• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Shuckle

airconditioning

Take it slow, bro.
    Years
    I was thinking of a good build for Shuckle, and this popped into my head:

Shuckle @ Iron Ball
    Relaxed Nature
    EVs: 252 HP/ 132 Def/ 126 SDef
    -Rest/???
    -Substitute
    -Power Trick
    -Gyro Ball

What I was thinking of with this build was to Substitute, and then use Power Trick to swap Atk and Def. Then, use Gyro Ball to take advantage of Shuckle's extremely low speed (lowered even more, thanks to the Nature) and deal pretty good damage. Any thoughts/critiques/obvious counters?

airconditioning

Take it slow, bro.
    Years
    I'll give you an obvious counter. As soon as you use Sub, with his piss-poor HP, it will be destroyed the turn you use it. Power Trick will then wipe you out, giving him PA-thetic def.

Hm... well, I have no idea how a Substitute works, so I figured that the sub would have the Defense of the original Pokemon, or something like that, meaning it would be safe for a turn or two until Power Trick could be used.

Well, I'll just chalk this up to me being stupid.

Syaoran

most likely hates your guts
    Years
    Substitute Shuckle is not that bad. It will not die so easily with it's awesome defences and 252 evs in HP. I'd give him leftovers tho, his speed is low enough to reach the max possible damage on Gyro Ball.

First you Sub, then Power Trick, and the 3rd turn they break your sub, and you get the chance to kill one pokemon. The next one that comes in will kill you.

The entire technique can be countered in many ways, so I wouldn't advise using it.

airconditioning

Take it slow, bro.
    Years
    Substitute Shuckle is not that bad. It will not die so easily with it's awesome defences and 252 evs in HP. I'd give him leftovers tho, his speed is low enough to reach the max possible damage on Gyro Ball.

First you Sub, then Power Trick, and the 3rd turn they break your sub, and you get the chance to kill one pokemon. The next one that comes in will kill you.

That was... exactly what I was thinking. When I first thought of this, I figured that the Sub would be pretty resilient, lasting at least two turns.Although with a bit of planning, it might be possible to keep Shuckle alive for a bit longer (Power Trick to revert the Atk and Def, Rest, then start over again, perhaps? Of course, you'd still be wide open for attack on that first turn, so I wouldn't know how it would work without dedicating half of your team to making that Shuckle work.)

airconditioning

Take it slow, bro.
    Years
    EDIT Shuckle doesn't learn Trick Room. Rest wouldn't help it since it will be attacked before getting the chance to rest.

Good point. You'd need to have some sort of Trick Room Baton Passer to get any long-term use. And that would be just silly.
    Shuckle

Meh, I think I may stick with my staller/SR'er Shuckle.

Lapras1016

Water Poképhilic PKMN Master
    Years
    I recommend two sets for Shuckle, the Power Trick set and the Annoying tank set.

Let's do Power Trick first:

Shuckle @
    Ability: Sturdy
    Nature: Relaxed (-Spd, +Def)
    EV's: 252 A, 252 D, 4 SD
    Power Trick
    Earthquake
    Stone Edge
    Gyro Ball

I don't know what to give it, so you decide. If you'll give it a Berry, make sure its ability is Gluttony. ;)

Then the Annoying Tank set:

Shuckle @Grip Claw
    Ability: Sturdy
    Nature: Impish (-Sp. Atk/+Def)/Careful (-Sp. Atk/+Sp. Def)
    EV's: 176 HP, 80 D, 252 SD (Impish), 176 HP, 252 D, 80 SD (Careful)
    Rest
    Double Team
    Toxic
    Wrap

What you do here is to use Double Team to increase your accuracy. Then, use Toxic on the opponent and use Wrap on it. With Grip Claw, Wrap's trapping power is made longer.

Iceman3k

Kickin' it Tribal GO Style
    Years
    Personally, Power Trick shouldn't be used unless in conjunction with Rock Polish. And that takes the utmost prediction to work.

PKDante

Mr Legs
    Years
    Double team is awesome, people just whine about it too much, my shuckle has double team, it's a good move to have in a shuckle set.

If evasion moves really were illegal they wouldn't have been put in the game for people to use :P

DAN!

sims796

We're A-Comin', Princess!
    Years
    And to you, PK, the reason it is illegal is because, as I said, it makes you untouchable. With about 4 Double Teams, it is virtually impossible for you to get hit. And with Shuckle's defence, it will make him invincible. Just cause they put it in the game, doesn't make it fair play.

I'm playing Paper Mario. One bad guy can do immense damage, and immobilise you, and attack more that once. Once he hit me, I had to put the controller down, cause there was nothing I could do.

Back