the age difference seemed smaller and smaller. When you are older, the age difference doesn't seem as big as long as the love is genuine, and your thoughts are the same.
Hope my point didn't disappear somewhere in there.....
-.-
XD
And I'm happy for you, Yusshin!
Congrats on you going to get married! =D

Last edited:

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
I'm glad we're on the same page xD 18-25 is entirely different from 8-15.

Thanks for the marriage congratulations :]

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
That's hebephilia and it's still generally not accepted. Also, with the age difference it is very borderline pedophilia. Let me put it this way, I'm assuming he's seven years older than you as you said when he is 40 you will be 33. When he was 15 you were 8. Eight. Fifteen to eight. Do you remember when you were 15? Can you imagine having a commitment based relationship with someone who is eight? Seven year age difference is very high, and outside of the wealthy is generally frowned upon, more-so if the two are both under the age of 21 when the two start the relationship. In the United States it is very common for any male over the age of 18 who is seeing anyone 16 and younger publicly to be placed on Child Molestation watches. He most likely is.

This isn't really my business, but I felt it'd be nice to share some of the things I've learned in my line of work.

While this thread has admittedly taken a bit of a turn toward both discussing Yusshin's relationship and discussing the actual topic, I'm afraid simply pointing out issues in the former is not on-topic enough. I'd suggest PMing her if you want to continue this tangent but I'm pretty sure she doesn't want to hear it. :s I appreciate the concern but I'm not sure this is the time/place for that. (I do realize this part of the conversation happened pages ago but I still wanted to call it out.)

On that note, guys, remember that this thread IS about raising the legal age at which one can be married. This is NOT a thread about Yusshin's relationship. I realize it's fairly relevant because she's a prime example of someone who would be hurt by raising the age, so (assuming she's okay with it), it's fine to talk about it in regards to that but the age difference thing that everyone has latched on to is really irrelevant as far as changing the legal age of marriage, so let's call that part of the discussion off, okay?

Years
  • Age 41
  • Seen Aug 19, 2010

Wow, that was the most insane comparison I have ever seen....XD

Lol, that's crazy. Man, are you for real? XD
The age comparison is crazy because 8 and 16 are VERY different.
Me and my brother are many years apart. My mother and her sister were as well. They saw each other as child and grown up respectively. But as they grew up, the age difference seemed smaller and smaller. When you are older, the age difference doesn't seem as big as long as the love is genuine, and your thoughts are the same.
Hope my point didn't disappear somewhere in there.....

I think one of the real issues with this topic on this forum is the general age of the forum. This IS a pokemon forum. See, I remember when I was 18 or so and I thought I was invincible. I remember thinking how huge of a difference it was now that I was 18, how grown up I was. Looking back, I was wrong. I laugh a bit now at all of it, but whatever, it was the 90s. We were all ridiculous back then!

Again, the difference is if the person has finished puberty or not. Someone age the age of 18 is not done with puberty yet. Contrary to popular belief, just because you don't seem to be growing and changing anymore (like Yusshin had mentioned) does not mean you really are done with puberty. Not to mention that this is Yusshin's admitted first relationship. Who here remembers HOW IN LOVE we were with our first loves? Who here is at least over the age of 25 and can remind me how NOT in love we were? Not saying she doesn't love him, but I am saying that statistically first loves fail on at least a 99% ratio. If not more.

For the record, I started developing when I was ten, and being 18 now, I'm pretty much done with this puberty thing :s I've done my fair share of growing, and I'm fully developped physically. I might change a bit mentally, but my values, morals, personality, etc. will stay the same. I might just become a bit maturer than I already am, but it's only going to have a positive effect on me overall, and not a negative one.

Ten is an average age for a young woman to start developing. That is not odd at all. I'd say, if anything you were possibly a year late or so as the majority in my experience has shown that females start puberty around late into age 8 or early into age 9. And no, you're not fully developed and you've not finished puberty at 18. I know it looks it and feels it but you've not.

Your values, morals and personality WILL change. Again, asking for posters age 25 and up. Do you remember when you were 18? Do you still believe in everything you did then? The correct answer is no. You see, mentality is purely based on maturity. Which is purely based on age. Your views continuously are changing.

Personally? I think the age to marry should be around 25 most likely. I'd probably be happy a little higher because I know some immature 25 year olds but I think 25 would be a good age. Someone that young just doesn't need to marry and to this day I've not known one conceived that young that succeeded in the long run, so 25 would force entries to be successful or not even waste their time =)

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
Spoiler:

We are no longer discussing the spoiler'd topic, now that both opinions have been clearly expressing :D Thanks for sharing; topic change:

Again, to bring the topic subject back into this, I believe 18 is a fine age pending the individual.

Years
  • Age 41
  • Seen Aug 19, 2010
Spoiler:

We are no longer discussing the spoiler'd topic, now that both opinions have been clearly expressing :D Thanks for sharing; topic change:

Again, to bring the topic subject back into this, I believe 18 is a fine age pending the individual.

I was in no way discussing your relationship. I was talking about OPs topic. Not sure why you'd quote me and suggest I was talking about anything other than OPs topic when my ENTIRE POST is about how 18 isn't physically developed and it's not old enough for marriage. Just because you were quoted =/= the post was about your specific relationship.

Trap-Eds

Dig a hole, dig a hole........
Years
My dad is nine years older than my mom. He's in his early sixties, she's in her late fifties and they still love each other to bits. :3

As I'm sure everyone else has said a hundred times in this thread, marriage depends on maturity, not age. That being said, for a huge age gap like, 16 and 35, a loving relationship should be something like father/mother/daughter/son, and nothing more.

Years
Age is not the issue.
It's the people. People are always the problem. It's just that these days we have more ways to be unfaithful arse towards your boyfriend/girlfriend, or money.

So it should stay as-is. Yusshin is on the right track with the age, so I won't re-quote.

Years
  • UK
  • Seen Apr 29, 2010
But your childhood dies at 14 when people start telling you to grow up and stop acting like a kid.

I agree, as soon as you find out how the real world works, e.g. Jobs, Money, Society you really begin to feel more adult! unless you are an idiot XD But Marriage is a sacred bond you should only get married if both persons (yes I believe in gay marriage) really feel commited to sticking together and getting through problems together!

Neil Peart

Learn to swim
Years
Right, "maturity" reasons. The divorce rate for those married at 20 or older is still 36 percent. You'll have immature idiots no matter what age you are - get over it.

Back