• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sick of Ash?

Should they...?

• Make Ash a less central character in the anime

Votes: 141 29.1%
  • Make a new anime series altogether

Votes: 186 38.4%
  • Keep it the same

Votes: 157 32.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    What about the other 1% of the viewers out there?

They're completely meaningless to the franchise. Pokemon, as a franchise, isn't made to have long term fans. It's made to be perpetually replenished by a new generation of kids, just like many kids' based franchises. There's nothing WRONG with being 15/18/20/30 and liking Pokemon, but it's not meant for them. And because most fans "grow out" of Pokemon and move on to whatever you wacky kids like nowadays (is POG still popular?), then we move back to my original statement: The few old/nostalgia fans they have are relatively meaningless to the franchise.

Honestly, everyone over 15 years old could stop supporting Pokemon as they are, and it'd still be a huge success. The target audience is 6-11 boys...or more specifically, their parents.

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
    They're completely meaningless to the franchise. Pokemon, as a franchise, isn't made to have long term fans. It's made to be perpetually replenished by a new generation of kids, just like many kids' based franchises. There's nothing WRONG with being 15/18/20/30 and liking Pokemon, but it's not meant for them. And because most fans "grow out" of Pokemon and move on to whatever you wacky kids like nowadays (is POG still popular?), then we move back to my original statement: The few old/nostalgia fans they have are relatively meaningless to the franchise.

Honestly, everyone over 15 years old could stop supporting Pokemon as they are, and it'd still be a huge success. The target audience is 6-11 boys...or more specifically, their parents.
    What's POG?

I don't know if this is getting out of topic, but I just have to say that Pokémon doesn't have the same amount of fan-base as it used to have, even if it's aimed for younger kids.

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    What's POG?

Exactly.

I don't know if this is getting out of topic, but I just have to say that Pokémon doesn't have the same amount of fan-base as it used to have, even if it's aimed for younger kids.

The games have always been huge sellers. The non-game stuff took a huge dive after the "fad" wore off (usually pinpointed at the end of the Johto saga, if you want it in anime terms). Merch sales dropped, movie runs in theaters stopped, anime viewership was down. But I've seen a few press releases from Cartoon Network saying they love the ratings it gets now, and the merchandise is a lot more available than it was a few years ago.

While the non-game fan base may be smaller, I really doubt that there's a lot of older fans in it. I'd be surprised if older fans even made up of 10% who buy the games.

Crystal-Heart

~Black & White~
    Years
    I don't mind Ash staying around, but I don't like the constantly changing female lead.
    Ash & Brock got to stay, but after Johto, Misty left, then May left after Hoenn, and I'm sure Dawn (my fav. thus far) will leave after Sinnoh is over and done with.

I would like to see more of Pokemon Chronicles, especially Marina. Maybe they could introduce Silver, or whatever his name will be, since he had a cameo in the opening of their special.

Seadiga

Art is a bang, hm!
    Years
    Nintendo makes the games and funds the anime,The Pokemon Company does the Moves and Shows along with Pikachu Project.But Nintendo stared and could probely make big changes to the anime,you can email them at the Offical Pokemon Site

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    Nintendo makes the games and funds the anime,The Pokemon Company does the Moves and Shows along with Pikachu Project.But Nintendo stared and could probely make big changes to the anime,you can email them at the Offical Pokemon Site

The Pokemon Company handles licensing and merchandise. It does not make the movies or the anime. The only role is has in the anime is it's affiliated company, Pokemon USA, dubs the anime for the US. The Pikachu Project makes the movies, and the Oriental Lights and Magic make the anime series. Bulbapedia contradicts itself a bit, saying movies are made by Pikachu Project, but OLM's page says it does both.

Nintendo doesn't make the games either. Gamefreak makes the core games, and Nintendo licenses affiliates to produce all of the secondary games.

I also highly doubt Nintendo funds the anime, since then it basically means it's being made at a loss. I'm sure the anime makes enough money to fund itself.

Dragonbane

Beards are now mandatory
    Years
    I would like to see more of the playable game characters in there,
    like Red, Gold, Lucas, etc...

Vyro

Master Douchelord
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2014
    *Pushes ash off a cliif* Not anymore!

but seriously, I'm sick of him and his stupid voice...

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    We should burn this thread at the stake, it's been annoying me for months. It just won't die. I can't believe that out of all the threads in this section, this is the one that keeps coming back again and again...

Vyro

Master Douchelord
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2014
    *pushes ash off of an even higher cliff* Hahahahaha!!

I hate ash... he won't even catch a legendary...

Yamikarasu

Wannabe Hasbeen
    Years
    I would enjoy an entirely new series altogether. Although, it would probably still have to revolve around gyms and the league, etc., since that is what the games should and will be about, but at least they could broaden their target audience.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back