• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should We Have a Light-Type?

Should We Have a Light-Type?

• Total voters

vibratingcat

new username, razzbat
    Years
    hmm... it hasnt felt necessary up until i heard of the new games. i mean it would be pretty cool if the legendaries were a dark and light type. and i dont see how it would screw up typing.
    light type
    super effective to: dark, ghost
    not very effective to: poison, flying, fighting
    super effective when receiving: dark, psychic
    not very effective when receiving: ghost, ground
    i just made it up on the spot, but it should be possible.
    and how is it similar to psychic, steel and electric? psychic is all about using attacks from the brain, steel is a physical form, electricity may be like light, but u can be evil and still use electricity. I think the light type should be more based on the purity of the heart/soul and healing powers. For example, a healing move that can be used on any player on the battle field, but hurts if the pokemon is a dark, ghost or psychic.
    another is an attack that does damage based on how much the opponent loves they're trainer, if they hav one. so it would do massive damage on the evil Team's pokemon.
    I'm not sure, but their are a whole heap of possibilities and ideas. though I don't think its necessary, it would be cool, and it wouldnt ruin the game. unless dark cant beat light. then i will rage. XD
    People who think there are too many types, its not going to make much of a differance if they add just another one.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    I am one of those crazy people who won't be satisfied until there is indeed a Light Type introduced due to the fact that Dark needs a proper counterpart and Psychic is based on magic, mind control, and other psychic powers, Electric is obviously not in the question, and Steel does not make sense at all in comparison to the Dark Type. Light should be based on purity and innocence, and extraordinary powers. Normal Type is just used as a category for Pokemon who don't fit into any other Elemental type, and if there can be an abnormal Normal category, there could absolutely be a Light Type, and Pokemon Black and White is the perfect opportunity to introduce it.

Its only weaknesses should be Dark and Dragon and it should be strong against Dark and Ghost.

vibratingcat

new username, razzbat
    Years
    I am one of those crazy people who won't be satisfied until there is indeed a Light Type introduced due to the fact that Dark needs a proper counterpart and Psychic is based on magic, mind control, and other psychic powers, Electric is obviously not in the question, and Steel does not make sense at all in comparison to the Dark Type. Light should be based on purity and innocence, and extraordinary powers. Normal Type is just used as a category for Pokemon who don't fit into any other Elemental type, and if there can be an abnormal Normal category, there could absolutely be a Light Type, and Pokemon Black and White is the perfect opportunity to introduce it.

Its only weaknesses should be Dark and Dragon and it should be strong against Dark and Ghost.
    YES! nicely put. they need to change some pokemon into light type like togepi. why the dragon weakness though? dragon should just hav one type it can beat which is itself.

Haza

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Because it seemed like an instantly uber type to have only one weakness... or maybe if not Dragon, then Poison, which would make it impure.

vibratingcat

new username, razzbat
    Years
    Because it seemed like an instantly uber type to have only one weakness... or maybe if not Dragon, then Poison, which would make it impure.
    poison would be nice. it seems like alot of people on here are complaining about poision being too weak, so its a good idea. XD

Haza

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Yeah, that would be quite awesome... giving Poison an advantage over a good type making it more useful while also adding my most wanted type! Love.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
    Bad idea because Pokemon already have their types, it'll be wrong to add Light to certain Pokemon. Creating new ones for Light Type however, is fine my me :D

Haza's pro-Light Type argument is really good.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
    The main problem with Light-types that I see is that I have no idea what to do with it. First you'd have to make moves like Flash Cannon, Aurora Beam, Charge Beam, Morning Sun, Moonlight, Synthesis, Sunny Day, Doom Desire, Mirror Shot, Light Screen, Reflect, Mirror Coat, Solarbeam, Flash, Signal Beam, etc. Light-type because that's what they are, and then there's really not much else to do. You already have five attacks based on a beam of light, three healing moves, and a move that doesn't fit in, boosting Fire-type moves (you could say it also powers up Light-type attacks, but that defies science since light only gets weaker in more light). What else is there to do? You could add a physical Light-type attack, maybe a sword or a punch or something, but that's basically about it. What's light going to do to you anyway? Ohh nooo, it just dissolved the ozone and made Steel-type a pure physical type in one go o_o

As for the argument of Light being the reflection of purity, I think that argument is moot. There are plenty of kind-hearted Pokemon that I would rather not see as a Light-type. Togetic can hardly learn any type of light-based move anyway. Hell, even the two Pokemon who can purify substances, Suicune and Shaymin, would suck utterly as Light-types. Then, it's not fair to all the other Pokemon, since they're not pure anyway. I think light is just that -- light; light energy, glowy flashlight on/off switch sort of thing.

Then there's a lot of Pokemon you really should reclassify as Light-type, like Latios and Larias, Solrock, Lunatone, Cresselia, Chinchou, Lanturn, Lucario, Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Phione and Manaphy, etc. and all of a sudden you have all these Pokemon... doing the same thing they would have done if they stayed their old types. Then, since you've just added so many Light-types, you need to make competitive replacements for old Psychic types instead of making new Light-types in Gen 5, which is what everyone wants to see anyway. Hell, Arceus should be a Light-type and not be able to change plates anymore since he's God and everything.

Anyway, if you won't listen to me. At least, for the sake of logic, make Light not very effective against Grass-types.

loliwin

→ Level 69
    Years
    It'd be great if the Light-type can have a 'super effective' over Ghost/Dark types. Damn hacked Spiritombs and Sableyes. >_>

Code

Stealcase
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Apr 23, 2021
    Not necessarily. It would obviously require some arrangement of types. But if anything, that would make it easier to balance the fewer types that are needed. Each type should have the same number of strengths, weaknesses, and resistances. But it's much too difficult to do that while juggling 17 (let alone 18) types. Some of the type weaknesses and advantages don't even make sense, but for the sake of balance, bug is strong against psychic and dark is weak against fighting. That should all just be scrapped and redone.
    Code used Counter! It's super effective!!!

That would destroy competitive battling as we know it, and also, it would never happen. Merging types into eachother because you can't keep up is one of the childish thoughts I thought when I was in 5th grade. It's actually quite easy to remember type weaknesses and the likes. otakullily, how many competitive battles have you actually fought?

The Cynic

♥ These Perfect Abattoirs ♥
    Years
    The main problem with Light-types that I see is that I have no idea what to do with it. First you'd have to make moves like Flash Cannon, Aurora Beam, Charge Beam, Morning Sun, Moonlight, Synthesis, Sunny Day, Doom Desire, Mirror Shot, Light Screen, Reflect, Mirror Coat, Solarbeam, Flash, Signal Beam, etc. Light-type because that's what they are, and then there's really not much else to do. You already have five attacks based on a beam of light, three healing moves, and a move that doesn't fit in, boosting Fire-type moves (you could say it also powers up Light-type attacks, but that defies science since light only gets weaker in more light). What else is there to do? You could add a physical Light-type attack, maybe a sword or a punch or something, but that's basically about it. What's light going to do to you anyway? Ohh nooo, it just dissolved the ozone and made Steel-type a pure physical type in one go o_o

As for the argument of Light being the reflection of purity, I think that argument is moot. There are plenty of kind-hearted Pokemon that I would rather not see as a Light-type. Togetic can hardly learn any type of light-based move anyway. Hell, even the two Pokemon who can purify substances, Suicune and Shaymin, would suck utterly as Light-types. Then, it's not fair to all the other Pokemon, since they're not pure anyway. I think light is just that -- light; light energy, glowy flashlight on/off switch sort of thing.

Then there's a lot of Pokemon you really should reclassify as Light-type, like Latios and Larias, Solrock, Lunatone, Cresselia, Chinchou, Lanturn, Lucario, Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Phione and Manaphy, etc. and all of a sudden you have all these Pokemon... doing the same thing they would have done if they stayed their old types. Then, since you've just added so many Light-types, you need to make competitive replacements for old Psychic types instead of making new Light-types in Gen 5, which is what everyone wants to see anyway. Hell, Arceus should be a Light-type and not be able to change plates anymore since he's God and everything.

Anyway, if you won't listen to me. At least, for the sake of logic, make Light not very effective against Grass-types.

This was basically going to be my point. Add to the list of pokemon Shinx, Luxio, Luxray, Lumineon, Illumise and Volbeat and that would pretty much be my exact post.

Light would also be ineffective against steel, ice and water if we were to follow logic. It could be effective against Ghost, Dark and Psychic.

That girl!

Oopsie, my fault.
    Years
    I'm interested on everyone's views. With Black and White being unveiled discussion about the Light-type has picked up.

I'm against it, because it just doesn't seem necessary, and it's already represented by other types like electric, psychic, and steel. It could really mix things up, and not in a good way like the physical/special split. Of course, I'm just one person.

Wow. your avatar made me think that there was a bug in my screen. Nice one!

Anyway, I don't think Light-type would be useful. Well, I won't fight if the creators would make this a reality as long as they keep it presentable. With great imagination, I guess an additional Pokemon type won't hurt anyone.

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2013
    A light type would make the game too easy. Think about it. In pokemon games your enemy team is nearly ALWAYS evil, so they're bound to have a few dark types. If you get a light type you'll be dominating them all in one hit, which would be boring. I'm not saying it's certain that the opposite team will have a dark type but it's got a high chance... For example if you had a light type in Pokemon ruby, you wouldn't even have to look while battling, nearly everyone had a poochyena.

Haza

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021

You have got some excellent points and some rather dull ones as well but you can't fit everything in Pokemon to logic... you just can't.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years

You have got some excellent points and some rather dull ones as well but you can't fit everything in Pokemon to logic... you just can't.

And thus all your logical light-type argument is mooted.

The types are perfectly balanced as is, no need for Light type. xD

Years
    • Seen Sep 28, 2010
    A Light Type... I think it would be best for being exclusive to the B&W Versions, since the name says it all.
    However, if there were to ever have one, I guess it would be super effective against Dark and perhaps if a light-pokemon is taught flash, it would have another effect, much like the Curse move.

Haza

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    And thus all your logical light-type argument is mooted.

The types are perfectly balanced as is, no need for Light type. xD

Sweety, when you try and make science meet Pokemon, you are wasting the energy within your poor wittle finger tips...

Back